Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803656 times)

Offline Sensor Geek

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #2950 on: January 13, 2014, 11:43:47 am »
Just a general question here to anybody capable of answering

If you had access to a 320x240 TiC that did video output at 30fps, what would you want to see *most*? It can be anything - literally anything.

Biological phenomenon, real time viewing of surface blood vessels, exhaling/inhaling, and so on. nature observations like water flows. induced thermal events for observing material characteristics. probably 1000 other things where 9hz just wouldn't do.

Offline Myself

• Contributor
« Reply #2951 on: January 14, 2014, 03:14:48 am »
Has anybody figured out if the E4 sensor is capable of 30 FPS (or at least north of 9 FPS), and is just being firmware limited?

I hope if anybody has figured it out, they'll keep it nice and quiet! Publication of such a hack would surely bring the federal heat against FLIR who would then have no choice but to lock the next firmware down tight, and likely put much tighter protection on future models, too. And this party in many respects is just getting started. (I have two more friends who've bought E4's in the last week because of it.)

Without any inside knowledge, the only things we know for certain are that they are not so concerned about it that they are in any hurry to change the current situation (from which we can probably reasonably infer that a framerate hack is probably not viable) , and that they have sold a number of additional units that they wouldn't otherwise have sold as a direct result of  hackability.

Speaking of buying cameras, given the CES announcement, this hack serves them doubly: First, it gets a bunch of people outside their traditional market talking about the tech, enjoying their products, and popularizing their brand. Second, it clears out a bunch of low-end stock that might become difficult to sell once the iphone thingus is on the market. The cellphone gizmo isn't gonna eat much into Exx sales, but it'll certainly take a bite of E4's lunch. Who knows how many E4 housings, slightly-bad FPAs, etc, they have sitting around that they're now able to sell to us?

.power.settings: (12)
 laserAllowed                true <-- useless :)
 laserEnable                false <-- useless :)

My dad's older FLIR has a laser-pointer, which personally I find to be a gimmick, but his clients love it. ("High-tech" is apparently a very subjective thing, needing only be "higher tech than the observer encounters on a frequent basis".) Might its presence in these files perhaps suggest a function for some of those unpopulated pads on the board?

Some Ex0 model would be nice to check what's beeing used as WLAN / BT ;)
I wouldn't be surpised if the double-digit series cameras would be built around the same core design - display and sensor specs look identical to me. :-/O

Wouldn't surprise me either. With a bit of luck they use it as bluetooth uart with bspserial. If so, then even if you couldn't get the exact same module you would probably still be able to rig up something decent. That said, it would be really nice if someone could check what bluetooth module is being used in the higher end models.

Speaking of unpopulated pads! Yeah, this is my next big area of interest. They'd probably not bother with different bluetooth chipsets (and thus drivers and debugging effort) between models, at least not without a good reason (and part obsolescence would be one, but let's hope not!). So if we can get a peek at the chips in one of the BT-equipped units, it seems reasonable that grafting a similar chip into an E4++ might yield paydirt.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I *hate hate hate* having to plug in my USB cable to get images off this thing. Bluetooth would be sweet. An SD slot (into which I could drop an eyefi/pqi/transcend wireless SD card) would be even sweeter, because then I control the card's behavior. (the latter cards run linux, btw.)

Sooo. Any hints that this board shares anything with SD-slot-equipped models? The USB cable opening at the top is suspiciously big; I wouldn't be surprised if there was a daughterboard. Are there any hints of SD capability in the configs, etc? I haven't gone digging, this is all just wishful thinking on my part.

Hey, anyone tried a USB OTG cable on this sucker yet? I don't have one handy but might poke at that tomorrow.

Offline menthurae

« Reply #2952 on: January 14, 2014, 03:31:41 am »
Hi everyone, I have monitored this thread for several months and finally pulled the trigger and bought a FLIR E4 locally. Price was around £800 GBP / $1310 USD equivalent in my local currency (Australian Dollars).

Here's hoping that my model is still updatable. I will post firmware info, etc once I receive it. Looking forward to using it for some fun and also an analysis tool at work!  ;D

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2953 on: January 14, 2014, 03:36:43 am »
If the poll from this thread can be believed, FLIR have sold about 140 cameras that they otherwise wouldn't have because of the hack.  And they have only missed out on selling 9 of the E5/E6/E8 models.  Pretty good for their bottom line, I'd think.

Offline rhost

Re: Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #2954 on: January 14, 2014, 04:19:33 am »
If the poll from this thread can be believed, FLIR have sold about 140 cameras that they otherwise wouldn't have because of the hack.  And they have only missed out on selling 9 of the E5/E6/E8 models.  Pretty good for their bottom line, I'd think.

Make that 141, mine should be here Thursday.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Offline mborotnguy

« Reply #2955 on: January 14, 2014, 04:35:24 am »

142.  On backorder.  Crossing my fingers that there hasn't been a hardware/firmware change to prevent the hack.

Offline markbener

« Reply #2956 on: January 14, 2014, 05:08:27 am »
Hello

Is there anyway to change the device model?
When i view my images the meta description notes E4 with resolution 320/240
I would like it to read E8

??

Thanks in advance

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2957 on: January 14, 2014, 07:28:08 am »

142.  On backorder.  Crossing my fingers that there hasn't been a hardware/firmware change to prevent the hack.

I think you can multiply at least 10 times. There are many ppl, who will not register to click the survey. Just use the hack and go.
In last 10 days there are 58 downloads of hack.
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #2958 on: January 14, 2014, 09:33:39 am »
Is there anyway to change the device model?
When i view my images the meta description notes E4 with resolution 320/240
I would like it to read E8
There has been a report of a successful renaming (eeprom).

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2959 on: January 14, 2014, 10:04:46 am »
Has anybody figured out if the E4 sensor is capable of 30 FPS (or at least north of 9 FPS), and is just being firmware limited?

I hope if anybody has figured it out, they'll keep it nice and quiet! Publication of such a hack would surely bring the federal heat against FLIR who would then have no choice but to lock the next firmware down tight, and likely put much tighter protection on future models, too. And this party in many respects is just getting started. (I have two more friends who've bought E4's in the last week because of it.)
Did you even look at Mike's first post in this thread or watch near the end of the video? ;)

Offline calle

AddMenu Beta3 FTP - problem
« Reply #2960 on: January 14, 2014, 02:10:50 pm »
Been playing around with the camera a few days and I feel like it´s time to bring some more bling bling on...
Followed this tut: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg366426/#msg366426
to install Tauchers AddMenu but it won´t respond to FTP? I have installed RNDIS-driver and changed USB-mode to RNDIS but keep getting time out.
What have I missed? anyone with a clue?

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: AddMenu Beta3 FTP - problem
« Reply #2961 on: January 14, 2014, 03:57:14 pm »
Been playing around with the camera a few days and I feel like it´s time to bring some more bling bling on...
Followed this tut: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg366426/#msg366426
to install Tauchers AddMenu but it won´t respond to FTP? I have installed RNDIS-driver and changed USB-mode to RNDIS but keep getting time out.
It can be fussy about which FTP programs it will talk to - filezilla does work
Also check you have the right IP address - in some cases some people have reported it being different to the default (e.g. try TELNETing to it)

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline nazar404

• Contributor
« Reply #2962 on: January 14, 2014, 04:05:54 pm »
I was told last week that Tequipment.net would be getting a fresh batch of FLIR E4 Cameras on Jan 17th.. This information came as I was going to order one from them last week , Instead I found one at a Local Grainger Supply local to my area.  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

Offline amigo

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional Wannabe
« Reply #2963 on: January 14, 2014, 04:07:54 pm »
I ordered mine from TEquipment on Jan. 2 and received it yesterday. It came with a 1.19.8 firmware and calibration date of Dec. 13, 2013, I guess I caught it on time. ;)

Just wanted to thank everyone who had done work on bringing this to the general audience. I always wanted a hi-res TIC but could never afford one because of prohibitive costs.

Thank you for opening many new venues of research for us amateurs and armchair scientists alike.

EDIT: 100th post, yey!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:09:25 pm by amigo »

Offline calle

« Reply #2964 on: January 14, 2014, 04:14:15 pm »
It can be fussy about which FTP programs it will talk to - filezilla does work
Also check you have the right IP address - in some cases some people have reported it being different to the default (e.g. try TELNETing to it)

I started with total commander which I normally use, but downloaded Filezilla as well just to be sure. Telnet is something i´ve never tried... is there a simple check i can do here ( please specifie command ) or maybe i just should leave it be..

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #2965 on: January 14, 2014, 04:28:24 pm »
I started with total commander which I normally use, but downloaded Filezilla as well just to be sure. Telnet is something i´ve never tried... is there a simple check i can do here ( please specifie command ) or maybe i just should leave it be..

First check the basics: watch your system tray for the popup that tells what IP your camera has (if no such popup then check the latest Flir player download).
If you're still unsure about the IP then look at the network information of the Flir's interface or issue an "ipconfig /all" in a command prompt - the camera's IP is the standard gateway of the infrared network.

Ensure that you have turned on the camera as the cold boot ftp won't accept the flir login.

Regarding telnet and command prompts etc ... there's plenty of ressources out there - use a search engine or read this thread - I think we already described it a couple times :)

Offline andy1read

• Contributor
« Reply #2966 on: January 14, 2014, 07:10:19 pm »
 Hi,
  I ordered a Flir E4 last week, and found out about this Hack over the weekend. It arrived today, the Calibration date is Dec 23rd 2013,  with firmware version 1.19.8. 
 I'm very keen on performing the hack. But am a bit unsure about some of the instructions. Could someone help me, either on this thread on via email.
  What would be a good PC text editor to use? I've downloaded GetDiz which does open the file, and I've put in my serial number, and saved it.
 The part i'm not sure about is,

At PC command prompt, run

CRC01  E8.cfg

Could someone explain this to me please?

Thanks
    Andy

Offline Navynuke

• Contributor
« Reply #2967 on: January 14, 2014, 07:21:34 pm »
Has anyone succeeded in making the temp scale on right hand side smaller/larger/invisible? There are plenty of applications where I don't need it and it eats real estate

Offline calle

« Reply #2968 on: January 14, 2014, 07:42:22 pm »
First check the basics: watch your system tray for the popup that tells what IP your camera has (if no such popup then check the latest Flir player download).
If you're still unsure about the IP then look at the network information of the Flir's interface or issue an "ipconfig /all" in a command prompt - the camera's IP is the standard gateway of the infrared network.

Ensure that you have turned on the camera as the cold boot ftp won't accept the flir login.

Regarding telnet and command prompts etc ... there's plenty of ressources out there - use a search engine or read this thread - I think we already described it a couple times :)
Surely, sorry for asking basic things I could´ve found myself, just got a little bit frustrated...

Flir Player version 2.3.3, I have tried in UVC and RNDIS-mode but no pop-up whatsoever. Through ipconfig/all I got the information that my standardgateway/camera has an ip of 0.0.0.0  ??

Edit: Finally got the gateway-ip to read 192.168.0.2 but still no reply on ftp or telnet. Maybe my camera are at fault or maybe me.
Is there something wrong with network-settings?

how to take a screenshot on a pc
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:13:39 pm by calle »

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2969 on: January 14, 2014, 07:43:02 pm »
Has anyone succeeded in making the temp scale on right hand side smaller/larger/invisible? There are plenty of applications where I don't need it and it eats real estate

Easy with post process scripts from Tomas123 or me, see: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

I am also preparing Windows friendly version, see here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg364059/#msg364059

You can do many things you cant in Flir. For example picture in picture with 640x480 real image and full IR image inside. Disable color scale, create report, shift temperature...
I will put place of temp scale option - top / bottom, left, right, inside, outside - good idea... I want also put numbers over the scale, like on classic thermometer.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:45:59 pm by daves »
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2970 on: January 14, 2014, 08:07:20 pm »
@freak_ge

Many thanks for the information on EEPROM editing. No Checksums to worry about then  :)

Cheers
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline psycho0815

• Regular Contributor
    • H-REG Blog
« Reply #2971 on: January 14, 2014, 08:23:10 pm »
Hi,
  I ordered a Flir E4 last week, and found out about this Hack over the weekend. It arrived today, the Calibration date is Dec 23rd 2013,  with firmware version 1.19.8. 
 I'm very keen on performing the hack. But am a bit unsure about some of the instructions. Could someone help me, either on this thread on via email.
  What would be a good PC text editor to use? I've downloaded GetDiz which does open the file, and I've put in my serial number, and saved it.
 The part i'm not sure about is,

At PC command prompt, run

CRC01  E8.cfg

Could someone explain this to me please?

Thanks
    Andy

Notepad has been reported to work. I used notepad++, which also worked fine.
As for the CRC01 part:
Open a command promt by pressing Windowskey+R and typing cmd + Enter
Use the "cd" command to navigate to wherever you unzipped mikes archive to.
Now enter "CRC01 E8.cfg".
Continue as per mikes description.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but if something that trivial trips you up, then maybe messing with the firmware of a 1000$ device isn't the best idea... 
If you like, check out my blog (german):
http://h-reg.blogspot.de

Offline amigo

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional Wannabe
« Reply #2972 on: January 14, 2014, 11:44:15 pm »
Surely, sorry for asking basic things I could´ve found myself, just got a little bit frustrated...

Flir Player version 2.3.3, I have tried in UVC and RNDIS-mode but no pop-up whatsoever. Through ipconfig/all I got the information that my standardgateway/camera has an ip of 0.0.0.0  ??

Edit: Finally got the gateway-ip to read 192.168.0.2 but still no reply on ftp or telnet. Maybe my camera are at fault or maybe me.
Is there something wrong with network-settings?

how to take a screenshot on a pc

Perhaps you are not reading this right?

Your LAN2 interface IP is on a .160 subnet but your gateway is on a .0 subnet. You really ought to be on the same subnet, or change the netmask for LAN2 to 255.255.0.0

Offline randy

« Reply #2973 on: January 15, 2014, 12:04:14 am »
Guys I just bought e4 camera and I am new to this forum started to look around how to hack it. Everyone talks about e8.cfg file but where is this file and camera.cmd file. how I find them.

Offline randy

« Reply #2974 on: January 15, 2014, 12:04:56 am »
Mike I bought this camera only after seeing your review on you tube which is one of the best reviews of any product ever I have watched. Amazing, keep up the good work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf