Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1445145 times)

Offline chriswebb

• Supporter
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2075 on: August 31, 2016, 06:51:40 am »
Hey there,

I'm Chris, I currently reside in Austin, TX, and am a co-founder and CTO of an ed-tech company here. I have been a software engineer for over 12 years, but have many other hobbies related to science and engineering. I have dabbled in microprocessors in the past, and have always been fascinated by product building from a non-software point-of-view. Other than first year physics covering E&M or my single digital logic class in college, I have no other real educational background besides basic understandings of the principles at play and what the terms mean and how to measure them with a multimeter. But I have a strong desire to learn, and already started brushing up my soldering skills with a few kits. I came to the eevblog through other science and engineering youtube channels, and have been watching the back catalog as well as lurking here on the forums for a few weeks now. I am hoping in the short term to learn to wield an oscilloscope to fix an issue with the radio in my car, and then repair an old 1100 watt computer PSU and possibly convert it into a bench supply. From there I hope to learn more tools and uncover more challenges of which i have a few ideas. Mainly I am hoping this provides a fun distraction from my day-to-day stress.

-Chris

Always learning. The greatest part of life is that there will always be more to learn.

Offline Nuzzler

• Contributor
« Reply #2076 on: August 31, 2016, 02:59:27 pm »
Hi all!

I've dabbled in basic electronics on and off -- usually related to another hobby. Speaking of hobbies, in no particular order: cycling (road/mtb/gravel), photography, flashlights, woodworking, radio control (land/air), Linux/MySQL/security, LEGO, Game of Thrones

- Nuzz

Offline Kuro

• Regular Contributor
New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2077 on: September 01, 2016, 04:08:18 pm »
Must I? Well, if you insist. It is kinda intimidating reading the introductions of all the now and future electronics experts here  ;D

Relative old noob here. When I was a kid I did some basic hobby electronics stuff. That was over 40 years ago, so no internet to look up things, books rare. Had to teach myself how to solder (and learn afterwards I did it all wrong - but the AM radio kit I built did work anyway :) )

Unfortunately, that was then and this is now. I have not done much inbetween regarding electronics. Trying to get back into it now, starting with a proper re-introduction to the basics, like how to solder properly (thanks Dave! Always a pleasure to watch your videos) and learning about that new-fangled SMD stuff  ???. Better practice holding my soldering iron still...

I can't spend much time on my hobby, work comes first, but I do look forward to chatting and learning from you all here.
The universe is made of protons, neutrons, electrons and morons - March for Science 2017

Offline NTLabsBT

• Northeastern Technology Laboratories
« Reply #2078 on: September 02, 2016, 02:02:13 am »
Hi,

I'm Brian.  I'm from NY, USA.  I'm a degreed EE with a good number of years of multi-disciplinary experience.  I run a Failure Analysis / Test laboratory, primarily specializing in mixed-signal analog/digital, power conversion (my preference) and electro-mechanical, although we work on essentially ALL types of problems...

I happen to be a test gear lover, and like to have the right tool for the job, new or old.

I've lurked around this site for a couple of years, and I figured I'd share some repair work I've done on test gear, and contribute to other topics as I see fit... (after all, you guys unknowingly helped me repair an older Fluke bench top DMM, so maybe I can repay the favor some day...)

Offline www.lida-app.ir

• !
« Reply #2079 on: September 02, 2016, 02:17:56 pm »
This is Lida. I do website and mobile app development  :)

Offline CoffinDodger

• Contributor
« Reply #2080 on: September 02, 2016, 07:00:03 pm »
I'm Alan and I'm currently a student of the Instrumentation Tech course under the US Army Prime Power School.  I'm still fairly new to electronics (a neophyte even) who recently put together a little work bench in the barracks to further my education past basic troubleshooting.

Offline vulturebetrayer

• Contributor
« Reply #2081 on: September 05, 2016, 06:06:26 pm »
Hey folks.  I am just a guy who works tech for some folks in L.A. I also program as my main job and repair a lot of simple electronics devices (guitars, some amp stuff, wireless systems etc).

I'm getting more and more into electronics and more advanced repair, and have found Dave's tips to be very helpful for a newb like me.

My main learning focus is on midi devices, tube amplification, sound generation (think moog), and programming (specifically python and C++).

I look forward to contributing to the community until I post something drunkenly that gets me banned.
I'm just a terrible programmer who thinks electrons flow through tubes.

Offline randomtronic

• Contributor
« Reply #2082 on: September 08, 2016, 09:26:27 pm »
Hi All,

My name is Kris. I was born in Poland, and I live currently in UK.
I studied electronics in Poland, and after finishing the studies I went on to live in various places on the planet. Finally settled in UK :)
I work as an audit manager and self taught db admin (mysql) - data is really fun to work with!

Electronics have always been a passion of mine, along with curiosity of understanding how things work /are made and desire to make things, especially through repurposing other objects in a way, they were never intended to be used.

Sometime ago, after watching ALL Dave's videos (I think, :D)  I decided to begin recording some of my small projects and teardowns, and started uploading those to my channel on YouTube.
Since then I have realised that producing content is much more difficult than I thought (lol) but I am pressing on, hopefully getting better at what I do!

Please feel invited to have a look at my channel at:
youtube.com/c/randomtronic

Thanks

Offline matthewbadeau

« Reply #2083 on: September 10, 2016, 11:05:48 am »
My name's Matthew. I'm an American currently living in Japan. I do a little programming and I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to electronics.

Offline ghani256

• Contributor
« Reply #2084 on: September 11, 2016, 02:16:35 pm »
Hi.

I am a 20 year old from Pakistan. I am currently in 3rd year of my Electrical Engineering degree. My main interests are embedded systems and Microwave engineering. I hope to practice and gain a lot of experience in this field.

That is all.

Offline Professzore

• Contributor
  • Measure twice, then check calibration.
« Reply #2085 on: September 11, 2016, 04:33:30 pm »
Hi there,
I'm Tamás, nicknamed as Professzore (or simply Prof). Have some interest to electricity since my child-years. I've been into ham-radio for a couple of years (as ha5cst), but due to many reasons (law, job etc.) I've quit.
Now one of my basic interest is microcontrollers. 2 years in Arduino, now in mbed. I have many ideas, some of the under development.
I also learning C++ and possibly later some more "visual" language as Java for example.
Nice to be here and learn a lot.
Cheers from Hungary,
Tamás

Offline Alaskaal

« Reply #2086 on: September 17, 2016, 12:30:47 am »
Hi,

My name is Al and I live in Alaska. I have degrees in English, Electronics, and undergraduate and graduate degrees in Toxicology. Electronics was once my vocation long ago, having worked for Commodore and then as an instrument repair tech at a large analytical laboratory, both in Colorado. I now repair electronic gear, mostly antique tube radios, but will work on anything that interests me. I work at a remote Arctic site for two weeks at a time doing "science stuff", and get two weeks off. A two week vacation every two weeks! I am also an amateur radio operator and play classical guitar.

Offline TimberwolfGryphon

« Reply #2087 on: September 19, 2016, 07:23:03 pm »
Here's a slightly different one for a change.

I'm Daniel, currently pursuing a career in biology and thusly,  ornithology. Electronics of all descriptions as well as software tinkering has always been a latent hobby of mine. Having considered an engineering career in the past, I came to the bitter realisation that I am inexorably incompatible with mathematics, the complex stuff pertinent to any basic engineering discipline... :-//

As such I went for what I do best without abandoning what could have been :)

I am a long time watcher of the eevblog but only recently decided towards joining in.

Offline Renld

« Reply #2088 on: September 24, 2016, 06:17:27 pm »
 8) old Marine Vietnam Vet, artist, Sculpter, hobbyist and dabbler in thisnthat. Interested in electronics

Offline spronkey

« Reply #2089 on: September 25, 2016, 01:01:12 am »
Hi all, I'm Keith. Day job is a software engineer, but used to tinker with electronics a lot back in high school, did a couple of comp sci / elec engineering courses at uni, but haven't played with much other than LED strips since.

Trying to find the time to get back into it, slowly realising that without access to a nice lab it's a bit of a pain, so I'm currently scouring ebay, dealextreme and aliexpress for the basic test leads and the like :-).

Offline niemimat

• Geek by profession.
« Reply #2090 on: September 29, 2016, 01:47:08 pm »
Hi,

I am Matti from Helsinki, Finland. I have been working on IT field for a long time and tittle system architect/analyst probably describes current day job best (mostly Unix + DB stuff).

I am not EE so electronics is just a hobby for me but I am really hacker/maker (and science junkie) at heart. I started first "take it apart" projects in electronics when I was just a toddler ... and long before learning how to actually put those parts back together. Since then I have been building and experimenting with all kinds thingamajigs and doohickeys, which usually have something to do with radios, audio or computers.

I don't remember how or when I first heard about EEVblog but it must have happened many years ago. I have watched many of Dave's excellent videos and followed some forums but now I finally decided to shape up and actually register.

Regards,
Matti
Don't take life so seriously.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #2091 on: September 29, 2016, 01:55:44 pm »
Hi,

I am Matti from Helsinki, Finland. I have been working on IT field for a long time and tittle system architect/analyst probably describes current day job best (mostly Unix + DB stuff).

I am not EE so electronics is just a hobby for me but I am really hacker/maker (and science junkie) at heart. I started first "take it apart" projects in electronics when I was just a toddler ... and long before learning how to actually put those parts back together. Since then I have been building and experimenting with all kinds thingamajigs and doohickeys, which usually have something to do with radios, audio or computers.

I don't remember how or when I first heard about EEVblog but it must have happened many years ago. I have watched many of Dave's excellent videos and followed some forums but now I finally decided to shape up and actually register.

Regards,
Matti
Welcome.
thingamajigs and doohickeys

Didn't know that you guys in Finland have those things also.  :-+

Offline Hack.Trix

« Reply #2092 on: September 29, 2016, 02:04:43 pm »
Hello everyone,

My name is Byron and I hail from sunny Western Australia.  I am an instrumentation Electrician and I work on a large mine site in WA.  I am what is best described as a hobbyist electronics geek, I use the university of Google/YouTube to guide me along my ways...................I am a practical person so I tend to struggle with the theory of electronics until I can build and test my projects.  I would consider myself a true electrician, I love my job and enjoy figuring out how things work.  I am new to forums but see the huge benefit of using shared community knowledge and fully intend to use your knowledge as well as contribute where and when I can.

Offline richd

« Reply #2093 on: October 04, 2016, 12:26:24 am »
Hi, I'm a new member.  I've been watching Dave's videos for years but I've never participated in the forums.  Now that I have more time for the hobby, I'm excited to get more involved and take advantage of this great resource of knowledge!

Offline johnbradshaw1000

• Westcables
« Reply #2094 on: October 05, 2016, 04:08:08 pm »
Hi there, This is john from Fremont, CA currently working in Westcables.com and enjoying this blog and information on it. Cheers

Offline Fisher77

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2095 on: October 13, 2016, 01:00:27 pm »
Hi, my name is Tye. I am from Texas. I have been poking around the forum for quite some time, and decided it was time to join in on the fun. There is a lot of useful information here, and being fairly new to the electronics world, it helps out immensely. Looks to be a great group of people here. Hope to enjoy this forum for many years to come.

Offline 2e0eow

• If I knew then what I know now......
« Reply #2096 on: October 15, 2016, 07:24:54 pm »
Hi from North Yorkshire, UK. I'm a male produced in 1972 and have always enjoyed taking electrical things to bits and putting them back together again. I'm looking to expand my knowledge of all things electrical and magnetic, and what better place to do it than here. I love Dave's enthusiasm and the fabulous content he produces. Folks on these forums appear to be very knowledgeable and helpful too. I hope to be able to contribute something of value to the site and the people on it, but I'm feeling a bit like a white-belt in a room full of black-belt Karate experts. Not to worry, glad to be here :-)
What's that burning smell ?

Offline univ

• Contributor
« Reply #2097 on: October 16, 2016, 12:53:26 pm »
Hi, I'm Chris, aka Universalist, from Dresden Germany.
I'm the inventor and main maker of GuerillaBeam, which is a 3d-printable flashlight-powered slide projector.
Besides that, I'm currently developing a Core-XY FDM 3d printer that uses an Ikea kitchen furniture as its frame, and that is done completely in OpenSCAD (bound to be Open Source).
I'm a regular watcher of Daves channel for quite a while, which (thanks again) earned me a nice Keysight scope.

PS: Normally, I'd go under the name Universalist, but while I have the name registered in the forum, the registration is stuck, probably for some problem with Gmail. So, if an Admin reads this and would like to help me complete the registration, I'd be thankful.

Offline sshoptaugh1991

• Contributor
« Reply #2098 on: October 16, 2016, 08:02:35 pm »
Greetings everyone,

My name is Shawn.  I am an engineering student at Ivy Tech Community College in Evansville, IN.  I am very interested in circuit design, specifically radio circuits as well as audio amplification for instrumentation.

Offline GreyArea

• Contributor
« Reply #2099 on: October 19, 2016, 01:53:28 pm »
Hello, I'm Matt and I've been interested in Electronics since I was a kid.  I never managed to follow it into a career but I still like playing around and trying to make little circuits work.

I'd been following Daves Youtube videos since I came across them a couple of months ago, I like catching up on them during my lunch hour - I'm up to #463 right now!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf