Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 489476 times)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #2675 on: July 16, 2022, 11:31:00 am »
V2.19 is up
It is mostly new devices, but there is also a few minor changes to the software.
   Added: Device "Search socket" will connect to unknown SCPI devices (They must return a answer to *idn?)
   Added: Increased digit support in formats from 9 to 15.
   Added: AIM-TTI TGF4042, AIM-TTI TGF4082, AIM-TTI TGF4162, AIM-TTI TGF4242 function generator (Thanks PL)
   Added: ATorch DL24-old, this definition was already present, but disabled.
   Added: parseSI() & parseHMS() functions.
   Added: ET5410A+ Electronic Load (Thanks PL)
   Added: R&S RTC1002, HMO1202 Oscilloscopes (Thanks PL)
   Added: Fluke 8845A DMM (Thanks aronake)
   Added: Fluke PM6685 Frequency counter (Thanks aronake)
   Added: Rigol DP832A power supply (Thanks aronake)
   Added: Peaktech 2025A DMM (Thanks Messtechniker)
   Added: Riden DPS5015 power supply and changed to #metadef format making it easy to add other Riden supplies (Thanks Pukker)
   Fixed: ATorch  DL24xxx no more dropouts
   Added: Mastech MS6514 thermometer (Thanks SpottedDick)

The "Search socket" got a extra function, it will now open a connection to any devices that answer a *idn? request on a known socket, even if the device is not known in TestController.
For the unknown devices it is possible to send (SCPI) commands and read the answers.

For the formats I have increased the number of possible digits, this is mostly for frequency counters.

Offline Cavhat

• Contributor
« Reply #2676 on: July 17, 2022, 01:34:19 am »
When I download the latest from your website, I get v.2.12 instead of 2.19--you may want to update your download link.

Offline robint

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2677 on: July 17, 2022, 01:58:57 am »
Hi HJK
followed your info
connected LAN from 34461a (switched on LAN etc) to my modem router 192.168.0.1  Virgin hub 3
I find my dmm at 192.168.0.25 - and DMM reports link ok.

but your app doesnt seem to talk to my router? |O
nothing is listed as connected?

have I set up your app properly?

btw THIS IS WHAT DEBUG.BAT SAID

;; jSerialComm version: 2.9.1
;; Start thread for: COM3
;; Stopping thread for: COM3
;; COM3: Close
;; Start thread for:  - Keysight 34461A
;; Start thread for: 192.168.0.25 - Keysight 34461A
;; Start thread for: 192.168.1.41 - Keysight 34461A
;; Stopping thread for: 192.168.1.41 - Keysight 34461A

;; Use "Load devices" page for selecting devices to load. Most devices will only load if they are connected and ready.
;; Stopping thread for: 192.168.0.25 - Keysight 34461A
;; Stopping thread for:  - Keysight 34461A
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 02:09:00 am by robint »
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing in the Lithium world

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2678 on: July 17, 2022, 04:34:15 am »
When I download the latest from your website, I get v.2.12 instead of 2.19--you may want to update your download link.

There must be a cache somewhere that delays the update. In my experience caches are usually updated within a hour, but here it is obvious much slower.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2679 on: July 17, 2022, 04:44:26 am »
Hi HJK
followed your info
connected LAN from 34461a (switched on LAN etc) to my modem router 192.168.0.1  Virgin hub 3
I find my dmm at 192.168.0.25 - and DMM reports link ok.

Try typing the command:
#DISCOVER?
On the command line in the "Commands" window.

have I set up your app properly?

btw THIS IS WHAT DEBUG.BAT SAID

;; jSerialComm version: 2.9.1
;; Start thread for: COM3
;; Stopping thread for: COM3
;; COM3: Close
;; Start thread for:  - Keysight 34461A
;; Start thread for: 192.168.0.25 - Keysight 34461A
;; Start thread for: 192.168.1.41 - Keysight 34461A
;; Stopping thread for: 192.168.1.41 - Keysight 34461A

;; Use "Load devices" page for selecting devices to load. Most devices will only load if they are connected and ready.
;; Stopping thread for: 192.168.0.25 - Keysight 34461A
;; Stopping thread for:  - Keysight 34461A

It looks like you have defined two meters on two different addresses (This is perfectly legal).

How is the network on your PC configured?
Open a DOS command line and type:
IPCONFIG

In this line you will probably want the 3 first groups to match the ones used in your meter and the last to be different*.
  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.190
If that is not the case, adjust the IP address on the meter.

*This depends on the line:
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
In the above case it is correct, but  if the last group is non-zero it is even more restricted.

The following users thanked this post: robint

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #2680 on: July 17, 2022, 01:05:37 pm »
@HKJ:
Some notes to add to the Peaktech 2025A definition file "Peaktech2025A.txt"
Should fit nicely in the Notes window :):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ensure that "RS232" on the Peaktech 2025A is off when "Test
Controller" is trying to detect the meter for the first time.

Remember to disable Auto Power Off (APO) for long term
logging: press and hold SELECT while switching the meter on.
Meter will beep after 15 minutes and several times thereafter
indicating that APO is off.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline robint

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2681 on: July 17, 2022, 01:51:29 pm »
Well thnx for trying and i followed your tips.  I tried a direct lan link to my laptop no luck then I concluded that the lan on my dmm is not responding to dhcp from ny laptop and it wont accept manual IP setting.  So this is too nerdy for me and would need a skilled it wizard who could check it properly.  Sadly I cant go any further with this and will live with dl the internal mem csv via my usb and just squirt that inti an excel sheet.  Bit clumsy and prone to blunders but I can live with it for now.  Maybe an Arduino nerd will have dabbled here. I was surprised what you could do on a breadboard.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing in the Lithium world

The following users thanked this post: jhaab

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2682 on: July 17, 2022, 05:27:38 pm »
Some notes to add to the Peaktech 2025A definition file "Peaktech2025A.txt"
Should fit nicely in the Notes window :):

They will be included in next release.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2683 on: July 17, 2022, 05:28:35 pm »
Well thnx for trying and i followed your tips.  I tried a direct lan link to my laptop no luck then I concluded that the lan on my dmm is not responding to dhcp from ny laptop and it wont accept manual IP setting.  So this is too nerdy for me and would need a skilled it wizard who could check it properly.  Sadly I cant go any further with this and will live with dl the internal mem csv via my usb and just squirt that inti an excel sheet.  Bit clumsy and prone to blunders but I can live with it for now.  Maybe an Arduino nerd will have dabbled here. I was surprised what you could do on a breadboard.

I would suggest getting some help and manually program a IP address on the meter.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2684 on: July 27, 2022, 04:09:11 pm »
Hi HKJ,

I am doing an update to the GW Instek ASR2000 driver file.  Depending on operating mode some Setup functions don't apply and the instrument throws a "SCPI Error" box up on the screen.  The method to clear this error box per GW Instek factory is to do:
   :SYST:ERR?
which retrieves the error at the top of the error stack/list and decrements the stack.  Once the list is empty the error box goes away and you can see things on the instrument screen again.

I tried to add a control to the Setup to send that command and display the error text for each button push.  Specifically, I tried:

#cmdSetup text SCPI_Error
:read: :SYST:ERR?
:write: :SYST:ERR?

As written above the second time you click the button you get :SYST:ERR? followed by the text box contents which then confuses the instrument throwing yet another error. 
Unfortunately, this command does not work without the "?".  Sending just :SYST:ERR also sets a SCPI Error.

Is there a control in TC that would allow
   Does nothing until you push the button
   When you push the button it sends just :SYST:ERR?
   After sending the query it displays the returned text string
   Next time you hit the button it sends just :SYST:ERR? with no other text including not the previous text string

If there is no standardized way to do this we can work around it.

Thanks.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2685 on: July 28, 2022, 06:44:12 am »
Is there a control in TC that would allow
   Does nothing until you push the button
   When you push the button it sends just :SYST:ERR?
   After sending the query it displays the returned text string
   Next time you hit the button it sends just :SYST:ERR? with no other text including not the previous text string

If there is no standardized way to do this we can work around it.

There is no control to inquire a value on demand, maybe that could be a useful addition.

But it is easy to get around your problem, there are 3 formats for commands:
:write: xxx
:write: xxx #
:write: xxx (value)
The first will add the value after the command, the second will replace # with the value, the 3. will use the calculator and the variable value will be replace with the value, but there is not requirement that you specify "value" in the parentheses, i.e. :write: xxx ( ) is valid and will not include any value.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2686 on: July 28, 2022, 12:27:21 pm »
HKJ,

Per your suggestions I tried the following control in TC Ver 2.19:

#cmdSetup text Clear_SCPI_Err
:write: :SYST:ERR? ()

When I click the Set button no message seems to be sent.  When I run in debug mode the log does not show a message being sent and only a long list of Java errors right after clicking the Set button:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" dk.hkj.script.ProgramExceptions$ExpectedException: Value
____<----____
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseValue(Script.java:284)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseBitOp(Script.java:316)
        at dk.hkj.script.Script.parseProduct(Script.java:388)
plus many more error lines

Seems like the empty ()'s cause issues and you do need to have something in the ()'s.  So, I changed it to have an empty string:
#cmdSetup text Clear_SCPI_Err
:write: :SYST:ERR? ("")
and that got rid of the Java errors.  But, the text box no longer shows any returned text even though there is returned text.  Below is from debug log:
;; ASR2100: Tx <:SYST:ERR?>
;; ASR2100: Rx <+0,"No error">
showing the returned text.  I would expect the text "+0,No error" would show in the text box but the text box remains blank/empty after every Set button click.

Removing the ("") from the above does work to display the returned text in the text box.  But,  you have to manually delete the existing text before clicking the set button.

So, any suggestions on how to get TestController to send no argument on the write from the Set button click and still display the returned text?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2687 on: July 28, 2022, 12:56:21 pm »
So, any suggestions on how to get TestController to send no argument on the write from the Set button click and still display the returned text?

I forgot the calculator don't like a empty expression.
Maybe the problem is that you send the command twice, once in the :write: and second in the :read:
Maybe you need to use some sort of dummy command in the :write:

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2688 on: July 28, 2022, 01:27:33 pm »
Good suggestion.  Really only want to do the read when clicking the button so the :write: really should be a no operation.  I changed the write to

:write: *IDN? ("")

and all seems working now.  I chose *IDN? since I did not know of a no opearation command to send and this one should have no side effects.

Not sure why the instrument did not like it before since sending

:SYST:ERR?;:SYST:ERR?

in TC's command line seems to work.

Thanks for your help.

Attached is the updated GW Instek ASR2000 device file to include in the next Test Controller release.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2689 on: July 28, 2022, 01:57:26 pm »
Good suggestion.  Really only want to do the read when clicking the button so the :write: really should be a no operation.  I changed the write to

:write: *IDN? ("")

and all seems working now.  I chose *IDN? since I did not know of a no opearation command to send and this one should have no side effects.

Not sure why the instrument did not like it before since sending

:SYST:ERR?;:SYST:ERR?

in TC's command line seems to work.

Thanks for your help.

Attached is the updated GW Instek ASR2000 device file to include in the next Test Controller release.

It will be included in the next release.

Did :SYST:ERR?;:SYST:ERR? return one or two copies of the message? My guess is one.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2690 on: July 28, 2022, 02:30:46 pm »
Fresh starting TC and doing :SYST:ERR?;:SYST:ERR? got two valid replies.  See below debug output.

;; +0,"No error"
;; +0,"No error"

I have sometimes seen odd behavior before with TC when a write returns a value.  Normally a write does not return a value but this instrument does not recognize :SYST:ERR without the "?"

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2691 on: July 28, 2022, 04:08:05 pm »
I have sometimes seen odd behavior before with TC when a write returns a value.  Normally a write does not return a value but this instrument does not recognize :SYST:ERR without the "?"

Generally using a ? command with :write: is not supposed to give any problems, the return value is supposed to be discarded.
For more tricky situations using the SCPIx driver with its commands (tx, txrx, txrx?...) is a solution.

Offline jmurray

• Contributor
« Reply #2692 on: August 01, 2022, 02:04:07 am »
Just want to provide some more praise for your work on this software - I am gradually amalgamating a lot of the test equipment at my work into an automated testing system to save time and remove human error - entirely based around TestController due to its flexbility.

I have a query:
One of our devices is an Itech IT8514C+ electronic load. While the included driver and definition file for this are reasonably comprehensive, there are a couple of functions I have found missing (specifically, set/read Von).
While I can implement this from SCPI, it would require me to write a whole new definition for the device, as the existing IT85xx driver uses frame/block communication. As far as I can understand, this is an "internal" driver - built into the .jar file - is that correct?
Is there any way for such drivers to be branched out into a separate directory structure or similar in future releases, so that they may be modified by end users? Or perhaps you could add these functions when you have the time?

The following is from the BK 8500 frame programming information:
1554856-0

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2693 on: August 01, 2022, 05:32:42 am »
I have a query:
One of our devices is an Itech IT8514C+ electronic load. While the included driver and definition file for this are reasonably comprehensive, there are a couple of functions I have found missing (specifically, set/read Von).
While I can implement this from SCPI, it would require me to write a whole new definition for the device, as the existing IT85xx driver uses frame/block communication. As far as I can understand, this is an "internal" driver - built into the .jar file - is that correct?
Is there any way for such drivers to be branched out into a separate directory structure or similar in future releases, so that they may be modified by end users? Or perhaps you could add these functions when you have the time?

That command is not documented in the Itech frame communication documentation and due to differences in protocol it do not use the same internal driver as BK. It is fairly trivial (for me) to add other commands to the implemented protocol, but I only want to add supported commands.
My ITech loads to not response to any SCPI commands, only to the frame communication. It makes me suspect the SCPI is implemented in the driver on the PC.

Offline jmurray

• Contributor
« Reply #2694 on: August 01, 2022, 06:49:52 am »
I didn't have a copy of the ITech frame protocol handy, but have just downloaded it from their website (after registering etc).

I have attached page 31 which lists the Von frame codes for the IT8500 series. They appear to match the frame commands for the BK.

Our ITech load also didn't respond to SCPI commands, until I changed it in the System menu: System > Protocol > FRAME | SCPI
1554913-1

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2695 on: August 01, 2022, 08:37:15 am »
I didn't have a copy of the ITech frame protocol handy, but have just downloaded it from their website (after registering etc).

I have attached page 31 which lists the Von frame codes for the IT8500 series. They appear to match the frame commands for the BK.

My Itech loads do not have a configuration setting for "Protocol", i.e. they must be frame protocol only.

You can download a new version of TestController (jar file only) here: http://lygte-info.dk/pic/Projects/TestController/TestController.jar use it to replace the old .jar file. Remember to check version (Configuration About), it must be v2.22 (Due to caching updates may not be immediately available)
It supports Von and I have added settings for it in the attached definition (They are on the "Mode limit" page).

The documentation is wrong, it list Von as a single byte setting!

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2696 on: August 04, 2022, 07:47:12 am »
I have this 10 Channel 12 bit "ADC_10_F103C".

It outputs the following:

Baud 115200/8/1/None

Maybe you want to include this item in TC.

Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2697 on: August 04, 2022, 08:22:54 am »
I have this 10 Channel 12 bit "ADC_10_F103C".

Maybe you want to include this item in TC.

It looks like it is easy to add with the block driver (https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice2%20UK.html#Binary_with_fixed_communication_blocks_(Block))

If you make a definition I will include it, but I am not sure it belongs in the main list, it is probably better on one of the DIY pages.

Where did you get it from?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 08:25:05 am by HKJ »

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2698 on: August 04, 2022, 12:40:47 pm »
Simply search "10 channel 12bit DAC USB". This item is carried by
amazon.de
de.aliexpress.com
joom.com
arduino-tech.com
chinaltech.com
ebay.de
and others when conducting a Germany-centric search.

It is available with many different names:
Dollatek USB
STM USB
Denash 10Kanal
STM32 UART ADC
and many others.

When things cool down a bit, I will try to make a definition
based on the block driver.

Which definition might be a useful starting point for a modification?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 12:43:46 pm by Messtechniker »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #2699 on: August 04, 2022, 01:23:23 pm »
When things cool down a bit, I will try to make a definition
based on the block driver.

Which definition might be a useful starting point for a modification?

The driver is fairly new and not many devices uses it.
One is: Mastech MS6514

The idea is to start on "CH0:" and then collect all 10 channels in one data block. Then you just need a line that parses the 10 values.
But I can see I am missing a parser for ascii floating point, I will add that and if you get started before I release a new version, you can ask for a .jar file with it. If the number between the channel and the volt is the ADC reading, you can use the ascii int parser and scale it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf