Author Topic: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread  (Read 776629 times)

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
Re: EEVBlog 121GW Discussion thread
« Reply #725 on: May 17, 2018, 08:03:40 pm »
I'm a Great Scott backer (#260) and just received a e-mail with a tracking number.  W00t!   Tracking shows that it is shipping from Indianapolis

Also got mine, number 269, with the same details.
I received my tracking number today, backer 274 in the US. It say expected deliver Friday, but today is Thursday and the label still states it is only printed I have my doubts for a Friday delivery. Since FedEx doesn’t work on weekends I might see this Monday or Tuesday of next week. Seems that US Kane shipment are going in order of the backing numbers.
Scott
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline benst

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #726 on: May 17, 2018, 08:13:23 pm »
I got the replacement knob & shim and installed them just now. What a difference, feels much better, no more wiggling, and as far as I can tell the wonky display problems are gone.  :-DMM  :-+

Ben
I hack for work and pleasure.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline jordanp123

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #727 on: May 17, 2018, 10:33:50 pm »
Got my meter in today (USA), arrived in perfect working order.

The following users thanked this post: ELzekio

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #728 on: May 18, 2018, 07:58:57 am »
Received the knob and the shim. It fits indeed. But knob is pretty if not super tight now and requires some force to turn, one hand turn with the stand unfolded is no way possible anymore. ::) Indeed no more display/power on issues anymore. I hope for you all and especially the newly shipped ones all is fine and smooth.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #729 on: May 18, 2018, 10:35:32 am »
I received my tracking number today, backer 274 in the US. It say expected deliver Friday, but today is Thursday and the label still states it is only printed I have my doubts for a Friday delivery. Since FedEx doesn’t work on weekends I might see this Monday or Tuesday of next week. Seems that US Kane shipment are going in order of the backing numbers.
Scott

They must be shipping these meters overnight express. So I received the label tracking email yesterday at 9am EDT, then it was picked up by FedEx at 4pm EDT and didn’t get to FedEx until 9pm. I figured being picked up at the end of the day Thursday their is no way it will make it by Friday. To my surprise it went back out at 1am, was in the Ohio central main hub at 3:30am, went back out and made it to the Columbus Distribution center at 4:39am and was on the truck out for delivery at 4:45am.
That’s some major hustling, I know it’s only from Indiana to Ohio, but I’ve never seen FedEx move this fast unless it’s overnight shipping. Well it looks like I might get it in time for the weekend to play with.

So did Kane decide to overnight them to try and make up some time on having to hold them and fix the PCB manufacturing mistake?
Scott
Please be sure to check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like the videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/GadgetReviewVideos

By people subscribing and giving thumbs up I know what I am doing is still wanted and adding value, then will continue to release new videos. Thank you for your support.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #730 on: May 18, 2018, 02:45:20 pm »
So did Kane decide to overnight them to try and make up some time on having to hold them and fix the PCB manufacturing mistake?

No. FedEx Ground. Mine is in the middle of a long road journey and won't arrive until next week.

Offline tcottle

• Contributor
« Reply #731 on: May 18, 2018, 03:17:06 pm »
Confirming shipment is FedEx Ground.  The meter has left Indy and on its way to Colorado.  Scheduled delivery on Tuesday  :-+

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #732 on: May 18, 2018, 03:17:54 pm »
Indiana to Maryland shipped on Thursday isn't expected to arrive until Monday, definitely ground service, but when you're close enough to the shipper the times can be pretty quick, even if they aren't always.

Offline prof

• Contributor
« Reply #733 on: May 18, 2018, 03:44:15 pm »
Having my 121GW since many months now. The issue with the range switch is getting worse. Anxiously awaiting the new range switch and shim. So far no news in my email or normal postal inbox. Any people in Europe received the new range switch and shim? I noticed some German 121GW users on this thread?

Yes, see quite a few posts ago on this thread.

Offline Photoman

• Regular Contributor
    • PrePress Express
« Reply #734 on: May 18, 2018, 05:44:44 pm »
Received my meter today, FedEx ground from IN!

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #735 on: May 18, 2018, 09:42:25 pm »
Got mine today. Just FYI, this meter has the same issue with right angle Probemaster leads that Fluke meters do - the black lead (though it may vary by batch) of my micro-tip leads doesn't quite fit, though I can get it in further than my Fluke 87. AFAIK only the right angle banana plug models do this, the straight ones are fine.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #736 on: May 19, 2018, 04:03:47 am »

No. FedEx Ground. Mine is in the middle of a long road journey and won't arrive until next week.
Thanks, I was able to confirm ground when I tripped over the box today arround 2pm.
Took my who day plans out of wack now. I just had to open it.
Scott

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #737 on: May 19, 2018, 05:13:29 am »
Got mine today. Just FYI, this meter has the same issue with right angle Probemaster leads that Fluke meters do - the black lead (though it may vary by batch) of my micro-tip leads doesn't quite fit, though I can get it in further than my Fluke 87. AFAIK only the right angle banana plug models do this, the straight ones are fine.

My 121GW arrived on Thursday via FedEx.

I have tried three different sets of right angle Probemaster probes with no problem.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #738 on: May 19, 2018, 05:46:33 am »

My 121GW arrived on Thursday via FedEx.

I have tried three different sets of right angle Probemaster probes with no problem.
I use the probemasters with the retractable shrouding and don’t have any issues with any of the meters including the 121GW or my Fluke. It also makes it good to be able and use the probes on power supplies in a pinch when you need one more cable since it retracts and they are two years old.

I do have an issue with the new Brymen black probe that came with the 121GW. It’s way to tight in all my meters, but the BM235 probes are ok, and so was the red one. I think it’s a faulty probe and just need to be replaced.

I would check you batteries, mine were shoved in fast and the negative springs were bent on 3 out of 4 of the batteries. You can remove the battery, bend the spring downwards with a little pressure and put the battery back. Hopefully over some time the spring with restore and retain it intended position.

Offline emece67

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #739 on: May 19, 2018, 08:46:44 am »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 01:50:00 pm by emece67 »

Offline Candid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #740 on: May 19, 2018, 09:03:26 am »
I too don't have any problems with my probemaster right angle probes on my Fluke, 121GW and any other meter.

I had the same problem with the bended springs and the contacts falling out of the case of the battery compoundment. But this can be corrected. The springs I think are to long and the fastening hooks of the contacts are to soft so that they do not hold well in the compound over time after the batteries are in again. Just keep an eye on it when opening the compound.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #741 on: May 19, 2018, 10:28:16 am »
I too don't have any problems with my probemaster right angle probes on my Fluke, 121GW and any other meter.

I had the same problem with the bended springs and the contacts falling out of the case of the battery compoundment. But this can be corrected. The springs I think are to long and the fastening hooks of the contacts are to soft so that they do not hold well in the compound over time after the batteries are in again. Just keep an eye on it when opening the compound.
Yes, I agree. The springs are to long and to soft. If you look at it closely it’s a cheap 4AA battery box they just out into the back of the meter molding. It’s nkt even part of the original molding. I guess this was a cheaper way to go then making the battery box part of the molding?
Scott

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #742 on: May 19, 2018, 02:36:36 pm »
Took my who day plans out of wack now. I just had to open it.
Scott

You're just making excuses...

No, wait ...

Yeah I'd do that too.   :-[
You're good   :-+

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #743 on: May 19, 2018, 03:27:33 pm »
Yes, I agree. The springs are too long and too soft.

I had noticed this - one of my springs is bent over double.  I was thinking about trimming them down to about 2/3rd of their present length.

Offline prof

• Contributor
« Reply #744 on: May 19, 2018, 03:38:05 pm »
I would check you batteries, mine were shoved in fast and the negative springs were bent on 3 out of 4 of the batteries. You can remove the battery, bend the spring downwards with a little pressure and put the battery back. Hopefully over some time the spring with restore and retain it intended position.

Same here but I'm not to worried about the springies. I think the compartment is too tight for the chosen springs which is why they tend to bend.

Offline Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #745 on: May 20, 2018, 01:38:18 pm »
new video from Gadget Review Videos

https://youtu.be/50M4nMMvopU

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #746 on: May 20, 2018, 07:21:11 pm »
Hi all,

I arrived really late to this, so I've missed many things and, although I have read the whole thread, I still have doubts about how to get one of this meters. As I understand, the EU distributor is Welectron but, must I contact them for and order or wait instead for the next (if any) kickstarter campaign? Will there be more kickstarter campaigns at all?

Thanks & regards.

The supply of  the 121GW is currently constrained and the pre-orders need to be fulfilled first. I'm sure that they will at least show up in the EEVblog Store when stock is available. Maybe available on Amazon in some countries as well.

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #747 on: May 20, 2018, 08:31:44 pm »
new video from Gadget Review Videos
Jon, thanks for the post.
I just want to be clear this is not a review as stated in the description and text in red at the beginning of the video. This was far from planned, just a fast edit to break the monotony from the other videos I’ve been working on. It’s just a quick unboxing and initial thoughts. I mention this because of all the dislikes. If your waiting for a review then please wait a few more weeks, or maybe longer depending on different factors with life in general taking up my time.
My policy has always been to use the product for at least 2 to 4 weeks before doing my review. I do this so I know the product I’m reviewing and try not to miss anything, and this way I also know that I trust and like the product I’m reviewing. I’ve only done one video amendment from missing a bug on the original review to date.

I realize when my videos get posted on other sites and that not all the viewers know me, or know my style of doing things. I’ll try to explain this for new people that have not seen my videos in the past. I’ve debated on starting my own thread on EEVBlog like Joe Smith and his great videos and thread support. I just don’t have the time to answer questions or follow a thread like he does. I do try to answer all comments on the YouTube video, so if you have any questions or constructive feedback leave a comment. I try to help others the best I can and when I can.

My lab is my hobby that I’ve built up over time, although sometimes mistaken for a professional lab or repair shop I have never claimed to be a EE or do repairs for money. I try to keep my reviews to just the facts, my opinion, and personal experiance using the product to help people decide if it’s something that will fit their needs and something they would want to buy.
My logic in what I review is simple, if it’s not something I would use or recommend/buy for family member or a friend then I don’t review it.
I try to stay away from negative reviews.  A negative review based on a software bug that can be fixed with a firmware update in the future can hurt the company, even once the issue is corrected. And since videos on YouTube stay around forever this could still affect the company after the issue is fixed. I might release a video that might seem like a negative review, but it’s more of a public service announcement that probably concerns the safety of a person or a video showing a bug so it can be fixed. Once and if it’s fixed at a later date then I will delete the video, or change the title from a “PSA” to “Recalled Safety” and update the video description.

Reviews, testing, video recordings, editing videos all take time and I can’t always do a professional video.  I’m a one man shop that does videos as a second hobby and I’m currently juggling three other review edits.
Amazon and other links in the videos description are for the viewers convenience to find the product. These are not affiliate links and I don’t get paid for them. I removed all ads from my videos despite meeting YouTube’s minimum requirements for monetization. I don’t ask for donations or use patreon. This YouTube channel and the items I review, cameras, microphone equipment, video editing software is 97% paid by me despite being on a limited budget. A few items are occasionally donated and they have to agree to mt strict terms. If the item is donated I will mention this in the video. I try not to accept free items since it makes the review look biased and paid for.
I have tested pre-production products also, but I dint do videos until the product is officially released. I do this to give feedback and help find bugs. Sometimes I don’t release the review until a new firmware fix is released. This helps make products better for the consumer when it’s released. A few pre-production items I’ve tested have also included a product review. Most pre-production units don’t get reviewed since this is not the reason they contacted me.
Free items I’m offered (more then you may realize) are usually ignored with a few exceptions. If I think its something people want to see reviewed and they agree to my terms in advance like “Having NO say over the final review” then I might make an exception. If they don’t agree, then I will not  accept the product. If they still ship it without agreeing to my terms then I assume by default they agree to an open and honest review. Just because it was shipped to me does not guarantee a product review.
Thanks,
Scott
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:34:03 pm by Scottjd »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #748 on: May 20, 2018, 08:43:25 pm »
I mention this because of all the dislikes.

I'm not sure why there would be so many dislikes. I watched the video and it seemed fine. Some people just like to hate I guess.

You did point out a few issues from your inspection, and maybe that upset people who wanted the meter to be perfect. But that's not your fault, and no reason to dislike the video.

I notice you didn't open the battery cover and look at the battery springs. How did they look, in terms of fit and finish?

Offline Scottjd

• Frequent Contributor
    • YouTube Gadget Reveiws
« Reply #749 on: May 20, 2018, 09:22:33 pm »
I mention this because of all the dislikes.

I'm not sure why there would be so many dislikes. I watched the video and it seemed fine. Some people just like to hate I guess.

You did point out a few issues from your inspection, and maybe that upset people who wanted the meter to be perfect. But that's not your fault, and no reason to dislike the video.

I notice you didn't open the battery cover and look at the battery springs. How did they look, in terms of fit and finish?
I actually mentioned this in a different thread I think? The springs were folded over and pinched so I did recommend on a post to look at the new meters batteries and try to bend the springs down and put them back into alignment.  I know everything is going modular these days but it looks like the back battery molding was separate from the battery case, as if the battery case was a module that was just put into square placeholder on the back molding.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf