Author Topic: Sniffing the Rigol's internal I2C bus  (Read 1839207 times)

Offline m-joy

• Contributor
Re: Sniffing the Rigol's internal I2C bus
« Reply #1925 on: December 13, 2013, 08:13:48 am »
Huhu, where can i download the latest firmware for my DS2072?

Greets

Offline Marc M.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1926 on: December 13, 2013, 08:44:59 am »
...where can i download the latest firmware for my DS2072?
It may have been posted somewhere earlier in the thread but this is where I downloaded it from.  See post# 1842.
...Just download the official firmware 00.02.01.00.03 uploaded here instead.
Then un-rar DS2000Update.GEL and load it.
After updating apply a key generated with DSAR DSHH to enable all options.
Be aware that so far I haven't been able to downgrade back to .02 from this version.  Refer to my post above regarding the issue.

Success!  Updated the post.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:03:36 am by Marc M. »
Don't replace the cap, just empty the filter!

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1927 on: December 13, 2013, 09:40:54 am »
Be aware that so far I haven't been able to downgrade back to .02 from this version.  Refer to my post above regarding the issue.

As mentioned a few times earlier in this thread (and at the DS2000 Review thread), I (and others) have upgraded and downgraded between the versions several times - always by bootloading, and always taking care to clear the FRAM when next booting.

Offline Tasman

• Contributor
« Reply #1928 on: December 13, 2013, 09:42:30 am »
Do I need to uninstall my previously applied options before upgrading to the new firmware and applying the DSHH generated key?

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1929 on: December 13, 2013, 09:59:33 am »
Do I need to uninstall my previously applied options before upgrading to the new firmware and applying the DSHH generated key?
I didn't, although I have an official key for the normal options; I just used cybernets DSEA for CAN decode.
So I don't think it's necessary to uninstall and reinstall all (since I don't think the FW can distinguish between official and "non-official" key codes) unless you want to do it that way.

But, more importantly: Rigol has changed the the structure of unit settings stored in FRAM, so if you upgrade/downgrade between the major versions (v.01.XX.XX.XX to v.02.XX.XX.XX - or vice-versa), it's highly recommended to hold in the left-menu F6 button (sixth gray button down on left side of LCD) during the first reboot after loading (to clear FRAM) - otherwise the DSO will hang (often) when switching between various menu items.

Offline m-joy

• Contributor
« Reply #1930 on: December 13, 2013, 10:10:35 am »

why would i downgrade....? Is 02 better than .03 ? In this case i could directly update to 02 and not to 03....?

Offline Tasman

• Contributor
« Reply #1931 on: December 13, 2013, 10:22:53 am »
But, more importantly: Rigol has changed the the structure of unit settings stored in FRAM, so if you upgrade/downgrade between the major versions (v.01.XX.XX.XX to v.02.XX.XX.XX - or vice-versa), it's highly recommended to hold in the left-menu F6 button (sixth gray button down on left side of LCD) during the first reboot after loading (to clear FRAM) - otherwise the DSO will hang (often) when switching between various menu items.

Many thanks Marmad; I was wondering about that after seeing it in an earlier post, but didn't get around to investigating further.  You have no doubt saved me from a lot of frustration.

Offline fcab100

« Reply #1932 on: December 13, 2013, 11:14:08 am »
I was messing with the jumpers on my ds2072 hw2 look what i got. Its late need sleep  :=\

Offline eV1Te

• Regular Contributor
  • Your trusted friend in science!
    • richardandersson.net
« Reply #1933 on: December 13, 2013, 11:24:24 am »
I was messing with the jumpers on my ds2072 hw2 look what i got. Its late need sleep  :=\

Nice find!  :-+
To bad you don't have the hardware for the signal gen though.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1934 on: December 13, 2013, 11:39:05 am »

I wonder what it takes, we really need someone with the S model to have a look  :-/O
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Maalobs

• Contributor
« Reply #1935 on: December 13, 2013, 12:00:05 pm »
I didn't, although I have an official key for the normal options; I just used cybernets DSEA for CAN decode.
So I don't think it's necessary to uninstall and reinstall all (since I don't think the FW can distinguish between official and "non-official" key codes) unless you want to do it that way.

Thanks for the very clear summary.  :-+
Didn't you add the 300M option, though?
Why not, in that case?

Offline creyc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1936 on: December 13, 2013, 12:27:45 pm »

I wonder what it takes, we really need someone with the S model to have a look  :-/O

I've got a DS1074Z-S..

Offline NikWing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1937 on: December 13, 2013, 03:43:11 pm »
I wonder why you want to got back to the original state for RMA ...

what I mean is, what if the PSU has a problem, you can't switch it on then
or something similar, as in loose cooler clips that might shor-circuit something ...

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1938 on: December 13, 2013, 04:18:53 pm »
Thanks for the very clear summary.  :-+
Didn't you add the 300M option, though?
Why not, in that case?

Happy to help. I haven't installed the 300MHz option yet because:

1) I don't really need the extra bandwidth at this time - although maybe later, in which case I would try it.
2) I'm not 100% sure that HW v.1 fully supports it. Remember, Rigol didn't start offering a 300MHz model until they had developed HW v.2. OTOH, the CAN option is all software.
3) Remember, it's a 2GSa/s scope. The DSO only does sin(x)/x interpolation at 1G & 2GSa/s - everything below that (<= 500MSa/s) uses linear interpolation - which really requires a sample rate >= 8x the highest frequency for a decent reconstruction. SO throwing 300MHz at the DSO, especially at slower sample rates is pushing the envelope. In actual fact, for best reconstruction (and lowest noise), you really should keep the 100MHz bandwidth filter on if you're fairly certain you don't have higher frequencies.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:21:40 pm by marmad »

Offline jkw13

• Contributor
« Reply #1939 on: December 13, 2013, 04:34:11 pm »
The DP832 downgrade/upgrade for me has made the output meters read wrongly and the
options are lost when going back to v1.08, they're there in v1.06.
Can not change this by re-calibrating (unless I'm doing it in the wrong order?)
Can anyone help? Bricked?
This is the latest model with large heatsink.
Please :-BROKE
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:14:34 pm by jkw13 »

Offline Git

• Contributor
  • Very old engineer with over 4 decades in design.
« Reply #1940 on: December 13, 2013, 04:35:05 pm »
All the tests were done on a DS1074Z with Ver:00.02.00.SP1.

What about the ECC private key, has it changed for Ver:00.02.00.SP1 ?>
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:38:21 pm by Git »

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1941 on: December 13, 2013, 04:48:56 pm »
Edit: I have measurement history now. ;D And i think the region (gated) measuring mode is also new. They are in the 2nd page of the measure menu. Is that the unknown option?
The unknown option is not the measuring history and region measuring. I removed the options and still have them.

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1942 on: December 13, 2013, 05:04:02 pm »
Happy to help. I haven't installed the 300MHz option yet because:

1) I don't really need the extra bandwidth at this time - although maybe later, in which case I would try it.
2) I'm not 100% sure that HW v.1 fully supports it. Remember, Rigol didn't start offering a 300MHz model until they had developed HW v.2. OTOH, the CAN option is all software.
3) Remember, it's a 2GSa/s scope. The DSO only does sin(x)/x interpolation at 1G & 2GSa/s - everything below that (<= 500MSa/s) uses linear interpolation - which really requires a sample rate >= 8x the highest frequency for a decent reconstruction. SO throwing 300MHz at the DSO, especially at slower sample rates is pushing the envelope. In actual fact, for best reconstruction (and lowest noise), you really should keep the 100MHz bandwidth filter on if you're fairly certain you don't have higher frequencies.

Well, if Rigol allow 200 MHz BW limit when the option 300MHz is installed, to me it would seem right.

100MHz limit gives you a -3dB BW of ~130MHz
200MHz limit gives you a -3dB BW of ~185MHz

...so only a ~55MHz difference between the settings.

Yes, not much difference, but adding this option (200MHz BW limit) may be practical, adds another feature and no has HW cost.
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1943 on: December 13, 2013, 05:26:00 pm »
Well, if Rigol allow 200 MHz BW limit when the option 300MHz is installed, to me it would seem right.

Well, the only way we'll know for sure, unless some owner(s) do a battery of exhaustive tests, is if Rigol starts selling 300MHz BW as an option to HW v.1 owners.

Yes, not much difference, but adding this option (200MHz BW limit) may be practical, adds another feature and no has HW cost.

True, yet still, it's not an included feature for DS2302A buyers (see the manual).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:28:10 pm by marmad »

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1944 on: December 13, 2013, 05:54:39 pm »
Well, the only way we'll know for sure, unless some owner(s) do a battery of exhaustive tests, is if Rigol starts selling 300MHz BW as an option to HW v.1 owners.
How of exhaustive?
Someone volunteers to do the test?

True, yet still, it's not an included feature for DS2302A buyers (see the manual).
Yes, I know. But maybe they add it in the future.
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #1945 on: December 13, 2013, 06:08:22 pm »
 I tried to install this CAN decode option to my DS2202 with FW 02 by entering the code (LLL..) to option install menu. It did not work. Have I missed something or does it not work with DS2202?

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #1946 on: December 13, 2013, 07:30:45 pm »
I tried again. Code LLLLLLL-RLGLLDS-DSEALLL-LLLLLLL gives message: "Option is unavailable".

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1947 on: December 13, 2013, 08:00:06 pm »
I tried again. Code LLLLLLL-RLGLLDS-DSEALLL-LLLLLLL gives message: "Option is unavailable".
That code doesn't look right.

You need to generate a code using DSEA as option and your serial# here: http://riglol.3owl.com

I tried generating a key using DSA1234567890 as serial# and DSEA as option.
The generated code looks like this: RDJ9JBB-N3SWWUS-R3XENY5-A2Y3A9S
Notice D, S, E and A are not located next to each other.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #1948 on: December 13, 2013, 08:02:47 pm »

Yes, as AndersAnd wrote, I used my serial number and the code DSEA in the Riglol key generator to generate a CAN license key. I don't believe those old keys are valid in the newest firmware.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:04:36 pm by marmad »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #1949 on: December 13, 2013, 08:26:28 pm »
Thanks AndersAnd and marmad! I guessed that I had missed something. I have not read all in this tread because I have the other options.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf