Author Topic: Windoze7 fresh install oline activation  (Read 3856 times)

Offline StillTryingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Windoze7 fresh install oline activation
« on: May 05, 2021, 03:53:55 pm »
Will Win7 still activate online?

Freshly reinstalled Win7 end of December, online activation was no problem, have the Dell Win7+SP1 CD.

Slowness on large files soon came back, turned out to be the HDD. :palm:

Relaced HDD, only H/Wchange that's ever been done to this old PC AFAIK.

Fresh install, online activation gave the 80072EFD error, checked bios date/time is accurate, turned off firewalls, no antivirus S/W.

35 Hours later it's now showing something different, any bright, simple, free :) ideas to try next?
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Re: Windoze7 fresh install oline activation
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 05:16:55 pm »
Just call them as instructed.
You activated your copy too many times and they want to know the reason.
I had no problem (quite some years ago) activating my Windows after calling them.
Just be prepared to type many numbers and letters...

Regards,
Vitor

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 02:45:41 pm »
Is windows 7 still supported ?

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 04:35:13 pm »
You activated your copy too many times and they want to know the reason.

I don't know how many times would be too many? And how many times the OP actually activated it?

I can tell you I have a Win 7 install that dates back to 2009 and that I have kept cloning when I upgraded hardware instead of reinstalling. It has known several generations of motherboards, CPUs, and HDD/SSDs. Absolutely no issue, it always activated properly.

Dunno if there is a difference depending on the version, though. My Win 7 is the Ultimate version. Maybe it allows more activations? Or maybe the fact I cloned instead of reinstalling helped here?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 06:20:26 pm »
The OEM versions are machine locked. They can never be moved to different hardware. When you buy a full version it's okay to move from machine to machine as long as only a single existence is in use.

If you know you're going to reinstall, you can make backups of the tokens and product key files ahead of time, then copy them to the new install which bypasses the need to reactivate. Not sure how much hardware change is allowed in that case though.

I replaced the HDD in a Windows 7 computer last month. It was easier to just use an external drive to make a full backup and restore from that to the new SSD. That left the original drive unaltered in case of any problems. I just used the built in Windows Backup and Restore.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 01:02:10 am »
If this was a legit copy you actually purchased, I'd have no moral objections about using a "different key" in your shoes.

The following users thanked this post: boB

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 01:18:44 am »
Is windows 7 still supported ?

In the sense of updates and technical support, no. But you can still activate a fresh install.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 09:08:09 am »
It's not much hassle at all to run Windows 7 unactivated. I've been running one that way for nearly 10 years. Windows 7 comes with a "30 day Free Trial" which can easily be extended for as long as you want. Just google "slmgr -rearm"

I doubt Microsoft really cares about Windows 7 much anymore. The automated phone system activation was probably just the easiest way out for them. Even with Windows 10, I don't think they care much if you actually buy it or not.

I guess I'll find out soon. It's about time to replace that 10 year old Windows 7 machine.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 05:31:40 pm »
The OEM versions are machine locked. They can never be moved to different hardware. When you buy a full version it's okay to move from machine to machine as long as only a single existence is in use.

I actually bought an OEM version of 7 Ultimate at the time along with computer parts. As I said, I made a lot of changes to my setup and still have the same license, properly activated, no hack whatsoever.
As I mentioned, I have ALWAYS cloned it though when I changed drives instead of reinstalling. Dunno if that makes a difference. All I can say is the computer I'm running it on right now has exactly nothing to do with the original one I first installed Win 7 on. And it's still activated.

One thing I don't know though, is whether the OEM versions you can buy through retail along with computer parts is the same as the OEM versions that are preinstalled on vendor-built computers...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 05:33:18 pm by SiliconWizard »

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 02:14:22 am »
One thing I don't know though, is whether the OEM versions you can buy through retail along with computer parts is the same as the OEM versions that are preinstalled on vendor-built computers...
The latter is the former with more preinstalled crap. AFAIK all the other bits are exactly the same between "retail" and "OEM". The only difference is the licensing data.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 06:24:02 am »
Microsoft was often not real clear about the OEM license. It's possible they never really enforced it as it was stated. I think it was generally assumed to be primarily locked to the motherboard. All my experience is with the stand alone purchased version, not preinstalled. The preinstalled version is also called Volume License. I never tried to move a copy to a new motherboard, but I definitely had replaced everything else on a couple of machines with no reactivation needed.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 11:52:41 am »
normally they rely  on the slic information in the motherboard bios ..... the slic 2.1 and up ....  changed every thing around the board and  still activated or stayed activated.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 02:01:00 pm »

I think that might be it. I hadn't looked at the COA on the back since just copying the key in December.

If you know you're going to reinstall, you can make backups of the tokens and product key files ahead of time, then copy them to the new install which bypasses the need to reactivate. Not sure how much hardware change is allowed in that case though.

I think I've still got the option to put the old HDD in, intall just Win7 and activate it, I wouldn't know which tokens to copy or how to clone it on to the new HDD. :)

It was easier to just use an external drive to make a full backup and restore from that to the new SSD. That left the original drive unaltered in case of any problems. I just used the built in Windows Backup and Restore.

Sounds like I could try that, old HDD when/if activated backed up to usb stick or drive, then restore onto the unactivated Win7 HDD.

December was the 1st reactivation I'd done, this new HDD attempt is the second.

I'd tried some of the slmgr options.

I haven't tried to activate it since. The "1 day until automatic activation" doesn't seem to have changed since it came down from 3 days.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 02:03:41 pm by StillTrying »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 08:28:50 pm »
The 30 day trial lasts until the first time the computer is restarted after 30 days. it doesn't actually keep count of how many days have elapsed. Even if the first 30 days trial lasts a year, you still have 3 more.

Don't enter the CoA during the install and un-check automatically activate just to be sure. I personally disconnect the internet during installation. Seems like you need to disable the SPP Notification Service probably to get rid of the "This copy of Windows is not genuine" message above the systray. Not certain, since I haven't reinstalled since 2019, but that's what my notes say.

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, StillTrying

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 08:38:54 pm »

I think I've still got the option to put the old HDD in, intall just Win7 and activate it, I wouldn't know which tokens to copy or how to clone it on to the new HDD. :)

https://www.mydigitallife.net/how-to-backup-and-restore-windows-7-and-server-2008-r2-activation-status-activate-offline-on-reinstall/

Would probably be a good idea to save a copy for future reference.

The following users thanked this post: StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2021, 10:23:24 pm »

I think I've still got the option to put the old HDD in, install just Win7 and activate it,

Nope, I've given up on that option. old HDD is to bad, before removing the old HDD I had left it on slow format overnight, which completed eventually.

But after putting it back in, 4 attempts to re-install have failed, 1st 2 just after 'Extracting files' reaches 100% it's says there's files missing, I've checked the CD surface is perfect.
Reformatted, partitioned, tried bios HDD auto, legacy, performance. The old HDD fails the DST in the boot menu 'Diagnostics' of course.
Install now gets stuck at 'Install now' forever, so I think the old HDD is finished. :horse:

"I personally disconnect the internet during installation."

Yes everything is offline until I let it connect.

The "1 day until automatic activation" has changed to "Please activate within 27 days" :)

I've given up on a proper activation. :)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 04:58:20 pm »
Microsoft was often not real clear about the OEM license. It's possible they never really enforced it as it was stated.

It was never clear indeed, and IME, they never enforced it the way most people thought.

That's what Microsoft does. Same with Win10. The free upgrade from Win 7 was supposed to be an offer that would last only ONE year. Now everybody knows that it's still free after all these years, yet I haven't seen clearly anywhere on their website or any official statement that it was still free. It is, but they just don't say anything about it.

In the end, we also all know that what matters to them is that people use Windows, they don't much care about the licenses anymore.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 09:32:39 pm »
It was never clear indeed, and IME, they never enforced it the way most people thought.

That's what Microsoft does. Same with Win10. The free upgrade from Win 7 was supposed to be an offer that would last only ONE year. Now everybody knows that it's still free after all these years, yet I haven't seen clearly anywhere on their website or any official statement that it was still free. It is, but they just don't say anything about it.

In the end, we also all know that what matters to them is that people use Windows, they don't much care about the licenses anymore.

The "free for one year only" thing was pure marketing, it is a basic psychological trick to drum up demand, by creating the illusion that those who don't do it now will miss out. Of course it is in the best interest of MS to keep offering the "upgrade" indefinitely because Win10 is essentially 'Freemium' and the more people they get running it, the more money they can potentially make.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 05:38:46 pm »
I've given up on a proper activation. :)

So have you ever tried the phone activation?  ???

Don't worry, you will not encounter the Spanish inquisition -- and not even an annoying call center agent in my experience. Just an automated voice messaging system which lets you enter painfully long strings of numbers, both on your computer keyboard and on the phone keypad if I recall correctly.

I had to use this phone activation two or three times over the past few years when I reconfigured old laptop computers. It is mildly annoying (and I guess that's the intention) but works.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2021, 12:43:19 am »
"So have you ever tried the phone activation?"

No, not tried anything since, 20+30+30 days until the desktop wallpaper turns black. 8)

I'll try it when I think I can do 100 keypresses without a mistake.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2021, 04:52:25 pm »
search for remove wat ...

The following users thanked this post: StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2021, 04:58:08 pm »
What happened...

Well I'm glad I didn't waste any more time trying to activate that Win7 PC again.

It worked fine for 2 1/2 weeks, not even 1 problem, CPU mem and disk usage stayed low even with loads of tabs open.
And then waking from sleep out of the blue it blue screened instead of waking, on reboot there was nothing, using repair there was nothing to repair not even a C: partition. :horse:

I've since tried Win7 and Linux Mint on it, even after turning some of Mint's animations off Mint still seemed slower than Win7.

As it's a small and quiet PC and has worked fine for years, I might try re-flashing the bios, and then yet another cheap 160-320GB HDD on it.

Meanwhile got another working Win7 PC, £50. :)

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2021, 04:46:33 pm »
check the capacitors in it   if they show signs of failure  ...

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 11:31:03 pm »
Will Win7 still activate online?

Freshly reinstalled Win7 end of December, online activation was no problem, have the Dell Win7+SP1 CD.

Slowness on large files soon came back, turned out to be the HDD. :palm:

Relaced HDD, only H/Wchange that's ever been done to this old PC AFAIK.

Fresh install, online activation gave the 80072EFD error, checked bios date/time is accurate, turned off firewalls, no antivirus S/W.

35 Hours later it's now showing something different, any bright, simple, free :) ideas to try next?

Nerdy adolescents refer to product names in this fashion. It's not "cool" to do so, it makes one not want to assist.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2021, 02:59:44 pm »
Windoze ?  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf