Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 489423 times)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #2600 on: June 16, 2022, 07:03:46 am »
A minor problem is only when entering the discharge current via the keypad via the setup menu TC 2.12. It only accepts divisible values ​​or multiples of 1024. (anything with the format of the entered data?).

I wonder if the format of the data is changed.
Try attached device definition.

You can see what I have changed just below: #metaSection Protocol2
If it do not work correctly you are welcome to experiment with the next few lines, they are the ones used to set and read current (Anything starting with ; is ignored)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2601 on: June 16, 2022, 08:56:16 am »
Before and after the upgrade

I am a bit sorry you upgraded, now you cannot test the new TestController where I try to filter a bit (By reading a extra time when value changes).
The filter works on both new and old protocol but the filter is only active on the current (I can add other values if needed).

http://lygte-info.dk/pic/Projects/TestController/TestController.jar

Offline aszasza

« Reply #2602 on: June 16, 2022, 11:20:06 am »

I am a bit sorry you upgraded, now you cannot test the new TestController where I try to filter a bit (By reading a extra time when value changes).
The filter works on both new and old protocol but the filter is only active on the current (I can add other values if needed).

Don't worry, that is why I did not do the upgrade yet so we can test it all out before I do it. I can only do tests after work though, I only have the load at home...

Other: I've tried my Ridden DPS5005 PSU with TC (I just horribly bodged one of the other definitions because I still don't quite understand how it all works) and it worked just fine, so please, if you can add that to the list would be awesome. Thanks!

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2603 on: June 16, 2022, 12:04:34 pm »
Don't worry, that is why I did not do the upgrade yet so we can test it all out before I do it. I can only do tests after work though, I only have the load at home...

Ok, I mixed up, I am not that used to have two people testing at the same time.

Other: I've tried my Ridden DPS5005 PSU with TC (I just horribly bodged one of the other definitions because I still don't quite understand how it all works) and it worked just fine, so please, if you can add that to the list would be awesome. Thanks!

I need to know what definition and what you did to it.

Offline aszasza

« Reply #2604 on: June 16, 2022, 12:23:08 pm »
I need to know what definition and what you did to it.

I've changed the Riden DPH5005 file, and there is this line where I think it checks for the correct model number: "#verifyDevice 5205 Model?" I just replaced the 5205 to 5005 and it worked :D
They have a whole range of PSU-s they all look the same and more than likely they are all using the same comm. protocol so it would be nice just to add them all and mark the untested ones. I only have the DPS5005 but I'm pretty sure that here in the forum we can cover pretty much the whole range of them, they are very common PSUs.
By the way it is confusing that the filename is DPH5005 and the device that is listed in the file is 5205, is this a mistake or why this is so?

The DPH is buck-boost the DPS is buck only.

I can try to collect all the model numbers with communication option (not all have this feature enabled) for you from this range of PSUs, so you can add them.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2605 on: June 16, 2022, 12:45:13 pm »
I've changed the Riden DPH5005 file, and there is this line where I think it checks for the correct model number: "#verifyDevice 5205 Model?" I just replaced the 5205 to 5005 and it worked :D
They have a whole range of PSU-s they all look the same and more than likely they are all using the same comm. protocol so it would be nice just to add them all and mark the untested ones. I only have the DPS5005 but I'm pretty sure that here in the forum we can cover pretty much the whole range of them, they are very common PSUs.
By the way it is confusing that the filename is DPH5005 and the device that is listed in the file is 5205, is this a mistake or why this is so?

The DPH is buck-boost the DPS is buck only.

I can try to collect all the model numbers with communication option (not all have this feature enabled) for you from this range of PSUs, so you can add them.

In the attached file I have moved the model definitions to #metadef.
To add a new copy one of the #metadef sections and change the values according, test it and if it works, post the #metadef section here and I will include it.

Note: Remove the RidenDPH5005.txt file, it will interfere with this definition.

Offline rachdatu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2606 on: June 16, 2022, 03:39:39 pm »
Yes, it seems hard. This is my multi box (simplified for this test)
Code: [Select]
#cmdSetup multi Battery Parameters
:read: BatteryType?;
:write: mytest ("\""+hex(getElement(value,4))+"\"")
;:write: mytest ("\""+ hex(0x0c,1) +hex(0,4)+hex(1,4)+hex(2,4)+hex(3,4)+hex(4,4)+hex(5,4)+"\"")
; cannot get the control char 0c right!
:tip: Enter battery parameters
combobox NiCd 0 NiMh 1 LiIo 2 LiPo 3 LiFe 4 Pb 5

Where should I put the function to read the different battery types based on my selection how can I parse the different values??

I am not exactly sure what you are asking about.
You can use :readmath: to process read values. They can be used both in the #cmdSetup and the #scpiCmd tags.

Sometimes I don't know myself  :)

A few more tests, no success:

;:write: mytest ("\""+hex(getElement(#,4))+hex(getElement(#,4))+"\"")
:write: mytest ("\""+hex(getElement(value,4))+hex(getElement(value,4))+"\"")
combobox 1Cell 1 2cell 2 3cell 3 4cell 4 5cell 5 6cell 6 7cell 7

Getting this with the first write. The values are read correctly. However, everything is sent in ASCII.
Tx <tx ("\""+hex(getElement(1,4))+hex(getElement(7,4))+"\"")>

With the second write, it's crashing:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" dk.hkj.script.ProgramExceptions$UnknownEx
ception: No digits in number <>
"\""+hex(getElement(value,4))+____<----____hex(getElement(value,4))+"\""
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.expression(Script.java:1232)
        at dk.hkj.main.Support.processScriptInBrackets(Support.java:1173)
        at dk.hkj.main.SCPICommand.writeRead(SCPICommand.java:346)
        at dk.hkj.main.SCPICommand.write(SCPICommand.java:366)
        at dk.hkj.devices.SetupFormats$MultiField.actionPerformed(SetupFormats.j
ava:4066)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Sour
ce)
        at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionP
rivilege(Unknown Source)
rivilege(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
rivilege(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: dk.hkj.vars.VarExceptions$ConversionException: No digits in number <>

at dk.hkj.vars.Support.stringToLong(Support.java:54)
        at dk.hkj.vars.VarValueString.asLong(VarValueString.java:86)
        at dk.hkj.vars.Var.asLong(Var.java:214)
        at dk.hkj.script.FunctionsString$35.execute(FunctionsString.java:614)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseValue(Script.java:269)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseBitOp(Script.java:316)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseProduct(Script.java:388)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseSum(Script.java:475)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseCompare(Script.java:525)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseLogical(Script.java:561)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseQuestionMark(Script.java:587)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseExpression(Script.java:612)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.expression(Script.java:1220)
        ... 41 more

Thanks again

Offline aszasza

« Reply #2607 on: June 16, 2022, 06:44:49 pm »

To add a new copy one of the #metadef sections and change the values according, test it and if it works, post the #metadef section here and I will include it.

#metadef
#idString Riden,Riden DPS5005
#name Riden DPS5005
#handle DPS5005
#author aszasza + rachdatu
#replacetext ModelId 5005
#removeline 12A
#replaceText MaxCurrent 5.0
#replaceText MaxVoltage 50.00
#replaceText MaxOPP 265
#replaceText MaxOCP 5.2
#replaceText MaxOCV 51

It works like this, all settings and voltage, current ect values are okay.

For the DL24M-H:
With your new version the current glitches are gone, it works pretty well but the current lags by like 1-2 seconds, this is expected because of the filtering you do. I think this is a win! BUT, If I use the DL24M-H definition, setting the current still isn't working properly , but if I use the DL24P definition its all good. So my theory is that they have changed the protocol with the new firmvare, we need someone to confirm this. I'm looking at you vladobac :D

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2608 on: June 16, 2022, 07:08:38 pm »

You can get multiple "tx" for a single message, they are from different stages of the processing, the latest stage is from the COM port.

When using getElement() the input must be a string with a couple of values like: "34 45 67" then you select what number you need with getElement().

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2609 on: June 16, 2022, 07:13:50 pm »
For the DL24M-H:
With your new version the current glitches are gone, it works pretty well but the current lags by like 1-2 seconds, this is expected because of the filtering you do. I think this is a win! BUT, If I use the DL24M-H definition, setting the current still isn't working properly , but if I use the DL24P definition its all good. So my theory is that they have changed the protocol with the new firmvare, we need someone to confirm this. I'm looking at you vladobac :D

There is not supposed to be any lag, the retry is much less than a second.

The current DL24M-H definition only works with the upgraded software, I may change names in next release to something like:
"DL24M-H" for old/current software
"DL24M-H V2" for updated software
If you look in the definition file you can easily see how it works.

The protocol is changed with the firmware and I know most of it, except I am not sure if I have the current setting correct yet.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:18:51 pm by HKJ »

Offline aszasza

« Reply #2610 on: June 16, 2022, 07:37:54 pm »
There is not supposed to be any lag, the retry is much less than a second.

The protocol is changed with the firmware and I know most of it, except I am not sure if I have the current setting correct yet.

I'm not sure about others but mine is certainly quite slow to respond. Also, and this is interesting, if I run TC in debug mode the lag seems to be much less :-// not that this is a problem its just interesting...
I don't want to update mine unless you ask me to, so I can't comment on the protocol...

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2611 on: June 16, 2022, 07:48:18 pm »
I'm not sure about others but mine is certainly quite slow to respond. Also, and this is interesting, if I run TC in debug mode the lag seems to be much less :-// not that this is a problem its just interesting...
I don't want to update mine unless you ask me to, so I can't comment on the protocol...

Try logging at fast speed (0.01s) and then check the end of the table after a few minutes: What is the actual logging speed?

Offline aszasza

« Reply #2612 on: June 16, 2022, 08:59:37 pm »
Try logging at fast speed (0.01s) and then check the end of the table after a few minutes: What is the actual logging speed?

My bad, sorry. So, it turned out that the DPS5005 can only do 1 respond/2 seconds or so, while the DL24M-H (with DL24P config) does like 3-4 replies every second. I had both of them connected so the DPS slowed down TC.
The lag is just there when I have both of them running and reporting current values, on the chart the DPS values are coming in quicker for some reason that is why I thought that there is a lag...

Other:
Is there some kind of documentation how scripting works because I really like the battery test user script by Pukker (altough its not working for me for some reason), but I'd like to extend it so it can do n full cycle tests together with the DPS PSU and the DL24 load.
I mean, charge the battery fully with the PSU properly, full CC/CV cycle, wait some time, discharge the battery fully with the load, wait some time and charge it again and so on. All configurable of course. What do you think?
I think a LOT of people would find this very useful but I'm just too noob to be able to pull this off yet, but willing to learn. :)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2613 on: June 17, 2022, 06:48:43 am »
My bad, sorry. So, it turned out that the DPS5005 can only do 1 respond/2 seconds or so, while the DL24M-H (with DL24P config) does like 3-4 replies every second. I had both of them connected so the DPS slowed down TC.
The lag is just there when I have both of them running and reporting current values, on the chart the DPS values are coming in quicker for some reason that is why I thought that there is a lag...

You can get more detailed information about communication speed by using "#COMMANDTIME?" on the command line.

Is there some kind of documentation how scripting works because I really like the battery test user script by Pukker (altough its not working for me for some reason), but I'd like to extend it so it can do n full cycle tests together with the DPS PSU and the DL24 load.
I mean, charge the battery fully with the PSU properly, full CC/CV cycle, wait some time, discharge the battery fully with the load, wait some time and charge it again and so on. All configurable of course. What do you think?
I think a LOT of people would find this very useful but I'm just too noob to be able to pull this off yet, but willing to learn. :)

TestController has two languages, one for expressions and other calculating stuff, it is partially documented here: http://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerFunctions%20UK.html

The other language is the scripting language, this is all commands starting with # and it is documented in the help window. Type # and a list will be shown, type or use the INS key to insert a command. The help and INS will adjust as you type the command.
These commands do not support any math for their arguments, i.e. a command may require a numeric parameter, it has to be a number and cannot be something like 4*5 or a variable name, BUT you can switch to the calculator format by using parentheses, i.e. (4*5) is legal and will work.
In a few cases the parentheses are not needed, like in #IF that always expects a expression.

A easy way to start on scripting is to let TestController create the scripts for you. In the log window right click and select "Generate scripts". The list shown will vary depending on what popups are open. The "Log event" popup can generate a script to open itself or a script to do the same as "Log event". The last can be used to generate a charge and a discharge script and then manually combine them.

Not all power supplies are safe to use when charging batteries, some will discharge the batteries when output is turned off and it may even damage the power supply. In my testing I have a relay between the power supply and the battery and only turn on the relay when I am charging.

Offline vladobac

• Contributor
« Reply #2614 on: June 17, 2022, 12:21:49 pm »
A minor problem is only when entering the discharge current via the keypad via the setup menu TC 2.12. It only accepts divisible values ​​or multiples of 1024. (anything with the format of the entered data?).

I wonder if the format of the data is changed.
Try attached device definition.

You can see what I have changed just below: #metaSection Protocol2
If it do not work correctly you are welcome to experiment with the next few lines, they are the ones used to set and read current (Anything starting with ; is ignored)

I tried it.

After switching on the TC and clicking on the "Setup" button, the Is value is read from the DL24M-H or DL24P, which is currently lit on the load display.

The DL24M-H (updated) has the correct command to read the setpoint from the display: #scpiCmd setCurrent? rx? 0x17 /1000

The DL24P has the correct command to read the setpoint from the display: #scpiCmd setCurrent? rx? 0x17 /100

It is not advisable to change it, because the TC Setup window will have an incorrect value.

Second command:
#scpiCmd setCurrent tx 2 (value) *dd

sends the required value Is to the electronic load.
It works correctly with the DL25P, but the DL24M-H (updated) does not.
No adjustment can be made by adjusting this value (by dividing or multiplying by any coefficient). It is a nonlinear dependence. The problem is on the Chinese software. Only the creator of the Chinese program would be able to help.
But for me, this is a negligible problem. Most often I use one value of the discharge current, which I can easily set with the buttons on the display.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2615 on: June 17, 2022, 12:52:30 pm »
It works correctly with the DL25P, but the DL24M-H (updated) does not.
No adjustment can be made by adjusting this value (by dividing or multiplying by any coefficient). It is a nonlinear dependence. The problem is on the Chinese software. Only the creator of the Chinese program would be able to help.
But for me, this is a negligible problem. Most often I use one value of the discharge current, which I can easily set with the buttons on the display.

The DL24M-H uses the line with "#scpiCmd setCurrent tx 2 (value) *1000" to transmit the setting, the one above has a ; first on the line and is ignored.
The factor can be *dd, *10, *100 or *1000 nothing else and *dd is some special decimal encoding that is used on the DL25P and maybe or maybe not used on the DL24M-H

Offline vladobac

• Contributor
« Reply #2616 on: June 17, 2022, 01:10:40 pm »

With the updated DL24M-H, I have so few outages that it's irrelevant to me.
And does it also filter voltage, capacity and energy?

Offline vladobac

• Contributor
« Reply #2617 on: June 17, 2022, 01:24:04 pm »

Other:

I also want to produce a fully automated battery capacity measurement, but I have one big problem. Modern e-bike batteries do not have an output voltage at the terminals unless you connect all the components of the bike: the motor, the display and the speed sensor pulses. For now, I'm bypassing all this by connecting all this to the battery and at the same time connecting the electronic load. It's very non-technical, but I don't know how to fool it yet (I have no experience with programming). The battery has Tx and Rx pins, but I don't know how to communicate with it to connect to my load without it being like a real bike.

If I do not have a motor, display and speed sensor connected to the battery and I press the button on the battery to display the remaining capacity, voltage will appear at the battery output for a while, but if it does not get the correct answer (via pins Rx and Tx) from the motor and speed sensor, the battery disconnects.

Offline vladobac

• Contributor
« Reply #2618 on: June 17, 2022, 02:26:17 pm »

#metadef
#idString Riden,Riden DPS5005
#name Riden DPS5005
#handle DPS5005
#author aszasza + rachdatu
#replacetext ModelId 5005
#removeline 12A
#replaceText MaxCurrent 5.0
#replaceText MaxVoltage 50.00
#replaceText MaxOPP 265
#replaceText MaxOCP 5.2
#replaceText MaxOCV 51

It works like this, all settings and voltage, current ect values are okay.

For the DL24M-H:

I confirm that the discharge current cannot be set correctly on the M-H. Just like you. I also have a single-channel DL24P at home and it works correctly there.

Offline rachdatu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2619 on: June 17, 2022, 03:12:04 pm »

You can get multiple "tx" for a single message, they are from different stages of the processing, the latest stage is from the COM port.

When using getElement() the input must be a string with a couple of values like: "34 45 67" then you select what number you need with getElement().

Ok, no crash anymore...Still a problem to read the second combobox line:

:write: mytest ("\""+hex(getElement("0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12",value," "),4)+"\"")
combobox 1Cell 6 2cell 7 3cell 8 4cell 9 5cell 10 6cell 11 7cell 12

How do I read the second value of the multi combo with one (value) parameter?
Is there a second implicite value like value1 or something similar?

Thanks

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2620 on: June 17, 2022, 03:28:28 pm »
How do I read the second value of the multi combo with one (value) parameter?
Is there a second implicite value like value1 or something similar?

There is multiple values in the value variable, that is the reason you need the getElement()

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2621 on: June 17, 2022, 03:29:35 pm »
With the updated DL24M-H, I have so few outages that it's irrelevant to me.
And does it also filter voltage, capacity and energy?

No, I could add voltage, but capacity and energy would probably be a bad idea, because they change all the time.

Offline vladobac

• Contributor
« Reply #2622 on: June 17, 2022, 04:32:18 pm »
Netráp sa tým, je to pre mňa irelevantné. Toto ma trápi:

Chcem vyrobiť aj plne automatizované meranie kapacity batérie, no mám jeden veľký problém. Moderné batérie pre e-bike nemajú výstupné napätie na svorkách, pokiaľ nepripojíte všetky komponenty bicykla: motor, displej a impulzy snímača rýchlosti. Toto všetko zatiaľ obchádzam pripojením tohto všetkého k batérii a zároveň pripojením elektronickej záťaže. Je to veľmi netechnické, ale oklamať to zatiaľ neviem (nemám skúsenosti s programovaním). Batéria má piny Tx a Rx, ale neviem, ako s ňou komunikovať, aby som sa pripojil k mojej záťaži bez toho, aby bola ako skutočný bicykel.

Ak nemám k batérii pripojený motor, displej a snímač rýchlosti a stlačím tlačidlo na batérii pre zobrazenie zostávajúcej kapacity, na výstupe batérie sa na chvíľu objaví napätie, ale ak nedostane správnu odpoveď (cez piny Rx a Tx) od motora a snímača rýchlosti sa batéria odpojí.
Ak by mi niekto poradil ako na to alebo ma nasmeroval na nejaký správny web.

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #2623 on: June 17, 2022, 06:33:28 pm »
Hi, do you plan to include the Owon BT35/41 handhelds?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2624 on: June 17, 2022, 06:41:17 pm »
Hi, do you plan to include the Owon BT35/41 handhelds?

No, but check my notes here: http://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerSupportedEquipment%20UK.html
Somebody else has made it possible to use the Owen meters in TestController.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf