Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1445697 times)

Offline r4ptor

• Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1975 on: April 14, 2016, 10:13:08 am »
Hi guys,

I am watching Daves videos a long time now, and finally decided to register in the forum.

My name is Peter, I'm studying Information and Computer Engineering Austria(basically Informatics and electrical engineering) and am building a small lab for my own in my apartment at the moment.

Looking forward gathering and sharing useful information in this forum.

Cheers

Offline SimonR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1976 on: April 15, 2016, 03:21:31 pm »
Hi Rx8Pilot

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes I am available, I'm currently extremely busy at the moment but things should have calmed down by mid to late summer.

PM me to let me know what you have in mind, so I can decide if I can help or not. Although I'm actually only here from a hobby point of view
Simon

Offline nad007007

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1977 on: April 16, 2016, 05:10:50 am »
Hi guys

Conrad here from New Zealand. I am into eighties computers and old nixie tube stuff.
A list of my first computers.

Casio pb100
Sinclair zx81
Sinclair spectrum 48k with micro drive
BBC Master
Amiga 600 hd

Thanks

Conrad

The following users thanked this post: MetallChips85

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1978 on: April 16, 2016, 09:07:54 am »
Another Kiwi here.... I've made electronics my everything in life really.... I can think back to being a really young kid in the 1960s and I'd lie under the old radiogram my parents played their 33&1/3 vinyl records on. The main chassis was hanging there and i was mesmerized by how on earth those glass bottle things that glowed and burnt my fingers if i touched them worked. I wanted to know why and how anything electrical worked and became really frustrated when not a single adult was ever helpful or explained anything to me. Eventually my mother gave me a small book on building Radio receivers as a birthday present and it all started from there...

In short i've worked the world over mostly to do with broadcast studio equipment, systems and a lot of bench repair. My main obsession today would have to be cameras... professional studio and ENG TV cameras.... their maintenance (but most are so reliable i don't see them that often compared to a few years ago).

Hobby time its repair stuff for mates. Usually highly expensive to buy stuff like motorcycle electronics instrument cluster that water has finally killed.  This year i must revisit vacuum tubes (valves) in audio amplifiers for guitar but this winter there's a finish-off of a high power pair of monoblock quad KT88 hifi things for the hell of it just to see if they are anywhere as nice a sound as any of the modern stuff like Class D... I probably will be wasting my time but they should look great.

Somewhere along the line i noticed that younger people no long bother with electronics as a hobby where they actually build anything using tools, especially a soldering iron. Those skills could well be dying out. It seems it's all about writing code for an embedded prebuilt ucontroller of some sort...

The rest of my time i take perfectly good pieces of metal etc and machine them into things for use with TV cameras or custom housings for projects in my reasonably well setup workshop where i also work on my petrol gulping V8 off-roader.

Offline korbasiewicz

• Supporter
« Reply #1979 on: April 16, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »
Hello!

When I've first heard Dave saying "Don't turn it on. Tear it apart!" long time ago I couldn't stop watching his YT channel. Finally decided to come here. I'm an IT guy interested in electronics. Kind of noob in many areas, so you may expect some dumb questions from time to time (I promise to use search before asking).

Cheers!

Offline MetallChips85

« Reply #1980 on: April 16, 2016, 11:18:01 pm »
Greetings fellow Nerds,  :-DMM

I registered to the EEVBlog a few weeks.. or months ago, this is my first post, and I am definitely a noob to the forum. My YouTube url is Metallchips85 and you could prolly find me other places under that name as well. =)
I am 30 years old and am a Lake Tahoe/Carson Valley Nevadan.

Dave's YouTube channel is epic and I would like to hail the creator, his enthusiastic passion for Electronic Engineering and good Knobs is next to none! Fires me up every time.

I have always liked taking stuff apart myself, and have 25,000 hours of on job time machining. I do volunteer work at the local electronics recycling and donation center in my city and can say am stoked! All  the electronics I can tear down and a wonderful resource of components I could only dream of.  I look forward to sharing and learning from the forum.

Thanks for having me  :-+
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:52:50 am by MetallChips85 »

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1981 on: April 18, 2016, 12:46:14 am »
Justa wee query i notice that appears to be messing up just how everyone's Posts to this Forum are appearing to me. (i hope this is the proper place to put this post... sorry if it isn't.... :(

It's the issue of Time (and Date).... As example my Logon Hello shows a 2 hour error passed. What have i screwed up in my profile settings (i assume that's where i'd normally be setting my local time... i've gone round and round trying to find such a thing as other Forums use to see if there's a specific place to put but i can's seem to find it).... Anywho, any help would be great.... joys of being a noob  ;)

Offline Fulcrum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1982 on: April 18, 2016, 04:47:35 pm »
Hey everyone!
I'm Fulcrum, and I'm currently in the middle of my studies for a master degree in particle physics, focusing on the practical side of the field. Unfortunately that means I will have to do quite a bit of electrical engineering! This last year has been hectic, as I've been designing high speed mixed-signal electronics for particle detectors as fast as I could learn it. Luckily I learn quickly, and Daves youtube videos have been a huge help here, keeping me interested and teaching me interesting tidbits I had never thought of.

Thought it was about time to sign up here, and have your collective knowledge quick at hand!

Offline pixel63

• Contributor
  • stat Roma pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus
« Reply #1983 on: April 18, 2016, 05:40:54 pm »
Hi everyone!
I'm a 52 years old electronic engineer that spent a life on informatics and internet services for a primary telecom company in Italy, Rome.
With EEVblog I had a flashback and revamped my original passion for applied electronics.

I rebuilt my lab from scratch (after a wife and three children) and I'm back to repairing tons of devices, from washing machine electronic board to TV PSU and so on ...

Write you soon....
Pixel63
..Pixel63

Offline rob-from-perth

• Contributor
    • Logicware - Perth's Best Online Electronics Store
« Reply #1984 on: April 19, 2016, 03:50:48 pm »
Hi All,
I am Rob from Perth.

I have been working with electronics since I was very young. The first major project I built was a Dream 6800 that Electronics Australia published back in the late 70's.
I was 13 years old at the time.  I've pursued various careers but electronics has always looked after me. It gave me a firm grounding (haha) for all the technological jobs I'd undertake through out my life.

These days I run my own online business selling electronics to hobbyists and providing some technical advice to get people started with their projects.
You are welcome to browse my store (link is in my signature) and ask any questions about anything I sell.

lately I've been tinkering around with the Cypress PSOC 5LP and really enjoying it.

I think I just like learning new stuff all the time.

That's pretty much a disjointed summary of where I am currently at..  :-DD

Offline Blastcap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1985 on: April 19, 2016, 04:17:47 pm »
Hi I'm Adam, a 20-something guy from Germany.
Normally employed as a mechanical engineer but I'm expanding my knowledge into EE as a hobbist.

My new years resolution was to repair instad of replacing  :-/O, and i've done it pretty sucessfully until now (havent saved a cent thou, because i used it as an excuse to buy more and better tools and other equipment).  ::) I'm here to get advice, learn, lurk and some day maybe even say somting clever myself.

Currently im setting up a workshop at home and reading as much as possible.
As my other big hobby is Photography, so I promise to deliver quality pictures of mediocre or less builds.

Offline starphot

• Contributor
  • Astronomer
« Reply #1986 on: April 19, 2016, 08:39:30 pm »
Hi all,

I am from Denver, CO. I've been in electronics since the 1960's when my uncle gave me a crystal set. I dabbled in electronics as a child and was Shanghaied into the field of electronics when I joined the US Navy. I wanted Photographic Intelligence, but was suckered into electronics because I knew some of the basics. I went through basic EE and Avionics and was assigned to an attack squadron on board the USS John F Kennedy (CV-67) between 1972-1975 working on aircraft fire control radar, component level. I worked on circuits that had peanut vacuum tubes to the early silicon and germanium semiconductors, analog computers with the early digital computer with a drum memory plus an early core memory for the fire control solutions. My squadron then upgraded their planes with the avionics that had the military 74xxx type of logic, linear, some CMOS with the early microprocessors in the radar system. That Uncle? He served on two carriers, did shipboard radar and then had a career in electronic servicing for Kodak. Between us: 3 carriers, 7 1/2 years serving in the US Navy, 94 years total active professional electronics experience.
  I got out of the Navy in 1975, replaced the military BS :bullshit: for a cleaner and more accurate bogosity meter, got my FCC General Class Radiotelephone license and worked for a few mom and pop repair shops then worked for a consumer electronics retailer in one of their two dozen regional repair centers for nearly 20 years before being laid off. I repaired the RF items including cellphones, plus the CD players, large stereo receivers and other items. I then worked for a telescope manufacturer that has his own line of telescopes plus he manufactures after market items such as better motorized focusers, digital setting circles and carrying cases for the other major brands of telescope manufacturers. 2 months there. I was the last person he hired as full-time as he is struggling to stay in business to this day. That was just before 9-11. No jobs since. I am coming off of an autoimmune disorder that is eating away at my peripheral nervous system and trying to lead a more active life.
  My interests are astronomy, electronics tinkering, gardening and photography. I am a board member of my astronomy club and do some public outreach plus doing maintenance at the dark sky site. I am an astrophotographer and modified both of my Newtonian telescopes using the electro-mechanical knowledge I have to do that. All four of these main interests started in the 1960's. Gardening by grandma; Photography and electronics, uncle; astronomy, John Glenn.

Joe
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 08:42:00 pm by starphot »
Analog-Digital

Offline thisguy

• Contributor
« Reply #1987 on: April 19, 2016, 08:54:26 pm »
Hi from WA state, USA.

I'm here to learn. I was interested in electronics as a child and teen, but put that aside for a career in SW, music, family life, and other endeavors. For a variety of reasons I've decided that now is a good time time to get back to something that I enjoyed in the past and always wanted to pursue.

My first interest is getting a decent foundation, then learning enough about micro-controllers to experiment with motor control. Some other electronics interests are live audio and those fun flying toys. I'm building a lab on a budget.

I'm enjoying Dave's videos and the generally civil exchange of information on the forums.

- thisguy

Offline R005T3r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1988 on: April 22, 2016, 08:35:25 am »
Hi Everyone!

I'm an EE student in Italy. I'm currently studying Electronics at the university (1st year). I'm also an electrical expert, and I love making electrical plants.

I also like flutes and music.

Offline nchan

« Reply #1989 on: April 23, 2016, 11:33:07 am »
G'day all,

I've been lurking around just learning the basics again. Completed my EE degree back in 1993, but never got to do electronics as a career. So getting back into it as a hobby.

Cheers,
Nige

Offline Borgonomics

« Reply #1990 on: April 23, 2016, 01:51:50 pm »
Hi everybody ....

new here .. have been a big fan of the EEVBLOG since more or less the start (started @ #10). Looking forward to hanging around with you guys when it comes EE and maybe more ... :-)

I am flabbergasted at the development of the blog.

Respekt to you Dave.

I want to change the world to a better place.

JC

P.S.: Unfortunately started a new thread to introduce myself. Missed this thread.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:54:23 pm by Borgonomics »

Offline lwuvkp

« Reply #1991 on: April 27, 2016, 12:14:48 am »
Hello, I am student from high school who needs help from electronic engineer for a project. I have been assigned to chat with a electronic engineer online and ask him or her questions about what it is like to be an electronic engineer. It would be greatly appreciated if anybody would be able to help me with this, I only need to ask a few questions. If you are interested pls send a private message to me on this forum, and I will check it daily.

Thank you.

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1992 on: April 29, 2016, 12:54:10 pm »
Hi, I´m an electronics hobbyist and retired from medicine.  I currently live in Mexico and would like to do some part-time work here to help support my hobby.  I would also like to meet other hobbyists locally to swap hardware.   8)

Offline monkeytennis

« Reply #1993 on: May 03, 2016, 12:11:10 am »
Hi all,

I was an electronics technician and engineer over the course of about 12 years.  I'm now a software engineer working with aviation automated test equipment.  I've had a few projects in mind for a few years now so it's about time I got my behind in gear, racked up some more bits of equipment and got cracking.

Been a fan of Dave's for a couple of years.  It seemed I registered on the site a year ago but forgot all about it.  Hopefully I can contribute a bit.

All the best,
Simon

Offline Esotech

« Reply #1994 on: May 04, 2016, 03:33:06 pm »
Greetings,

I am self employed with 30+ years experience in electronics, both design/construction and repair. I currently operate in the DJ/Pro Audio repair area with some OEM and contract project work periodically. I have many years of practical experience in the FM radio field and have designed,  manufactured and repaired a number of devices in various sub areas of electronics. I have visited this forum quite a few times, most recently researching crowd funded projects, alternative energy & today - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/air-asia-crash-report-cracked-solder-joint-on-rudder-limit-circuit-board/

Esotech  ;)
OEM Electronics Designer

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1995 on: May 05, 2016, 07:40:56 pm »
Hello from California.
My name is Gary. I'm a retired electronics engineer and doing electronics at home.
I've been doing electronics since I was about 10. Electronics is the best, most fulfilling, and fun thing I've ever done. :-+
I'm also an avid Formula 1 fan. Are there any Formula 1 fans out there?

Offline BigfootJim

• Contributor
  • KJ6TSV
« Reply #1996 on: May 05, 2016, 09:45:12 pm »
Hello everybody, my name is Jim and I'm a student/hobbyist from California.  I played around with electronics when I was younger, but got out of it after discovering girls  :-// .  I recently got back into it after working on developing a telemetry system for our race team.  I've been lurking the forum here since finding Dave's videos while looking for answers on that project.

thx,
-BFJ

Offline Gordon

« Reply #1997 on: May 07, 2016, 10:53:17 pm »
Hi Guys. I'm 59, an IT professional heading for retirement in the not too distant future. I've always been interested in electronics, I started as a TV/Video engineer back in the 70's before moving into computer hardware and then software. I'm just resetting up my amateur radio station [GI6FZI] after a long break, when family and work took precedence. I've been having fun building magnetic loop antennas for 80-40m and I'm about to start investigating how to repurpose a HP or Sun server psu, to a high current bench/transceiver psu, which is where I came across this site.

I've always enjoying learning and keeping up-to-date with current and emerging technologies, I'm looking forward to seeing all the great stuff posted here and watching all the mailbags and reviews from Dave and everyone else on the forums.

Cheers - Gordon  :-DMM

Offline PDM

« Reply #1998 on: May 10, 2016, 08:54:57 pm »
Hello. Structural engineer here. No, I'm not lost. Just landed a new job in the defense industry which is putting me in contact with some electrical engineers of the very high functioning persona. We are working primarily on EMI shielding and EMP defense. I'm currently shopping for tx/rx test equipment ranging from 500kHz to 10GHz. I am also working on portable, shielded generators that needs to output 40 and 50hz power at 208-460v with the push of a button.

Most of my electrical experience is in automotive applications. I've expanded my capability as far as I can and am currently shopping for a scope. I've followed EEVblog youtube and lurked this forum for a long time, so I figured its time I join. Not sure I have anything to add, but thanks for having me.

Offline Electric flower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1999 on: May 13, 2016, 08:59:07 pm »
I'm also an avid Formula 1 fan. Are there any Formula 1 fans out there?

Huge fan of Formula 1, also keen on WRC and WTCC. Love F1, human ingenuity in competition to chase perfection. Also in general lover of motorsports and dangerous things that have wheels.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All play and no work makes Jack a mere toy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf