Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 489392 times)

GingGangGooly, HKJ and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #1850 on: August 08, 2021, 02:18:44 pm »
Hi HKJ,

Using Ver 1.76 I notice some odd behavior with Readout popups set to look at Math items.  Specifically, the values in the readout do not match the values in the log record (Table or Chart).  For example, I have a Math item defined as:

Name:  Delta.Time
   Enabled:  Yes
   Unit: mSec
   Type: Change
   Samples: 2
   Source formula: time*1000

If you look at the attached screen shot it shows Test Controller Range tab with the Readout superimposed while logging with 0.03 sec interval.  The Range tab shows a clear average at 30 mSec with a range of 17 to 50 mSec.  But the readout shows numbers around 200 mSec which is completely different.

A second problem I noticed is that if I use the logging interval set to 1 sec the readout popup of Math Delta.Time alternates between showing 0.000 and numbers around 1000 mSec.

Do Readout popups not work with Math items or is this a bug?

Offline evalent

« Reply #1851 on: August 08, 2021, 02:42:51 pm »
Hello.
first of all, thank you this software and efforts.

I am a newbie here. I've got an Atorch DL42P, but cannot connect to it. Using the current TestController version, from Linux os, tried to connect both via Bluetoot or wires.
/dev/ttyUSB0 (as a ch341-uart device) comes up
I set DL24 or DL24P device as /dev/ttyUSB0, and the result of 'reconnect' is:

;; Start thread for: ttyUSB0
;; ttyUSB0: Set params: 9600
;; ttyUSB0: Tx: <*IDN?.> 2A 49 44 4E 3F 0A
;; ttyUSB0: Rx: timeout
;; Stopping thread for: ttyUSB0
;; ttyUSB0: Close

I tried to connect during pushin' any button, of a mesurement cycle, but no success. Tried to search this forum, but could not find similar issues.
Please help, what do I miss?

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1852 on: August 08, 2021, 03:05:50 pm »

They are supposed to work, but only the "Current values" are synchronized to the table, i.e. readout uses their own instance to do the calculations.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1853 on: August 08, 2021, 03:09:11 pm »
I set DL24 or DL24P device as /dev/ttyUSB0, and the result of 'reconnect' is:

;; Start thread for: ttyUSB0
;; ttyUSB0: Set params: 9600
;; Stopping thread for: ttyUSB0
;; ttyUSB0: Close

I tried to connect during pushin' any button, of a mesurement cycle, but no success. Tried to search this forum, but could not find similar issues.
Please help, what do I miss?

Looks like you have checked "Scan serial ports" and it is that scan that checks for the DL24, it will not work.
You have to add the DL24 to the used devices, including defining a serial port in the address column and checkmark enable.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1854 on: August 08, 2021, 03:54:59 pm »

They are supposed to work, but only the "Current values" are synchronized to the table, i.e. readout uses their own instance to do the calculations.

While logging with interval 0.03 sec comparing the Math Readout popup to the Current Values tab again gives around 30 mSec from the Current Values tab and shows around 200 mSec in the Readout popup.  I guess for some Math formulas based on history (like Type Change) just don't work in a Readout popup.  Not a real problem, but needed to know.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1855 on: August 08, 2021, 04:05:09 pm »

While logging with interval 0.03 sec comparing the Math Readout popup to the Current Values tab again gives around 30 mSec from the Current Values tab and shows around 200 mSec in the Readout popup.  I guess for some Math formulas based on history (like Type Change) just don't work in a Readout popup.  Not a real problem, but needed to know.

The readouts runs at a 200ms interval, i.e. 5 updates/sec. The math will reflect that.

Offline evalent

« Reply #1856 on: August 08, 2021, 04:35:25 pm »
Well, thanks for details to uncheck 'Scan serial ports'.

Fiddling with address - ttyUSB0 instead of /dev/ttyUSB0 gave the connection!
Now - let's start the game.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1857 on: August 08, 2021, 05:06:14 pm »
Well, thanks for details to uncheck 'Scan serial ports'.

You do not need to uncheck "Scan serial ports", but that function will only find devices that respond to a *idn? query. This can be useful if you have a couple of serial devices that do.

Fiddling with address - ttyUSB0 instead of /dev/ttyUSB0 gave the connection!

In the address field you can right click with the mouse to get a list of serial ports.

Offline evalent

« Reply #1858 on: August 08, 2021, 07:19:04 pm »
Finally everything works fine in Linux environment.
I used device names without /dev/ prefix. (wired serial: ttyUSBx, bt: rfcommx; dont forget to bind port and channel: eg. #rfcomm bind <port> <bt-addr> <channel>)
If change in connection settings was necessary, the program had to close and restart, consequent 'reconnect' instructions may give misleading results.

Applied Java verison:
openjdk 11.0.12 2021-07-20
OpenJDK Runtirme Environment (build 11.0.12+7-post-Debian-2deb10u1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.12+7-post-Debian-2deb10u1, mixed mode, sharing)

My forum question was immediately answered !  :)

Offline AlexDavidson

• Contributor
« Reply #1859 on: August 19, 2021, 07:47:38 am »
Thanks HKJ for a very useful piece of software. I have attached a device file for the dual channel East Tester 5420 DC Load that I created by modifying the device file for the single channel East Tester 5410. To anyone who wishes to use this, note that the operating mode is set from the Setup popup instead of the Mode popup used for the single channel version.

Offline yaybee

• Contributor
« Reply #1860 on: August 19, 2021, 09:14:39 am »
Hi HKJ,

I am still busy with the new config for my Siglent SDG2122X and I have some new questions.

Q1: The #cmdsetup info seems not to support the tag :readformat:, see "info_error" attachment.

Part of setup config:
#cmdSetup button Get_Signal_Measurement Counter
:update: Signal_Frequency Signal_Deviation Signal_Width Signal_Duty_Cycle

#cmdSetup info Signal_Frequency Counter
:read: FCNT?
:readmath: getElement(getMatch(value,"FRQ,[^,]*(,|$)"),1,",")
:readformat: u
Hz_measured
_

#cmdSetup info Signal_Deviation Counter
:read: FCNT?
:readmath: getElement(getMatch(value,"FRQDEV,[^,]*(,|$)"),1,",")
:readformat: u
ppm_from_reference
_

Result of queries, where "Rx as number" is not present:
;; SDG2122X: Tx <FCNT?>
;; SDG2122X: Rx <FCNT STATE,ON,FRQ,0HZ,DUTY,0,REFQ,1e+07HZ,TRG,0V,PW,0S,NW,0S,FRQDEV,0ppm,MODE,AC,HFR,OFF
>
;; SDG2122X: Rx after :readmath: getElement(getMatch(value,"FRQ,[^,]*(,|$)"),1,",") <0HZ>
;; SDG2122X: Cache Tx: <FCNT?> Rx: <FCNT STATE,ON,FRQ,0HZ,DUTY,0,REFQ,1e+07HZ,TRG,0V,PW,0S,NW,0S,FRQDEV,0ppm,MODE,AC,HFR,OFF
>
;; SDG2122X: Rx after :readmath: getElement(getMatch(value,"FRQDEV,[^,]*(,|$)"),1,",") <0ppm>
;; SDG2122X: Cache Tx: <FCNT?> Rx: <FCNT STATE,ON,FRQ,0HZ,DUTY,0,REFQ,1e+07HZ,TRG,0V,PW,0S,NW,0S,FRQDEV,0ppm,MODE,AC,HFR,OFF
>

Q2: #cmdsetup controls, which are in a selector, will sometimes not be displayed; see "coupling_error" attachments.
However if I put these commands at the end of all statements for this page "coupling" they are displayed; see "coupling_OK" attachments.
But they are now out of the desired order of displayed items.

Q3: What to specify on :update: tag?
I see examples of page.control-name and only control-name in the Devices files.
The documentation says that using control-name will issue an update for all controls with the same name on all pages.
However what about page.control-name? Will this restrict the updates to that page or will the page be ignored and all control-names on all pages will be updated?

Q4: Which logical operators and/or combinations can be specified on :enable: tag?
This works :enable: Channel_1.Burst_Cycle=="1" && Channel_1.Burst_Trigger=="INT"
But I had no success adding a third one :enable: Channel_1.Burst_Cycle=="1" && Channel_1.Burst_Trigger=="INT" && Channel_1.Burst_Trigger_Edge=="RISE"

Q5: Is it possible to implement a variable on the #cmdsetup checkbox like on buttonsOn?

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1861 on: August 19, 2021, 10:29:19 am »
Thanks HKJ for a very useful piece of software. I have attached a device file for the dual channel East Tester 5420 DC Load that I created by modifying the device file for the single channel East Tester 5410. To anyone who wishes to use this, note that the operating mode is set from the Setup popup instead of the Mode popup used for the single channel version.

Thanks, It will be included in the next release.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1862 on: August 19, 2021, 10:49:23 am »
Hi HKJ,

I am still busy with the new config for my Siglent SDG2122X and I have some new questions.

Q1: The #cmdsetup info seems not to support the tag :readformat:, see "info_error" attachment.

It do, check the DOS output, there any errors in :readmath: will be listed.

Q2: #cmdsetup controls, which are in a selector, will sometimes not be displayed; see "coupling_error" attachments.

?

Q3: What to specify on :update: tag?

It only checks the direct name, i.e. controls with the same name on different pages will be updated.

Q4: Which logical operators and/or combinations can be specified on :enable: tag?

It uses the calculator, this means that the reason you example fails is probably a syntax or missing variable (See DOS window).

Q5: Is it possible to implement a variable on the #cmdsetup checkbox like on buttonsOn?

Generally the #cmdSetup do not support variables, you have to use the SCPIx or ascii driver and #scpiCmd to get that.

Offline yaybee

• Contributor
« Reply #1863 on: August 19, 2021, 12:11:08 pm »

I downloaded the latest version (to be sure). The debug DOS gives no errors.

This is with a number control:
;; SDG2122X: Rx after :readmath: getElement(getMatch(value,"LLEV,[^,]*(,|$)"),1,",") <-2V>
;; SDG2122X: Rx as number <-2.0>

This is with the info control:
>
;; SDG2122X: Rx after :readmath: getElement(getMatch(value,"FRQDEV,[^,]*(,|$)"),1,",") <0ppm>

With info I don't see ";; SDG2122X: Rx as number <0.0>" assuming this is the trace of :readformat: u

Has somebody else tried this?

?
Yes, this is very strange. It only happens with more than 2 concatenated selectors. It is only the display of the item the rest seems to work.  I think this is a bug.

Generally the #cmdSetup do not support variables, you have to use the SCPIx or ascii driver and #scpiCmd to get that.
I was not thinking of user defined :setvar: but the normal variable set by some controls as documented:
*Some controls will create variables with their name or pageName.name if pages are used, they are:
Number, NumberInt, NumberDual (Adds 1 & 2 to the names), buttonsOn, radio, combobox, comboboxhot

and add checkBox.

Offline yaybee

• Contributor
« Reply #1864 on: August 19, 2021, 03:01:55 pm »
Hi,

To learn more about my new Siglent ARB genenrator ( SDG2122X) I tried to expand the current configuration file of Testcontroller with SCPI available functions like modulation, sweep, harmonics and burst. Added the function generator and utility functions. A lot seems to work, but no guarantees. I did not expect his ARB to be so complex, so here will be mistakes in this file, take care!

Additionally I made a documentation file based on my experience while creating the config file. Especially the selector control has helped a lot and I hope you have a look to improve your config files.

For "those playing along at home" I added a python script to clean and report on the config file. This is handy with large configs to keep in control.

IMPORTANT: the name of the config file has changed to SiglentSDGxxxxX.txt so you have to remove the old SiglentSDGxxxx.txt to work with this new file.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 03:16:15 pm by yaybee »

The following users thanked this post: Bad_Driver

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1865 on: August 19, 2021, 06:19:44 pm »

I downloaded the latest version (to be sure). The debug DOS gives no errors.

This is with a number control:
;; SDG2122X: Rx after :readmath: getElement(getMatch(value,"LLEV,[^,]*(,|$)"),1,",") <-2V>
;; SDG2122X: Rx as number <-2.0>

This is with the info control:
>

With info I don't see ";; SDG2122X: Rx as number <0.0>" assuming this is the trace of :readformat: u

Has somebody else tried this?

You can test expressions on the command line (Prefix with =) or in the calculator
declare value with:
var value="FCNT STATE,ON,FRQ,0HZ,DUTY,0,REFQ,1e+07HZ,TRG,0V,PW,0S,NW,0S,FRQDEV,0ppm,MODE,AC,HFR,OFF"

You can also use displayVar() directly in the :readmath: expression to show a value.

?
Yes, this is very strange. It only happens with more than 2 concatenated selectors. It is only the display of the item the rest seems to work.  I think this is a bug.

I have not tested much with nested selectors, maybe I have to look at bit on that.

I was not thinking of user defined :setvar: but the normal variable set by some controls as documented:
*Some controls will create variables with their name or pageName.name if pages are used, they are:
Number, NumberInt, NumberDual (Adds 1 & 2 to the names), buttonsOn, radio, combobox, comboboxhot

and add checkBox.

These variable cannot be reached from :readmath:, they are locally defined and only accessible for a limited number of tags.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1866 on: August 19, 2021, 06:31:04 pm »
Hi,

To learn more about my new Siglent ARB genenrator ( SDG2122X) I tried to expand the current configuration file of Testcontroller with SCPI available functions like modulation, sweep, harmonics and burst. Added the function generator and utility functions. A lot seems to work, but no guarantees. I did not expect his ARB to be so complex, so here will be mistakes in this file, take care!

Additionally I made a documentation file based on my experience while creating the config file. Especially the selector control has helped a lot and I hope you have a look to improve your config files.

For "those playing along at home" I added a python script to clean and report on the config file. This is handy with large configs to keep in control.

IMPORTANT: the name of the config file has changed to SiglentSDGxxxxX.txt so you have to remove the old SiglentSDGxxxx.txt to work with this new file.

I hope it is ok if I include all your files on my website.
Because you sound like the Siglent definition may not be finished I will not replace the current definition, but would like to put it somewhere on my website.

I am also sure some people will love another perspective/hints on defining devices, that my reference (I have looked at it, but not read everything).

I do not know exactly what the python script do, but some tool to pretty up definitions may be a good thing.

Offline MeterReader

• Contributor
« Reply #1867 on: August 23, 2021, 11:08:57 pm »
Has anyone made a tutorial for this for the purpose of testing cells using an electronic load?

My load(KP184) is recognized and the values on the front panel are visible in the "current values" tab. I just don't know where to go from there. The commands page seems like the place to start, but this is way over my head. I know I need to enter the current I'd like to draw and the cut-off voltage and then have a go button to press. I was able to set the current by typing in the desired value in the setup popup and pressing the CC button.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1868 on: August 24, 2021, 07:05:25 am »
Has anyone made a tutorial for this for the purpose of testing cells using an electronic load?

My load(KP184) is recognized and the values on the front panel are visible in the "current values" tab. I just don't know where to go from there. The commands page seems like the place to start, but this is way over my head. I know I need to enter the current I'd like to draw and the cut-off voltage and then have a go button to press. I was able to set the current by typing in the desired value in the setup popup and pressing the CC button.

Right click in the log part of the commands page, then select "Batteries, Test, Discharge" and verify the values in the popup before pressing start.

To do it manually you have to set the current as you have done, press the "Log" button on the commands page  and select a time interval (1 sec is fine), then press the "on" button on the "KP184" page.
To automatic stop when the battery is empty you can open the "Popups, Alarm", select the load Voltage in the combobox, enter 2.8 in the min field, checkmark "Output off" and "On".

If the load is missing a capacity trace, it must be added manually to the "Math" page, this means "Add" a line, typing "Capacity" or something similar into the name field, select type "SumTimeHour" and typing the name of the current column in the formula field (See the Table page for the full name or type #values? on the command page).
The enabled checkmark can only be checked when logging is stopped and will then add a column to the table.
It will look similar to the last line here:

If you are on a computer with a registered web browser you can press F1 in most windows to get some help.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 07:17:37 am by HKJ »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline mmee

« Reply #1869 on: August 25, 2021, 09:29:30 am »
Hello.
I'm a new user on DL24. That works.
Could you let me know how to chart, in real time, not from 0 to the last value, but from 0 to 2 hours (fixed time, progressing chart)?
Thank you

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1870 on: August 25, 2021, 09:59:07 am »
Hello.
I'm a new user on DL24. That works.
Could you let me know how to chart, in real time, not from 0 to the last value, but from 0 to 2 hours (fixed time, progressing chart)?

You can limit the chart displayed using the "First sample to display" and "Last sample to display" fields.
Typing 2:: or 7200 in the "Last sample to display" field will limit the chart to two hours.

Offline MeterReader

• Contributor
« Reply #1871 on: August 25, 2021, 06:26:09 pm »
"Batteries, test, discharge" option doesn't show up. With your prompting, I was able to get started manually.

Can I make the bottom of the graph for voltage to be the cut-off voltage? And get amp hours instead of time?

This is what I'm doing:

This is what you're doing that I like:

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1872 on: August 25, 2021, 06:56:31 pm »
"Batteries, test, discharge" option doesn't show up. With your prompting, I was able to get started manually.

It is a script that TestController download from my server when it is started, but it will only be visible if the load definition has implemented a interface. This is some lines in the definitions that allows a generic script access to the load and makes it possible for a script to work on many similar devices.

Can I make the bottom of the graph for voltage to be the cut-off voltage? And get amp hours instead of time?

You right-click on the hh:mm:ss checkbox to select what is shown at the bottom.
To adjust the scale use the "Scales for charts", remove the checkmark in auto and fill in minimum and maximum for the voltage trace.

You can do some other formatting, but it requires using script, the chart below is done in TestController from a script:

What I have done in the above is use other scale names, change colors and adding annotations.

To include multiple discharges in the same chart you must do them separately and then import them, during import you can synchronize either time or capacity.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline yaybee

• Contributor
« Reply #1873 on: August 28, 2021, 06:03:54 pm »
Hi guys,

I finished my exercise with the Testcontroller Setup function for the Siglent SDGxxxxX.
Nearly all SCPI commands have been implemented and are as best as possible tested on the SDG2041/SDG2122.
I also had a look at the scripting interface and the settings for the different models in the #metadefs.

This version V0.94 should have the same basic functionality as the current SDGxxxx.txt, but
some corrections of / additions to the functionality have been made to better represent the device characteristics.
The file has however been renamed to SDGxxxxX.txt, because it will only support the X version of the SDG.

NOTE: the SDGxxxx.txt needs to be removed from the Devices directory to work with SDGxxxxX.txt OR
the #metadef of your device must be set to comment in SDGxxxx.txt.

Due to the large number of required device reads this version has a slower update rate of the Setup window than the current one.
I did some improvements  by introducing the selector control and giving different control names to CH1 and CH2.

The build-in frequency counter had been configured, but can at this moment not be used in conjunction with the current scripting interface.
In the file you find the explanation how to switch between the two modes manually.
I wanted to make a solution with different MODES, but that is not possible because the SDG does not support a mode indicator variable.
I hope HKJ has look at it and makes a solution.

Previously I posted some additional attachments and the updated versions are posted again:
The Python script main.py has been updated and renamed to check-setup.py
A new script to copy a device channel e.g. CH1 to CH2 had been added: copy-setup.py
An updated version of some setup documentation: Version 2
The csv file from the check-setup.py with some errors examples in it: SiglentSDGxxxxX.csv.txt; Remove .txt and you can load this in excel and add filter capability to select on column 1.

@HKJ, has the fix for the underscore in read/write been released yet?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 06:26:34 pm by yaybee »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971, bmjjr

Offline yaybee

• Contributor
« Reply #1874 on: August 28, 2021, 06:11:39 pm »
Hi HKJ,

I found a bug in your selector processing.
When the selector switches to another entry AND this entry has THE SAME NUMBER of displayed items then an error occurs:
the text fields of the LAST ITEM in the active entry are not cleared before the new text is written.
This gives overlapping text in the Setup window for these items; see attached pictures.

Attachment before.jpg shows frequency modulation, we then switch to amplitude modulation and the error occurs (see red circles in after.jpg) and it should be correct.jpg

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf