Author Topic: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon  (Read 1324137 times)

Sergey61 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Re: Question for SDS7102 owners
« Reply #2575 on: August 12, 2014, 01:33:05 pm »
Hi!

I am considering purchasing this scope and have read all of the available manuals etc. but I had a couple of questions that were not answered by reading the manual.

1) Does this scope have a waveform averaging function?  If so, what is the range of samples that it can take?
2) For the FFT function, what is the range of points that can be selected?
3) Can this scope perform an FFT on a portion of the displayed waveform?

Thanks for all of your help!

OldTimer

1. Yes it have.

In User manual:
ACQU MODE Menu
Average: 4, 16, 64, 128

In User manual:
FFT function in this oscilloscope transforms 2048 data points of the time-domain (YT) signal into its frequency components mathematically and the final frequency contains 1024 points ranging from 0Hz to Nyquist frequency.

3. If you mean that is it possible to user select portion (example with cursors or other way) of YT trace for FFT: Not possible.   (Of course it is possible externally if take sampled waveform to computer and use what ever FFT analyzing software.)

Scope  use always 2048 data points for produce FFT. (user can not select this) And in FFT operation YT display is not available.  (not windowed YT / FFT display)

Also here something about Owon FFT
http://owon.freeforums.org/some-tests-with-fft-t8.html
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:40:15 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline OldTimer

Re: Question for SDS7102 owners
« Reply #2576 on: August 12, 2014, 02:17:55 pm »
Hi!

I am considering purchasing this scope and have read all of the available manuals etc. but I had a couple of questions that were not answered by reading the manual.

1) Does this scope have a waveform averaging function?  If so, what is the range of samples that it can take?
2) For the FFT function, what is the range of points that can be selected?
3) Can this scope perform an FFT on a portion of the displayed waveform?

Thanks for all of your help!

OldTimer

1. Yes it have.

In User manual:
ACQU MODE Menu
Average: 4, 16, 64, 128

In User manual:
FFT function in this oscilloscope transforms 2048 data points of the time-domain (YT) signal into its frequency components mathematically and the final frequency contains 1024 points ranging from 0Hz to Nyquist frequency.

3. If you mean that is it possible to user select portion (example with cursors or other way) of YT trace for FFT: Not possible.   (Of course it is possible externally if take sampled waveform to computer and use what ever FFT analyzing software.)

Scope  use always 2048 data points for produce FFT. (user can not select this) And in FFT operation YT display is not available.  (not windowed YT / FFT display)

Also here something about Owon FFT
http://owon.freeforums.org/some-tests-with-fft-t8.html

Thanks!

1)  Thanks for translating that item from their "marketing phrase" in the manual.  I missed that.

2) Yes, I had seen that in the manual but I was wondering if any alternate size was available for the FFT.  Obviously not. :(

3) This is what I currently need to do with my current DSO and it is a real pain, so I was HOPING that might available on the scope. 

On another note, how easy is it to transfer data from the scope to a computer (so as to make #3 tolerable)?

Thanks again for all of your help!

OldTimer

Offline BBAAHHOO

• Contributor
  • ardent fan :-)
Re: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon
« Reply #2577 on: August 22, 2014, 07:43:44 am »
Hello everyone. I have trouble ... Tribrach ceased to function (does not lock signal). Help me. Give details of their devices. With chips:
BU2506FV (pin 19,18,11,10,1) and LMH6574 (pin 13,12,1,3,5,7,6,14). If not difficult to measure without a stylus all the settings to zero. And the settings on the test tone (1 kHz 5v). Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:12:58 am by BBAAHHOO »

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2578 on: August 22, 2014, 05:44:35 pm »
Hello everyone. I have trouble ... Tribrach ceased to function (does not lock signal). Help me. Give details of their devices. With chips:
BU2506FV (pin 19,18,11,10,1) and LMH6574 (pin 13,12,1,3,5,7,6,14). If not difficult to measure without a stylus all the settings to zero. And the settings on the test tone (1 kHz 5v). Thanks in advance.

Hi BBAAHHOO,

I imagine this is some kind of photographic equipment that attaches to the tripod. Don't have any idea myself of how it works or how to repair it, sorry!

You may want to also try posting a new thread on the repair section:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/

It's possible that some members that frequent that section may have some experience with this! :)

Try posting as many details as you can!

Offline hansi

« Reply #2579 on: August 25, 2014, 12:00:46 pm »
Hello everybody
i got a new SDS 7102V
The SDS show me the FW Nr is 3.5
On the homepage of Owon in China I can see that there is an update available.
My Serialn ist SDS 7102V1414xxx

Can you help me to make a decision if it is good to update my new unit?
What is the latest update Version Nr?
And are they many difference between my FW 3.5 Version and the latest available FW Version?

many thanks in advance

greetings from austria
hansi

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2580 on: August 25, 2014, 01:31:09 pm »
hi hansi,

Your scope is very new and according to Owon doesn't need an upgrade. You can check this out here by entering your model and serial:

http://www.owon.com.hk/main.asp

If you don't enter your serial there is an upgrade listed that applies to your scope, however, if you install it you'll probably won't see any difference in performance because according to Owon you already have it. The number of the latest firmware release is not the same for all SDS7102s, it depends on the serial number.

Offline testarea

« Reply #2581 on: August 26, 2014, 06:40:48 am »
As to OWON products, I have something to mention, if you are in USA, better by from local distributor such as www.saelig.com, because, if you buy from ebay or Amazon, they don't take care of your after sales service, if the scope failed, the seller on ebay or amazon will ask you send back to China for repair, that is really upset.

Offline BBAAHHOO

• Contributor
« Reply #2582 on: August 26, 2014, 07:15:02 am »
It is a pity that you can not help me ... :( :-BROKE

Offline hansi

« Reply #2583 on: August 26, 2014, 10:17:47 am »
dear tomc
many thanks for your fast answer.
I am very happy with the scope
greetings
hansi

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2584 on: August 26, 2014, 07:26:52 pm »
It is a pity that you can not help me ... :( :-BROKE

I don't understand what is your question! What is the "Tribrach" and how this related with the Owon SDS7102?

Offline BBAAHHOO

• Contributor
« Reply #2585 on: August 27, 2014, 02:11:49 am »
Trigger - Capture signal amplitude level .... I hope somebody metering signals on a chip, and lay them to find my fault.

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2586 on: August 27, 2014, 02:48:59 am »
I had bricked my scope in a failed firmware update. My scope was purchased from an Ebay seller. Saelig provided me with files to recover from the failure, and I now have a working scope with the latest firmware for my serial number.

As to OWON products, I have something to mention, if you are in USA, better by from local distributor such as www.saelig.com, because, if you buy from ebay or Amazon, they don't take care of your after sales service, if the scope failed, the seller on ebay or amazon will ask you send back to China for repair, that is really upset.

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2587 on: August 27, 2014, 06:26:02 pm »
@BBAAHHOO = Now, I see what you said...unfortunately, I haven't this time the unit open.
@radhaz = Can you provide us these files via an up-loader internet area?

Offline Sarasir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2588 on: August 27, 2014, 11:22:49 pm »
Hi TomC, rf-loop, lemon and whoever's interested,

last weeks I dug into denoising these switchers and finally I'm able to come up with a new 'installment' to use TomC's expression.

I would call this,

(and please get me clear in that I use upper case further down only to indicate a headline - not shouting even though I would like to shout a bit at all this professional designers of and writers about how to denoise SMPSs! But you never know. Certainly not all of them because I read somwhere on a page of a supplier of sealed and small converters that his ones are free of noise and well suited to supply sensitive circuitry. So I knew in front of my experiments that such thing must be able to be designed somehow. And not to mention all those books on amazon and ebay - and believe me I didn't search for them but these advertisement algorithms became quite advanced nowadays, almost mystical - about SMPSs at prices I thought, wow! there must be lots of fine information - quite above 100$/€ many of them - bu didn't buy one of them.)

so here it is:

HOW TO DENOISE A SWITCHING DC-DC CONVERTER PROPERLY
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you know how to do it it's quite easy but it took me a while and a few redesigns of my prototype to find out.

Please understand that I didn't document all stages I went through including the performance of the original circuit on OWON's adapter PCB. I think that everybody who's got aware of these problems should be able to understand everything from what I post and write. It' just a lot of work to take and prepare the pics and it took me many days.

Setting out from my capacitors test tounament - TomC you certainly remember - I thought that that should give the basic idea how to denoise these converters.

So I designed a little PCB also with much better layout than OWON's design for to generate as little as possible spikes in the circuit itself according to some ideas given in the papers I found on the web and also got from you here (TomC, thanks again).

And when testing found again these unpleasing spikes on my Tek 475A.

So went into further thinking. What I had done was, as my capacitor tournament showed, to arrange several ceramics beginning with 10/20uF 3.2mm going down to 100nF 1.5mm on input and output all connected in a straight chain - no shortcuts - and in between a ferrite bead.

The failure in my design was that I used a too wide ground area in between the circuit and the outside (in-/output). That there should be only one ground connection between the switcher and the outside was clear to me before (and no vias at all inside the circuit) but not that there must not be any space in between the opposite filter Cs also on the ground side.

So I redesigned my PCB and finally arrived at the trick:

That is that the ground run must be also as thin as possible almost like the positive in/out lines!

I would call this 'Straight Line Back To Back' Design!

What it means is to arrange the in/out filter capacitors not only in a straight line but also back to back one after the other and pretty symetrical.

With a broad ground connection and the filter Cs on both sides HF currents would build up inside the ground area making it only possible to denoise either the input or the output but never both of them at the same time.

And as you can see on the pics below it worked.

So again in one sentence:

There should be only one quite narrow ground connection to and from a switcher (in one line!) with it's filter Cs arranged straight down/up this line symetrically just as the hot lines should connect the other sides of the Cs one after the other also by thin tracks.

And It didn't need any beads anymore they are actually useless in this configuration and don't work much anyways. The two toroids I used on the in- and output are for to filter out remainders of the switching frequency itself and even more also the remainding regulator loop's feedback oscillation, not the spikes and the HF ringing.

I used two 100nF ceramics as a final HF killer after the toroids and soldered them directly to the back of the BNC connector and again there where little spikes to be seen. Only after i moved them close together on one side of the BNC ground sleeve also these spikes where gone.

So the whole design has conducted me to the understanding that expresses itself best through the fact that even a BNC connector will not be free of internal HF voltage drops as long as you do not connect it the right way!

And we almost could have known before only, that even on the ground plane just a few millimeters count so much was not really clear to me - thanks a lot rf-loop for pointing in that direction time and again.

(And be aware that there is a big difference in between conducting metal and shielding metal. Conducting metal causes HF radiation due to the voltage drops of the conducted HF in accordance with the in the metal inherent complex resistances, whereas the only shielding metal reduces radiation. Still to think about further why exactly...)

And btw I used a tantalum chip also at the output after the toroid as it performed marginally better concerning inherent noise what means - an I haven't examined that closer yet - that I guess that these very dense ceramic Cs - e.g. 10uF 3.2mm - create also some kind of broadband noise inside - not very high up rather below HF. You can see that kind of noise on the output screen shots as it is the same with both capacitor types only the tantalum seems a bit lower.

The tantalum at the input is just a replacement fot the 220uF reservoir C on the original adapter PCB.

And I have used double sided epoxy for my little PCB and the lower side is connected to ground only at the BNC connector.

(Some basic ideas to this where also influenced somehow by my oil-can test you probably remember?)

So to make a long story short here are the pics and hopefuly I haven't forgotten anything important but I'm sure and also thankful in advance that you would tell me if so.

Just take the file names please for description so far.

And not to forget also to write it down, there is neither HF noise nor spikes anymore on the in- and output of the redesigned +3.3V buck converter.

(And finally I do call out to far China: PLEASE, OWON ENGINEERS , CHECK THIS!!!!!)

PS.:

...and I forgot to mention that these two schottky diodes across the output toroid are there for keeping the over-/undershoot caused by the toroid during power up under +- 100mv...

...and of course I connected the switcher directly to the scope using a BNC mail coupling for to have maximum sensitivity and bandwidth and not to have to use any probe for the noise measurement itself...

....and the probe hook you can see on the setup pics close to the PCB is for to pick up spikes radiated by the converter capacitivly - distance about 2-3cm for coupling capacitance far below one picofarad - and to use these via CHII as the trigger signal...

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:18:17 am by Sarasir »

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2589 on: August 28, 2014, 02:32:57 am »
Hi sarasir,

Excellent results! :-+

After reading your post I think I have a pretty good idea of how you configured the components and how you conducted the tests. It's clear to me that the differential mode noise at the output of the switcher is nearly non-existent. There is one more test I would do if you haven't already done it. Instead of connecting to the scope directly at the BNC, I would use a probe with a long ground lead to connect to the switcher's output. This is a cheap but helpful way of purposely creating an impedance imbalance that would make common mode noise at the output of the switcher visible on the scope.

Offline Sarasir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2590 on: August 28, 2014, 04:37:29 am »
Hi TomC,

thank you for checking. Yes, thats a good idea, only I would have to use a 10x probe then. A 1x probe here is disatrous (in contrast to the bandwith limit's impact of the OWON to the noise displayed which is not as heavy as one would expect - had that topic with rf-loop 2 times - probably you remember).

Even with a good Tek probe, at 1x the bandwidth goes down like a brick and consequently the displayed noise as well. It was this problem that actually made me hooking up the little switcher directly to the 475 scope's input.

But hold on I will use an active probe then. Normally try to avoid additional active components as much as possible in cases like this here because you never know what you get because there is another line, and that's the power supply of the active probe and sturation probs and whatever. But actually I think it should work.

I will do the test with both a 10X and an active 1x probe.

We'll see tomorrow. For today (actually tonight!) I'm done.

P.S.: And after thinking about your proposal for a while I can tell you right away what we will get tomorrow: To me it is absolutely clear that as long as even this little PCB radiates certain emissions - and you can see that through the probe hook I used to pick up the trigger signal capacitively - we will have common mode noise on the in-/outputs and therefore as well on the BNC connector (remember, the BNC is only for monitoring either the input or output with the scope). Not so much because I already used the lower plane of the little PCB as a shield, but it will be there. It's the same thing on a minor scale as it is with the whole Owon scope on a major scale.
Just as the whole scope had to be put into the oil can to eliminate common mode noise also this little switcher has to be put into a small faraday box connected only to the BNC ground side for to eliminate comon mode noise effectivly and totaly.

But as it is just a little PCB a piece of chopper foil wrapped around might do the job tomorrow.

Im really looking forward to it....

And now I'm defenitely ready for my bed!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:52:18 am by Sarasir »

Offline Sarasir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2591 on: August 29, 2014, 11:54:13 am »
Hi TomC,

so here the Common Mode Test results. It should be mentioned for everybody else who's reading this that this is only empirical and no absolute numbers can be given with this setup. That is also what also many papers say how it has to be done more or less if switching DC-DC converters have to be denoised especialy since their working frequencies got quite high.

I tested both probe types, passive and active. To my surprise the Tek P 6062 is also only a x10 probe, but gave slightly higher levels probably due to its very low input capacitance (2pF) so I used it for the test.

Used the longest ground lead (16cm) I had for the P6062, and I hope that's long enough to give a 'proper' impedance imbalance.

On the pics you can see the results. They are as I expected. The screwdriver is held by a little vice and I used it for to give the emissions of the unshielded converter more drain which of course provoked higher common mode level in turn (The screwdriver has about 1cm distance to the components).

With the shielded converter I could not use the passive probe's hook I used with the differential mode test before to pick up the trigger signal capacitively. The moment I put it a little into a small hole in the shield I left open the spikes would come back. Of course I would say...
Without the shield I could use the internal trigger path of the 475 as the spikes level was just high enough. With the shield the time base run free and there was no way to get the 475 to trigger. By varying the time base variable slowly I would have seen had there been any spike hidden, but there was nothing to reveal.

Now after carring the picture of this HF (im-)balance mechanism - radiation on one side causes common mode noise on the other side and also vice versa!! (think about that, that connecting something conducting and massy to OWON's SDS input will make it even more radiating on the other side!) - quite a while in my head it became very familiar to me and your test proposal gave it a good push - I feel it now. Was actually first time now that I knew exctly the result before the actual test. I have learned so much from this problem.

In the past when I had to denoise something I used line filters, capacitors and coils but never really knew what I did and what will be the result. It worked often but had always too much magic for my longing for a logical approach I need to work effective and quick.

And last not least to mention that I used several cores on the power in wires to set the circuit as free as possible HF wise and also disconnected the voltmeter monitoring the output from the load resistor before I shot the pics.

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2592 on: August 29, 2014, 12:21:05 pm »
P.S.: And after thinking about your proposal for a while I can tell you right away what we will get tomorrow: To me it is absolutely clear that as long as even this little PCB radiates certain emissions - and you can see that through the probe hook I used to pick up the trigger signal capacitively - we will have common mode noise on the in-/outputs and therefore as well on the BNC connector (remember, the BNC is only for monitoring either the input or output with the scope). Not so much because I already used the lower plane of the little PCB as a shield, but it will be there. It's the same thing on a minor scale as it is with the whole Owon scope on a major scale.
Just as the whole scope had to be put into the oil can to eliminate common mode noise also this little switcher has to be put into a small faraday box connected only to the BNC ground side for to eliminate comon mode noise effectivly and totaly.

Very nice job, Sarasir...very nice!
I am looking your results with very interesting!
Maybe, a small metal box with this circuit joined to the external trigger bnc will be fine!

Offline Sarasir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2593 on: August 29, 2014, 01:05:15 pm »
Yes, lemon,

thanks a lot! That's what I will do, of course, putting these switchers ino a metal box above the adapter PCB. That's how I started actually but just intuitively. Now I know better what to do in detail. Before I used fat coils and lots of capacitance with just medium results and soldered the components of the switchers to the inside of the tin boxes I used. Now I know better. They will go on a common PCB in a common tin box but with the switchers isolated from each other and each one just connected at it's ground point - see above first 'installment' about denoising -  to the box. And the box will be connected to several ground points of the main PCB through wires. And the adapter PCB will be isolated from the z-plane...

And there are more things to think about: The main power supply with it's connection to the outside world, the mains outlet, and very important the display with its large area also facing the outside... and then there are the digital connectors...

But please lemon, tell me why do you suggest to connect the box to the external trigger input? Don't get it.

And TomC,

one more thought went through my head, just to mention it. Your long ground lead's function is the same as my cores on the power in line, just to decouple the HF. And of course it's an impedance imbalance but you could call it also a low pass filter...
Just something else to think about if there isn't anything better to do...

Possibly this post will go on forever...

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2594 on: August 29, 2014, 03:54:34 pm »
Hi Sarasir,

Thanks for performing this test, very interesting and the results are pretty clear in my mind! :-+

From what I see I would say that most of the noise you see on the unshielded and screwdriver test is due to near field and radiated RF picked up through the air as common mode noise by the impedance imbalance probe arrangement. This is why the shield is so effective in eliminating the noise and of course any intrusion like the antenna effect of the probe hook being introduced into the mix upsets it and allows radiation through the air again. There is no indication of conductive common mode noise getting past the filtering which is a good thing and qualifies the effectiveness of the multiple in line capacitor arrangement filter that you are using.

Again, very nice and interesting, keep it up! :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 04:14:12 pm by TomC »

Offline Sarasir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2595 on: August 29, 2014, 08:48:48 pm »
Hi TomC,

as you might have expected I have problems with your picture of the noise path. Can't see how it could work that way...

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2596 on: August 29, 2014, 11:20:50 pm »
Hi TomC,

as you might have expected I have problems with your picture of the noise path. Can't see how it could work that way...
Hi Sarasir,

Sorry that you don't agree with my picture of the noise path, frankly I just explained it as I see it, didn't really know or foresee what your reaction would be!

This is your experiment, and I'm just commenting as an onlooker, so please go ahead and tell us how you see it, maybe I'll learn something new, or maybe, like you, I won't be able to see how it could work that way. Either way other members will be exposed to different theories and some may even wish to contribute!

In any case, whether we agree or disagree on the mechanics of how or why things happen the way they do, I'm glad that you did these tests and clearly documented the results with words and pictures. So I want to sincerely thank you for the considerable time and effort that you graciously spent to make this information available to all of us!

Offline Sarasir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2597 on: August 30, 2014, 06:35:43 am »
Hi TomC,

of course, I aggree with everything you say. I was just running out of time and also wanted to sleep it over yesterday for to get a clearer view of what you said.

And of course I gave it quite some thinking and will do another test and that is simply removing the improvised shield again from the little PCB - what I would have to do anyways - and instead of will wrap another and bigger and also grounded foil around the probe arrangement to exclude any direct radiation into it.

You see, - some thoughts right away in advance - the radiation field around the small PCB should look like a circular dome, more or less, because it's beeing attracted and deformed by any conducting existence around. (And to be precise, even non conducting matter through the individual dielectric properties should have a very slight influence.)

The probe arrangement I had hooked up goes straight away on the BNC side, also the ground lead straight away especially for not to pick up or to pick up as little as possible direct radiation. So if you imagine that picture you will see that just a little portion of the radiation dome - like a piece of a round cake you cut out - will be relevant at all to induce current which in turn together with the impedances of the arrangement will cause voltage drops then in the arrangement. Compared to the return path of the entire radiation dome which runs of course also through the probe arrangement, the by it received radiation should be very little and in addition even opposite in phase so rather would even reduce the measured level instead of increasing it (But that, due to the complex nature of the set up with numerous stray Cs + Ls and therefore pretty chaotic phase shifts everywhere changing ever millimeter is just theory).

So theoretically there might be even a slight increase in measured voltage after shielding the probe arrangement but only due to the then inhibited negative feedback maybe induced by this little portion received out of the radiated circular field dome.

More later as I have to work now....

But please in between tell me if you can see what I mean.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 06:52:21 am by Sarasir »

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2598 on: August 30, 2014, 10:52:18 am »
But please lemon, tell me why do you suggest to connect the box to the external trigger input? Don't get it.

Sometimes, it is difficult to me to understand so big messages. My English aren't so good!
It was a simple suggestion of gnd position, as external device, that anyone can to remove easy!
From what I see, you think to make internal to various gnd points on main pcb.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2599 on: August 30, 2014, 04:13:12 pm »
But please in between tell me if you can see what I mean.

Hi Sarasir,

I think your alternative explanation of the signal path during the unshielded test is plausible. However, in my mind, it somewhat conflicts with the results of the shielded test. Hopefully the additional test you proposed will shed more light into this. My feeling at the moment is that you'll see less noise with the probe arrangement shielded. But as we all know, things don't always turn out the way we imagine them, so will see!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf