Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3076890 times)

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #525 on: August 16, 2015, 02:07:07 am »
So after a little search this product seems to be a Garmin Dakota. ( https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod30925.html )
With some filtering I got this image from the video:

Looks like a Garmin Approach. The title of the same Vimeo video is "Golf Device" (http://tinyurl.com/qcqmhkm), so the device might be a Garmin Approach G3: http://tgiblackfriday.com/Costco/Garmin-Approach-G3-Golf-GPS-deal

Edit: manual is from 2009, it has a setting for the battery type (page 7) : http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/ApproachG3_OwnersManual.pdf
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:12:04 am by FrankBuss »
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #526 on: August 16, 2015, 08:39:01 am »
Yep, definitely a Garmin Approach, great work seeing that!

Might be a good idea to have a separate thread "Batteriser Claims Debunked" to sort and categorise the information and tests you've all done and found!

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #527 on: August 16, 2015, 08:54:29 am »
Someone should buy that device and test it.  >:D >:D >:D

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #528 on: August 16, 2015, 09:39:20 am »
Someone should buy that device and test it.  >:D >:D >:D

Alexander.

14 days return policy on all online purchases in the EU! Test and return, no money lost!

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #529 on: August 16, 2015, 11:55:10 pm »
For those who want to know who runs the Batteroo "Fan Page", and also how much they have spent developing it so far:

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #530 on: August 17, 2015, 12:05:11 am »
how did they get "racist" out of any of this? American has nothing to do with race..
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline photon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #531 on: August 17, 2015, 12:09:44 am »
I looked up the Batteriser's corporate address. It is located next to a Lowe's Home Improvement store in Sunnyvale, CA. This store is located on the sight where Signetics had a corporate address, their FAB and their R&D. How sad is that!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 08:07:18 am by photon »

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #532 on: August 17, 2015, 12:51:32 am »
For those who want to know who runs the Batteroo "Fan Page", and also how much they have spent developing it so far:

Batteroo folks,

Spending hundreds of thousands does not justify the making a litany of claims that any reasonable person familiar in the art cannot reproduce.

If these claims were reproducible, I would readily admit so and condemn the device manufacturer for shipping something so wasteful. Instead, what we see is that most manufacturers have excellent battery management practices. If partially depleted batteries are being disposed of, it is a human behavior issue not a device design issue.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:29:38 am by LabSpokane »

Offline Mayo2017

• Contributor
« Reply #533 on: August 17, 2015, 12:57:30 am »

Dave, and those curious:
I had a conversation with a "fan" who just so happened to have registered on YouTube yesterday, is only subscribed to that Batteriser Bateroo channel, and is ALSO a friend of the inventor's son at the same university... and it was an interesting one. Screencapped it out of the YT alert box since the video comments don't show the whole string.

This is... probably the most relevant, but also the most family-friendly bit.

Imgur link to the full conversation in the interest of not taking up the entire thread with a picture.
STRONG language warning:

Edit: Were more replies since I took those screencaps, but they're just more vulgar posturing about "I'm just defending my free speech and a company I believe in" and such.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:11:23 am by Mayo2017 »

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #534 on: August 17, 2015, 01:02:07 am »
the use of "your" instead of "you're" is kind of offensive
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Alexander.e.hiller

« Reply #535 on: August 17, 2015, 01:28:42 am »
Brad Jones fought with me as well! Sounds a lot like your conversation with him. I attached it below (please excuse the poor photo-shopping, I was using paint!)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:34:40 am by Alexander.e.hiller »

Offline Mayo2017

• Contributor
« Reply #536 on: August 17, 2015, 01:34:28 am »
Brad Jones fought with me as well!

By our powers combined, we... really attracted the attention of a serious nutcase.

I can't wait to make a screencap compilation of this whole debacle we got ourselves into.
He'll use his Visual Basic GUI Interface to track down our IP addresses. :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:45:22 am by Mayo2017 »

Offline Hugoneus

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
« Reply #537 on: August 17, 2015, 01:55:06 am »
This is clearly just a kid, doesn't know any better nor is he an expert in any meaningful way. I would just leave him alone and focus on understanding what can and can't be done with state-of-the-art DC-DC converters. It looks like about 5% to 10% increased battery life is possible in some circumstances. If that was their claim, that would have been Ok. But 800% is beyond ridiculous.

Offline Mayo2017

• Contributor
« Reply #538 on: August 17, 2015, 01:57:56 am »
This is clearly just a kid, doesn't know any better nor is he an expert in any meaningful way. I would just leave him alone and focus on understanding what can and can't be done with state-of-the-art DC-DC converters. It looks like about 5% to 10% increased battery life is possible in some circumstances. If that was their claim, that would have been Ok. But 800% is beyond ridiculous.

Sorry, but I'm not of the opinion that people involved with scams taking 6 figures and up out of people who don't know better should be left alone in any respect.

Offline Hugoneus

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
« Reply #539 on: August 17, 2015, 02:21:47 am »

Sorry, but I'm not of the opinion that people involved with scams taking 6 figures and up out of people who don't know better should be left alone in any respect.

This kid is not involved. He is just a friend of the son of the "inventor". He is excited about the idea of working in this company and he has invested a lot of emotion and pride in it. He is otherwise not involved.

The focus should be in representing the truth to the public and addressing those who actually are making the claims.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #540 on: August 17, 2015, 03:06:03 am »

This kid is not involved. He is just a friend of the son of the "inventor". He is excited about the idea of working in this company and he has invested a lot of emotion and pride in it. He is otherwise not involved.

The focus should be in representing the truth to the public and addressing those who actually are making the claims.

Yup.  Please, just leave the kids alone.  They are defending their parents and friends' parents.  That's natural and understandable.  I am certain that this young man truly believes in this product. 

I have addressed Bob directly in these posts because it is acutely obvious that he is reading them and responding on the Batteroo and Indiegogo sites.  Still, we must be respectful.  I apologize if my lighthearted jabs precipitated any decline in behavior into personal attacks.

So, please oh please, do not tussle with their friends or family members!  It's just not right.  Let's elevate the discussion.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #541 on: August 17, 2015, 04:14:11 am »
Imgur link to the full conversation in the interest of not taking up the entire thread with a picture.
STRONG language warning:

Edit: Were more replies since I took those screencaps, but they're just more vulgar posturing about "I'm just defending my free speech and a company I believe in" and such.

Mr Roohparvar and his company need to seriously disassociate themselves with these people who have now stepped it up to what amounts to possibly criminal threats of violence, however childish they may be. This "fan page" and their followers, all who by their own admission have said they have a close relationship to Batteroo, are bringing serious disrepute to their company image. Batteriser are allowing this "fan page" to talk in the first person as if they are them. If they have any sense at all they will put an end to this immediately.
I can't believe the former director of K-Mark Warren Flick who is their "Chief Strategy Officer" is letting this debarcle continue, let alone Mr Roohparvar and his brother.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:35:47 am by EEVblog »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #542 on: August 17, 2015, 04:34:30 am »
This "Brad Jones" character claming to be affiliated with Batteriser / Batteroo or their founders sounds nothing more than a teenage script kiddie. He's rather amusing actually -- I love the bit about "tracing IP addresses"  :-DD Pure gold. Oooh how I'd love if he could *actually* do as he says, he'd have a rude shock.

This whole Batteriser thing has moved from being a scam right through idiotic to downright entertaining. Someone should make a YouTube comedy series based on their original videos.

*Queue Benny Hill music*
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:36:08 am by Halcyon »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #543 on: August 17, 2015, 06:55:50 am »
RE: Spending "hundreds of thousands on patents and lawyers"

And then they only needed $30,000 more from IndieGoGo to get it going?  :-DD

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #544 on: August 17, 2015, 07:09:16 am »
Did anyone ordered from the campaign?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #545 on: August 17, 2015, 08:10:28 am »
Check out the blog thing on their Youtube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFr9QYi8Yq2ckWYPx_Vui8A

"Pls stand by we are in a process of releasing a video with the technical explanation for all engineers on how Batteriser works, while at first glance, it seems implausible, I am sure that real genuine engineers will appreciate our whiteboard technical discussions along with simulation, data matching battery companies spec sheets, in conjunction with device data. Of course, those whose revenue will be reduced by our technology will do everything to divert attention"

I wonder if it will be released before or after the end of their IndieGoGo campaign.  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 08:16:32 am by Fungus »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #546 on: August 17, 2015, 11:17:54 pm »
Check out the blog thing on their Youtube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFr9QYi8Yq2ckWYPx_Vui8A

"Pls stand by we are in a process of releasing a video with the technical explanation for all engineers on how Batteriser works, while at first glance, it seems implausible, I am sure that real genuine engineers will appreciate our whiteboard technical discussions along with simulation, data matching battery companies spec sheets, in conjunction with device data. Of course, those whose revenue will be reduced by our technology will do everything to divert attention"

I wonder if it will be released before or after the end of their IndieGoGo campaign.  :popcorn:

I particularly love their use of the English language. So professional!  :palm:

What I find funny is why their "engineers" need to explain it to other (actual) engineers?  :-//

Sounds like Batteriser / Batteroo are in serious damage control. They might actually realise themselves if their "real genuine engineers" conduct their "whiteboard technical discussions", simulations and "data matching" correctly, that their product is an epic fail.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment of 'Funniest Home Videos'...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:20:58 pm by Halcyon »

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #547 on: August 17, 2015, 11:52:11 pm »

EDIT: Fixed broken image link.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 11:28:41 am by rs20 »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #548 on: August 18, 2015, 01:09:56 am »
This "Brad Jones" character claming to be affiliated with Batteriser / Batteroo or their founders sounds nothing more than a teenage script kiddie.

And he has multiple accounts.
He is now spamming my channel with comments like this.
My latest video had the exact same comment from both "Brad Jones" and "David Parish". What an idiot.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #549 on: August 18, 2015, 01:22:39 am »
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:36:41 pm by Muttley Snickers »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf