Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803736 times)

Offline Emoticon

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #6325 on: January 01, 2015, 07:45:32 am »
Has anyone got this menu update to work with PIP and Zoom? When I install the menu upgrade the zoom and pip icons vanish and if I try to put them back on they just never show up.... Any help is appreciated thanks!

Offline centaurian

« Reply #6326 on: January 01, 2015, 09:18:10 am »
Emoticon: those functions works for me....

Offline sofisticated

• Contributor
« Reply #6327 on: January 01, 2015, 12:26:06 pm »
They are working for me either

Offline Paul10000

« Reply #6328 on: January 01, 2015, 04:50:16 pm »
Amazing extras but I've also lost the zoom icon since installing the latest 2014 menu.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6329 on: January 01, 2015, 04:55:43 pm »
Did you apply the 2014 mod on top of what you already had? I understand you are supposed to use the cfc file that only had  resolution  mod. This approach worked for me.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Emoticon

• Contributor
« Reply #6330 on: January 01, 2015, 05:36:13 pm »
Did you apply the 2014 mod on top of what you already had? I understand you are supposed to use the cfc file that only had  resolution  mod. This approach worked for me.

I tried it both ways I tried it adding them in on top of existing hacks (pip and zoom vanish), then I did a flat install of 2.3.0 did the reso (using .4 version I had on my comp) and then installed 2014 menu hack, at that point again no zoom, no pip. Tried to install them on top of it after installing 2014 menu fresh over an original reso hack, still nothing. I even extracted the fif files to see what I was missing or hadn't changed, but I'm not seeing it.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6331 on: January 01, 2015, 05:45:01 pm »
If you know what you're doing and have "resolution hack only" conf.cfc
then you are qualified to hack menu this time.
That's how it says in readme. Ok, I say.

If you apply 2.3.0 firmware for repair, you see it does not delete anything extra
from camera and does not touch FlashFS folder and does not touch your conf.cfc file.
You get it back only from your backup and there is chance you have it where first reso
hack made backup directory "backup-datetime" in Python27.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 05:59:54 pm by janekivi »

Offline Myrulken

« Reply #6332 on: January 01, 2015, 05:50:53 pm »
I have the same issue. When applying new menu, i get everything except Zoom, PIP and also no manual temp setting, only "lock" mode.

I have tried both installing over the prior menu as well as using the only res-conf, but it remains the same.  ???

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6333 on: January 01, 2015, 06:25:34 pm »
Slow things down.
Put back conf.cfc file what you think is from factory - reso must be 80x60 and noise is back (135).
Do not have multiple files in \FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\ because it's reading all of them
no matter what name they have.
Put back original common_dll.dll - this can be done in 10 different ways, best if you say stopapp
You must have hacked dll and reso hacked conf. This is can be done now by reso hack v0.4.zip
If you patch this conf to add menu, what we see now?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6334 on: January 01, 2015, 06:55:53 pm »
Do not rename and store original files on the camera for backup purpose. Move them to your PC for backup.

Aslo make sure you use all of the files in 2014 pack, not only the cfc file.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:57:50 pm by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6335 on: January 01, 2015, 07:42:46 pm »
Some want more, some ask what I do now with all that stuff.
I hope there is something to anyone in here.
We may do little gallery here, but not from all combinations.
Actually there is 1372 different combinations of use now.
4 - Image mode
7 - Measurement
12 - Colors (Gray and White hot is the same but you want always "more" : ) )
4 - Zoom
You can use any combinations of them in any time.
And if you select different Measurement and after that Digital camera,
this adds 7 x 4 zoom modes.
If I calculated it correctly...?
You may add to this Temp scale too if you like.

Offline mikhail076

• Contributor
« Reply #6336 on: January 01, 2015, 08:19:58 pm »
thanks janekivi for your amazing work.
whether it is possible to make hot and cold spots locations simultaneously at 2.3.0 as it works at 1.22 menu update?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:23:49 pm by mikhail076 »

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6337 on: January 02, 2015, 12:29:54 am »
@michaeliv,

Simple....FLIR may pursue you as you will be a seller of what they perceive as a 'Fake' product. They have done it before. It may sound illogical but that is the route that their legal bods have taken.
To date FLIR have directed their pursuit of such sellers via ebay and via dealers who supplied the camera. They can obtain your home address and details through these means.

At least one person on this forum has 'gone dark' after being directly contacted by FLIR with threats of legal action.

Aurora
There were a few people selling on eBay but FLIR really cracked down, I talked to one guy who had a few units left but he said he had no problem selling them in the private market. He sold them for around $1100 iirc. Which isn't bad considering the situation(there was no 2.3 hack available and 1.22 was sold out everywhere)

Now as far as this 2.3.0 firmware, I have a few questions if anyone would be willing to answer(I may look into ordering a 2.3 unit and uploading a new video for YouTube on how to do the hack as I did with the other videos)

Is 2.3 the newest firmware?
How does the new hack compare to the 1.22 hack?
Does the hack work on all units?

I think it would be great to use the answers to these questions and have mike update the first post to easily direct those not familiar or who have been out of the scene for a little bit. Please don't make me actually read  :-DD

Offline Emoticon

• Contributor
« Reply #6338 on: January 02, 2015, 12:36:38 am »
I don't think you'll get much sympathy with that attitude. I'm guilty of skimming a lot too, but I had to read like 100 pages on this thread as I ran into various problems until I felt like I had any kind of had even a glimmer of a handle on how to do things. Why spend $1000 on the device if you can't spend the time to figure it out to make sure you wont ruin it out of the box?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:54:52 am by Emoticon »

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6339 on: January 02, 2015, 12:55:03 am »
I don't think you'll get much sympathy with that attitude. I'm guilty of skimming a lot too, but I had to read like 100 pages on this thread as I ran into various problems until I felt like I had any kind of had even a glimmer of a handle on how to do things. Why spend $1000 on the device if you can't spend the time to figure it out.
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly read the first 300+ pages and am very knowledgable on these units(up until 1.22) and have done many of these cameras and have spent hours on end helping a numerous fix their mistakes or upgrade their cams. People still email me on youtube asking for help on 1.22, I think combined they have over 10k views(you can find them in the first post). However I know that many of the posts on this thread have been repeated questions that I think would be helpful if everyone could have in one place.

Offline Emoticon

• Contributor
« Reply #6340 on: January 02, 2015, 02:13:33 am »
Slow things down.
Put back conf.cfc file what you think is from factory - reso must be 80x60 and noise is back (135).
Do not have multiple files in \FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\ because it's reading all of them
no matter what name they have.
Put back original common_dll.dll - this can be done in 10 different ways, best if you say stopapp
You must have hacked dll and reso hacked conf. This is can be done now by reso hack v0.4.zip
If you patch this conf to add menu, what we see now?

Tried this, same thing, there still is no pip or zoom on the toolbar. I also manually moved over the RCC and other files manually after that just to see if it would do anything. Also when I look at toolbar-config.xml the stuff needed for zoom and pip appears to be in there. I'm certain it's something with the conf.cfc. Is there a way I can just mod the missing parts into the cfc myself? How are you modifying conf.cfc directly? When I open it in notepad its all garbled chinese symbols are you loading it with some other program? Or just using an old file along side and figuring out what the garbled parts mean with your calculator method?

Side note, is it possible to make your own palettes from scratch?

Also have you tried to enlarge the box for the "hotspot"\"coldspot" setting or does that put too much strain on the processor and cause it to lock up?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:57:44 am by Emoticon »

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6341 on: January 02, 2015, 03:19:35 am »
I don't think you'll get much sympathy with that attitude. I'm guilty of skimming a lot too, but I had to read like 100 pages on this thread as I ran into various problems until I felt like I had any kind of had even a glimmer of a handle on how to do things. Why spend $1000 on the device if you can't spend the time to figure it out.
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly read the first 300+ pages and am very knowledgable on these units(up until 1.22) and have done many of these cameras and have spent hours on end helping a numerous fix their mistakes or upgrade their cams. People still email me on youtube asking for help on 1.22, I think combined they have over 10k views(you can find them in the first post). However I know that many of the posts on this thread have been repeated questions that I think would be helpful if everyone could have in one place.

I've read the entire thread, including a few dozen messages that were later removed. It's interesting to see the evolution of the e4 hacks. The current hacks are the result of many brains thinking together, which is quite impressive given the disconnectedness of users in typical forums.

I'd guess that Flir has sold thousands and thousands of e4 cameras that would still be sitting on the shelf if not for the hack. Perhaps Flir believes that all of these e4 customers would have sprung for e8 cameras if no hack was available, but I'm guessing that only a handful of them would have dropped $4000 for what these e4 customers see as being a hobby expenditure.

Offline blaster

« Reply #6342 on: January 02, 2015, 04:15:57 am »
DaveWB would also be great if you can make a video on the menu it would be a great help.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6343 on: January 02, 2015, 10:02:47 am »
thanks janekivi for your amazing work.
whether it is possible to make hot and cold spots locations simultaneously at 2.3.0 as it works at 1.22 menu update?
I have only one 2.3.0 E4 and experimenting with this.
Some things didn't come visible but I finished with it for this year and released it like this.
Everyone can experiment more and add other missing parts and this I like to see here.
Update is adding all of them for this. And this is here too:
<ToolBar name="measure_spot_cold_spot"/><!-- HACK: center + hot + cold (cool function)-->
May be facet.rcc modifications needed... I can't do it yet.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:12:24 am by janekivi »

Offline nick xung

« Reply #6344 on: January 02, 2015, 01:22:53 pm »
:) :)
I used a tripod and moved the cam a little while recording.

I record a RAW movie with Flir E40 with this commands (a batch script)
Code: [Select]
rset .image.services.rtrecord.filename \StorageCard\001.seq
rset .image.services.rtrecord.count 90
rset .image.services.rtrecord.frequency 30
rset .image.services.rtrecord.active true
delay 5
rset .image.services.rtrecord.store true

- with .image.services.rtrecord.active start the record (90 frames with 30 fps)
- the clip is stored in memory
- the command .image.services.rtrecord.store save the movie clip from memory to flash

I can't use a counter larger  as 160 frames -> the Flir E40 goes to out of memory

\>memory
           69% memory load.
     94,957,568 bytes total physical RAM.
     29,454,336 bytes available physical RAM.

after 160Frames = 24MB
\>memory
         98% memory load.
      94,957,568 bytes total physical RAM.
      2,727,936 bytes available physical RAM.

I haven't yet tried this with Flir E4

rls gives the same switches

.image.services.rtrecord: (6)
rw--rw------1- 0 root   root   <a> action                  "RECORD"
                 ["RECORD" "PLAYBACK"]
rw--rw------1- 0 root   root   <b> active                     false
rw--rw------1- 0 root   root   <i> count                         16
                 [2, 1000]
rw--rw-------- 1 root   root   <a> filename        "\Temp\default.seq"
rw--rw------1- 0 root   root   <d> frequency                     10
                 [0.01, 60]
rw--rw------1- 0 root   root   <b> store                      false

you can select a frequency of [0.01, 60;)
HOW to get these commands into work?just copy it to E4?

Offline Myrulken

« Reply #6345 on: January 02, 2015, 03:15:58 pm »

Tried this, same thing, there still is no pip or zoom on the toolbar. I also manually moved over the RCC and other files manually after that just to see if it would do anything. Also when I look at toolbar-config.xml the stuff needed for zoom and pip appears to be in there. I'm certain it's something with the conf.cfc. Is there a way I can just mod the missing parts into the cfc myself? How are you modifying conf.cfc directly? When I open it in notepad its all garbled chinese symbols are you loading it with some other program? Or just using an old file along side and figuring out what the garbled parts mean with your calculator method?

Side note, is it possible to make your own palettes from scratch?

Also have you tried to enlarge the box for the "hotspot"\"coldspot" setting or does that put too much strain on the processor and cause it to lock up?

Emoticon: Have you tried janekivis advice, resetting the camera to stock; Reverse hack and start all over from scratch?

I did this and got PIP and Manual temp, but still no Zoom, don't know what are causing it though

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #6346 on: January 02, 2015, 03:37:29 pm »
Actually there is 1372 different combinations of use now.
4 - Image mode
7 - Measurement
12 - Colors (Gray and White hot is the same but you want always "more" : ) )
4 - Zoom

Does anybody know the difference between this and the good old Taucher menu mod done on the FW 1.19.x?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg326024/#msg326024
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline sky@eevblog

• Contributor
« Reply #6347 on: January 02, 2015, 04:17:36 pm »

If you look inside FlashBFS\system\ui.d\presets.d\ then you may find there what you want (taking into account you applied 2.3.0_Menu.fif to your camera). Then you may delete/rename/backup preset_threeSpots.rsc and then copy/rename existing preset_centerHotColdSpot.rsc to preset_threeSpots.rsc

As for the box size one may look inside corresponding .rsc file, change box size/location and recalculate CRC32. I use WinSCP for that purpose.

All credits going to janekivi of course as those extra *.rsc files were already there waiting for next release I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:44:20 pm by sky@eevblog »

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6348 on: January 02, 2015, 05:00:36 pm »
You already moving the way I like to see but I told many times here -
we don't need CRC in 2.3.0 if in dll this procedure is hacked.
I even don't know how to calculate it : )

Offline sky@eevblog

• Contributor
« Reply #6349 on: January 02, 2015, 05:11:40 pm »
You commented first about CRC32 as I was in process of editing .rsc files without changing # CRC32 line :) as I noticed that some of your .rsc files have this line and some don't have it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf