Author Topic: New EEVBlog-Branded Multimeter Coming?  (Read 166661 times)

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
Re: New EEVBlog-Branded Multimeter Coming?
« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2018, 10:36:30 am »
I think it's because you're demanding information about a final product that literally isn't in customers hands yet. And expected that reviewers would have review videos out before they actually have one in their hands to review. And then the "Looks like it was all kind of a secret?" line seemed to suggest that there was a conspiracy to keep you in the dark.

As for what various specs mean, that info is out there if you're willing to educate yourself. Search for "burden voltage", and you'll find plenty of explanations out there, some of them in video form. Ditto for almost any other technical aspect you're curious about.

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #276 on: January 01, 2018, 10:43:54 am »
And yet again you have missed what I have been saying.
I said that I understand that one of the things is burden voltage, but I am wondering what else.
I wasn't thinking about consumer reviews but info from Dave. I thought i missed the videos. I mean, this project lasts for two years, does it not?
And again, I am just interested about why would you do a project of two years when you already have the best multimeters in the world on your bench.  What is different (except burden voltage).
Is my english so bad?

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #277 on: January 01, 2018, 10:53:32 am »
And again, I am just interested about why would you do a project of two years when you already have the best multimeters in the world on your bench.  What is different (except burden voltage).

For example Bluetooth communication, 15V diode test (I've never seen that on other meters)

The following users thanked this post: mandor

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #278 on: January 01, 2018, 10:54:20 am »
To clarify further.
I thought the answers might be like:
1. Dave knows his stuff and he wanted to make it just because he can.
2. It is just another source if income as he is a full time youtuber and a pretty good meter for money.
3. The burden voltage improvement is good eanough reason for making such multimeter and reason to buy it
4. The precision, burden voltage, bluetooth... there really is no such combo on the market and people need it.
5. There is a lot of videos covering this made by Dave, but they are exclusive Patreon or Kickstarter supporter content.

Something along those lines. Just asking.

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #279 on: January 01, 2018, 10:57:22 am »
For example Bluetooth communication, 15V diode test (I've never seen that on other meters)

Cool, thanks!

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #280 on: January 01, 2018, 10:59:52 am »
The information video here is surely a good start:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eevblog/eevblog-121gw-multimeter

It's not about your English, we understand your questions OK. But the information is already out there. I don't know of any videos that are exclusive to Patreon or Kickstarter. All the information is public.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #281 on: January 01, 2018, 11:01:21 am »
The meter has many extra features, some of them you can also find on other meters, but not al of them in the same meter.
Some of the features are (I am probably missing some):
15V diode test
Bluetooth
SD card logging
Concurrent V and A measurement
Low burden voltage
Software in meter can be updated

The following users thanked this post: mandor

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #282 on: January 01, 2018, 11:04:25 am »
The information video here is surely a good start:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eevblog/eevblog-121gw-multimeter

It's not about your English, we understand your questions OK. But the information is already out there. I don't know of any videos that are exclusive to Patreon or Kickstarter. All the information is public.

Ok. So it is just those highlights that make it special.
Bluetooth, Android software, 15V diode test, low burden voltage, 50k count, good accuracy and overall good build that make it stand out.
As I don't really need any of those features I wasn't aware that it is not available elsewhere (for the price or what).
Ok, cool!
Sorry if I waqs a pain. :-)

Offline mandor

• Contributor
« Reply #283 on: January 01, 2018, 11:06:05 am »
The meter has many extra features, some of them you can also find on other meters, but not al of them in the same meter.
Some of the features are (I am probably missing some):
15V diode test
Bluetooth
SD card logging
Concurrent V and A measurement
Low burden voltage
Software in meter can be updated

Yep, i get it now. Thanks!

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #284 on: January 01, 2018, 11:15:12 am »
Possibly Apple, IOS software too? 👍

Thanks
Russ

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #285 on: January 01, 2018, 06:36:03 pm »
Possibly Apple, IOS software too? 👍

Thanks
Russ

If I recalled it correctly, it's written in Xamarin/C#, so there is no reason why it won't run on iOS if Dave is willing to pay for an iOS license of Xamarin.

I don’t know if I’ll ever outgrow my Eevblog/Brymen 235. But is so, the 121GW would be the first Meter I would consider.

Russ

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #286 on: January 02, 2018, 05:21:55 am »
Who is making the 121GW meter for Dave. What meters have they made in the past or do they currently make?

Thanks
Russ

Offline GameProgrammer79

• Contributor
    • IoT Daemon
« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2018, 06:49:46 pm »
Guys honestly I was following up on 121GW but doh  |O Holidays + YearEnd I missed when kick starter happed. The time I knew it was already over  :scared:

I have purchased a few multimeters last year, Fluke 87v, Extech EX540 and yes Uni-t ut171B. The last uni-t that I received is independently certified, and 0.025% class (that they claim at least). I was comparing the specs of all the above against Dave's 121GW, the 121GW is cool, desirable small form factor with some unique features, bluetooth + that EEVBlog Blue  :popcorn:

But I am at a loss when it comes accuracy - in 121GW manual, accuracy is mentioned to be different for each range. Where as for Fluke 87v it is same across the range and pretty good too, for ex: Resistance up to 50 M? @ ±(0.2% + 1), DC Voltage up to 1000 V @±(0.05% + 1)

But 121GW accuracy is different for different ranges. Resistance 50 M? range @ ±1.2%+20, DC voltage 600 V @ ±0.1% + 10

May be some one can clarify here.. are the other meters hiding the accuracy for different ranges ?

Folks I am getting back in Electronics game after 18 odd years :)

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2018, 06:55:27 pm »
It is very typical multimeters has lower accuracy at the extreme ranges.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #289 on: January 02, 2018, 07:04:11 pm »
It seems to me like Dave didn't choose this model for raw accuracy, it's more about versatility.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:06:26 pm by Fungus »

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #290 on: January 05, 2018, 12:39:43 am »
And yet again you have missed what I have been saying.
I said that I understand that one of the things is burden voltage, but I am wondering what else.
I wasn't thinking about consumer reviews but info from Dave. I thought i missed the videos. I mean, this project lasts for two years, does it not?
Is my english so bad?

Just RTFM !!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #291 on: January 05, 2018, 12:50:01 am »
Guys honestly I was following up on 121GW but doh  |O Holidays + YearEnd I missed when kick starter happed. The time I knew it was already over  :scared:
I have purchased a few multimeters last year, Fluke 87v, Extech EX540 and yes Uni-t ut171B. The last uni-t that I received is independently certified, and 0.025% class (that they claim at least). I was comparing the specs of all the above against Dave's 121GW, the 121GW is cool, desirable small form factor with some unique features, bluetooth + that EEVBlog Blue  :popcorn:
But I am at a loss when it comes accuracy - in 121GW manual, accuracy is mentioned to be different for each range. Where as for Fluke 87v it is same across the range and pretty good too, for ex: Resistance up to 50 M? @ ±(0.2% + 1), DC Voltage up to 1000 V @±(0.05% + 1)
But 121GW accuracy is different for different ranges. Resistance 50 M? range @ ±1.2%+20, DC voltage 600 V @ ±0.1% + 10
May be some one can clarify here.. are the other meters hiding the accuracy for different ranges ?

Higher end meters use custom laser trimmed ceramic hybrid divider networks, this likely results in the ability to more confidently state a specification over all the ranges.

The following users thanked this post: GameProgrammer79

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #292 on: January 05, 2018, 12:52:46 am »

Protek 608 had 20V diode mode (if the battery was fresh).

If I remember correctly, the later model (protek 610/620) sadly dropped the high voltage diode mode, but added 100k count and datalogging. Was an amazing meter for the price: https://www.tequipment.net/Protek620.asp
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #293 on: January 05, 2018, 12:55:53 am »
Just got shipping notification for mine ex Sydney :-+

I own 3 handheld cheaper meters already two of which are also datalogging ones. An Agilent 34401 and a pair of 34970A Loggers with 6.5 digit multimeter cards fitted.

Yet I ordered one of these!

It fits has a great feature set already and an app that I am sure will become a great add on as it develops. It's accuracy spec is far better than my current handhelds so for taking in my gear bag to outside jobs or day to day use on the bench it made a lot of sense. My claggy old Jaycar toolbag one will continue until it dies as it is more than up to field use and if it gets broken care factor is zero.

If you are expecting 6 digits plus of accuracy go buy one 'as well'  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline lloyd61

« Reply #294 on: January 05, 2018, 09:06:27 pm »
Sorry if I have missed the announcement or information, but when will the general public, who were not part of the funding project, be able to place an order for one of these beauties.

The shop still only lists the older model.

Lloyd

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #295 on: January 05, 2018, 09:37:00 pm »
Sorry if I have missed the announcement or information, but when will the general public, who were not part of the funding project, be able to place an order for one of these beauties.

It is a bit unclear. If UEi will produce it after the kickstarter, then not before March 2018 most likely.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline GameProgrammer79

• Contributor
    • IoT Daemon
« Reply #296 on: January 06, 2018, 03:05:33 pm »

Higher end meters use custom laser trimmed ceramic hybrid divider networks, this likely results in the ability to more confidently state a specification over all the ranges.

Hi Dave, Please do plan to release a high accuracy version of 121GW, may be comparable to flagships like Fluke87v. I won't mind paying another USD 80-100 premium for it. Fluke sells for USD380, still it will be competitive to most of the similar accuracy meters on the market.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:07:28 pm by GameProgrammer79 »
Folks I am getting back in Electronics game after 18 odd years :)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #297 on: January 07, 2018, 09:19:26 am »
Seems Australia post has stuffed up my Thursday this week delivery for the meter.

Turns out it is currently 12km from my place in the AP depot. Wonder where my Balaclava and Baseball bat is to collect it 15 hours early  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #298 on: January 07, 2018, 10:48:01 am »

It is a bit unclear. If UEi will produce it after the kickstarter, then not before March 2018 most likely.

They simply can't make enough f them due to parts availability.
Any available stock goes to Kickstarters first.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #299 on: January 07, 2018, 10:49:54 am »

Protek 608 had 20V diode mode (if the battery was fresh).

If I remember correctly, the later model (protek 610/620) sadly dropped the high voltage diode mode, but added 100k count and datalogging. Was an amazing meter for the price: https://www.tequipment.net/Protek620.asp

Interesting:
"Due to the unreliability of Protek producing this item on time we have discontinued this unit."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf