Author Topic: EEVblog Impersonation SCAM!  (Read 12930 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog Impersonation SCAM!
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2020, 05:23:22 pm »
I used to easily track down certain scumbags, and my 1st port of call was the particular
server/host/admin with the details. Unfortunately, 99% of them couldn't give a shit, and
NEVER respond!  So NOW, be-it illegal or not, I will just utterly BOMB them with 500,000
responses from an untraceable source/software. Illegal?????  PPHHTT!!!! Fuck them!!!

Even major Banking Scammers etc etc... I would report the 'underlying' scums 'details' down
to specific 'individuals' from a particular 'university' Server, but NO-ONE EVER replied to me,
even when reporting to various highest level system administrators/companies etc...   |O

Until somebody "important" gets hit by a scammer, it will not receive any priority whatsoever from the "official world". 

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2020, 06:28:01 pm »
I'm curious. What kind of information constitutes being tagged and treated as "confidential", but is nevertheless OK to send by email to a guy with a Youtube channel just because "he" asks for it out of the blue?

realistically unless its considered a military/state secret, its at the discretion of sales guys. There might be company bi-laws but they can probably be violated without repercussion if it looks like it will make business relationships. No actual engineer wants secrets because its always better to have analysis and technological developments, when you share information you get applications information and possibly design improvements. The more people know about something the more likely it is to be developed and more creativity is applied to a problem. If you get a creative sales application from someone, you can probably sell more product since the person that made the NDA has capital costs down.Or R&D costs go down when someone makes an improvement. It's like having another engineer on your team for FREE when there is no secret.

On the other hand, letting people know exact missile range or radar cross sections is a bad thing.

It would make sense to let Dave Jones know about a NDA because he is good at applications, is an active product developer (i.e. he sells test equipment he designed).. its not like he has a chip fab ready to pump silicon.. more like you might get some sales with parts inside of a gadget he designed. It might make a gadget sale possible if anything. Say you have a new isolation amplifier that he might make a ver 2.0 of the isolation probe with improved specifications. It's esoteric technicians tools...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 06:40:10 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2020, 06:53:48 pm »
Do the police or other authorities in Australia actually do anything about these kinds of crimes?  Even if the evidence is served on a silver platter?

When it involves someone overseas on the internet, nah. It would be a job for the Illinois police.

could even be a FBI crime, possibly. Say it has ties to chinese industrial espionage..

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2020, 10:08:27 pm »

Do the police or other authorities in Australia actually do anything about these kinds of crimes?  Even if the evidence is served on a silver platter?

Generally no. The time and effort involved would outweigh the end result. It's really not that important. Perhaps if it was more serious or there was significant loss to a company, then maybe.

Coordinating between international law enforcement agencies isn't a simple task and is generally reserved for serious matters.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2020, 11:17:35 pm »
In my opinion, the proper response here is to let the swindled company know exactly who swindled them, and let them decide if they care.

If someone does it twice (I mean as in at least two separate scams where they impersonate you), then outing them publicly is warranted, IMO.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 11:19:15 pm by Nominal Animal »

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2020, 11:54:34 pm »

When it involves someone overseas on the internet, nah. It would be a job for the Illinois police.

Gammel, you’re busted  :D

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2020, 12:33:53 am »
So NOW, be-it illegal or not, I will just utterly BOMB them with 500,000
responses from an untraceable source/software. Illegal?????  PPHHTT!!!! Fuck them!!!

Your victim might not have even have noticed such a obvious retaliation, unless they looked in their spam folder. Gmail hosts are actually GOOD at detecting and removing spam mail from view. That's actually the number one reason I use it myself. The number two reason is that it's an email address it isn't going away almost overnight if I have to move to a different ISP (learned that one the hard way, sadly).

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2020, 01:41:27 am »
So NOW, be-it illegal or not, I will just utterly BOMB them with 500,000

Your victim might not have even have noticed such a obvious retaliation, unless they looked in their spam folder. Gmail hosts are actually GOOD at detecting and removing spam mail from view. That's actually the number one reason I use it myself. The number two reason is that it's an email address it isn't going away almost overnight if I have to move to a different ISP (learned that one the hard way, sadly).

Email bombers are nasty (look up list linking). They can spam you with anything and everything, they find anywhere they can input an email and sign you up. Even if Google filtered 90% of it, your email would still be destroyed.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2020, 04:18:34 am »
Using spam to retaliate is a bad weapon, because it helps the spammers.

The help spammers actually need, in my opinion, is a bullet to the head.  Don't be a spammer.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2020, 05:22:21 am »

It sounds like a job for this mob.   :wtf:
When it comes to liar pants on fire nobody can surpass the questionable methods and antics employed by Metro State. Also, check out the other videos on Real World Police, the comments sections are just hilarious. A warning, the video linked below contains strong language and disturbing behaviour. 

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2020, 08:11:48 am »
Does anyone know of any solution for securely signing emails automatically from within gmail?
(No, I'm not going to ditch gmail and use PGP or some other email client)

Even if you send mails from your own domain @eevblog.com, where you could set provisions like SPF, DKIM, DMARC which essentially announce to the world of mail servers (at least those that care to check) that the only legit mails from Dave are sent from some specific email servers, it would still not cover phishing attempts like this one where the recipient doesn't know (and has no wish to spend time to verify) whether an email from some Dave Jones @gmail/@yahoo/@hotmail is from the trusted person they know.
And this situation is further aggravated by some email clients (especially those popular in the corporate world...)  that try to be 'user friendly' and hide the full email address.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2020, 08:37:41 am »
it would still not cover phishing attempts like this one where the recipient doesn't know (and has no wish to spend time to verify) whether an email from some Dave Jones @gmail/@yahoo/@hotmail is from the trusted person they know.
Currently anyone can create "misspelled" e-mail accounts like eevblog.business@gmail.com, eevblog_business@gmail.com, eevblog-business@gmail.com and so on - to trick even those who knows. I would miss to notice "+" versus "." difference, however it is much harder to mistake @google.com with @eevblog.com.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2020, 10:07:41 am »
it would still not cover phishing attempts like this one where the recipient doesn't know (and has no wish to spend time to verify) whether an email from some Dave Jones @gmail/@yahoo/@hotmail is from the trusted person they know.
Currently anyone can create "misspelled" e-mail accounts like eevblog.business@gmail.com, eevblog_business@gmail.com, eevblog-business@gmail.com and so on - to trick even those who knows. I would miss to notice "+" versus "." difference, however it is much harder to mistake @google.com with @eevblog.com.

When you send an email to eevblog@gmail.com or eevblog+business@gmail.com etc then you get a reply from dave@eevblog.com, I almost never send email from eevblog@gmail.com.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2020, 10:16:48 am »

When you send an email to eevblog@gmail.com or eevblog+business@gmail.com etc then you get a reply from dave@eevblog.com, I almost never send email from eevblog@gmail.com.

Are you sure every business partner knows that and are careful enough to suspect something fishy when he receives email from business.eevblog@gmail.com? How about misspelling like this: eevbIog@gmail.com ? What I am telling here: @gmail.com for business is not that good idea and it does not look reputable move as well.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:19:39 am by ogden »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2020, 10:23:22 am »
Are you sure every business partner knows that and are careful enough to suspect something fishy when he receives email from business.eevblog@gmail.com? How about misspelling like this: eevbIog@gmail.com ? What I am telling here: @gmail.com for business is not that good idea and it does not look reputable move as well.

It's essentially not my problem, it's their problem. One issue in over a decade is not cause to notify countless companies about.
As I said, I do NOT send business email from @gmail.com, it comes from @eevblog.com

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2020, 10:48:35 am »
It's essentially not my problem, it's their problem. One issue in over a decade is not cause to notify countless companies about.
As I said, I do NOT send business email from @gmail.com, it comes from @eevblog.com

It is not only about issues. It is about looking cheap with google mailbox. Potential business partners who look your contacts page do not see big disclaimer "I write emails only from dave@eevblog.com, yet by business mailbox is my @gmail.com account. Be careful if you receive e-mails coming seemingly from my business account". That is brain**ck - send email to one address and expect reply from another e-mail domain(!). Whatever. It is face & security of your business, not mine. Peace.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:50:40 am by ogden »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2020, 06:10:36 pm »

Didn‘t I just read in some other thread here, about someone’s difficulties registering or logging in on the forum, that they received an email from “eevblog.official@gmail.com”? Was that a fake?

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2020, 06:18:52 pm »

Didn‘t I just read in some other thread here, about someone’s difficulties registering or logging in on the forum, that they received an email from “eevblog.official@gmail.com”? Was that a fake?
This post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/so-my-eevblog-store-order-is-apparently-lost-in-transit-how-do-i-contact-dave/msg1603756/#msg1603756

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2020, 07:06:36 pm »
No, actually I was referring to this one:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/forum-registration-issues/

And this page gives plenty of official @gmail.com addresses for Dave and EEVblog:
https://www.eevblog.com/about/contact/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:08:35 pm by ebastler »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2020, 11:34:38 pm »
And this page gives plenty of official @gmail.com addresses for Dave and EEVblog:
https://www.eevblog.com/about/contact/

Again, and for the last time, that's for sending email to me.
When you get a reply it will come from @eevblog.com

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2020, 11:38:55 pm »

It is not only about issues. It is about looking cheap with google mailbox. Potential business partners who look your contacts page do not see big disclaimer "I write emails only from dave@eevblog.com, yet by business mailbox is my @gmail.com account. Be careful if you receive e-mails coming seemingly from my business account". That is brain**ck - send email to one address and expect reply from another e-mail domain(!). Whatever. It is face & security of your business, not mine. Peace.

You summed it up nicely, "whatever".
Care factor zero about "looking cheap".

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2020, 11:48:44 pm »
For the last time: if you would use (as every other business) your domain @eevblog.com for *all* mailboxes, this thread would not even exist. Happily for you this incident was not about your documents, goods or money going wrong way. Next time could be different. Just saying.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 11:56:38 pm by ogden »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2020, 12:00:32 am »

In the olden days, they used to put criminals' heads on spikes along the Tower Bridge in London, to discourage crime...
It unfortunately didn't work for shit.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2020, 12:20:07 am »

In the olden days, they used to put criminals' heads on spikes along the Tower Bridge in London, to discourage crime...
It unfortunately didn't work for shit.

Absolutely true, but it just feeeeels soooo gooood!!   :-DD

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2020, 04:19:36 am »
For the last time: if you would use (as every other business) your domain @eevblog.com for *all* mailboxes, this thread would not even exist.

Rubbish.
The company in question have never had an email from @gmail.com from me. I doubt they even know I have a gmail address.
They just didn't verify the email address, they would have fallen for it anyway regardless of whether it was @gmail @hotmail or a fake @eevbl0g.com
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:21:54 am by EEVblog »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf