Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 489388 times)

HKJ and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #2575 on: June 14, 2022, 08:38:20 am »
Is it possible to include a tip/help line that shows up when the device connects? I've notes in the device file, but their's two important things a user might miss if they don't check the device file.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2576 on: June 14, 2022, 08:48:15 am »
Is it possible to include a tip/help line that shows up when the device connects? I've notes in the device file, but their's two important things a user might miss if they don't check the device file.

There is nothing that pops up, that would be annoying, but you can use a #notes to get a icon in the Notes column. It is possible to use multiple lines after a single #notes, anything until the next # command is included.

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2577 on: June 14, 2022, 09:06:20 am »
This is what I was looking for, I knew I seen something like that earlier, but couldn't remember, thanks.

Offline rachdatu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2578 on: June 14, 2022, 12:50:44 pm »
Is it possible to send these 3 parameters with one "Set" button?

No, but check the multi control: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice%20UK.html#Control_multi

So far so good. Thanks  :-+

1511662-0

I am adding more parameters. Is there a way to put the other values on a second line in the same tab?

Now for the write function: I need to "build" this function based on the values entered in the different fields before sending it to the device in ASCII, together with the CRC/checksum (still don't know how to get the right value).
Which function(s) should I use ?

Thanks

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2579 on: June 14, 2022, 01:16:30 pm »
MS6514 testing done.

Readings matched what the meter said and had no issues going negative.

Put the oven to 100°C, put a probe in the oven and one in the Freezer  :)

All looks good.

Device profile attached, feel free to edit it before adding to devices if you're not happy with how I did this. Hopefully other people find this useful.

The device itself can operate as a standalone data recorder, has high accuracy and can be got for around €40, so it's a good buy, I can't be the only person with one of these that would like to log in Test Controller!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 01:48:43 pm by SpottedDick »

Offline Totoro

• Contributor
    • The Belfry
« Reply #2580 on: June 14, 2022, 01:47:44 pm »
Hello all,
I have a MetraHit Energy and am having trouble getting it to work with Test Controller. I am using a Mac running Monterey and Test Controller seems to be running just fine. I built the IrDA interface described by PushUp (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/msg4015216/#msg4015216). I also have the IR interface for a Keysight U1733C LCR meter and, using the screen program, I can get it to loop-back at 38400 baud by holding a mirror up to it. Using a mirror does not work with the IrDA2 click device called out by PushUp. So, I don't know for sure if that is actually sending a signal. Holding a camera up to either doesn't seem to show anything.
I can load the meter in Test Controller and in the device address space I am using the device name from the /dev directory, in this case, /dev/tty.usbserial-14340. This is the address I would use with the screen program. Maybe the Test Controller program expects a different address form?
I have tried both IR interfaces with Test Controller and when I hit the Reconnect button I get this:

;; Dummy Device GMC,METRAHIT ENERGY, do not match: null,,,

The meter is displaying the IR indicator in the upper-right corner. I'm quite new to this instrument, though. Do I have to set it up to tell it to send something?
Please excuse the rather rambling nature of this post but if anyone could help it would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Michael (aka Totoro)

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2581 on: June 14, 2022, 01:48:08 pm »

I am adding more parameters. Is there a way to put the other values on a second line in the same tab?

Each message can only contain values from one line, I have not seen a need for many parameters in one command before.

Now for the write function: I need to "build" this function based on the values entered in the different fields before sending it to the device in ASCII, together with the CRC/checksum (still don't know how to get the right value).

You get a "value" variable that contains each value in ascii format and you can get a single one with getElement() function.
But converting that to a couple of hex values can be a bit hard.
You can use hex(getElement(value,4)) to convert a single number to hex, but for it to work you need to use () around it and "\"" for the driver to accept it as a text string, i.e. ("\""+hex(getElement(value,4))+"\""), except you need many more conversions inside the ()

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2582 on: June 14, 2022, 01:48:44 pm »
All looks good.

It will be included in the next release.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2583 on: June 14, 2022, 01:50:49 pm »
I can load the meter in Test Controller and in the device address space I am using the device name from the /dev directory, in this case, /dev/tty.usbserial-14340. This is the address I would use with the screen program. Maybe the Test Controller program expects a different address form?

Enter the address field with F2 and try right clicking the mouse, then TestController will list all serial ports in a popup.

The following users thanked this post: Totoro

Offline Totoro

• Contributor
    • The Belfry
« Reply #2584 on: June 14, 2022, 02:46:07 pm »
Thank you HKJ!
Basically, it didn't want the /dev/ part. I'm now connected.
Thanks again, too, to PushUp for the interface writeup.
Now the Test Controller learning curve begins!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 03:16:31 pm by Totoro »

Offline aszasza

« Reply #2585 on: June 14, 2022, 04:28:07 pm »
Hi! I've tested the new version with the ATorch DL24M-H and I have a few observations regarding the setup commands behaviour.

The voltage setting works just fine.
The current setting is a different story. It is always off by a fixed value multiplier, an example: in TC I set it to 1000m, the load beeps and sets itself to 3.9A while in the setting field TC shows 390m. So there is a factor of 10 error in the feedback part but also there is a factor of 2.56something when you command the load. I hope its clear enough...
The time setting works but it rounds DOWN to the nearest minute. An example: setting to 119 yields in 00:01 on the display, 185 becomes 00:03 and so on. The load itself only has one minute resolution anyway so its not a big deal.. It is also different a bit from the cutoff voltage setting because you manually have to turn on this feature on the load to any number before it actually works. The cutoff voltage works fine even if its in "off" mode when you set up the voltage.

The value readings are good, they don't have this weird multiplier problem, they all come in with correct decimals and stuff.., however the current reading is very glitchy and drops to close to zero quite often. See the attached picture, it is a constant 1A load and even after I've turned off the load there was a glitch.

Hope this helps and thank you very much for all this massive effort to make this software. Let me know if I can do some more tests with this specific load.

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2586 on: June 14, 2022, 07:44:30 pm »
@aszasza,

Reading Dropouts is an known problem with DL24***
In post 1568 discussed about that.
HKJ helped me with making some mathfunctions to reduce the errors.
Better said is to filter them out.
Strange you have them only in Current reading, that is i.m.o. not always the case,
other DL24 readings have also dropouts when you log for a long time.
As Example: Dropouts are very bad when you need to check Cut-off voltage.
This is used in my Battery Test script which HKJ has published here:

https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerUserScripts1%20UK.html

Maybe you can use parts from code from that.
Succes.

BTW. I have not as much dropouts as you have.
When logging for a short time I have almost no dropouts.
See attached picture form the Powersupply test.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 08:08:56 pm by Pukker »

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2587 on: June 15, 2022, 01:54:04 am »
@HKJ

The "USBTMC" Protocol has come up in the past. I've an OWON SDS1192 which uses the "PC" setting to log to its own propreiety software. However, it does support "USBTMC" mode as well.

Any chance of this being updated? I know very little about it at the moment, but it appears it would allow Test Controller to nearly immediately add a bunch of equipment to its list of supported devices.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2588 on: June 15, 2022, 07:56:58 am »
Hi! I've tested the new version with the ATorch DL24M-H and I have a few observations regarding the setup commands behaviour.

Try this version and see if it fixes dropout: http://lygte-info.dk/pic/Projects/TestController/TestController.jar

Maybe your load is the old software version, try running it as a DL24P

Please report back on both results.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2589 on: June 15, 2022, 08:01:13 am »
The "USBTMC" Protocol has come up in the past. I've an OWON SDS1192 which uses the "PC" setting to log to its own propreiety software. However, it does support "USBTMC" mode as well.

Any chance of this being updated? I know very little about it at the moment, but it appears it would allow Test Controller to nearly immediately add a bunch of equipment to its list of supported devices.

The problem is that USBTMC requires native code and cannot be done in Java and native code requires separate code for each OS and cpu architecture.

Offline rachdatu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2590 on: June 15, 2022, 02:30:03 pm »

Each message can only contain values from one line, I have not seen a need for many parameters in one command before.

You get a "value" variable that contains each value in ascii format and you can get a single one with getElement() function.
But converting that to a couple of hex values can be a bit hard.
You can use hex(getElement(value,4)) to convert a single number to hex, but for it to work you need to use () around it and "\"" for the driver to accept it as a text string, i.e. ("\""+hex(getElement(value,4))+"\""), except you need many more conversions inside the ()

Yes, it seems hard. This is my multi box (simplified for this test)
Code: [Select]
#cmdSetup multi Battery Parameters
:read: BatteryType?;
:write: mytest ("\""+hex(getElement(value,4))+"\"")
;:write: mytest ("\""+ hex(0x0c,1) +hex(0,4)+hex(1,4)+hex(2,4)+hex(3,4)+hex(4,4)+hex(5,4)+"\"")
; cannot get the control char 0c right!
:tip: Enter battery parameters
combobox NiCd 0 NiMh 1 LiIo 2 LiPo 3 LiFe 4 Pb 5

Where should I put the function to read the different battery types based on my selection how can I parse the different values??

Thanks

Offline vladobac

• Contributor
« Reply #2591 on: June 15, 2022, 04:25:03 pm »

The voltage setting works just fine.
The current setting is a different story. It is always off by a fixed value multiplier, an example: in TC I set it to 1000m, the load beeps and sets itself to 3.9A while in the setting field TC shows 390m. So there is a factor of 10 error in the feedback part but also there is a factor of 2.56something when you command the load. I hope its clear enough...
The time setting works but it rounds DOWN to the nearest minute. An example: setting to 119 yields in 00:01 on the display, 185 becomes 00:03 and so on. The load itself only has one minute resolution anyway so its not a big deal.. It is also different a bit from the cutoff voltage setting because you manually have to turn on this feature on the load to any number before it actually works. The cutoff voltage works fine even if its in "off" mode when you set up the voltage.

The value readings are good, they don't have this weird multiplier problem, they all come in with correct decimals and stuff.., however the current reading is very glitchy and drops to close to zero quite often. See the attached picture, it is a constant 1A load and even after I've turned off the load there was a glitch.

Hope this helps and thank you very much for all this massive effort to make this software. Let me know if I can do some more tests with this specific load.

Update your device using the Chinese firmware upgrade as I wrote in my post # 2542. Outages almost disappear.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2592 on: June 15, 2022, 06:21:07 pm »
Yes, it seems hard. This is my multi box (simplified for this test)
#cmdSetup multi Battery Parameters
:read: BatteryType?;
:write: mytest ("\""+hex(getElement(value,4))+"\"")
;:write: mytest ("\""+ hex(0x0c,1) +hex(0,4)+hex(1,4)+hex(2,4)+hex(3,4)+hex(4,4)+hex(5,4)+"\"")
; cannot get the control char 0c right!
:tip: Enter battery parameters
combobox NiCd 0 NiMh 1 LiIo 2 LiPo 3 LiFe 4 Pb 5

Where should I put the function to read the different battery types based on my selection how can I parse the different values??

I am not exactly sure what you are asking about.
You can use :readmath: to process read values. They can be used both in the #cmdSetup and the #scpiCmd tags.

Offline aszasza

« Reply #2593 on: June 15, 2022, 06:29:33 pm »

Try this version and see if it fixes dropout: http://lygte-info.dk/pic/Projects/TestController/TestController.jar

I've tried it with booth DL24P and DL24M-H, both have the same issue with the dropouts. If I'm using the DL24P the current setting works properly though, no weird multiplier problems as with the M-H one...

vladobac: I don't want to update the firmware unless we know it works for sure, this way at least we can provide info for HKJ, you with the new fw and I with the original one.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2594 on: June 15, 2022, 06:57:08 pm »
I've tried it with booth DL24P and DL24M-H, both have the same issue with the dropouts. If I'm using the DL24P the current setting works properly though, no weird multiplier problems as with the M-H one...

Try running TestController in logging mode, I would like a log segment that includes a dropout.

Offline aszasza

« Reply #2595 on: June 15, 2022, 07:06:16 pm »
@aszasza,

Reading Dropouts is an known problem with DL24***
In post 1568 discussed about that.
HKJ helped me with making some mathfunctions to reduce the errors.
Better said is to filter them out.
Strange you have them only in Current reading, that is i.m.o. not always the case,
other DL24 readings have also dropouts when you log for a long time.
As Example: Dropouts are very bad when you need to check Cut-off voltage.
This is used in my Battery Test script which HKJ has published here:

https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerUserScripts1%20UK.html

Maybe you can use parts from code from that.
Succes.

BTW. I have not as much dropouts as you have.
When logging for a short time I have almost no dropouts.
See attached picture form the Powersupply test.

I've tried your script but it stops for me after like 5-6 seconds I don't know why, I'm very new with TC I don't understand how it works yet. This is what I get:
#scriptMenu Discharge
;; Battery discharging with DL24 / PX100
;; Loaddevice = ATDL24P
;; Max. Discharge time = 120.0 Seconds
;; Discharge with 1.0A to 7.0V
;; Start Voltage = 9.997 Volt
;; Discharge Current = 0.987 Ampere
;; #wait (tableCalcMax((load+".Voltage"),tableRows()-6)>endVoltage) and (tableCalcMax((load+".Current"),tableRows()-6)>(0.5*testCurrent)) and timeendVoltage) and (tableCalcMax((load+".Current"),tableRows()-6)>(0.5*testCurrent)) failed due to Variable not found timeendVoltage 
e"),tableRows()-6)>endVoltage) and (tableCalcMax((load+".Current"),tableRows()-6)>(0.5*testCurrent)) and timeendVoltage)____<----____ and (tableCalcMax((load+".Current"),tableRows()-6)>(0.5*testCurrent))
;; Discharge stopped by TestController
;; End Voltage = 9.984 Volt
;; Discharged with Current = 1.0 Ampere
;; Capacity = 0.001Ah
;; Energy = 0.015Wh

For me only the current is glitchy, even when doing long tests, see the attached picture. There are some very minor glitches with the voltage but that is it.

Offline aszasza

« Reply #2596 on: June 15, 2022, 07:12:38 pm »

Try running TestController in logging mode, I would like a log segment that includes a dropout.

Here you go, this is the log:
https://pastebin.com/LmD2BSPB
and this is the table:
https://pastebin.com/fZmGe6hY

Offline vladobac

• Contributor
« Reply #2597 on: June 15, 2022, 07:49:31 pm »

vladobac: I don't want to update the firmware unless we know it works for sure, this way at least we can provide info for HKJ, you with the new fw and I with the original one.

Before and after the upgrade
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 07:52:03 pm by vladobac »

Offline vladobac

• Contributor
« Reply #2598 on: June 15, 2022, 08:03:36 pm »

I am testing an electronic load Atorch DL24M-H 600W - upgraded by Chinese firmware (due to record failures - described in my post # 2542) with this version TC 2.12. Everything works perfectly. I made some about 2 hours of battery discharge records and there were no problems with the program. Thanks to the author of the program for adding my type of load to the TC menu (I wouldn't be able to do that).

A minor problem is only when entering the discharge current via the keypad via the setup menu TC 2.12. It only accepts divisible values ​​or multiples of 1024. (anything with the format of the entered data?).
These discharge current values ​​can be set via the setup menu:
128m
256m
512m
768m
 and others...
However, most of the values ​​are reduced, and this reduced value is actually set. Larger currents around 10A go set quite well, but below 1A it's unusable. For example, the set 1A changes to 858mA ... I recommend entering the value of the discharge current using the buttons on the display.
I can't use all the features of TC, but I tried to import and export a few graphs (to compare the discharge curves), to trim and save the truncated records, I changed the number of records per second. Everything worked. So great program. If I come across a problem, I'll let you know.

Online HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2599 on: June 16, 2022, 06:44:16 am »

Here you go, this is the log:
https://pastebin.com/LmD2BSPB
and this is the table:
https://pastebin.com/fZmGe6hY

That explains it. There is no dropout, but the load sends wrong values once in a while.

A correct current report look like this:
;; COM3: Rx: CA CB 00 03 E7 CE CF
But sometimes I get:
;; COM3: Rx: CA CB 00 00 3E CE CF
As answer to a current? request.

I can fix it by always requesting a extra reading after huge changes in value, I will take a look at that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf