Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests  (Read 154030 times)

Offline roberthh

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests
« Reply #275 on: November 27, 2020, 07:23:51 am »
Please Edit your post to include the firmware version.
Looking at the screen picture's display of the channel it looks like 1.3.7R5.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #276 on: November 27, 2020, 07:57:13 am »
Please Edit your post to include the firmware version.
Looking at the screen picture's display of the channel it looks like 1.3.7R5.
Maybe so but we must train some to include the FW version always.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline kladit

• Contributor
« Reply #277 on: November 27, 2020, 08:28:11 am »
Indeed firmware is revision 1.3.7R5. I wrote this already I think.

An automatism should switch to normal mode if bode plot gets selected.
I believe this will be easy to realize in a further firmware revision.

Another point I have found is, the second channel of the SDG is forgotten to be switched
on at bode plot. One has to do that manually, then all is fine.

In normal mode and bode plot all works very fine now, good dynamic range, fine resolution.
Did some fine measuerments already.

This is the plot of an 9th order elliptic high pass filter.

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

The SDS2104X-Plus is a very good instrument of great complexity and therefore
it is normal/natrual that there are some quirks, but we know that these will be fixed
by Siglent in a time that can be experienced.

This gives me the good feeling to have not bet on the wrong horse.

I also own an SDG6054x and an SSA3021x and I am very satisfied about
what measurement power /accuracy I have got for my money.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 08:36:05 am by kladit »

Offline DL2XY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #278 on: November 27, 2020, 01:48:41 pm »
 SDS2204 revision 1.3.7R5 + SDG6052.

Bode Plot:

Target IP is not persistive. Editing is cumberstone, first you have to clear the whole field with backspace, switch to Symbol and type in  the whole IP character by character.

Entering Bodeplot switches the associated input channels to AC and Fine Adjust. It does not restore input settings after leaving Bode Plot.

Dispite of sope upgrade to 500Mhz,  max. Frequency is limited to 120 MHz. This make Bodeplot unusable for HAM Radio applications in 2m and 70cm Bands.

Offline kladit

• Contributor
« Reply #279 on: November 27, 2020, 03:25:00 pm »
@dl2xy

"Dispite of sope upgrade to 500Mhz,  max. Frequency is limited to 120 MHz. This make Bodeplot unusable for HAM Radio applications in 2m and 70cm Bands."

This sadly is true. I have to confirm Bode plot is limitited  to a range of up to 120 MHz with my also 'upgraded' SDS2104x PLUS.  (firmware 1.3.7R5)

Higher frequencies are then the business of a vector analyzer ..

Anyhow I am happy I have got this feature surrounded by a very good 500 MHz scope as well.

The all in one box (for nearly no money) remains a dream (for now ..).

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:37:47 pm by kladit »

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2020, 08:04:34 pm »
@ kaldit,

That's exactly what I did, except I only have the SDG2042X. The SDG upgraded to 120MHz, the SDS is upgraded to 350MHz for now, I'll upgrade to 500MHZ later when I need the extra BW. The SSA upgraded to 3.2GHz and VNA enabled. I'm new to Siglent, and at first a little concerned about going with an unknown brand to me (only used HP/Agilent/KS, Tek, Fluke and R&S gear before retiring) but every one of these instruments has exceeded my expectations.

BTW this reminds me if folks are interested, need to put together (for the Bode Plot) an interesting active filter that creates a 3rd Order Butterworth Low Pass with 3 equal value resistors and 3 equal value capacitors, swapping the resistors and capacitors converts to a 3rd Order Butterworth High Pass, all based upon the polynomial S^3 + 2*S^2 +2*S +1.

Good choices,

Best,

Edit: Just upgraded the SDS to 500MHz with the kind help from tv84. Did a quick BW measurement, the 500MHz is a fib!!!! It's ~615MHz :o :-+

Mike
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:46:40 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline roberthh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #281 on: November 29, 2020, 04:34:22 pm »
SDS2104x-plus, 1.3.7R5, Manchester Decoder

On additional note about that decoder, which I forgot. It works mostly right. Just the last byte of a message will not be decoded, unless at least one trailing bit follows. It may not be a real issue if all practical applications send a few trailing bits after the last data bit. But the trailing bit is not needed for decoding.

Edit: It depends on the value of the last bit sent, whether the last byte will be decoded well.

But: Other decoder products like in the Saleae Logic software of the KingstVIS software do not have that limitation in decoding.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:19:50 pm by roberthh »

Offline casterle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #282 on: December 08, 2020, 06:02:18 am »
I originally posted the message below in a new thread (Siglent SDS2104X Plus, major last minute concern); Martin72 kindly suggested I might do better here. I have since learned that Siglent has indicated they will implement decode search at some point.

I have now read all the messages in this thread and I'm still concerned, even with the assurance of that feature's future arrival. For my use the logic analyzer section of this scope is at least as important as the analog section. I don't have experience working with the various protocols I'll face, so I'm in trouble if the (correctly configured) instrument doesn't trigger & decode correctly when fed a proper signal.

I've seen reports of decodes failing on the Siglent while succeeding on other brands, and folks far more knowledgeable than me arguing as to whether or not this or that is a bug. Some seem to feel that one shouldn't expect the LA to function as well as it would in dedicated product.

Can I count on the LA to be a solid product, one that works as reliably as a dedicated unit? Can I count on Siglent to fix decoding/triggering bugs in the LA?

As a fallback, is there some way I can get the scope to stream data to the PC so I can handle it with something like sigrok/PusleView?

<Original Post>

Having assured myself that I can adapt to (or even learn to love) the 'Siglent/PicoScope' sample buffering strategy, I was ready to pull the trigger, but...I just read that the scope can't search decoded data? Is this true? Searching for 'search' in the manual isn't reassuring.

This seems a glaring omission. It never occurred to me Siglent would go to the effort to support these wonderful triggers and decodes, yet provide no way to examine the decoded data!

If the search hasn't been expanded to include this very necessary (for me) feature by now, must I assume it never will be? I guess I must.

I certainly don't want to export files to my PC just to search my data! Are there work-arounds - perhaps I can stream to something like sigrok/PulseView? While not a perfect solution, I guess I could live with that.

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #283 on: December 08, 2020, 08:39:00 am »
Hello,

Maybe it will be more effective than my requests to Rigol ....

It would be really great to do like R&S concerning the pass/fail test, namely to add the elapsed time.
It would be very very practical in some cases for me :)
If Siglent adds this little cherry on the cake, they will have my eternal respect  :-*

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #284 on: December 08, 2020, 09:09:21 am »
Hello,

It would be really great to do like R&S concerning the pass/fail test, namely to add the elapsed time.
If Siglent adds this little cherry on the cake, they will have my eternal respect  :-*

While doing that it would be pretty much trivial to add statistics:

Offline jbauman

« Reply #285 on: December 09, 2020, 04:20:48 pm »
 I originally posted this in the "General Siglent Support Thread" but thought this might be a better place for it.

I just recently got a new SDS2104X Plus scope, firmware version 1.3.7R5. The very first project I wanted to use it on has a serial data link which I hooked up to with the intention of decoding it with the logic analyzer UART decode function.

As it turns out this data link is using 125000 baud 9N1 serial settings, but the UART decode configuration only allows a maximum data length of 8. Everything else was configurable to match my situation except for the data length.

Would it be possible for Siglent to add 9-bit data length in a future firmware release?

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #286 on: December 11, 2020, 11:42:43 pm »
Add fine tune timebase ability, please. A very useful option when you get used R&S and Keysight.  Since "pressing the timebase  knob" is already used to switch windows in "zoom mode", it would be possible to  add  a "Coarse" checkbox to the OSD menu, as it is done for vertical adjustment.

Also, I join the request to make "9 bits" for UART decoding, the 9-bit format is not so rarely used.

Max.

Offline roberthh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #287 on: December 12, 2020, 03:34:21 pm »
@rf-loop
This mysterious secret button name is "Trig"

Nearly every scope I have used in my life have been this simple button.

This loved child have many names... aka "force trig"  or "manual trig" or what ever...
I just noticed that, when in single trigger state waiting for a trigger, pushing the "single" button again forces a sweep, and the device goes to stop mode.

So it's kind of what you liked to see.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #288 on: December 16, 2020, 11:26:31 am »
Since the SDS5000X and the SDS2000X+ share the same software and this thread has much more attention, I dare to re-post my feature requests here:

• It would be great if not only the threshold for measurements was selectable but also the polarity. While it's nice that e.g. there is a positive and negative duty cycle measurement (which is missing even in some 1st brand scopes), there is e.g. no polarity selection for frequency. One might argue that polarity doesn't matter for frequency but this isn't generally true. E.g. a square wave created with a low side driver and a pullup will have a steeper and more stable falling edge. There are also mechanical systems measured with hall sensors where only the accuracy of one edge is well defined.
    In a nutshell, I'd suggest to make polarity (or polarities) parameter(s) of all the horizontal measurement instead of using separate measurements to select polarity. This would also make the delay measurements much more manageable.
  • I wonder if there is any chance to mimic the LeCroy way of zooming into a detail (by dragging a rectangle around the part of the signal you want to see). While you can get used to anything I guess, after more of a decade of using the LeCroy way of zooming, the Siglent way feels off.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #289 on: December 16, 2020, 11:53:30 am »
@rf-loop
This mysterious secret button name is "Trig"

Nearly every scope I have used in my life have been this simple button.

This loved child have many names... aka "force trig"  or "manual trig" or what ever...
I just noticed that, when in single trigger state waiting for a trigger, pushing the "single" button again forces a sweep, and the device goes to stop mode.

So it's kind of what you liked to see.

Of course I know this. Double push "single" in Siglent is partially as "force trig" but it is not same what is usual manual trig force button in many scopes, digitals and analogs. Of course I can be wrong and still need learn something after 60 years with oscilloscopes. I am never ready made.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline roberthh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #290 on: December 16, 2020, 04:47:56 pm »
I wonder if there is any chance to mimic the LeCroy way of zooming into a detail (by dragging a rectangle around the part of the signal you want to see). While you can get used to anything I guess, after more of a decade of using the LeCroy way of zooming, the Siglent way feels off.
That sounds good and is an intuitive approach for a touch supported device. It also happens to me quite often that Zoom starts a too much zoomed level, and I have to dial back a lot.

Offline roberthh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #291 on: December 16, 2020, 04:51:44 pm »
Double push "single" in Siglent is partially as "force trig" but it is not same what is usual manual trig force button in many scopes, digitals and analogs.
Of course it's not the same.  It requires too many pushes to be convenient. The scope then changes to stop mode, so you have to set the device back to single mode. And there is nothing compatible in Normal mode.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #292 on: December 16, 2020, 09:14:16 pm »
Feature:

THD/SHD viewing in FFT mode in %

Would be a very nice thing to have, makes it easier when you musn´t do this manually...
(At work, I shift the groundwave to "0dB" and then counting the harmonics and calculate the value in %)
Should be relatively easy to implement it in the software.

Offline Keith956

• Regular Contributor
    • peardrop design systems
« Reply #293 on: December 18, 2020, 01:49:56 pm »
Just got a SDS2104X+ and have been trying out the Bode plot facility. That is actually better in some respects than my other scope (RTM3k) which is limited to the internal gen at 25MHz max. Not that you can use it that much higher as probes start giving increasingly erratic results at higher frequencies. It is quite a bit slower than the R&S though.

But one thing that is irritating is the 'Operation'  switch. I can't see the point of having it run continuously; a simple 'Run' button (or even make use of the trigger Run button) would make things much more user friendly.

The following users thanked this post: maxspb69

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #294 on: December 18, 2020, 03:36:09 pm »
Hello,

Not familiar with the pass/fail tests, but a timestamp on the fails would be really useful.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #295 on: December 25, 2020, 08:32:40 pm »
SDS2104XP - 1.3.7R5

I couldn't find it anywhere, so: I want to be able to disable the pop-up confirmation boxes. For example, for default or auto setup, I want it to happen as soon as I hit the button, no pop-up needed.

Here's a silly thing that should be adjusted. If two channels have labels, only one will be visible if the channels line up. The labels should be offset. Images attached.

Thanks,
Josh
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline casterle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #296 on: December 26, 2020, 06:32:02 am »
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright
I haven't watch Mr. Wright in ages. Thanks for reminding me to head to YouTube and enjoy a performance or two!

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #297 on: December 26, 2020, 08:40:05 am »
Bug: moving the waveform around on the screen (vertically or horizontally), regardless of how many other things are being displayed, should be buttery smooth and fluid, and the same is true for changing the timebase and volts/div.  It would be an excuse if the scope continued to capture and process data while these operations were being performed, but the plain fact is that when you're performing these operations, the scope seems to stop everything in its tracks, at least from what I can tell.  It nukes the history buffer, it stops all triggering (as determined by monitoring the trigger output), and seems to stop all other processing.  This means there is no excuse in the slightest for these operations to be anything other than instantaneous and buttery smooth, because these operations seem to have the CPU all to themselves while one is moving the controls.  The scope should resume operation some small (from the point of view of the user) but significant (from the point of view of the scope) amount of time after one stops moving the knobs, e.g. a tenth of a second later or something, so that responsiveness remains maximized while the user is moving the controls.   It may be that the scope already behaves this way but that the amount of time allowed before processing is resumed is too small, in which case this feature request is just a request to increase that "dead time".

Feature request: single-shot captures should always use the entirety of the scope's memory, irrespective of the timebase setting.  The reason is that hitting the "single" button will nuke the history, thus automatically eliminating any reason to not use that memory, and hitting "normal" or "auto" afterwards will likewise nuke the single frame that was captured via "single", thus eliminating any reason for limiting the memory size of the single capture.  As such, the act of performing a single capture under the current implementation guarantees that all of the memory not needed for the time window represented by the display will be completely unused.   In light of this, it is clearly appropriate for the scope to begin sampling immediately upon the "single" button being pressed and for the sampling to continue after the trigger fires until half of the memory is used for pre-trigger data and half of the memory is used for post-trigger data (or, when the amount of time between the "single" button being pressed and the time the trigger fires is less than half the time represented by all available memory at the current sampling rate, then the remaining memory not used by pre-trigger data would be filled with post-trigger data).

Feature request: with the scope stopped, serial decoding enabled, and while zoomed into a section of the capture (whether or not in zoom mode), and with the decode list enabled, make it possible for a press of the multifunction knob to move the view to the currently selected list entry.  Right now, pressing the knob does nothing, and it clearly would be useful to be able to instantaneously move to the currently selected list item.  As a general rule, if you have a list of events that derive from the capture and you're zoomed into the capture, selecting a list item in the above manner should always take you to the location of the event represented by the list item.  So this isn't necessarily going to be limited to serial decoding events -- it could be anything at all.

Feature request: right now, the maximum trigger rate is primarily determined by the time window represented by the screen (as determined by the timebase settings).  The more time the screen represents, the longer the minimum amount of time between trigger events seen by the scope.  The end result is that the more time one wants to capture, the longer the amount of time between captures.   The lower bound on the time between captures is thus the time represented by the display, and it appears that the trigger is not re-armed until the amount of time represented by the screen has elapsed.  But this needn't be the case at all, and shouldn't be the case.  Rather, the amount of time before the trigger is re-armed should be the amount of time between the current trigger location and the right edge of the screen.  Meaning, the closer to the right edge of the screen you move the trigger point, the more quickly it should re-arm the trigger.  Once the time passes the right edge of the screen, the current memory buffer should be saved and the trigger should be re-armed.   While this could result in back-to-back captures containing overlapping time regions, it could (if the amount of time between trigger location and the right edge of the screen is small enough) greatly increase the trigger event rate without changing the basic principle of operation that says that the size of the capture is defined by the time width of the screen.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 08:51:04 am by kcbrown »

The following users thanked this post: maxspb69

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #298 on: December 26, 2020, 11:55:51 am »
Feature request: right now, the maximum trigger rate is primarily determined by the time window represented by the screen (as determined by the timebase settings).  The more time the screen represents, the longer the minimum amount of time between trigger events seen by the scope.  The end result is that the more time one wants to capture, the longer the amount of time between captures.   The lower bound on the time between captures is thus the time represented by the display, and it appears that the trigger is not re-armed until the amount of time represented by the screen has elapsed.  But this needn't be the case at all, and shouldn't be the case.  Rather, the amount of time before the trigger is re-armed should be the amount of time between the current trigger location and the right edge of the screen.  Meaning, the closer to the right edge of the screen you move the trigger point, the more quickly it should re-arm the trigger.  Once the time passes the right edge of the screen, the current memory buffer should be saved and the trigger should be re-armed.   While this could result in back-to-back captures containing overlapping time regions, it could (if the amount of time between trigger location and the right edge of the screen is small enough) greatly increase the trigger event rate without changing the basic principle of operation that says that the size of the capture is defined by the time width of the screen.

Let's think about this one, shall we...

It is not a analog scope. Retrigger time on digital scope is pretty much nil. Keysight 3000T actually triggers at 20MHz trigger rate without problems. At certain short timebase, retrigger time is about  200ns in segmented mode. They don't even publish this.. Their spec is very conservative here.. In normal displayed mode it is much slower... When looking at trigger out, you will notice that it keeps triggering even while sweep is in progress.. And it is useless for normal scope operation, there are some other uses for this, but for classic scope operation it is not useful.

But...

Digital scope triggering rate is defined by very short time needed for triggering FSM to be primed for new trigger (that can be made very quick) and by time needed for captured data is measured and prepared for display engine, and then with time display engine is ready for new data.
That is the reason that segmented captures are faster, you need to wait for the display.
And when you're displaying data, it has to process all the pixels and data points, those before and after trigger point, whatever should be on the screen.

Overlapping triggered data doesn't make sense, and there are no scopes that do that. That is a waste of memory.
That is why you have long memory scopes, just grab 120 events at the same time and look at that... That guarantees zero (0) retrigger time.

Every time when we have an idea how to solve something, we need to remember hammer and a nail principle.
Usually, what seems like a good idea at the time, someone else solved already, by using different approach, and if many people before us thought about same problem, usually there is a better and more elegant solution...

For instance, for your first request, I would rather that, when I press Single, it doesn't grab a full memory (which on slower time bases can be quite some time too), but to rather not delete history buffers. I didn't know it did that, it shouldn't delete history..

Scope shouldn't start anything immediately in single mode. It has to wait for trigger. You use Single to capture important trigger event and then stop.
When setting time base and trigger position you setup how long the capture should be, sample rate and trigger position. And scope will get exactly that. If you set up trigger position at half the screen it will be 50/50% pre and post.

And if they fix that Single works with history buffers you could set set each Single capture to be fraction of the memory, so you could get, say, 10 or 20 events and then analyse and compare them.
Much more useful than grabbing all the memory all the time, even when I need something else. If I want long capture, I just set it for long capture. If you want to look at detail, just zoom in to it.
If zoom mode is awkward to use, than we should pester Siglent to make zoom mode nice and easy to use.

I have a Picoscope that handles memory same as Siglent and LeCroy.
The way that zoom is implemented in GUI, combined with large screen and arbitrary number and layout of viewport windows makes it fantastic to use.
Using deterministic full captures and zoom viewports is superior way to deal with the problem. Only problem is if zoom implementation in GUI is not optimal.

I apologize if I didn't explain this in a way that is understandable. If need be, I can grab a few screenshots to illustrate what I mean here..

Regards and Happy holidays to all..

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #299 on: December 26, 2020, 12:58:27 pm »
It is not a analog scope. Retrigger time on digital scope is pretty much nil. Keysight 3000T actually triggers at 20MHz trigger rate without problems. At certain short timebase, retrigger time is about  200ns in segmented mode. They don't even publish this.. Their spec is very conservative here.. In normal displayed mode it is much slower... When looking at trigger out, you will notice that it keeps triggering even while sweep is in progress.. And it is useless for normal scope operation, there are some other uses for this, but for classic scope operation it is not useful.

But...

Digital scope triggering rate is defined by very short time needed for triggering FSM to be primed for new trigger (that can be made very quick) and by time needed for captured data is measured and prepared for display engine, and then with time display engine is ready for new data.
That is the reason that segmented captures are faster, you need to wait for the display.
And when you're displaying data, it has to process all the pixels and data points, those before and after trigger point, whatever should be on the screen.

Overlapping triggered data doesn't make sense, and there are no scopes that do that. That is a waste of memory.
That is why you have long memory scopes, just grab 120 events at the same time and look at that... That guarantees zero (0) retrigger time.

I mentioned the approach I did because I presumed that the truly superior way of doing it would be something that would require so much in the way of software changes that it wouldn't be reasonably feasible for Siglent to do.  Namely, that the truly proper way of doing it would be to make the capture (I define "capture" here as meaning a single contiguous set of recorded samples, while a "segment" is a capture plus a trigger point) be variable size, with the minimum size being that of the time width represented by the display and the maximum size being that of the entirety of memory, and the point at which a capture ends is when the time between the last trigger event and the current time exceeds the time distance between the trigger location on the screen and the right edge of the display (if memory is exhausted and the entirety of memory represents a single capture, then you'll have to prune your current capture from the left hand side in order to free it for current samples).  You record all of the trigger events that occurred within that capture and that, along with the capture itself, is what you store.  Operationally, since the memory acts as a circular buffer, you would need to be able to prune the oldest capture from its left side in order to free memory for the current capture (and it's entirely possible that the oldest capture is the current capture -- the principle of pruning would remain the same).  If the oldest capture contains just a single trigger point then you obviously free up that entire capture for use in the current one.

What the user sees after stopping the scope and going into the history would then depend on his timebase and offset settings.   He could change his timebase in order to see more or less of the capture, and playing the history forward would shift his view within the larger capture so that each trigger point would be centered on the trigger location he's selected (center screen by default).  If memory contains multiple disjoint captures (as would be the case when the distance between two trigger points exceeds the time between the trigger location and the right edge of the screen at the time the later trigger event fired), then moving from the last trigger point in the previous capture to the first trigger point in the next capture would, of course, show up on the display appropriately as one would expect.  The end result is that replaying the history would, by default, look very much like it does now, but with greater ability to examine the waveform associated with multiple closely-spaced trigger events.  Zooming out relative to the originally specified timebase would become feasible depending on whether or not multiple trigger events are represented within the currently viewed capture.

This approach has at least a couple of advantages over Siglent's current approach.  The waveform update rate can now remain at the maximum the scope is capable of or the rate at which trigger events actually occurs, whichever is smaller.  The scope can now potentially store many more history "segments" than it currently can because each "segment" is just a pointer to a trigger event within a capture and there can be many such pointers for a given capture.   Of course, these pointers also take up memory, but clearly a pointer takes up much less memory than even the smallest of captures.  And actually, whether or not you need to store the trigger locations depends on whether or not the trigger locations can be reconstructed from the capture data.  If they can be reconstructed then you can do that at history viewing time.  But whether they can be reconstructed depends on the capture sample rate relative to the scope's native sample rate -- the trigger system always operates at the latter rate irrespective of the former rate.

The problem that I'm trying to solve here is one that other oscilloscopes solve by arranging their capture update rate to match that of what's displayed on the screen while arranging for the final capture to occupy the entirety of memory, so that when the scope stops you can, depending on the sample rate and the amount of time represented by the screen, get much more in the way of capture to examine than just what the screen shows.  The Siglent always gets you captures that are limited to the screen's time width, irrespective of how much memory is available.  Instead of using the additional memory for additional off-screen capture time, the Siglent uses the rest of memory for additional historical segments.  I rather like Siglent's general approach here, but see no good reason that the capture rate must be capped by the amount of time represented by the screen.  What I'm proposing is a way of getting both a heightened waveform rate and a larger capture, all the while remaining faithful to Siglent's "what you see is all you get" approach to capture management.

As regards the trigger delay, here's the thing: if you want the trigger to be delayed by some amount before it can fire again, there is already a direct way to accomplish that: the trigger holdoff value.  Given the availability of that value, I see no good reason to impose another arbitrary limitation on when the trigger can fire again, assuming you don't prematurely run out of some resource (like memory) as a consequence of allowing it to fire too quickly.  The history should be a reflection of when the trigger conditions were met and nothing else.  If you want to space out the trigger events, you impose a holdoff time.

For instance, for your first request, I would rather that, when I press Single, it doesn't grab a full memory (which on slower time bases can be quite some time too), but to rather not delete history buffers. I didn't know it did that, it shouldn't delete history..

There turn out to be multiple things that cause the history to get nuked.  Just moving the waveform up or down will do that, as will shifting the trigger point.

Scope shouldn't start anything immediately in single mode. It has to wait for trigger.

Yes, but if it doesn't even bother to start capturing data before it detects the trigger then you'll get no data prior to the trigger point.  No, if you want data preceding the trigger, you have no choice but to start recording samples immediately when the "single" button is pressed, and you stop recording only after the requisite amount of time past the trigger event.  And it can't be any other way, obviously, because the scope simply doesn't know at what point the trigger will fire once you hit the "single" button.

You use Single to capture important trigger event and then stop.
When setting time base and trigger position you setup how long the capture should be, sample rate and trigger position. And scope will get exactly that. If you set up trigger position at half the screen it will be 50/50% pre and post.

And if doing so didn't nuke your history, then it would be perfectly reasonable to do that.   But if Siglent insists upon nuking your history and not even retaining your single capture once you start normal or auto triggering, then it's clearly better for them to use the entirety of memory for the capture than it is for them to leave the memory unused.   But I agree with your general assessment here.  See below.

And if they fix that Single works with history buffers you could set set each Single capture to be fraction of the memory, so you could get, say, 10 or 20 events and then analyse and compare them.
Much more useful than grabbing all the memory all the time, even when I need something else. If I want long capture, I just set it for long capture. If you want to look at detail, just zoom in to it.
If zoom mode is awkward to use, than we should pester Siglent to make zoom mode nice and easy to use.

I completely agree.   It is certainly better for them to retain the segments across multiple invocations of the trigger buttons (whether "auto", "normal", or "single"), and let the user decide for himself what to do next.  As you say, you can manually arrange to use the entirety of memory for a single capture if you so choose -- it's just a question of setting the appropriate timebase and memory depth.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 01:16:20 pm by kcbrown »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf