Author Topic: POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES  (Read 331788 times)

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
Re: POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES
« Reply #675 on: March 23, 2016, 04:32:00 pm »
I got one of the 6114As a while ago for $60 and the only problem was the paint flaking off the tens digit.  Taking it apart wasn't too bad, and I made a tool to shave off the heat welded divots of the plastic pegs.  Since it was only the one wheel, I was able to paint the numbers back with UV cured paint.  Not perfect, but it turned out more than adequate..

Those are really nice supplies.

I've got one here with missing paint on the zero of the hundredths digit. Beyond my skill to repaint it though - I'd just end up with more damaged digits. I like timb's idea of a vinyl stencil and spray paint.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #676 on: March 23, 2016, 11:21:27 pm »

I got one of the 6114As a while ago for $60 and the only problem was the paint flaking off the tens digit.  Taking it apart wasn't too bad, and I made a tool to shave off the heat welded divots of the plastic pegs.  Since it was only the one wheel, I was able to paint the numbers back with UV cured paint.  Not perfect, but it turned out more than adequate..

I've got one here with missing paint on the zero of the hundredths digit. Beyond my skill to repaint it though - I'd just end up with more damaged digits. I like timb's idea of a vinyl stencil and spray paint.

I can make up some vinyl stencils for you if you want to give it a go. I've actually got another 6114A here with damaged digits, so maybe I'll give it a go too. (This unit was in pretty bad shape. I need to locate a few parts before I can get it back together. Namely the mV pot and a front panel overlay in decent shape.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #677 on: March 24, 2016, 03:11:13 am »

I can make up some vinyl stencils for you if you want to give it a go. I've actually got another 6114A here with damaged digits, so maybe I'll give it a go too. (This unit was in pretty bad shape. I need to locate a few parts before I can get it back together. Namely the mV pot and a front panel overlay in decent shape.)

Sure. I have a couple of spare wheels I can experiment on without risk. Please let me know what you need.

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #678 on: March 24, 2016, 03:57:40 am »
Can you use any of the PD supplies in a constant current mode?
That will depend on the model.

I'd look at the front panel photos on eBay for a CV/CC selector switch as not all of their models have this. For example, my TP343B is strictly a CV unit with current limiting, while the 5005R has a CV/CC selector switch ring on the fine adjust pot.

Thanks! Maybe that will be one more reason to justify buying one. I dont have any supplies that can do CC in my lab.

The following users thanked this post: saturation

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #679 on: March 24, 2016, 09:44:44 pm »
Uh oh. Looks like we've ended up hijacking the PD thread into HP land. Before we get more good info in here, perhaps we should relocate and link to the timb/Pedro/motocoder 6114A restoration thread or start a new one for the 611x series.

(And then eBay prices will go up even more :-DD)

Adding links to the two big 6114A threads:

PedroDaGr8 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-6114a-precision-power-supply/
robrenz https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-6114a-precision-power-supply-restoration/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:36:13 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #680 on: March 28, 2016, 05:05:26 pm »
Pretty good price for a decent looking 5020 just listed on ebay.  Too bad I can't justify another one of these excellent supplies.

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #681 on: March 28, 2016, 06:05:54 pm »
Pretty good price for a decent looking 5020 just listed on ebay.  Too bad I can't justify another one of these excellent supplies.

That does look pretty good, although that permanent marker on the front bezel might be hard to remove...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #682 on: March 28, 2016, 07:39:40 pm »
Tempting. The permanent marker could be tricky since the aluminum panel has a clearcoat on it. However, I find the applique on the left two voltage dials more annoying. This is one of those hybrid assemblies that have the stickered knobs on one side and the engraved or silkscreened ones on the other. It could also be that the silkscreen labels wore off and someone stuck their own on top.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 07:41:25 pm by bitseeker »

Offline pelud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #683 on: March 29, 2016, 05:36:54 am »
Sweet! Thanks for the heads up.  Just got it :-+

BTW, there are a couple 3K10B (3kV/10mA) supplies available at eBay auction: #252330600672.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #684 on: March 29, 2016, 06:18:34 am »
Congrats, pelud. We look forward to hearing and seeing all about it when it arrives. :-/O

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #685 on: March 29, 2016, 02:18:42 pm »
Thanks for the headsup on the 3K10B, rarer to find for sale, still used in many labs.  Got it.  If I've time I'll tear it down with photos for all as there is little on in on the net.

BTW, there are a couple 3K10B (3kV/10mA) supplies available at eBay auction: #252330600672.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline pelud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #686 on: March 29, 2016, 04:22:59 pm »
I made sure to get one before I posted on here ;)  It didn't take long for these to sell!

Thanks for the headsup on the 3K10B, rarer to find for sale, still used in many labs.  Got it.  If I've time I'll tear it down with photos for all as there is little on in on the net.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #687 on: March 29, 2016, 09:17:46 pm »
Thanks pelud.  When I browsed for a kV PD design [ for some years! I might add] I always saw the "HV" models, which tended to be bulky and expensive.  I never knew about this series, or at least missed the rare posts on eevblog about it.  Seeing your post, it was a dream come true.  There is another on eBay that is 'as is' for $60 plus shipping, others are at ~$200.  FWIW new it was $700 in the mid-1990s. 

Currently I use an electrophoresis supply to generate up to 3kV but its a noisy SMPS.

I made sure to get one before I posted on here ;)  It didn't take long for these to sell!

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #688 on: March 30, 2016, 03:07:28 am »
Those 2k10b's look nice!

Coincidently, over the past few months I've picked up a couple of old school Power Designs high voltage supplies. They were both cheap ebay deals and I couldn't help myself. ::). They both need some cleaning up but seem to work perfectly. My first test equipment with tubes!

I found a manual for the 2k10 online but no luck finding a manual for the HV-1547. Any lead on a manual for that one much apreciated.  I've already checked the usual sources.

I still need to make up some cables for the funky hv output connectors.

What I'll do with these guys i have no idea yet. I'm sure I'll think of something. Ideas welcome!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 03:09:33 am by mtdoc »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #689 on: March 31, 2016, 12:48:19 am »
I've seen some of those HV supplies go by, but I don't have a (known) use for them. I'll be interested to hear what you all do with them.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #690 on: March 31, 2016, 06:30:42 pm »
I commonly use it for dielectric test or test rated maximum working voltage, to part's failure.

A big problem today is counterfeit or substandard parts, or parts that are quite old.  While the parts we get from the proper supply chains [ e.g. Digikey] can unlikely be counterfeit, for my personal use I get surplus or whatever from eBay or worse.  A simple way to test its not likely counterfeit is if it lives up to its spec sheet, or a test that hinges on quality materials and manufacture, the dielectric withstand test.

If not a PD supply, you can get a Hi Pot or Insulation tester on eBay for about the same price, best capable of up to 3-5kV.   

Industrial HiPot testers tend to be heavily ab/used in life and when sold on eBay, and may not have much life left. 

$<200 new insulation testers from China are a good low cost substitute but they are commonly not continuously variable.

In general, brand name lab supplies of any type OTAH tend to be taken care off so they are better buys.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:34:59 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #691 on: March 31, 2016, 09:06:30 pm »
I'll be interested to hear what you all do with them.

What I wonder is can these be turned on via an AC switch to full voltage?  If so maybe a remote critter killer can be made.  I am trying to catch a mouse that has evaded 15 traps so far.  I have a remote camera set up and I watch him check out every trap and it goes as far as the last step..
I bought every trap Home Depot sells except glue traps (just cannot go that far)

I have tried live traps first, then electric traps, then spring traps.

I wonder if I could rig something up and hit a remote switch that would turn on the unit.  I could place all the gadgets away and use wires and plates.  The main thing it would have to come on fast at the highest voltage, no ramping up.

Wonder if anyone has done this? 

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #692 on: March 31, 2016, 09:49:36 pm »
Victor traps seem to have the market premade in e- traps:

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Electronic-Rat-Trap-M240/dp/B000LNX06C

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E1RIUU

Links have photos.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #693 on: April 01, 2016, 12:44:06 am »

Links have photos.

I have 2 Victor electronic mouse traps (I do not have rats).  They take the food all the to the last plate.  He (or they) wil not take the last step in order to make contact from the last plate  :-[

I guess from an ozone smell from the charged plates.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #694 on: April 01, 2016, 03:47:53 am »

Links have photos.

I have 2 Victor electronic mouse traps (I do not have rats).  They take the food all the to the last plate.  He (or they) wil not take the last step in order to make contact from the last plate  :-[

Maybe enable the voltage with some sort of proximity sensor then.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #695 on: April 01, 2016, 05:05:48 pm »
I guess you have to mod it, some of the Amazon reviews talk about your problem.  Some have enlarged the plates, or put a wet towel to insure the mice's feet were conductive.

To prevent the bait from being removed and not tripping the trap I wrap a piece of meat with one entire spool of cotton thread.  The meat is underneath layers of thread.  The thread soaked into the meat, so they could smell and maybe sample it, but had to dig and struggle into the thread to try to reach the meat, always triggering the trap.  I could use a trap repeatedly made this way for 2 weeks or more and caught many mice with one bait.  After repeated use the thread would be torn up eventually and thus need redoing.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #696 on: April 02, 2016, 12:29:34 am »
I commonly use it for dielectric test or test rated maximum working voltage, to part's failure.

A big problem today is counterfeit or substandard parts, or parts that are quite old.

Ah, OK. That is good to do when sourcing parts from who-knows-where.

Offline pelud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #697 on: April 18, 2016, 01:33:42 am »
I got the Power Designs 5020 Last Week. Here is a mini teardown:

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #698 on: April 18, 2016, 02:12:38 am »
I got the Power Designs 5020 Last Week. Here is a mini teardown.

Turn it over, then tear it down.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #699 on: April 18, 2016, 04:55:41 am »
Not bad. Needs some general cleaning, as usual. Looking forward to seeing the other side of the main PCB.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf