Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3804034 times)

Offline marculito

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #4625 on: March 30, 2014, 12:21:44 pm »
To something completely else. Wonder if it's possible by interpolation to have the camera save the photos in 640x480 instead of 320x240? Just as the photos taken in "camera mode".

And btw, does the E4 or any of the Ex series have built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth? Just wondering since there are references in the config files that you can turn on wifi and bluetooth :P Probably no chip in the E4.. but still want to check if someone have tested it :P

Cheers!

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #4626 on: March 30, 2014, 01:03:02 pm »
[...] So far you're the only person who has mentioned a problem with service mode as far as I can tell, which is why I am asking others to tell me their experiences with regard to this.  I read through everything here, and your revelation comes as a shock and huge disappointment to me and I don't understand why others haven't brought this up.   I would have expected some notice about this in the information thread as well.  :(

It has been stated here and here. And most certainly a few other times.
What exactly is "a shock" and "huge disappointment" about a missing service mode that has been hardly used anyway? It's still hackable. Is an E8+ for the price of an E4 worth nothing?
I really don't see an issue...

Well, I must have missed the exact part about the service mode being crippled.  I asked if there is a workaround for that but didn't get an answer.  It appears to have a great deal of functionality, but for all I know, maybe it was designed for their service techs for in the shop.  I have no idea.  Thanks for your input.

Offline humdinger13

• Contributor
« Reply #4627 on: March 30, 2014, 01:05:04 pm »

Tell you what?
You have quoted your own post without adding anything.

I have no idea how that got there!  Very peculiar.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4628 on: March 30, 2014, 03:11:27 pm »
Has anyone received recently the free gift for the E4 purchase?
I`ve sent my request early in March, they requested me the invoice around the 15th of March,and since then I have no feedback.

It took them about 3 weeks to ship mine.  You can find out the status by calling FLIR Sales at 800-464-6372.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4629 on: March 30, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »
Kansas19,

As I stated, the E4 battery pack is the standard 'dumb' type, without any gas guage battery mangement within (unlike laptop batteries that use BQxxxx chips. The components that you can see are, as others have stated, related to the mandatory Li-Ion technology safety systems to prevent overcharge and discharge. As you likely know, Li-Ion cells have a habit of exploding and/or catching fire if abused during charge or discharge. The Power MOSFETS cut the charge or discharge path if the safety monitoring chip detects an excursion outrside acceptable parameters. This includes an overdischarged or faulty cell

A Li-Ion cell must not be overdischarged. Doing so permanently changes its internal chemistry and can lead to unstable/unsafe operation in extreme cases. The safety chip measures the cell voltage, and if it drops below a set threshold, it disconnects the cell from the outside world using the MOSFETS, both charge and discharge are prevented.

Unlike many laptop batteries that are 'intelligent', the safety chip does not normally do a non user reversible 'lock-out'. (With BQ chips, that are password protected, you can unlock them but the software is expensive and you need the password). It is often possible to recover an overdischarged Li-Ion cell with sort charging pulses until the cell voltage rises to the safety threshiold, the cell input and output MOSFETS are then reactivated for a normal charge process. The cell recovery process can take many forms, one of which is to open the plastic cell container and either temporarily bypass the the MOSFETS, then charge normally, or another is to directly charge the cell for a few seconds from an external PSU, set to say 4.2V, current limited to 500mA. Note my warning regarding an overdischarged Li-Ion cell. Slight overdischarge is OK in many cases, but not severe over discharge.

I am surprised at your situation though. The battery should not suffer undervolt protection unless it was faulty or discharged to the normal low battery charge threshold of an E4, and then suffered natural discharge that took it below the safety threshold. That usually takes several months of non use. If a new battery was faulty, why mess around with it ? Just return it for warranty replacement. You do not need to return the camera.  Why did you cut the battery pack open and waste $50 :-//
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:47:53 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4630 on: March 30, 2014, 04:21:22 pm »
Newbie help thread

I note that Gallymimus has created a Newbie help thread for those who are having problems with the upgrade process, or who have questions.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-teardown-qa-and-newbie-questions/

It would be great if that thread gets used and supported in order to provide answers to the common issues that regularly appear on this thread. It could become a very useful 'self-help' resource ?

Aurora

jlr134

« Reply #4631 on: March 30, 2014, 04:38:28 pm »
I`ve sent my request early in March, they requested me the invoice around the 15th of March,and since then I have no feedback.

My first one came in about a week.My second one took 8 weeks .

Offline Nem

« Reply #4632 on: March 30, 2014, 06:52:50 pm »
CFC editor GuiTool

Simple text editor for CFC files out of v1.21 and v1.22. Allows you to simply open, edit and save the CFC files from your camera. No external dependencies on other binaries are needed, command line options and will run on 32bit windows.

Requires .NET 4 - Link for download included in readme file if you don't already have it.

Credits give to ds and tnt for the included crmd160 and ftool source code which has been ported to C#. I've also included all source code and links to this forum as a way of giving a little back for all the information and help this topic has provided.

I hope the tool proves useful in some way.

Thank you to EEVBLOG and all members of this thread!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:00:28 pm by Nem »

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4633 on: March 30, 2014, 07:05:04 pm »
TL;DR :
30th Mar 2014.
New production units are shipping with 1.21 or 1.22 firmware, and hardware version 1.1L It is not known what the L means. Very few if any 1.19.x units remain in the distribution chain.
1.2x has countermeasures against the original hack, however  1.21  and 1.22 have now been successfully hacked, and confirmed by several users.
Jan 29rd 2014 is the latest reported manufacture date we have seen with 1.9.8 firmware.
This post will be updated with any developments. Things are moving fast so always check the end of the thread for any very recent updates.

Newbie help thread - please use for issues relating to known firmware versions up to and including 1.21

1.21/1.22 firmware hack info

DaveWB's video tutorials for old and new firmware versions

Link to old firmware hack info for all versions below 1.2x

Link to Taucher's menu hacks (Beta - for advanced users) These enable extra features not even available on the E8 like manual temperature mode, additional pallettes and measure modes, and digital zoom.

Link to Nersut's detailed guide to hacking the i series
Link to older i3 hack info

Tomas123's links on post- processing and measurements using E4 images

Jolly's raspberry Pi E4 video recorder

Links to useful files and documents :
Aurora's Useful  information thread, including log of versions and serial numbers

Flir Tools http://www.flir.com/thermography/americas/us/view/?id=54865

Direct (non-registration required) link to Flir RNDIS driver http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/swdownload/assets/other/flir_device_drivers.exe

Tech notes documenting network modes using RNDIS http://www.imc-store.com.au/v/vspfiles/assets/images/flir%20a310%20technical%20notes.pdf

Info on console commands etc. http://support.flir.com/DocDownload/Assets/75/English/T559504$A.pdf

There is  lots of other useful info in this thread so well worth a read.

Yes, it has a 320x240 60fps sensor - same as the £4700 E8 model and even more expensive Ex0 series

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline pts

« Reply #4634 on: March 30, 2014, 07:11:24 pm »
Tech notes documenting network modes using RNDIS
http://www.imc-store.com.au/v/vspfiles/assets/images/flir%20a310%20technical%20notes.pdf

Returns Not found.

Any second source ?

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #4635 on: March 30, 2014, 07:29:48 pm »
The FLIR E8 (and the hacked FLIR E4 by extension) and the FLIR T4x0 both have the same resolution, yet the sample images from the latter seem to be much sharper. Are there any other factors besides the lens and frame rate that affect the quality of a thermal image?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4636 on: March 30, 2014, 08:09:50 pm »
The optics in the E4 are about as cheap and simple as can be deployed in a thermal camera, and still achieve an acceptable image. More advanced cameras use much larger and higher performance optics. You get what you pay for. This is another reason why the E8 isn't great value....it uses the same cheap optical block as the E4. The new MSX function effectively inserts the target edge detail that is lost by the relatively low thermal resolution and optical performance.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:40:30 pm by Aurora »

Offline tjb1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4637 on: March 30, 2014, 08:33:19 pm »
Can someone explain to me why the max temperature in the frame is not the top of the scale but if you put the hot point follower on it does record an accurate high temp?

See here -

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #4638 on: March 30, 2014, 09:27:59 pm »
The optics in the E4 are about as cheap and simple as can be deployed in a thermal camera, and still achieve an acceptable image. More advanced cameras use much larger and higher performance optics. You get what you pay for. This is another reason why the E8 isn't great value....it uses the same cheap optical block as the E4. The new MX function effectively inserts the target edge detail that is lost by the relatively low thermal resolution and optical performance.

That makes sense. Speaking of which, I noticed some of the pictures on that page are actually from the FLIR T6x0. It's definitely a little deceptive, if you ask me.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4639 on: March 30, 2014, 10:50:28 pm »
@tjb1

As you will know, the E4 in Auto span mode selects the most appropriate span and centre temperature for a 'pretty picture'. That is not to say that the auto setting provides the most useful span or centre temp. In the world of thermal imaging the user normally selects the span window and centre temp to suit the needs of the situation. The camera is actually seeing its full temperature capability at the Microbolometer output. The temperature span is just the 'window' of the display within that range of thermal data. It is not unusual for and Autospan maximum temperature to fall below the target scene highest temperature point. At such a point the thermal palette just shows the highest temperature available. On industrial cameras there is another colour such a Grey that denotes areas that exceed the present span coverage. When using a temperature marker, the camera reads the raw thermal data and provides a true digital value for that pixel or pixel Group. The marker is independent of any span or centre temp settings as it does not use the display data stream, it works with the full thermal microbolometer data set.

Offline benst

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4640 on: March 31, 2014, 03:33:17 pm »
Thank you all for the great work! I have just upgraded my E4 (1.21.0 / 1.1L / serial 639147xx) with the resolution and menu hack and it worked flawlessly.

Very impressed by all your detective work and special thanks to Mike for getting the ball rolling.

Kind regards,
Ben
I hack for work and pleasure.

Offline Ivan7enych

• Regular Contributor
    • My astronomy projects
« Reply #4641 on: April 01, 2014, 09:58:30 am »

Looks like it is just a standard 32 bit CRC like used in the ZIP format. Here's a short python script to calculate it for a file:

Code: [Select]
import sys
import zlib
with open(sys.argv[1], 'r') as fp:
    crc = zlib.crc32(fp.read()) & 0xffffffff
    print '0x%08x' % crc

Hello, my note about generating CRC sum for calib.rsc file.
Above mentioned python script doesn't work on win7 x64 (generates wrong CRC)

With little modification it works well (open files in bynary mode - 'rb' not simple 'r' )
Code: [Select]
import sys
import zlib
with open(sys.argv[1], 'rb') as fp:
    crc = zlib.crc32(fp.read()) & 0xffffffff
    print '0x%08x' % crc

This allows me to fix misalignment of visual and thermal images. Thanks tomas123 for the explanation!
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg406402/#msg406402
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:04:00 am by Ivan7enych »

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #4642 on: April 01, 2014, 05:23:11 pm »
FYI: FLIR is reducing the price of the E4 to $750 for a limited time only!

TEquipment.NET has more information about the promo: http://www.tequipment.net/FLIRE4.html

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4643 on: April 01, 2014, 06:28:13 pm »
FYI: FLIR is reducing the price of the E4 to $750 for a limited time only!

TEquipment.NET has more information about the promo: http://www.tequipment.net/FLIRE4.html
asshole!

Offline RAWebb

• Contributor
« Reply #4644 on: April 01, 2014, 06:57:00 pm »
Nah, it was a pretty good gotcha. Worth a smile for sure. :)

Offline mago

• Contributor
« Reply #4645 on: April 01, 2014, 08:10:46 pm »
@cboles

Here are the steps:

Just tried (over and over) the above with my just arrived E4 1.22 with no success  :wtf:
i can only see some extra menu after installing the ADDMENU-BETA3 package, although not fully functional, some of them just freezes camera, like multi temp measure, but i think it's due to the main hack not working.

BTW apart a supposely better looking picture on screen, where am i supposed to see the full resolution? Camera info maybe? or some new menu which lets me to choose resolution? Sorry i'm completely new to this cameras.. |O

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4646 on: April 01, 2014, 08:45:59 pm »
[...] but i think it's due to the main hack not working.

If you don't have MSX and the center measuring spot is missing, then something went wrong along the process of generating the new .cfc-file. Your current file is invalid.

Take a look at these posts:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg416195/#msg416195
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg411505/#msg411505

This might help :)

You can see the resolution in the image info. You have to open an image in the gallery and select "image info" in the menu. Then the camera will tell you the thermal resolution and the digital resolution (from the digital camera). But because of the invalid config file you're running right now, the thermal image won't be saved and you won't see the line "thermal resolution" in the image info.

EDIT: I just realized now that this "discussion" should have taken place here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-teardown-qa-and-newbie-questions/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:49:58 pm by stefbeer »

Offline nihil

« Reply #4647 on: April 01, 2014, 11:32:55 pm »
Apologies in advance if this is old news. My searching for a Linux based way to connect to the E4 only turned up some frustrated sounding posts with no success stories.

It seems the E4 does indeed use a modified DHCP/RNDIS that doesn't play well without the FLIR tools installed, and manually configuring your interface to the expected 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.1.0 range fails as expected.

However, if you fire up your favorite sniffer very quickly after the device is created, you'll see that it initially sets itself up at 192.168.250.2, making things easy (mine came up on eth4):

# ifconfig eth4 192.168.250.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
# ping 192.168.250.2
PING 192.168.250.2 (192.168.250.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.250.2: icmp_req=1 ttl=128 time=5.29 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.250.2: icmp_req=2 ttl=128 time=1.06 ms
^C
--- 192.168.250.2 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.064/3.181/5.298/2.117 ms

# ftp 192.168.250.2
Connected to 192.168.250.2.
220 Service ready for new user.
Name (192.168.250.2:nihil): flir
331 User name okay, need password.
Password:
230 User logged in, proceed.
Remote system type is Windows_CE.
ftp> ls
229 Entering extended passive mode (|||49152|).
125 Data connection already open; transfer starting.
01-01-98  12:00       <DIR>          FlashFS
01-01-98  12:00       <DIR>          FlashIFS
01-01-98  12:00       <DIR>          FlashBFS
04-02-14  03:21                 4096 Printer.swap
04-01-14  19:21       <DIR>          profiles
04-01-14  19:21       <DIR>          Documents and Settings
04-01-14  19:21       <DIR>          My Documents
04-01-14  19:21       <DIR>          Program Files
04-01-14  19:21       <DIR>          Temp
04-01-14  19:21       <DIR>          Windows
226 Closing data connection.
ftp>

Again, apologies if this is old news, I didn't read through this entire thread. I just saw the posts found in a search that did not look like anyone got anywhere.

Edit: I also compiled the CRC03 and ftool utilities native without any modification.

g++ crmd160.cpp crmd160.h main.cpp -o crc03
and
g++ main.cpp md5.cpp md5.h -o ftool

Thanks to all for the hard work.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:36:31 pm by nihil »

Offline mago

• Contributor
« Reply #4648 on: April 02, 2014, 07:20:04 am »
Since so many people seem to struggle with generating their own conf.cfc , I took the time and wrote a quick'n'dirty (well, not really quick but still a bit dirty) GUI for the tools in AutoIt. See the attached .zip .
I did some testing and everything should work. Also most errors should be handled. But ("sadly" ;D ) I only have an E4 with firmware 1.19.8 , but maybe someone could do some testing by herself / himself and give me some feedback. :)

@ flir-ID10T : Maybe this will help you.

Hi stefbeer, link to .zip file is broken! Can you upload again?

Offline Jaimslaw

• Contributor
« Reply #4649 on: April 02, 2014, 07:53:57 am »

It took them about 3 weeks to ship mine.  You can find out the status by calling FLIR Sales at 800-464-6372.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf