Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803711 times)

Offline nissepisse

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #5750 on: November 04, 2014, 06:51:14 pm »
Well, it was ordered in Sweden... I was thinking that Flir would have exchanged those in the "home area" first of all but it doesn't look that way. Probably is the selling volume quite low here and therefore a lot of old units still in stock.

Mine was calibrated in March.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:57:47 pm by nissepisse »

Offline Tom9999

• Contributor
« Reply #5751 on: November 04, 2014, 08:42:44 pm »
  Do I have to do E4 hack in windows only or can I do it in ubuntu Linux OS?

Thank you

Offline nissepisse

« Reply #5752 on: November 04, 2014, 09:00:08 pm »
If i´m wrong i hope someone will correct me but from what i can find you will need microsoft os since the drivers only seems to be for ms.

The python scripts should work if you get the drivers to work, but TIConfig uses .NET framework.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5753 on: November 04, 2014, 09:39:32 pm »
The applaunch.dat file is present after the "update" but apparently it doesn't do anything. At least, it doesn't affect running the modified XML scripts.
´
There is  one sgn file - applaunch.sgn and inside applaunch.dat is some files lenght and crc. Like that -
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\ui.d\toolbar-config_Z3.xml 1263 2286214514
somewhere something checking them.
After thinking all night I tried hack this menu. All files are in E4 anyway from first copy, only those
facet_z3.rcc and toolbar-config_z3.xml do not let him boot... here I found weak point. I replaced
files after boot but before he reads them. And I saw this enhanged menu but all not working and
camera crashed. After that things gone very bad. I lost MSX and measure spot and other stuff.
Make all working again was bit difficult...
Ok, i have menu now, but what I must see? I have now 8 color palletes,
scale: auto - lock - unlock and measurement: new delta s and delta t.
But delta s like center spot and delta t like no measurement. And that's all.

My camera is Flir E4 1.2L 2.3.0 from oct. 16, 2014

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5754 on: November 04, 2014, 09:40:22 pm »
The applaunch.dat file is present after the "update" but apparently it doesn't do anything. At least, it doesn't affect running the modified XML scripts.
´
There is  one sgn file - applaunch.sgn and inside applaunch.dat is some files lenght and crc. Like that -
# doCRC FlashBFS\system\ui.d\toolbar-config_Z3.xml 1263 2286214514
somewhere something checking them.
After thinking all night I tried hack this menu. All files are in E4 anyway from first copy, only those
facet_z3.rcc and toolbar-config_z3.xml do not let him boot... here I found weak point. I replaced
files after boot but before he reads them. And I saw this enhanged menu but all not working and
camera crashed. After that things gone very bad. I lost MSX and measure spot and other stuff.
Make all working again was bit difficult...

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5755 on: November 04, 2014, 09:48:03 pm »
It should work from Linux. In fact, I've developed the 2.3.0-hack in Linux.

There's a very ugly tool included (usbmode.py) that switches the cam from UVC+MSD to RNDIS. After that, the default rndis kernel driver should attach, giving you an eth device. You need to setup the IP address manually ("ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.1 up" for example if your cam's address is 192.168.0.2; you can use tcpdump to figure it out if you don't know it) though.

Make sure ping and telnet works okay before using apply.py.

Offline nissepisse

« Reply #5756 on: November 04, 2014, 10:06:39 pm »

Zoom, 13 color pallets, 7 measurements, picture in picture in image mode is what i have on my 1.22 after update (maybe something more has changed but this is what i can se now after update).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:08:52 pm by nissepisse »

Offline AleXYZ

« Reply #5757 on: November 05, 2014, 12:12:00 am »
Wow zoro tools has 30% off today on the E4.  5% more if you use discover.  I only got 25% last week...

code: SaveBig

Thanks, viacom1!  Because of the existence of this forum and that 30% off sale, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a E4 unit.  Saving almost $300 bucks made the decision easy(ier).

Now the hacking begins...

Offline myrong

« Reply #5758 on: November 05, 2014, 12:52:53 am »
Reflashed firmware 2.3.0 - now lets try something more.
How is it possible to reflash 2.3.0 ??
Download update from homepage and browse it to FLIRInstallNet.exe and "Run FIF"
But something strange was with resolution hack, it did not run. It patch dll, but Config.cfc was already hacked -
it did backup where was original dll and cracked cfc. But when I looked into E4, that moment was there original cfc.
I uploaded patched from that backup directory.

Tried the same thing as you, and got the black screen. Which FIF file did you use to fix it?

Offline JasonM

« Reply #5759 on: November 05, 2014, 03:57:20 am »
But something strange was with resolution hack, it did not run. It patch dll, but Config.cfc was already hacked -
it did backup where was original dll and cracked cfc. But when I looked into E4, that moment was there original cfc.

Tried the same thing as you, and got the black screen. Which FIF file did you use to fix it?

Download the FLIR Ex (2.3.0) Update Pack and unzip it. It should contain Z3comb_v2.3.0.fif.

Offline Tom9999

• Contributor
« Reply #5760 on: November 05, 2014, 06:17:17 am »
  I did get screen hacked work with 2.1.0 f/w.

Offline Tom9999

• Contributor
« Reply #5761 on: November 05, 2014, 06:38:36 am »

Download the FLIR Ex (2.3.0) Update Pack and unzip it. It should contain Z3comb_v2.3.0.fif.

what is news on 2.3.0 F/W and I am still on 2.1.0.

Offline myrong

« Reply #5762 on: November 05, 2014, 06:46:23 am »

Unfortunately, mine appears a little more fubar'd. After successfully uploading the FIF file and eFLIRInstall.exe and unplugging the USB after, there's no installation progress displayed on the camera screen. Tried it multiple times. Any suggestions

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5763 on: November 05, 2014, 05:31:05 pm »

Zoom, 13 color pallets, 7 measurements, picture in picture in image mode is what i have on my 1.22 after update (maybe something more has changed but this is what i can se now after update).
I think this config.cfg resolution hack not enabling all E8 features and other that in plain text version... cfg must remain same size...
I think here you can see template for cfg
FlashFS/system/service/appcore.d/config.d/conf.cfg
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:44:30 pm by janekivi »

Offline JasonM

« Reply #5764 on: November 06, 2014, 12:52:14 am »

Unfortunately, mine appears a little more fubar'd. After successfully uploading the FIF file and eFLIRInstall.exe and unplugging the USB after, there's no installation progress displayed on the camera screen. Tried it multiple times. Any suggestions

It probably won't do anything itself by copying the FIF/eFLIRInstall.exe to the camera. If you've installed FLIR Tools, execute "FLIR Systems\FLIR Tools\bin\FLIRInstallNet.exe" from the appropriate Program Files directory. Select the camera (FLIR USB Video), browse to Z3comb_v2.3.0.fif, and select "Run FIF". It'll take 30 minutes or so to replace the OS and the contents of "flashbfs/system". You should see the progress of the update in FLIRInstallNet.

If that doesn't work, I am out of suggestions. I had a similar black screen issue. Flir Tools' method of updating by extracting/uploading the FIF and eFLIRInstall.exe to the USB storage would not work, as nothing was booting.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5765 on: November 06, 2014, 02:27:11 pm »
oh my ... that lens ! thanks for the heads up
flir.php ... so much search result returns :p

No special lens was used - that's a E4 modded with the res hack - but there is a catch.

Your going to need ImageMagick, MS ICE, PHP, EXIFTool, FLIR Tools, and a decent chunk of time.

There is another PHP file here (splitjpg.php) that was used to stitch many images together into a panoramic with MS ICE then I ran the output though the splitphp then FLIR tools then finally the flir.php. It's a bit convoluted but results are  :-+. Users here like tomas123 and daves have contributed some insane work on this.

not lens? but it looks sooooo fish eyed :D ( i tried to read everything ... but my brain is not syncing lol ... i will try experimenting later again)

Just a quick update - the newer versions of FLIR Tools when editing an existing image file would re-save the EXIF info into a newer version that made it incompatible with EXIFTool and cause it to fail. Phil Harvey the EXIFTool Author has updated it to v9.75 and fixes this issue so it works again. http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/topic,6119.0.html.

Offline emtgreg

« Reply #5766 on: November 07, 2014, 12:33:54 am »
Has anyone gotten any of the extended functions to work on the 1.2L/2.3.0? I am most interested in the pallets and the measurement tools. I saw earlier that there were a few working on this..was there any progress? Thanks! :-+

Offline Bud123

« Reply #5767 on: November 07, 2014, 01:26:56 pm »
10% off at Zoro
CPNAF10

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
« Reply #5768 on: November 07, 2014, 06:24:10 pm »
Wait for the 30% towards the end of the month.  Monitor this forum for the code when it becomes available.

10% off at Zoro
CPNAF10

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5769 on: November 07, 2014, 07:08:00 pm »
Has anyone gotten any of the extended functions to work on the 1.2L/2.3.0? I am most interested in the pallets and the measurement tools. I saw earlier that there were a few working on this..was there any progress? Thanks! :-+
I can tell you how to use new menu files- toolbar-config_z3.xml, design_ui_z3.xml and facet_z3.rcc or whatever files,
but someone must make them. Existing "2.3.0Menu_Upgrade" adds only more palettes- that I can share with You
and I think new E4 do not have many extended functions...
.image.sysimg.alarms  --  ends here
.ui.userSettings -- ends here
and so on.
Many stuff needs to be enabled somewhere, like pip, zoom, humidity, insulation, isotherm, spot, arrow, box... shortly - all stuff,
without them we have... only more palettes
As I said, my camera is Flir E4 1.2L 2.3.0 from oct. 16, 2014

Offline emtgreg

« Reply #5770 on: November 07, 2014, 08:28:50 pm »
I can tell you how to use new menu files- toolbar-config_z3.xml, design_ui_z3.xml and facet_z3.rcc or whatever files,
but someone must make them. Existing "2.3.0Menu_Upgrade" adds only more palettes- that I can share with You
and I think new E4 do not have many extended functions...
.image.sysimg.alarms  --  ends here
.ui.userSettings -- ends here
and so on.
Many stuff needs to be enabled somewhere, like pip, zoom, humidity, insulation, isotherm, spot, arrow, box... shortly - all stuff,
without them we have... only more palettes
As I said, my camera is Flir E4 1.2L 2.3.0 from oct. 16, 2014

I would be very grateful for the palettes, and maybe a quick install how to. I have already done the res upgrade.

Offline AleXYZ

« Reply #5771 on: November 07, 2014, 08:34:42 pm »
My FLIR E4 arrived from Zoro this afternoon, and it shipped with v2.1.0 firmware.   The OP indicates 2.1 was a short-lived version with possible connectivity issues, yet a later post indicated success using the V0.3 hack.

Before I start the hack procedure, does anyone know definitively if there is going to be a problem (and possible solution) with applying the hack to V2.1, or should I upgrade manufacturer firmware to V2.3 first?

Offline Hugoneus

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
« Reply #5772 on: November 08, 2014, 06:57:19 am »
Thank you all for your contribution. I have purchased an E4 which is 1.2L, 2.3.0. I would appreciate a few quick answers:

1) Is there a clear step-by-step instruction for version 2.3.0 available? (I am sorry if I have missed it)
2) Aside from the increased resolution does the hack offer any other improvements? What is still missing compared to the E8?

Any additional comments which you think may be relevant would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5773 on: November 08, 2014, 09:03:13 am »
...but, why You do not read messages even in this page?
Sometime answers is 2 messages away.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5774 on: November 08, 2014, 09:21:22 am »
No worries Shahriar,

janekivi probably doesn't know how much you contribute to the community.

tmbinc is the one that originally figured it out:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg534297/#msg534297

Also there is a step by step done by compet17 probably based on tmbinc's work:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg535619/#msg535619

I don't know how complete those two posts are since I don't have a flir e4.

Good luck, and I hope it works out smoothly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf