Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests  (Read 154004 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus - Bugs / Missing Features / Feature Requests
« Reply #750 on: June 18, 2023, 01:06:30 am »
Well....Bingo, I guess... ;)

Pretty close, I edited in my new requests. 😉

Thanks!

Edit: Why can't I select 200Hz with the stupid select knob?? That's annoying. It skips by 2, and there's no adjustment for it (199 or 201 are the only options). They need to update the UI so I can use it from the web console and enter the exact frequency I want without that dumb knob.
Double tap/click it and enter the frequency via the virtual keypad.
Adjustment resolution will be related to the # of measurement points in use.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #751 on: June 18, 2023, 03:53:35 am »

I agree, that is what should happen, but it doesn't. It pops up or goes away; no virtual keypad, and no manual number entry. I'm assuming by "it" you mean the box where the number I want to edit is. The attached images are the only things that popup.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #752 on: June 18, 2023, 04:29:44 am »

I agree, that is what should happen, but it doesn't. It pops up or goes away; no virtual keypad, and no manual number entry. I'm assuming by "it" you mean the box where the number I want to edit is. The attached images are the only things that popup.
Yep and it need work for a mouse scroll wheel too.
Sent to Siglent as a new feature request for all models that support Bode plot.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #753 on: June 18, 2023, 11:01:10 am »
It´s way too late for me to play with my HD scope (which bode feature is the same), but let´s say in the "afternoon" I´ll play around with it, especially the web thing.

Short tests...
Indeed, there´s no web control about the cursors in bode mode* - In normal mode, you can control the cursors via mouse pointer.
In the bode mode you can´t.
I can type in the start/stop frequency via keypad over web control without problems, e.g. the 200hz is no problem here regardles of the number of points (80/dec or 105/dec).
I use the batronix demoboard and connected both of the filter outputs to the bode plotter - first time I´ve tried, looks nice. ;)
When ending the bode mode you can go and get some coffee... :-X

*)My guess, bode is a kind of autark mode and ending it will be same as if you boot the scope.
This is also supported by the fact that in Bode mode you can only operate the elements in the Bode menu - everything else is "dead".
(no time base, no vertical, no measurements, no cursors, no display settings, etc, etc).
Siglent should perhaps reconsider whether that has to be the case.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #754 on: June 18, 2023, 03:16:50 pm »
I can type in the start/stop frequency via keypad over web control without problems, e.g. the 200hz is no problem here regardles of the number of points (80/dec or 105/dec).

The setup screen is no issue. It is annoying that it doesn't remember all the settings on the next startup. It always defaults to Continuous, but I usually do Single. It also defaults Load to 50Ω. Also forgets trace visibility and a couple other things. They should remember ALL Bode Plot settings, and have a button for full reset of Bode Plot settings (keeping it separate from the regular default button).
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #755 on: June 18, 2023, 05:00:26 pm »
Test it:

Frequency range, source and DUT channels remains, also the amount of measure points and lin./dec.
Load and trace visibility not, maybe more, which is not noticeable in my setup.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #756 on: June 18, 2023, 05:21:17 pm »
Test it:

Frequency range, source and DUT channels remains, also the amount of measure points and lin./dec.
Load and trace visibility not, maybe more, which is not noticeable in my setup.

That stuff stays. Trace visibility doesn't. I only notice because I disable the phase trace, but it always comes back. The single/continuous thing is more annoying than that though. Doing 80/dec takes long enough for a single plot.

They get most of it to stay, but it' snot enough. 😉

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #757 on: June 19, 2023, 03:20:29 am »
There's another feature I'm assuming isn't available yet:

I'd like to be able to compare 2 or 3 different single sweep bode plots on screen at once.
Like this:

I hope it might be possible if the data is saved to the USB stick for the 2 or 3 plots, and then they can be loaded and compared on screen. If not, is there a non-Photoshop way people are doing this?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #758 on: June 19, 2023, 03:50:25 am »

I'd like to be able to compare 2 or 3 different single sweep bode plots on screen at once.
Like this:

I hope it might be possible if the data is saved to the USB stick for the 2 or 3 plots, and then they can be loaded and compared on screen. If not, is there a non-Photoshop way people are doing this?
Try using the Reference waveform feature.
It's in the Save/Recall menu where you can name and save several, internally and externally.

Maybe best you have a play with it in normal scope mode to get the hang of it before trying it with a Bode plot.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #759 on: June 19, 2023, 05:44:19 am »

Like this:

No need do photo editing for this.

Bode Plot heart is one data table what it produce during sweep. What it display is then "secondary" feature based to this table.
All what BodePlot do and display is based to this single table. (also what goes out of BodePlot vertical display area all is still there in table.)

You can save this data table to USB and you can also recall it back to oscilloscope BodePlot for look and analyze it later. But it only handles one table at a time.

It need heavy changes to whole BodePlot for make this kind of function you like si that it can simultaneously keep many tables and display all these for compare. Also data tables parameters for compare need be comparable.

Naturally there is other way than Photo editing.

BodePlot data table is normal simple CSV file (also BodePlot display is just draw from this table).
You can do what ever with these data tables. Something example as Exel or LibreOffice etc can use for this.
Just if you want compare two bode plot sweep. Save both tables to USB.
Copypaste these data fields you are interested to new .CSV table and let LibreOffice or Exel draw these traces and visually compare or do what ever math using these data. It is very easy to do.
Ones you make this and save some settings already for next use then next time is more easy and fast. (or write tiny simple sw what can do it)

Here is one random BodePlot table so that all readers can imagine what it is in practice.
Note that CSV file every lines end is LF alone. Not CR LF. So if you open it using conventional old "Notepad" it is not nice to look.

Because in this forum .CSV attachments are forbidden (really unbelievable stupid rule) load it and remove file type .txt  then it is .csv.
(also you can open it using Notepad++ what is light year ahead this ancient MS Notebad...aka Notepad)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 05:46:57 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #760 on: June 19, 2023, 05:15:53 pm »
Try using the Reference waveform feature.
It's in the Save/Recall menu where you can name and save several, internally and externally.

Maybe best you have a play with it in normal scope mode to get the hang of it before trying it with a Bode plot.  ;)

While I'm well aware that I have a LOT to learn about all the things this scope can do (hence why I bought the batronix demo board), I don't see how that helps with bode plots.

A perfect example is that I want to compare the 3 attached plots (data files included in zip). I loaded all 3 as you suggested for REF A - C, and it says data loaded successfully, then doesn't do anything else. How can I view all 3 at once? It doesn't show any of them on screen after loading, and it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the bode plot feature either.

Thanks to @rf-loop 's suggestion, I was able to do (almost) exactly what I want in Excel:

Now if I can figure out how to scale the X-axis more like the original, that would be cool. (Edit: figured that out.) I'd still prefer to have the scope be able to do this without the extra step of using Excel.

Thanks,
Josh
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 05:58:19 pm by KungFuJosh »

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #761 on: June 19, 2023, 05:34:33 pm »
Things that should be fixed with Bode Plot:

Recalling plot data changes manual amplitude scale settings (despite the data having been recorded with the manual settings). They're set manual on purpose, if Auto isn't selected, it simply shouldn't change.

Manual amplitude scale/ref level settings are not recalled after reboot.

Other settings not recalled after reboot (that should be):
Bode plot settings including Load, & Sweap/Meas.
Display- Trace Visibility
Display- Cursor Positions (X1 is always supposed to be 200Hz for my current tests, but it jumps to other numbers after reboot).

There should be a "Bode default" soft button to reset Bode settings, otherwise, everything should be remembered.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #762 on: June 19, 2023, 07:12:11 pm »
I loaded all 3 as you suggested for REF A - C, and it says data loaded successfully, then doesn't do anything else.
Did your try to Recall them ?

Here's some I did while comparing probes:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/probe-into-probes-whats-up/msg4689083/#msg4689083
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #763 on: June 19, 2023, 08:05:53 pm »
I loaded all 3 as you suggested for REF A - C, and it says data loaded successfully, then doesn't do anything else.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/probe-into-probes-whats-up/msg4689083/#msg4689083

Yes, I was trying to recall them. I guess I was wrong though, I thought it said file loaded, but it says "file format is illegal!" when trying to load the CSV files.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #764 on: June 19, 2023, 08:11:53 pm »

Yes, I was trying to recall them. I guess I was wrong though, I thought it said file loaded, but it says "file format is illegal!" when trying to load the CSV files.
Reference file format is not CSV !

You need Save as a Reference file to your preferred destination and point Recall to it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #765 on: June 19, 2023, 08:38:10 pm »
Reference file format is not CSV !

You need Save as a Reference file to your preferred destination and point Recall to it.

How do you suggest I do that, if Bode Plots only save data as CSV? The only option is to change the filename, not file type.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #766 on: June 19, 2023, 09:16:07 pm »
Like I wrote before, Bode is it´s own "universe" when active...you can´t do anything else... :P
But what I did a few minutes ago is:

-bode plotting ch2
-Data--save--ch2
-bode plotting again, but now with ch4 as dut output
-Check that no content from ch2 was avaible, yes, no content.
-Then recall the data from ch2
-Trace visibility ch2 on.

Now you have ch2 as a kind of reference.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #767 on: June 21, 2023, 04:41:16 pm »
This is what I'm actually trying to do:

For now I've created this template in Excel, and it will work. Though it would be nice if the scope were capable of doing this on its own. Other people are using a crappy software scope that can do this by itself.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #768 on: June 21, 2023, 08:07:31 pm »
Measure no load, save the curve.
Measure loaded, save the curve.
Measure inductance, then load the prior saved curves, then you´ll have all three curves(conditions) on the screen.
Or do I miss something ?

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #769 on: June 21, 2023, 08:40:17 pm »
Measure no load, save the curve.
Measure loaded, save the curve.
Measure inductance, then load the prior saved curves, then you´ll have all three curves(conditions) on the screen.
Or do I miss something ?

From your suggestion, I would need to keep swapping the probe channel correct? If I do that 3 times, will it give me the option to choose peaks for all 3 plots? And show the data?

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #770 on: June 21, 2023, 08:45:10 pm »
If I remember it right, the full data content will be saved.
I would need to keep swapping the probe channel correct?
Yes, so my thoughts.
Now it is a little late (22h44) to check it for me, maybe tomorrow early evening - or you try it first. ;)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #771 on: June 22, 2023, 07:22:32 am »
I have a small issue when swapping from using a digital/MSO input as trigger, to an analog input as trigger. 

Everything works as expected, but the display shows accumulated waveforms, similar to if infinite persistence was set (intensity is still at 50%).
So the probe can be lifted entirely away from the probed test-point, and the aggregated waveforms continue to show on the display, rather than a horizontal line for DC 0V.

Hitting the 'default' button fixes it. But one then has to re-configure the probe settings, timebase, vertical resolution etc.

I am still learning and exploring, so it may be something very obvious.

Without enough information about all things affecting here, it is impossible to answer. Yes I can start speculation like if this and perhaps if this and that...

Please tell enough information. We don't see the things that you see in it and that you know about. At least I don't know any clairvoyants here.
It's also quite frustrating and time-consuming to start asking each impressive thing separately.

Now, for the sake of example, I am asking just one very essential setting. There are three modes of action related to triggering: Auto. Normal. Single.
So I ask, Auto or Normal? *)
Then there are two different modes. DPO (in Siglent "SPO") or traditional DSO. (Acquisition modes: Fast(default, SPO) and Slow (like ancient DSO))
Because your explanation (without screen dump image) I believe Aq. mode is Fast.

If acq mode is Fast and trigger mode is Normal... when trigger disappear you can see last acquisitions...  until next trig. (or do something what clears display)
In DPO mode one display frame can include several last acquisitions overlaid **) (depending signal and scope settings)  and if this situation freeze due to missing trigger... you can see this static display on the screen. 
If not then it is broken.

*) 
When trigger mode is Normal all stay on the screen until next trigger.
When trigger mode is Auto. If not Trigger events it start generate automatic trigger. In case when signal trig.. it draw signal... if trig disappear it start display what ever is input. If zero then it display zero.  Time delay after Trigger disappear until it start Auto trig is quite short.

**) 
in some cases with fastest setup one TFT frame may contain up to thousands of sequential last acquisition traces overlaid in one display frame.
If you turn acquisition mode to Slow... one TFT frame can have only one acquisition. (in some case useful setting)

I can not now test if there exist some problem when LA channels in use...

Please next if need more... take screen image where can see exactly what happen including also settings.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 07:27:11 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #772 on: June 22, 2023, 07:37:23 am »
I have a small issue when swapping from using a digital/MSO input as trigger, to an analog input as trigger. 

Everything works as expected, but the display shows accumulated waveforms, similar to if infinite persistence was set (intensity is still at 50%).
So the probe can be lifted entirely away from the probed test-point, and the aggregated waveforms continue to show on the display, rather than a horizontal line for DC 0V.

Hitting the 'default' button fixes it. But one then has to re-configure the probe settings, timebase, vertical resolution etc.

I am still learning and exploring, so it may be something very obvious.
One normally reports a bug stating the FW version installed and with the latest, V1.5.2R3, any changes to the timebase delete any existing persistence.

I strongly suspect user error accidentally engaging Persistence by way of double tapping the Display button.
This is a feature in that you don't need to enter the Display menu to engage Infinite Persistence.
BTW, if the Display button is illuminated Persistence = ON.

It can also be useful to turn Hide Menu to OFF so to have it up and see what settings are active. One can easily hide it with a click or touch on a blank part of the display and bring it back touching or clicking the menu header that remains or pressing the Display menu again.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 10:51:27 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline julian1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #773 on: June 22, 2023, 07:58:34 am »
Hi rf-loop and Tautech,
I deleted the post not to waste anybody's time. too late..
And my post was partly in the form of a question, so more properly belongs to the general thread for sds2000x+.
When it happened on exit from MSO/digital mode each time in the past, I cycled/stabbed through all Normal and Auto, And Single, without being able to change the behavior.
But I am cursed, and cannot now replicate it.
Its a mistake to try to problem solve DUT issues, and experiment with scope at the same. 
If it happens again, and I cannot determine what is happening based on your posts, I will provide more detail with screen shots.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #774 on: June 22, 2023, 08:02:27 am »
Hi rf-loop and Tautech,
I deleted the post not to waste anybody's time. too late..
And my post was partly in the form of a question, so more properly belongs to the general thread for sds2000x+.
When it happened on exit from MSO/digital mode each time in the past, I cycled/stabbed through all Normal and Auto, And Single, without being able to change the behavior.
But I am cursed, and cannot now replicate it.
Its a mistake to try to problem solve DUT issues, and experiment with scope at the same. 
If it happens again, and I cannot determine what is happening based on your posts, I will provide more detail with screen shots.
Good questions are never a waste of time, just be sure to give as much info as you can and screenshots too.  ;)

About Default, you can set your very own preferred Default which is done from within the Save Recall menu.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf