Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3804173 times)

Offline kuna

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #6700 on: February 19, 2015, 10:06:03 am »
You know there is 2.3.1 out?

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6701 on: February 19, 2015, 06:15:51 pm »
You know there is 2.3.1 out?

Download site still lists 2.3.0 for me.

Offline kuna

« Reply #6702 on: February 19, 2015, 06:20:35 pm »
Got a cam here, delivered two weeks ago, 2.3.1 inside.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor

Offline Dimdadum

« Reply #6704 on: February 19, 2015, 06:45:52 pm »
I have gone through this thread and understood that Windows 7 is not fully supported for this hacking purpose. Ok well, I even though tried and ended up situation where I finally managed to make resolution hack, menu hack and advanced menu hack. After those tricks spot measuring (and other spot features) was not working. Also taking picture raised a small notification window with error "appcore.exe encountered a serious..". I also lost MSX feature and while looking image information there was only few rows shown.

So here is some info of my setup:
TIC: Flir E4 1.2L
Firmware: 2.3.0
Operating System: Windows 7 x64
FTP: WinSCP
RNDIS used: permanent one

Steps so far:
- Stock setup
-> Resolution hack based on this message
-> Basic menu hack
-> Advance menu hack
-> (issues with features)
-> Resolution only conf.cfc (conf_reso_only.cfc)
-> Basic Menu Restore (2.3.0_Menu_Restore.fif)

After those steps I got the basic functions working (with basic menus and noisy low reso). I have took backups from stage after resolution hack, so there should be history files stored safety.

My main question: is there way to fully restore stock 2.3.0 firmware? After that I could try those steps again with Win XP to make sure everything is done again from beginning.

Thank you in advance for your time and support.

-J

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6705 on: February 19, 2015, 08:06:35 pm »
Win is not problem here.
I have seen only 2 problems with update. Conf is not right and
\FlashBFS\system\appcore.d\factory.d\ui_control.rsc is not right.

Offline bretzeljoe

« Reply #6706 on: February 20, 2015, 09:37:18 pm »
Hi,

i have some questions regarding the e30 hack. I have a E40bx and have some trouble applying the hack.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg561266/#msg561266

I observed some issues:

1. in FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d config.cfg the user Igustavocampos used the "app super" term. Is this correct?
2. Igustavocampos uploaded two e30hack.zip files. Are they different? I noticed some differences
3. In Igustavocampos manual there is a step in double:
step 9.3 \FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfg is already modified in the beginning. Is it necessary to do it again?

In the E40bx the file structure looks the same as described in Igustavocampos manual. However when I apply the hack, I loose zooming fuctionality and get no improvement in resolution or function. LuckilyI can revert it completely by re-using the old files. Does anyone else has issues with hacking the Exxbx series? Exxbx series should be the same as the Exx series, don't they? Anyone successfully applied the hack to a Exxbx series cameras. resolution is the most important thing for me.

I also checked the files/procedure from  the user funzt:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg338671/#msg338671

However the manual is rather poor or not existent, just plain files. That' sad. Do I also have to apply the CRC01.exe all the files to obtain the #CRC01 xxxxx? I would be happy if someone could help.

Offline lgustavocampos

« Reply #6707 on: February 20, 2015, 09:58:07 pm »
bretzeljoe, hello, I just read your replay and I have some points to highlight, first and the most important, the hack was originally designed for the early e30, so I must ask you about the version of your camera, is it from before 2013?

Second, You asked about the CRC, I will revise the procedures, but to clarify, my hack lays on the supervisor structure, it is the same that goes on use when you set it to high res from the supervisor menu, but it only while powered on or while not rebooted, and was said so, send me the files you created I will revise it to you.

Third have you done a comllete backup? I can get the sup for you from there, but only if it is a camera from before 2013.

I will look forward your answer, at this very moment I am on my way home, so I may have left a mistake or two, so excuse me.

Kind regards,

Gustavo Campos

Offline bretzeljoe

« Reply #6708 on: February 21, 2015, 09:09:49 am »
Hello Gustavo,

Thank you for the prompt response.
my E40bx camera is from late 2011. Firmware was just updated for your hack to the latest version as described, version number starts with 490. I performed a full backup of the FlashFS folder before starting. Then I performed the procedures you have described.

I will send you the FlashFS folder, original files and my changed files via Mailbigfile. Please send me your email via PM.

Best regards
bretzeljoe

Perhaps I found some other error. The file \FlashFS\system\services.d\config.d config cfg already contains a CRC01 number. the others files not. I deleted this line with the CRC01 number before generating a new one as described. was this not okay?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:34:21 am by bretzeljoe »

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6709 on: February 21, 2015, 12:37:10 pm »
I did this lens holder now but temp is higher with closer view and
"External IR window compensation" menu is not for me...
with this lens compensation must be negative.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6710 on: February 21, 2015, 02:54:09 pm »
I did this lens holder now but temp is higher with closer view
You received more energy than was emitted?
 :-//
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6711 on: February 21, 2015, 05:27:58 pm »
I did this lens holder now but temp is higher with closer view and
"External IR window compensation" menu is not for me...
with this lens compensation must be negative.

Makes sense due to the calibration being done with a known smaller aperture. Your allowing more energy to be gathered and focused so that calibration is no longer valid. Just think of lighting things on fire with a magnifying glass.

Offline Mike1962

« Reply #6712 on: February 21, 2015, 11:30:32 pm »
In the last 7 days I have been digging through 4500 messages, only  2065 to go... ;D
Just seen the YouTube video about the 1.22 hack, makes the mod more clear, any change for a 1.23 firmware mod clip?
2.3 video coming sometime this week

Hi, is the 2.3.0 video uploaded to uTube or somewhere else? Thanks, Mike

Offline clubmkred1

« Reply #6713 on: February 22, 2015, 12:26:16 am »
Has anyone had this problem after their resolution hack?:

Doing an image playback in the camera itself: when I go to the image information screen my emissivity, distance, and thermal resolution are all correct. But the reflective temperature always displays 20 degrees F, the relative humidity is always 50% and the atmospheric temp is always 68 degrees F no matter what. I know that the E4 may not have the capability to record humidity or ambient temps, but the reflective temp I thought was always set by the user in the settings. No matter what I choose, the image information always displays 20 degrees F.

Before I did the hack, I had reset the camera to the factory defaults. I noticed that the default setting for reflectivity was 20 degrees C (or 68 degrees F)... I wonder if that somehow got stuck in the process, even though it now displays F.

BTW: @DaveWB, nice job on the comparison video. Really makes me want to upgrade the menu now...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:39:19 am by clubmkred1 »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6714 on: February 22, 2015, 01:12:41 am »
I did this lens holder now but temp is higher with closer view
Can you share the link to the holder 3D files ?

Offline kezat

• Contributor
« Reply #6715 on: February 22, 2015, 06:48:20 am »
I posted this in the https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/flir-e4-the-useful-information-thread/ thread, I thought I should post it here also in case anyone is still looking for a simple lens holder ;)
Yes with a supplemental lens the displayed temperature will change, I wonder how hard it would be to do some offset measurements.

"Hi guys, I designed a lens holder for 19 and 20mm lens, it is up on http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:683107 if you have access to a 3D printer.

Two quad resister arrays and a darlington transistor array IC.

Thin PCB trace with a simulated short.

This is not using the lens but I thought it was cool, can you spot the bad capacitor? ;D
"

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6716 on: February 22, 2015, 11:45:48 am »
I made it with autocad. After receiving I trimmed it a bit...
This is for home use and must look good (it won't fit in holster with camera : )))

I have 20mm ZnSe Focal Length 4'' lens
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:28:05 pm by janekivi »

Offline cux350z

« Reply #6717 on: February 22, 2015, 09:07:45 pm »
Hey guys, new user. Just got my unit Direct from Flir this week. It is a v2.30 Hardware 1.2L.

And guess what..it was already resolution hacked! No joke. When i booted it up i noticed that it looked pretty good and not a low 80x60 resolution. I bought it refurbished too so it came with some images already on it. Guess the previous owner didn't clear it (has pics of his wife on it and some pcb's, house, feet, dogs...)

So I was trying to just plug it in and access the USB mass storage function to see about deleting pictures and verifying functions. Well..it wouldnt show up. Tried in windows 7 32 bit and windows 8.1 64bit. Well..it set up a network so i assumed it was already in RNDIS mode. I connected to FTP, backed up the files and then went to apply the python patch.

Got error about line 89 and that it was already patched. Went back to Filezilla and looked for the .dll and conf.cfc files and sure enough, they were much more recently modified, 11/15/2014 and 2:30 for both...strange. I then dug back through the pictures and looked at some that were prior to that date and the stated resolution was 80x60 and then those after that date were 320x240.

So this was in the hands of FLIR and they did nothing!!! They 100% sold me a E4 with better specs than they claim.

So on to menu hacks!

Offline cux350z

« Reply #6718 on: February 22, 2015, 09:09:01 pm »
Has anyone had this problem after their resolution hack?:

Doing an image playback in the camera itself: when I go to the image information screen my emissivity, distance, and thermal resolution are all correct. But the reflective temperature always displays 20 degrees F, the relative humidity is always 50% and the atmospheric temp is always 68 degrees F no matter what. I know that the E4 may not have the capability to record humidity or ambient temps, but the reflective temp I thought was always set by the user in the settings. No matter what I choose, the image information always displays 20 degrees F.

Before I did the hack, I had reset the camera to the factory defaults. I noticed that the default setting for reflectivity was 20 degrees C (or 68 degrees F)... I wonder if that somehow got stuck in the process, even though it now displays F.

BTW: @DaveWB, nice job on the comparison video. Really makes me want to upgrade the menu now...

My camera does the same thing.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6719 on: February 22, 2015, 09:24:31 pm »
Hey guys, new user. Just got my unit Direct from Flir this week. It is a v2.30 Hardware 1.2L.

And guess what..it was already resolution hacked!
:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline cux350z

« Reply #6720 on: February 22, 2015, 10:07:03 pm »
installed 2.3.0_menu_2014_EX_6_fix which seems to work..noise is back so time to research that. Seems like another user had the same issue. Noise sucks...

*edit..fixed. Full power cycle and battery removal.

The application of the hacks was super easy. Janevki...you are the man. The readme's and forum post are spot on.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:14:53 pm by cux350z »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6721 on: February 22, 2015, 11:14:14 pm »
But the reflective temperature always displays 20 degrees F, the relative humidity is always 50% and the atmospheric temp is always 68 degrees F no matter what.

No such problem here. But you may want to wait for the next patch.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6722 on: February 23, 2015, 04:31:52 pm »
For better look it may be shiny... for this you can print graphics.

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #6723 on: February 23, 2015, 05:02:19 pm »
LOL that might be the one I sent back....

And guess what..it was already resolution hacked! No joke. When i booted it up i noticed that it looked pretty good and not a low 80x60 resolution. I bought it refurbished too so it came with some images already on it. Guess the previous owner didn't clear it (has pics of his wife on it and some pcb's, house, feet, dogs...)

So I was trying to just plug it in and access the USB mass storage function to see about deleting pictures and verifying functions. Well..it wouldnt show up. Tried in windows 7 32 bit and windows 8.1 64bit. Well..it set up a network so i assumed it was already in RNDIS mode. I connected to FTP, backed up the files and then went to apply the python patch.

Got error about line 89 and that it was already patched. Went back to Filezilla and looked for the .dll and conf.cfc files and sure enough, they were much more recently modified, 11/15/2014 and 2:30 for both...strange. I then dug back through the pictures and looked at some that were prior to that date and the stated resolution was 80x60 and then those after that date were 320x240.

So this was in the hands of FLIR and they did nothing!!! They 100% sold me a E4 with better specs than they claim.

So on to menu hacks!

Offline cux350z

« Reply #6724 on: February 23, 2015, 05:53:31 pm »
LOL that might be the one I sent back....

So on to menu hacks!

the high res pics and file modification was the same day you posted the modified write up on how to do the res hack. Coincidence....

You remember the serial?  when i get home i can PM it to you. Its on my old laptop.

Would like to recover the default  conf.cfc file if possible.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf