Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803672 times)

Offline copineau

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #5700 on: October 30, 2014, 01:18:54 pm »
I did it!!
My E4 has now a LOT better resolution.
The problem that I had was that the new created file wouldn't load back to the camera ( the files that are located in the python folder)
What I did, I deleted the new created files (dll.dll and conf.cfc) and I tried it again because I was getting error 550.
I did it about 5 times and suddenly, I got the message "reboot device" I knew I had succeeded!
It works perfect now, quite a difference in quality.
I'm very happy and I want to thanks everybody that worked hard to give us the chance to achieved the hack.
Really appreciated.

Offline Andyf80

• Contributor
« Reply #5701 on: October 30, 2014, 01:35:51 pm »
Thanks again Bookaboo, I'll give that a try!

Great work Copinaeu.

Thank you all for helping make this happen.
The stock resolution was a joke in comparison.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5702 on: October 30, 2014, 02:02:34 pm »
and also, is there something i can fiddle with to improve the image algorithm? or reduce its compression rate when it saves?

There are, but your much better off working with the RAW data that is embedded in the existing JPG's since it's loss-less.

Do some more reading in this thread - tools like flir.php and BFIC that extract and work with the RAW sensor data have already been made available and can be used to make wonderful images.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:33:19 pm by OrBy »

Offline Marcel 88

« Reply #5703 on: October 30, 2014, 03:57:57 pm »
Hi, today my new E4 was in the mail but i can't connect with ftp to the thermal cam. I'm following the instructions on page 377. But at the step with the ipconfig i get this ip address from the cam: 169.254.237.105. (I installed the camera driver manually) What did I miss, where is my failure?

Hopefully someone can help me.

Offline Andyf80

• Contributor
« Reply #5704 on: October 30, 2014, 05:25:36 pm »
Have you tried:
Ftp
Open 169.254.237.105 ?

Thanks for the help everyone!
I got mine hacked and recognizing the usb in flir tools now. I appreciate it.

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5705 on: October 30, 2014, 06:26:32 pm »
169.254.x.x indicates that Windows did not get a DHCP response and assigned a "zeroconfig" (or whatever it's called these days) address. I don't know how the setup is _supposed_ to be (is there a DHCP server running on the cam?), but I had to hardcode the IP configuration to (for example) 192.168.250.1 in network settings.

To figure out the CAM's IP address, I used tcpdump (or wireshark), and saw some packets from the cam.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5706 on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:51 pm »
oh my ... that lens ! thanks for the heads up
flir.php ... so much search result returns :p

No special lens was used - that's a E4 modded with the res hack - but there is a catch.

Your going to need ImageMagick, MS ICE, PHP, EXIFTool, FLIR Tools, and a decent chunk of time.

There is another PHP file here (splitjpg.php) that was used to stitch many images together into a panoramic with MS ICE then I ran the output though the splitphp then FLIR tools then finally the flir.php. It's a bit convoluted but results are  :-+. Users here like tomas123 and daves have contributed some insane work on this.

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
« Reply #5707 on: October 30, 2014, 09:28:33 pm »
Torrent is unavailable.

I have created a Torrent with all the needed files in order to hack the E4 please seed if you download.
Thanks!
https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/11327374

Offline bpan

• Contributor
« Reply #5708 on: October 30, 2014, 11:00:18 pm »
I dont know why but the torrent and account have been deleted. Maybe I was not following their rules?

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
« Reply #5709 on: October 30, 2014, 11:23:17 pm »
I gave up on trying to get this working on my main PC.  I even tried static IPs. 

I switched to my laptop and it assigns an IP OK.

Have you tried:
Ftp
Open 169.254.237.105 ?

Thanks for the help everyone!
I got mine hacked and recognizing the usb in flir tools now. I appreciate it.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5710 on: October 31, 2014, 03:33:00 am »
Why is that no one is saying that 192.168.0.1 is the default gateway IP on many home routers and as such this IP and 192.168.0.2 may already be assigned to other computers and that may create a conflict and cause all sort of glitches when performing the published procedure.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5711 on: October 31, 2014, 04:20:50 am »
Does anyone remember if FLIR had Christmas sale discounts last year ?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5712 on: October 31, 2014, 06:05:31 am »
Dunno about Christmas sale, but they did have a promotion same time as e4 was released.

Since I missed the 25% off at zoro tools, I am hoping they have similar/usual discounts for black friday/cyber monday. (dec 1).
25,30,40 previous years.

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #5713 on: October 31, 2014, 07:11:19 am »
Since I missed the 25% off at zoro tools, I am hoping they have similar/usual discounts for black friday/cyber monday. (dec 1).
25,30,40 previous years.

Don't expect Black Friday or Cyber Monday discounts on thermal cameras because the average end-user does not buy test equipment. But never say never...

Offline larry42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5714 on: October 31, 2014, 09:34:11 am »
For close-up work:
How is the FLIR lens held in place - will repeatedly screwing/unscrewing cause the fastening mechanism (gasket?) to wear out?
I have a ZnSe element on order, but I would prefer to only use the FLIR internal lens, as I guess the temperature accuracy is better with only the internal lens.

If you have an animated GIF in your avatar or signature then I reserve the right to think you're a dolt.

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
« Reply #5715 on: October 31, 2014, 10:24:38 am »
My home network is 192.168.1.1.  So there is some other issue going on here...

Why is that no one is saying that 192.168.0.1 is the default gateway IP on many home routers and as such this IP and 192.168.0.2 may already be assigned to other computers and that may create a conflict and cause all sort of glitches when performing the published procedure.

Offline Marcel 88

« Reply #5716 on: October 31, 2014, 11:54:06 am »
I solved my IP address problem. Now I tried it on my old Win XP PC and it works just fine.

So really great job you guys. Thanks a lot  :-+

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5717 on: October 31, 2014, 01:37:40 pm »
not lens? but it looks sooooo fish eyed :D ( i tried to read everything ... but my brain is not syncing lol ... i will try experimenting later again)

Yeah MS ICE's stitching makes it look like that.

I do have a lens/holder for close up work but all the big stuff is stitched.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5718 on: October 31, 2014, 03:14:46 pm »
ok the first image is a stiching of 4 quadrants and the lower 1 is a pano right?

The first one is one image done though a CO2 lens but flir.php by default resizes 200% and smooths a bit hence the larger size.

The second one is a pano but I disabled the resize since it would be super wide if I left it.

For close-up work:
How is the FLIR lens held in place - will repeatedly screwing/unscrewing cause the fastening mechanism (gasket?) to wear out?
I have a ZnSe element on order, but I would prefer to only use the FLIR internal lens, as I guess the temperature accuracy is better with only the internal lens.

There would be a bit of wear but I would be more concerned that once you touch the lens your calibration and image correction are compromised anyway. I don't understand it all myself but mrflibble did some great work on this around the 140-150 page mark I think.

Offline bpan

• Contributor
« Reply #5719 on: October 31, 2014, 04:15:21 pm »
Sorry this is a little off topic, I am just wondering if anyone knows who makes the case for the e4. I like it a lot and want more cases similar to it!

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5720 on: October 31, 2014, 04:25:58 pm »
The soft case was made by www.shell-case.com.
I don't have the hard case handy to figure out who made it.

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5721 on: October 31, 2014, 04:32:36 pm »
Sorry this is a little off topic, I am just wondering if anyone knows who makes the case for the e4. I like it a lot and want more cases similar to it!
If you mean the hard case, look for "peli case" - not sure if the Flir one is actually made by Peli or is a look-alike
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline chuckw99

« Reply #5722 on: October 31, 2014, 09:01:08 pm »
I'm new to TIC's. I needed one for a boiler project and didn't even know about the hack at the time.

Well crap on a cracker that was easy!!! Upgraded.

Thanks to all the developers and people with questions.

Offline emtgreg

« Reply #5723 on: October 31, 2014, 10:38:06 pm »
I am attempting the upgrade to my 2.3/1.2L E4, and I am stuck. I have used FLIRInstallNet to enable RNDIS mode using the temp RDNIS file(I think) however I cannot select anything in the hidden USB menu...and after I log into the camera it stalls out at the 150 File status ok; about to open data connection. any ideas?

EDIT: it did not appear that my camera was in RNDIS mode, now when I go into the USB menu it is right. Ill get this yet!

Success!

Also I would like to say something to those to are  working on this project, THANK YOU!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:22:45 am by emtgreg »

Offline Tom9999

• Contributor
« Reply #5724 on: November 01, 2014, 03:15:29 am »
There is no need for "v0.1" of this hack. You can use v0.2 just fine. Please do not recommend v0.1, since it did fewer error checks, did not automate the "stopapp" etc.;

if the only issue is the "550", you can _still_ upload the files manually. Just use v0.2, and then manually upload the files.

this hacked for flir e4 2.3.0 f/w or can it done on 2.1.0 f/w?
Thank you
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:48:10 am by Tom9999 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf