Author Topic: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread  (Read 776762 times)

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #550 on: April 06, 2018, 08:38:08 pm »
Would some kind of inductive powering (like Qi charging) feasible in a safe way in a meter, if the receiving antenna is e.g. well inside the body of the instrument, like the battery compartment?

Again, it adds complexity and cost, to what purpose? What is the point?

Cell phones get charged every few days, so convenient recharging is relevant.

Multimeters get recharged every few months, maybe once a year. So what problem does a built-in rechargeable battery solve?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #551 on: April 06, 2018, 10:29:05 pm »
Would some kind of inductive powering (like Qi charging) feasible in a safe way in a meter, if the receiving antenna is e.g. well inside the body of the instrument, like the battery compartment?

Again, it adds complexity and cost, to what purpose? What is the point?

Cell phones get charged every few days, so convenient recharging is relevant.

Multimeters get recharged every few months, maybe once a year. So what problem does a built-in rechargeable battery solve?
Overall size and weight especially with lithium ion.

Joe Smith did some DMM logging tests with Bluetooth and it certainly can chew up batteries whereas if a DMM was logging while parked in an inductive charging cradle long term battery live would no longer be part of the picture.

Dave might like to think about a R2 version implementing these sorts of design features.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #552 on: April 06, 2018, 10:49:36 pm »
Joe Smith did some DMM logging tests with Bluetooth and it certainly can chew up batteries whereas if a DMM was logging while parked in an inductive charging cradle long term battery live would no longer be part of the picture.

That's true, but...I am forced to wonder if a combination of "sensitive measuring instrument" and "externally imposed inductive field" would be a good idea?

I am inclined to suspect it would be a shielding nightmare.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #553 on: April 06, 2018, 10:52:22 pm »
BTW, I have logged for hours at a time with my favorite logging meters and not had any concerns about battery drain, even though using a 9 V battery.

It's probably not the logging that's expensive, but the Bluetooth.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #554 on: April 06, 2018, 11:29:07 pm »

No point when your meter has 500+ hours battery life, and you can change the batteries available anywhere.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #555 on: April 07, 2018, 01:06:09 am »
when will 121gw meters be available again? how much total price to Jordan?

Also what is the difference in performance between it and the brymen one?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #556 on: April 07, 2018, 01:33:19 am »
To all those who missed the point on safety I was trying to make:   :palm:

The safety concern is one where you have a breach in the isolation of the meter for a charging port.  Only this response addressed that:

Whether any efforts along this line are worth the effort, however, is another question.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #557 on: April 07, 2018, 03:23:47 am »
After quite some R&D and testing, we have decided to drop the proposed 500V VA range support.
All the existing 50V and lower ranges will be available.

The following users thanked this post: geekGee, Brumby, Cliff Matthews, 1anX, DJbarro

Offline imk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #558 on: April 07, 2018, 06:54:50 am »
Lipo's, alkaline's, Nicad etc are all things of the past anyway.
TEN TIMES the energy density of the above and all you need is tea spoon of sugar to recharge them.
500 hr becomes 5000 hr and that's half a year of continues use, even electric car start to make sense :-)
https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2014/01/012213-cals-battery.html
1201 Alarm

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #559 on: April 07, 2018, 01:13:27 pm »
Well, most news on this sugar battery is from 2014,
with not much thereafter.  Problems? Busted? April fools? :wtf:
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #560 on: April 07, 2018, 01:43:33 pm »

No point when your meter has 500+ hours battery life, and you can change the batteries available anywhere.
I was thinking of very long datalogging sessions, and perhaps using a meter that is not so low-power to last 500+ hours.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #561 on: April 07, 2018, 06:13:40 pm »

Is this 500 hours of battery life while actively logging to an SD card and broadcasting serial Bluetooth signals? I have a logging meter, it doesn’t get any battery life like a normal one does with a single 9V.
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #562 on: April 07, 2018, 06:20:08 pm »
4) Access for charging internal batteries would compromise safety - just as having external access to the internal microSD card would be on the 121GW
How would access to the SD card compromise safety?
Ok, potential loop grounding issue if plugged into a computer USB port while measuring mains voltage at the same time. Or like three meters I own the simple solution is serial put data to usb via two infrared making it completely iscolated from the ground in the USB of the computer.
After all, it doesn’t need to be USB 3.1 Gen 2 sleeeds at 10Gbs data transfer, it is just little lines of text being stored. If the micro processor had a little extra code it might be able to complete one of the oldest tasks besides computers have dkne for years besides a calculator, and compress this into a zip file making it 1/100th of the original size for faster transfer speeds.

Update: I just saw the comment you made to those who missed the point. I didn’t miss it, but I do have a $20 meter in my hand that does this type of isolation made by Digitek, it’s the DT-4000ZC
if a $20 meter can do this, I’m sure the effort can be that much extra?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 06:25:03 pm by Scottjd »
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #563 on: April 07, 2018, 06:25:48 pm »
4) Access for charging internal batteries would compromise safety - just as having external access to the internal microSD card would be on the 121GW
Because the DMM's 0V rail could be connected to several hundred volts
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: jancumps, Brumby

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #564 on: April 07, 2018, 06:51:39 pm »
Because the DMM's 0V rail could be connected to several hundred volts

Ok, I know I dropped a $20 meter for an example,but the fluke 289 works the same way. The receiving IR and PCB/Chip is not connected to the main DMM PCB at all, in fact it’s powered by the 5VDC from the USB port. So forgive me if I wrong, but I still don’t see how that would be possible.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #565 on: April 07, 2018, 07:50:56 pm »
Ok, I know I dropped a $20 meter for an example,but the fluke 289 works the same way. The receiving IR and PCB/Chip is not connected to the main DMM PCB at all, in fact it’s powered by the 5VDC from the USB port. So forgive me if I wrong, but I still don’t see how that would be possible.

Because the SD card does not have onboard power like a USB port, and so the SD card driver has to be powered by the meter's internal circuitry, which means there is an electrical path between the terminals of the meter and the SD card.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #566 on: April 08, 2018, 01:38:59 am »

Because the SD card does not have onboard power like a USB port, and so the SD card driver has to be powered by the meter's internal circuitry, which means there is an electrical path between the terminals of the meter and the SD card.

Ok, apparently I missed the point. I thought we were talking about transferring data on the SD off the meter   different ways?
I’m over it.

Offline imk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #567 on: April 08, 2018, 05:34:03 pm »
121GW battery life vs battery type.
As far as the 500 hr battery life claim is this for alkaline or NiCad and what mah rating
My camera packs up much earlier on nicad than on fresh alkaline as the static voltage is lower for NiCad's
Any 121GW test data for various battery chemistry yet?
1201 Alarm

Offline maukka

• Supporter
« Reply #568 on: April 09, 2018, 08:56:11 am »
You should not be using a multimeter like this for your appliances, just but a cheap Kill-A-Watt unit that measures proper W and VA power.
Most utilities will charge in W, not VA for residential customers, but that varies depending upon the country and utility company.
I did not think the Killawatt could read very low power levels. 
But a good (for a cheap) power meter like the Zhurui PR10 will do fine down to 5mA at 230V. Takes 0.1 watts to display power though.

HKJ's test http://lygte-info.dk/review/Power%20Zhurui%20Power%20Recorder%20PR10%20UK.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:58:49 am by maukka »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #569 on: April 09, 2018, 11:25:39 am »
As far as the 500 hr battery life claim is this for alkaline or NiCad and what mah rating
My camera packs up much earlier on nicad than on fresh alkaline as the static voltage is lower for NiCad's

4.2V dropout voltage, approx 5mA consumption, you can do the math with whatever chemistry.
The spec is Alkaline.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #570 on: April 09, 2018, 11:29:08 am »
Is this 500 hours of battery life while actively logging to an SD card and broadcasting serial Bluetooth signals?

No, logging is lower, but don't have accurate specs for that. SD drops it to a few hundred hours IIRC. Have not tested Bluetooth, but it's BLE at a low sample rate so shouldn't take much.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #571 on: April 10, 2018, 02:31:31 am »
would be nice to pop in something like this gadget :  http://www.icstation.com/dual-card-adapter-shield-micro-card-dual-system-switch-converter-raspberry-b2b3b-p-10868.html

or an flexible sd card extender ???, but you have to slot the casing either way ...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:54:52 am by coromonadalix »

Offline imk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #572 on: April 10, 2018, 07:16:32 am »
Is this 500 hours of battery life while actively logging to an SD card and broadcasting serial Bluetooth signals?

No, logging is lower, but don't have accurate specs for that. SD drops it to a few hundred hours IIRC. Have not tested Bluetooth, but it's BLE at a low sample rate so shouldn't take much.

Either way this 121GW is way ahead of anything else i have found, the PeakTech 3440 only does 7hr on batteries when logging so not a solution at all.
121GW is definitely going to get best meter of the year award :-)
1201 Alarm

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #573 on: April 10, 2018, 08:49:48 am »
Getting ready to print the shipping labels is my guess.

Offline imk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #574 on: April 10, 2018, 09:02:17 am »

4.2V dropout voltage, approx 5mA consumption, you can do the math with whatever chemistry.
The spec is Alkaline.

Well quick math looks like a 2400 mah AA NiCd down to 10% charge will still run the 121GW, so still in the region of 500 hr run time.
3200 mah Ni-MH would real push the envelope, think two sets of these would be why for me to go :-)

No mention of a supply date yet, so makes me wonder if not some under the covers magic being worked out  8)
1201 Alarm

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf