Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803892 times)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #3850 on: February 21, 2014, 11:01:27 pm »
Allmost all E4 microbolometers, that have been tested, meet the 99.8% finctional pixel spec. The higher priced Ex series cameras may indeed have microbolometers that are selected for performance, but do not think the E4 has a sub-standard sensor fitted as this is not the case  ;)
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3851 on: February 22, 2014, 12:34:44 am »
Why do we have to repeat the same discussion over and over again?
talking to me ?

Yes.

Offline tiagobaracho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3852 on: February 22, 2014, 12:59:18 am »
talking to me ?

Yes.
you have to understand... some of us like to came here once in while and read just few pages..... you guys that are always in this thread knows what have been spoken or not....
This is a problem that always will  happen in forums..... I will not read 260 pages before i post anything... does not make sense..... Its part of being a member of a forum..
And  I read a lot when i was doing the hack ...... but i didnt see any discussion on this subject....
This things happens in real life too.... people are together talking and someone arrives and ask again same thing someone already did.... So now we have to record our conversation and give the gay that arrived later the recorder so he can playback and then he can talk about thing not being repetitive ?
life is like that... its not a prison

Offline Arlo1

• Contributor
« Reply #3853 on: February 22, 2014, 04:48:02 am »
Got mine...  Trying to do the Hack but I can't seem to get the command to run it...  So I click the start menu and search CMD the black screen comes up and I type "CRC01 E8.cfg" exactly and it says. CRC01 is not recognized as an internal or external command,

Offline tiagobaracho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3854 on: February 22, 2014, 05:21:52 am »
Got mine...  Trying to do the Hack but I can't seem to get the command to run it...  So I click the start menu and search CMD the black screen comes up and I type "CRC01 E8.cfg" exactly and it says. CRC01 is not recognized as an internal or external command,
you have to be on the same folder as the crc01 exe is on the command prompt too....

Offline martinv

• Contributor
    • mvforum
« Reply #3855 on: February 22, 2014, 05:23:34 am »
To install Taucher's menu hack:

1. Install the RNDIS drivers on your PC. (http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/swdownload/assets/other/flir_device_drivers.exe)
2. Turn on RNDIS on the camera via the hidden menu (Settings>Device Settings>Camera Information - Press <right> for 10 seconds, select "USB Mode" then select "RNDIS")
3. Connect camera to PC via USB.
4. FTP to camera (eg. with FileZilla): Normal logon type, Host "192.168.0.2", user name "flir", password "3vlig"
5. Make a back-up of the files on your camera (copy files from camera to your computer into a back-up directory of your choice)
6. Copy the ADDMENU-Beta files over the files in the camera (eg. unzip the files to your computer then copy the folder "FlashBFS" from your computer over the folder "FlashBFS" in the camera - overwrite files)
7. Power-down the camera, remove battery and USB cable.
8. Re-insert battery and turn on.
9. Enjoy!  :D

Re: menu hack: 
Issue 1:  I made it to step 5 (above).  I selected ALL the folders/files on the camera (to backup everything) and during the transfer there are about 139 failed transfers.  I tried this on 2 different computers with similar result. 

Issue 2:  The FlashBFS\system folder in the 'ADDMENU-BETA3' mod has 1 folder and 5 files, however the same folder in the camera has 9 folders and a lot of files.  I'm guessing this means overwrite the 1 folder and 5 files, but KEEP all other files in the cameras "FlashBFS" folder as is.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:47:26 am by martinv »

Offline Arlo1

• Contributor
« Reply #3856 on: February 22, 2014, 05:30:36 am »
you have to be on the same folder as the crc01 exe is on the command prompt too....
Ok I can't seem to figure out how to do that.
I'm using Windows 7 thanks.

Offline martinv

• Contributor
    • mvforum
« Reply #3857 on: February 22, 2014, 05:54:24 am »
Ok I can't seem to figure out how to do that.
I'm using Windows 7 thanks.

I think this is what you need to do:
in command prompt,

type:  cd/
press enter
type:  cd foldername/foldername2/etc     (replace foldername, foldername2, and etc with the file path you saved the CRC01 E8.cfg file to)
press enter
type:  CRC01 E8.cfg
press enter
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:14:00 am by martinv »

Offline martinv

• Contributor
    • mvforum
« Reply #3858 on: February 22, 2014, 07:03:44 am »
Just got the menu mod Beta 3 to work!

The temperature scale lock or the dual max/min indicators are extremely useful.  The stock E8 doesn't even have this?

Just curious, were ALL of these extra features already in the unit waiting to be unlocked or did Taucher create some of these?
Very impressed either way.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #3859 on: February 22, 2014, 07:15:50 am »
Just got the menu mod Beta 3 to work!

The temperature scale lock or the dual max/min indicators are extremely useful.  The stock E8 doesn't even have this?

Just curious, were ALL of these extra features already in the unit waiting to be unlocked or did Taucher create some of these?
Very impressed either way.

Existing dormant, just not enabled (.conf) and not reachable (menu XML) - so even an E8 can be "upgraded" ;)

Offline Arlo1

• Contributor
« Reply #3860 on: February 22, 2014, 07:18:08 am »
Thanks guys.  I got it.   Part number 63901-0101   software 1.19.8 serial number 63909959
This was the last one from Canadian Ghost hunters.  Only one I could find in stock in Canada.... Hoping for the 1.19.8 firmware. :)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3861 on: February 22, 2014, 10:21:46 am »
@Arlo1,

If the camera has not been sent back to FLIR for an upgrade in the last couple of weeks, it will be running Firmware 1.19.8 and will have been calibrated between 9 and 12 December 2013. See below from my collected data in the 'E4 Useful Information' thread.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/flir-e4-the-useful-information-thread/msg332428/#msg332428

6390 9758              09 Dec            1.19.8 E4 V1.1
6391 01xx              12 Dec            1.19.8 E4 V1.1

Offline makisa81

« Reply #3862 on: February 22, 2014, 12:25:06 pm »
Hello,

Ordered mine 2/10/2014 from UK supplier
Calibration date: 2/5/2014 Estonia
Model: E4 1.1
Partial Serial:  639144xx
Software 1.19.8

Thanks for great hack!  :-+

Offline Arlo1

• Contributor
« Reply #3863 on: February 22, 2014, 03:47:00 pm »
@Arlo1,

If the camera has not been sent back to FLIR for an upgrade in the last couple of weeks, it will be running Firmware 1.19.8 and will have been calibrated between 9 and 12 December 2013. See below from my collected data in the 'E4 Useful Information' thread.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/flir-e4-the-useful-information-thread/msg332428/#msg332428

6390 9758              09 Dec            1.19.8 E4 V1.1
6391 01xx              12 Dec            1.19.8 E4 V1.1
Uhm...  Ok so it should say a calibration date?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3864 on: February 22, 2014, 04:23:05 pm »
Calibration certificate is included with the cameras documents.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3865 on: February 22, 2014, 04:44:57 pm »
talking to me ?

Yes.
you have to understand... some of us like to came here once in while and read just few pages..... you guys that are always in this thread knows what have been spoken or not....
This is a problem that always will  happen in forums..... I will not read 260 pages before i post anything... does not make sense..... Its part of being a member of a forum..
And  I read a lot when i was doing the hack ...... but i didnt see any discussion on this subject....
This things happens in real life too.... people are together talking and someone arrives and ask again same thing someone already did.... So now we have to record our conversation and give the gay that arrived later the recorder so he can playback and then he can talk about thing not being repetitive ?

I feel like I being baited to feed the trolls but if I understand you correctly - your saying we should just delete all but the last two pages of the thread and dedicate all of our time replying to questions that have already been answered from memory just because you feel like your too important to spend some time reading, on a forum who's primary method of communication is text? Please pass along what ever your on because your living in a awesome little world there.  :rant:

Offline martinv

• Contributor
    • mvforum
« Reply #3866 on: February 22, 2014, 07:26:46 pm »
talking to me ?

Yes.

I feel like I being baited to feed the trolls but if I understand you correctly - your saying we should just delete all but the last two pages of the thread and dedicate all of our time replying to questions that have already been answered from memory just because you feel like your too important to spend some time reading, on a forum who's primary method of communication is text? Please pass along what ever your on because your living in a awesome little world there.  :rant:

I prefer to just help the guy(s) out that doesn't want to read the entire thread and be done with it.  Trying to get everyone to read the entire thread will never happen and we end up with even more clutter in our attempt to reduce it.  Maybe they don't deserve a easy answer and maybe we deserve a cookie for reading the whole thread, but in the end being positive and helpful seems to be a quicker, less cluttered solution.

Offline martinv

• Contributor
    • mvforum
« Reply #3867 on: February 22, 2014, 07:30:14 pm »
Just curious,  Is there a "Show your FLIR images" topic?  Should we start one?  I'm curious to see what results people are getting with these mods, external lenses etc.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 08:41:07 pm by martinv »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3868 on: February 22, 2014, 07:54:15 pm »
Maybe they don't deserve a easy answer and maybe we deserve a cookie for reading the whole thread, but in the end being positive and helpful seems to be a quicker, less cluttered solution.

Ignoring lazy questions is pretty quick and non-cluttered as well. :)

Offline tiagobaracho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3869 on: February 22, 2014, 08:30:24 pm »
talking to me ?

Yes.

If you are that angry unhappy person you can understand like that.... If you are not.. you can understand that you do not need to reply anyone that was talking to someone else, not you.... and not get edgy ok ?
To help the thread i will end this discussion here.

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3870 on: February 22, 2014, 08:51:51 pm »
Sure would be nice if the print function would work again.
I did this a while ago and saved the thread, but now that it has grown, the print doesn't do anything but open an empty page.
I am using firefox 27.0.1 win7 64...
Saving the page would make searching for a string MUCH easier than using the forum's search function, plus you have a local copy of the complete thread.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #3871 on: February 22, 2014, 08:59:41 pm »
I did this a while ago and saved the thread, but now that it has grown, the print doesn't do anything but open an empty page.
Saving the page would make searching for a string MUCH easier than using the forum's search function, plus you have a local copy of the complete thread.
Yes, the fix applied last time seems not to have worked permanently.... this thread grows: 3900

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3872 on: February 22, 2014, 09:07:44 pm »
Yes, the fix applied last time seems not to have worked permanently.... this thread grows: 3900
Good to hear that I am not the only one with this problem... wish it would get fixed!  I'm sure it will eventually though.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3873 on: February 22, 2014, 11:10:19 pm »
All the loooong threads have the same problem on this forum. Quite possibly a crappy sql query somewhere that is to fix. Then again, tradition dictates that it's some custom features slapped on later with convoluted logic as mandatory ingredient. And as such less easily fixed. Who knows.  :-//

In the meantime, googling for site:www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown something works fairly well when looking for something in this thread.

Offline SCE56

« Reply #3874 on: February 23, 2014, 02:47:44 am »
Ok I got my E-4 SW version 1.19.8 Calibrated Jan 22 2014. I made the e8.cfg added my SN then did the CRC and added that number to the .cfg  I then made a zip file with the file path included in the zip so what am I doing wrong? The instal says "(IDS_FILE_FORMAT_ERROR)(IDS_FILE_FORMAT_ERROR)" Can someone please straighten me out. My first training on IR was in the Army we used the AN/PSN7 originally designed for night vision in Vietnam combat. I have used the old one for surveying power lines looking for I2R hot spots. At my last job which I left in the summer we had a FLIR camera and we would use them for all kinds of things from inspecting MCC buckets to verifying the oil level in xfrmrs. My pc use personally for the last few has been mostly Mac so using a new pc with windoze 8 has been challenging. Any help will be greatly appreciated. For me I'm confused on what files have to be in the zip-fif is it both the camera.cmd and the config or just the camera?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf