Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests  (Read 153984 times)

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests
« Reply #675 on: November 20, 2022, 05:22:20 am »
I just finished the "Options" on my new SDS2104X Plus SDS2504X Plus.
I haven't upgraded fw to latest yet, so i'm still on 1.3.9R12
Why oh why are ppl so reluctant to upgrade FW ?  :-//
Please just do it !  :horse:

For my part :
1:
I wanted to finish doing the "Options" on a release that i knew was "working".
I still remember Rigol's upgrade that was "disabling" the "options"

2:
I don't have a stock of these, and if Sh... hits the F.. , i have to send an "already BW upgraded" scope back to Batronix.
I have to take a deep breath, before doing it.....

Well:
Now that i have done all the options, i'll prob. upgrade it this afternoon.

/Bingo
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 05:31:50 am by bingo600 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #676 on: November 20, 2022, 09:23:52 am »

I still remember Rigol's upgrade that was "disabling" the "options"

/Bingo
Totally irrelevant, yours is a Siglent and they don't do that shit.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: bingo600

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #677 on: November 20, 2022, 02:05:35 pm »

DHCP Renewal Bug Solved in in : 1.5.2R1 - Thank you Siglent  :-+
Scope now renews on "half-time of lease", just as the "doctor (RFC) ordered"

/Bingo

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline teddychn

• Contributor
« Reply #678 on: November 25, 2022, 05:16:16 am »
Idea for a feature request, would be nice if the FFT horizontal axis can be displayed in log scale, would make the already powerful FFT capability even more useful imo.

I second to the idea. The logarithmic frequency scale helps investigating low frequency signal and filter behavior a lot.

Offline teddychn

• Contributor
« Reply #679 on: November 25, 2022, 02:51:18 pm »
- Bode Plot:
   Showing the waveform at the same time

- FFT:
  Logarithmic frequency scale

- Math:
  HP/LP/BP Filter

- Non-segmented acquition
  Just duplicate the zoom mode and turn the waveform preview into an indication strip.

The above are in the order of importance to myself.

Regarding the non-segmented acquition (zoom out capbility). I think current current segmented design may have it's perks. It just doesn't go with my habits
of previous HP scopes. But I still confused about what's the difference between sequence mode and default non-sequence mode.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 01:33:20 pm by teddychn »

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #680 on: December 01, 2022, 04:03:17 pm »
Not sure if this has been reported in this thread yet, but when setting up network storage the UI dialog asks for "//server/share".  It should be "//server_ip/share" as it will not resolve the server name and entering the IP address is required.

It's a minor detail but since setting up network storage is not covered in the manual it can be a small source of frustration.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #681 on: December 01, 2022, 05:52:33 pm »
- Bode Plot:

But I still confused about what's the difference between sequence mode and default non-sequence mode.
On 2000HD if you go into display, there is a option to choose time domain display in Bode mode..

Difference between segment and history mode: History mode is transparent. In segmented mode scope doesn't display acquisitions on screen until it is done with all of the segments. Because of that it can retrigger really fast..

Offline jundar

« Reply #682 on: December 03, 2022, 01:08:02 am »
Greetings to all!
I am very happy with my new SDS2104X but my oscilloscope shows some DC offset (~40 - 70uV) on all 4 channels every time after I turn it on. No probes connected, all channels are set to maximum sensitivity (500uV) and set as internally grounded. Ambient temperature ~+20C - +22C. I tried to run internal self-calibration without success...

Also should mention, the DC offset tends to drift and decrease to 15-20uV after 15-20 minutes of work.

Did not able to find information about that, this is very disturbing to me  :palm:... Could someone check that on his own device? Please  confirm if it is common behavior of SDS2000X Plus or should I treat that as some defect. I greatly appreciate any help!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 01:10:28 am by jundar »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #683 on: December 03, 2022, 01:25:54 am »
Hi,

You can´t expect absolute zero....
There´s a "naturally" (thermal) drift given, all scopes got it.
As long as it in the specs*, there´s no need to worry about this.

DC offset (~40 - 70uV)

To get an idea what this means, 1mV are 0.001V.
1µV are 0.000001V or in your "worst case" 0.00007V....
Imagine what this means in practice when you´re looking at signal of e.g. 10mV...

*):
Quote from: Datasheet
Offset accuracy ±(1.5%*offset+1.5%*full scale+1 mV)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 01:39:59 am by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, jundar

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #684 on: December 03, 2022, 01:36:42 am »
Greetings to all!
I am very happy with my new SDS2104X but my oscilloscope shows some DC offset (~40 - 70uV) on all 4 channels every time after I turn it on. No probes connected, all channels are set to maximum sensitivity (500uV) and set as internally grounded. Ambient temperature ~+20C - +22C. I tried to run internal self-calibration without success...

Also should mention, the DC offset tends to drift and decrease to 15-20uV after 15-20 minutes of work.

Did not able to find information about that, this is very disturbing to me  :palm:... Could someone check that on his own device? Please  confirm if it is common behavior of SDS2000X Plus or should I treat that as some defect. I greatly appreciate any help!
Nothing to worry about.  Mine is a bit worse and it does nor bother me a bit.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 01:43:52 am by BillyO »
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

The following users thanked this post: jundar

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #685 on: December 03, 2022, 09:10:09 am »
Greetings to all!

So after instrument is properly warmed up you get 15-20 uv... And quite good.  It is hard to design amplifiers and AD converters to go from DC to 500 MHz and be perfect.

Every now and then, a topic pops up where people complain about how long it takes to boot modern instruments.
All the while forgetting that every instrument needs to warm up for half an hour or more to get to work temperature inside for best accuracy.

The following users thanked this post: jundar

Offline Slartibartfast

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #686 on: December 09, 2022, 10:42:21 pm »

I think this comment is a little inappropriate.

1.) It is obvious from bingo600's comments that his is a brand new instrument. After switching on a new expensive piece of equipment the first thing that you definitely not do is upgrading the firmware. First you play a bit to see if there are any problems with the specimen. Only after you gain a bit of confidence that everything's allright you upgrade. It looks to me he upgraded quicker than I'd have done.

2.) I guess people would upgrade more if Siglent wouldn't do such a crappy job maintaining their websites. My scope is still at v1.3.9R6, because that's what I believed up to today to be the latest version, after all, the Siglent website tells me so: https://www.siglent.eu/downloads Still find it hard to believe that they made me miss several releases because of sloppy website maintenance.

3.) You could have helped by announcing that a new signicant release is out, couldn't you. I mean, as an authorised distributor ...

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #687 on: December 09, 2022, 11:09:49 pm »
Hi,

To 1): I´ll do it the opposite - First take the scope to the latest firmware, then checking if everything is working...Makes more sense.
To 2) : This site is a VENDORs site....
Here´s the siglent site:

https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/digital-oscilloscopes/#sds2000x-plus

With the latest firmware update for the Xplus....They do their job..
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 11:12:22 pm by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #688 on: December 09, 2022, 11:49:52 pm »

I think this comment is a little inappropriate.
You might and be wrong.
1.) It is obvious from bingo600's comments that his is a brand new instrument. After switching on a new expensive piece of equipment the first thing that you definitely not do is upgrading the firmware. First you play a bit to see if there are any problems with the specimen. Only after you gain a bit of confidence that everything's allright you upgrade. It looks to me he upgraded quicker than I'd have done.
We upgrade every instrument if a firmware update is available. As factory fresh instruments take 6-8 weeks to arrive it is not uncommon for a firmware update to be released while they are in transit.
2.) I guess people would upgrade more if Siglent wouldn't do such a crappy job maintaining their websites. My scope is still at v1.3.9R6, because that's what I believed up to today to be the latest version, after all, the Siglent website tells me so: https://www.siglent.eu/downloads Still find it hard to believe that they made me miss several releases because of sloppy website maintenance.
Siglent has no control of the quality of JR Special Electronics website, none.
Whereas the official Siglent EU website is largely maintained by HQ:
https://www.siglenteu.com/

This situation arose before Siglent opened their Germany branch and has persisted since to catch many less observant people ever since. Siglent EU and NA websites are nearly identical except for pricing.
3.) You could have helped by announcing that a new signicant release is out, couldn't you. I mean, as an authorised distributor ...
I do many but as I'm not the only Siglent agent here others sometimes beat me to the punch, even members do sometimes as we rarely get early notice of a firmware release and spot it only with recent website checks or the rare sharing of a beta version shortly before release.
Eg. we got a 2kX+ V1.5.2 version shortly before public release of 2R1 that has the new time zone feature and its little bug so not to confuse our customers we instead install V1.5.2 prior to dispatch.

Anyways Slartibartfast, good to see you here and if there's anything else you need to report please do.  :-+
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 12:20:41 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Martin72

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #689 on: December 12, 2022, 10:55:01 am »
I'm just using the LAN instrument control which is working fine in gerneral, but:

Device's screen saver and remote windows content on the PC are coupled. Should be independent:

The device's Screen Saver should not stop the data delivery to LAN instrument control.
(Maybe not a big deal, as one klick into the Windows window brings it back to life.)
But:
Klicking the Windows window on the PC reactivates the screen display of the device too.

Remote use with the device's screen staying black would be best imho.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #690 on: December 12, 2022, 11:21:54 am »
I'm just using the LAN instrument control which is working fine in gerneral, but:

Device's screen saver and remote windows content on the PC are coupled. Should be independent:

The device's Screen Saver should not stop the data delivery to LAN instrument control.
(Maybe not a big deal, as one klick into the Windows window brings it back to life.)
But:
Klicking the Windows window on the PC reactivates the screen display of the device too.

Remote use with the device's screen staying black would be best imho.

Remote window is remote window. It is not a separate console session.
In perfect world all devices would have infinite resources.

Screen saver is something I never use. LCD does not need it like CRTs do..

Not saying you are saying something wrong, but no device is perfect.
Kesight 3000T that is much more expensive does the same.

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #691 on: December 12, 2022, 11:25:27 am »
I have another one:

I cannot find a way to export the FFT peak list into a file.

Offline teddychn

• Contributor
« Reply #692 on: December 12, 2022, 01:29:05 pm »
- Bode Plot:

But I still confused about what's the difference between sequence mode and default non-sequence mode.
On 2000HD if you go into display, there is a option to choose time domain display in Bode mode..

Difference between segment and history mode: History mode is transparent. In segmented mode scope doesn't display acquisitions on screen until it is done with all of the segments. Because of that it can retrigger really fast..

Thanks for the information. 2000X plus has this option as well. I've tried showing the waveform and found it's helpful. But it seems different with Keysight's or RIGOL's. It shows much more cycles on the screen.

So history mode is Siglent's standard way of acquiring waveform. I feel it's not a drawback comparing with the zoom out capability. They just designed in different logic. On top of the standard history mode, we still can zoom out first and acquire the waveform we want.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #693 on: December 12, 2022, 01:42:53 pm »
- Bode Plot:

Thanks for the information. 2000X plus has this option as well. I've tried showing the waveform and found it's helpful. But it seems different with Keysight's or RIGOL's. It shows much more cycles on the screen.

So history mode is Siglent's standard way of acquiring waveform. I feel it's not a drawback comparing with the zoom out capability. They just designed in different logic. On top of the standard history mode, we still can zoom out first and acquire the waveform we want.

I'm glad I could help. And also, thank you for understanding what I (and quite a few of us) are trying to explain: it is different. And has its own benefits when used properly.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #694 on: December 15, 2022, 11:27:02 pm »
Adding the wish of having a THD in percent to the wanted features of the HD:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-hd-missing-features-and-bugs/msg4583812/#msg4583812

Because they got the same software, I post it here too.

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline Slartibartfast

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #695 on: December 18, 2022, 10:51:46 pm »
Hi,

To 1): I´ll do it the opposite - First take the scope to the latest firmware, then checking if everything is working...Makes more sense.

Ich beg to differ, because of bitter experience. Some vendors rejecting my claim of defect on arrival by insinuating that I did something wrong during the update, like cutting power too early, or whatever.

I will not give any vendor the same excuse again, even if only a small minority would (mis)use it. The pre-installed firmware must be able to at least demonstrate that all basic hardware functions work correctly (otherwise it would mean I'm treated as an unpaid beta tester). Only after it has done so it is time to replace it by the latest version.

To 2) : This site is a VENDORs site....

As I have noticed. Eventually.

It is normal behaviour for any manufacturer to absolutely ensure that no website it does not have control over uses the brand name, the particular style of writing, and the logo, in a way that allows a customer to mistake the site for the manufacturer's site. This is called trademark enforcement. It is a far too great risk for the brand's reputation to be negligent here. If you ask why, then just look at my case: I might not have found out, and then much later come to the conclusion that Siglent does not care about firmware bugs and never fixes them. Could be even worse: if that vendor does not react properly to customer complaints, Siglent will be blamed.

This particular vendor uses the Siglent brand exactly the same way as Siglent does.

With the latest firmware update for the Xplus....They do their job..

Regarding firmware, it certainly looks so.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #696 on: December 18, 2022, 11:34:34 pm »
We upgrade every instrument if a firmware update is available. As factory fresh instruments take 6-8 weeks to arrive it is not uncommon for a firmware update to be released while they are in transit.

I'm aware of that, but I fail to see what that has to do with your exclamation "Why oh why are ppl so reluctant to upgrade FW ?  :-//". As I understand it you critized bingo600's behaviour of testing the device before upgrading. A behaviour I find absolutely reasonable.

That is not true. They could threaten a lawsuit for using the Siglent brand in an unapproved, misleading manner. In fact, the WTO even requires that action, lest they risk loosing protection of their brand.

Anyways Slartibartfast, good to see you here and if there's anything else you need to report please do.  :-+

Thanks. I was about to report my finding that CIFS access only works with SMBv1, a fact I found ridiculous as this protocol version is infamous for more than half a decade to have gaping security holes. Then I found it amusing that not only had it been reported before (which I had anticipated of course), but somebody had found another security hole in the GUI, exploiting which enables activating SMBv3.

So, I've been reading here for quite a while, and also posting in the LA-hardware hack thread. The information available there allowed me to build LA probes with some personal improvements. I'm very happy with my SDS2104X+ so far, and while before purchasing this device last year I was barely aware of the brand, for future purchases Siglent devices will be amongst the first for consideration.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #697 on: December 19, 2022, 01:01:36 am »

That is not true. They could threaten a lawsuit for using the Siglent brand in an unapproved, misleading manner. In fact, the WTO even requires that action, lest they risk loosing protection of their brand.
Actually JR Special Electronics as a Siglent reseller had this website URL well before Siglent established their Germany office. For them to insist JR Special Electronics forfeit their URL could be seen as bullying.

JR Special Electronics undeniably have first rights to their URL as they were using it many years before Siglent had a permanent presence in the EU.

Actually if this issue was to be addressed on order to reduce confusion both JR Special Electronics and Siglent EU should have some agreed notification on one another's websites pointing to the other.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Slartibartfast

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #698 on: December 20, 2022, 12:29:28 pm »

Actually JR Special Electronics as a Siglent reseller had this website URL well before Siglent established their Germany office. For them to insist JR Special Electronics forfeit their URL could be seen as bullying.

JR Special Electronics undeniably have first rights to their URL as they were using it many years before Siglent had a permanent presence in the EU.

Maybe, but that is irrelevant when it comes to brands and trademarks. Somebody owning cocacola.[com|net|org|eu] would have to give it up if Coca Cola Company requests it. At some stage it seemed certain that people can own and keep a domain if that is based on their own personal name. There was a widely publicised lawsuit by the steel giant Krupp against a person with the same name owning krupp.de, having first rights. Still, the person had to give it up. You can call it lamentable, but it's reality, unfortunately.

If Siglent does not do anything here, then the brand "Siglent" will eventually become unprotected. That means anybody could sell crappy devices under the name Siglent. I'm not familiar with the conditions, though, like, when protection expires. IANAL.

Offline Tikitronics

« Reply #699 on: December 22, 2022, 07:43:20 am »
Hi everyone,

just got a SDS2104X Plus and I'm really impressed by the quality of the scope for this price point.

One feature I really came to love with the Keysight 3000T X Series at work is annotations:
In combination with the touch screen, this a wonderfully efficient way to make self-explanatory screenshots for documentation purposes.
R&S has similar features on their RTM lineup.

I know you can give the channels a label, which is great, but describing the event that is displayed on a screenshot is really a great thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf