Author Topic: New EEVBlog-Branded Multimeter Coming?  (Read 166818 times)

Offline JonM

• Supporter
Re: New EEVBlog-Branded Multimeter Coming?
« Reply #300 on: January 08, 2018, 03:44:50 am »
For example Bluetooth communication, 15V diode test (I've never seen that on other meters)

Protek 608 had 20V diode mode (if the battery was fresh).

If I remember correctly, the later model (protek 610/620) sadly dropped the high voltage diode mode, but added 100k count and datalogging. Was an amazing meter for the price: https://www.tequipment.net/Protek620.asp

Interesting:
"Due to the unreliability of Protek producing this item on time we have discontinued this unit."

I bought a Protek D620 sometime before 2009, primarily for the RS-232 interface. Imagine my disappointment when I get the meter and there is no information on the communication protocol in the manual, just a CD with a Windows .exe. I have no Windows systems (now I do at least have a Win10 disk I can plug in when really needed), I need the meter to work with Linux, or possibly a MacBook. In early 2011, thanks to the work of someone who did the reverse engineering, I was able to write a usable Perl script to collect data from the Protek (an obscure escape sequence to start the data flow, for starters).

I never did use the Protek much but one reason that I leaped on the 121GW, besides being a fanboy, was the promise of an open interface (let's hope that I can talk to it over BLE from Linux, don't need any GUI, just the data!). However, am also buying a 34465A soon, I know that I can talk to it from anything with a network connection (and have been using the DVM feature on my DSOX3024T this weekend to get ready).

I'm glad that I (not a movie guy) learned where '121GW' model number came from...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #301 on: January 08, 2018, 07:02:00 am »
They simply can't make enough f them due to parts availability.
Any available stock goes to Kickstarters first.

Thanks for your answer. Do I understand this right:
When UEi will have all the needed parts and all kickstarter meters are delivered,
then UEi will produce more 121GW so everybody can buy them?

Cheers,

Andreas
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #302 on: January 08, 2018, 07:46:09 am »

When UEi will have all the needed parts and all kickstarter meters are delivered,

Cheers,

Andreas

Cheers on them for not doing the Shenzhen routine! (Nothing quite beats calling around to suppliers asking for that one resistor array in a weird format to be able to finish a batch of boards - only to receive crusty parts that look as if they were desoldered and re-reeled)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #303 on: January 08, 2018, 07:51:54 am »

Cheers,

Andreas

Cheers on them for not doing the Shenzhen routine! (Nothing quite beats calling around to suppliers asking for that one resistor array in a weird format to be able to finish a batch of boards - only to receive crusty parts that look as if they were desoldered and re-reeled)

What?  :-//
I don't get it. What do you want us to say with your statement?
*scratching head*
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #304 on: January 08, 2018, 08:37:18 am »
Fairly simple. Plenty of builds run into supply problems with particular special items. It is so easy to go the low road (Shenzen) or reduce the specification to get units made in the hope the buyers and users won't notice the substitute or change to spec.

Sometimes you need to wait for quality  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #305 on: January 08, 2018, 08:41:56 am »

Cheers,

Andreas

*scratching head*

If you really *want* components you can usually get them if you call around enough and they're not too exotic, but the sources are questionable at best. You risk things like fakes, desoldered components, reels that were partially used and were sitting in a damp warehouse , ... So the fact that they're running into supplying limitations means they're using reputable distributors who don't just buy up components left and right in an attempt to meet deadlines. :)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #306 on: January 08, 2018, 09:00:27 am »
If you really *want* components you can usually get them if you call around enough and they're not too exotic, but the sources are questionable at best. You risk things like fakes, desoldered components, reels that were partially used and were sitting in a damp warehouse , ... So the fact that they're running into supplying limitations means they're using reputable distributors who don't just buy up components left and right in an attempt to meet deadlines. :)
I remember Dave talking about this in one of his videos. It's the only way to go if you care about your product.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2018, 10:10:46 am »

Cheers,

Andreas

*scratching head*

Or you have to pay a lot to get them from the one person in the  world who is sitting on a stash of genuine parts
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2018, 09:50:52 pm »
Yeah, specs are not impressing, but real precision is much better. If we assume that my Keithley is in cal (and "calibration certificate" included with my $5 reference is not complete bullshit), then all the meters read virtually the same (see photos). Let's see long-term stability...

I accidentally purchased two 121GW, both read the same. My only complain so far is a little bit slow autoranging (may be I'm spoiled with Keithley) and update rate. The specs say 5 samples/s, but it's more like one update in two seconds or so. I tried to change "logging interval", no changes. Hope it's a software issue.

Also Low Z  doesn't work (shows "0.0") until voltage reaches 11V. First bug? :) Software version "U-1.01". Sound indicator for wrong leads connection only kicks in when trying to use A/mA ports in voltage mode.

UP: just noticed the thread for reporting bugs. Duplicated my findings there.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:57:29 pm by exe »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2018, 09:53:40 pm »
Or you have to pay a lot to get them from the one person in the  world who is sitting on a stash of genuine parts

Yes. In this case the parts were available, but at an exorbitant price. EUi were not going to eat that.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #310 on: January 08, 2018, 09:59:57 pm »

Correct.
I'm not sure how many times and in how many ways I have to explain this, but I keep getting people who aren't clear on this.
1) There are component shortages that are limiting the numbers UEi can produce, and in what time frame they can produce them.
2) All stock they can produce will go towards fulfilling KS backer orders, therefor there will be zero stock for anyone else until all KS orders have been fulfilled.
3) They are estimating it will be the end of February before excess units above the KS numbers will be available, hence I will not have any in the store for sale until March. It might be earlier if circumstances change, but that has what they have told me.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #311 on: January 08, 2018, 10:30:17 pm »
Thanks Dave for clarifying that. I will point to your post here every time, when I'll see that somebody is asking the same or similar.

And, btw, thank you as well for your kind patience.  :) :-+

Have a good and nice vacation!

All the best,

Andreas

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #312 on: January 09, 2018, 01:10:45 am »
Dave

What brand and type of fuse is in it, that enables it to handle readings in the 121GW range? You’ll be supplying extra fuses for it? Leads/probes?

Thanks
 :-DD

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #313 on: January 09, 2018, 04:49:07 am »
Dave

What brand and type of fuse is in it, that enables it to handle readings in the 121GW range? You’ll be supplying extra fuses for it? Leads/probes?

Thanks
My calculator cannot work with these numbers.  At 100,000 volts maybe a 6 foot diameter fuse may work.  But there is a typo, it is 1.21 GW not 121 GW (the decimal is missing from the model number).  FYI I read that 1.21 can power about a million homes.  So maybe 121 GW can power the US.  I wonder what size fuse is needed for the US?  I think a 6 foot fuse at 100,000 volts will not last long.

So you need to say what voltage you are using.  At 5 volts maybe a fuse that is 1000 feet in diameter may work. Probably all the copper in the world would be needed to make the fuse.  I doubt that even Bill Gates could buy one.

Someone with a better calculator needs to do the math.  I am waiting for the video showing it measuring 1.21 GW.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #314 on: January 09, 2018, 05:06:53 am »
Dave

Thanks
My calculator cannot work with these numbers.  At 100,000 volts maybe a 6 foot diameter fuse may work. 

But there is a typo, it is 1.21 GW not 121 GW (the decimal is missing from the model number).  FYI I read that 1.21 can power about a million homes.  So maybe 121 GW can power the US.  I wonder what size fuse is needed for the US?  I think a 6 foot fuse at 100,000 volts will not last long.

So you need to say what voltage you are using.  At 5 volts maybe a fuse that is 1000 feet in diameter may work. Probably all the copper in the world would be needed to make the fuse.  I doubt that even Bill Gates could buy one.

Someone with a better calculator needs to do the math.  I am waiting for the video showing it measuring 1.21 GW.

We canmake it cheaper if made in China, and its a slow acting glass exploding style of fuse.  :-DD

Offline BVH

• Contributor
  • Searchlights to read a newpaper by at 2 miles
« Reply #315 on: January 09, 2018, 05:50:31 am »
Darn, didn't see this until just now.  Guess I'll have to keep checking back to see if and when they become available to non-Kickstarter participants.

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #316 on: January 09, 2018, 06:33:59 am »

Yes. In this case the parts were available, but at an exorbitant price. EUi were not going to eat that.

The good old Digikey paywall?  :-DD

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #317 on: January 09, 2018, 12:09:49 pm »
The 121GW multimeter arrived today.

I really appreciate for Dave to motivate me to make the first time to upload a video on youtube.

EEVblog Multimeter Unboxing, Continuity Voltage review
https://youtu.be/tqFaSVsl-R4

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, BravoV, rsjsouza, blueskull, ez24, AgiRigSig

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #318 on: January 09, 2018, 01:24:31 pm »
Thanks Dave for clarifying that. I will point to your post here every time, when I'll see that somebody is asking the same or similar.

Shorter answer: No, you can't have one yet. Go to the back of the queue and wait.  :popcorn:

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #319 on: January 09, 2018, 01:25:53 pm »
Dave

It'a almost as if you're intending to buy one of these without watching the informational videos that Dave is uploading.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #320 on: January 09, 2018, 02:19:08 pm »
Shorter answer: No, you can't have one yet. Go to the back of the queue and wait.  :popcorn:

I am backer #892.
Perhaps I want another one.

Offline GameProgrammer79

• Contributor
    • IoT Daemon
« Reply #321 on: January 09, 2018, 05:47:24 pm »
I am willing to buy if some one is done after review  :-DD.. it is a toy for electronics adults who play and play and rotate and rotate then give up after doing all voltage and current tests on youtube ;D :-DD
Folks I am getting back in Electronics game after 18 odd years :)

Offline GameProgrammer79

• Contributor
    • IoT Daemon
« Reply #322 on: January 09, 2018, 06:05:09 pm »
 >:D Shocking   >:D Some fraud created a Indigogo campaign copying Daves credentials for 121GW and he is selling for a $50 discount ..  :palm:
Folks I am getting back in Electronics game after 18 odd years :)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #323 on: January 09, 2018, 07:45:40 pm »
Wow, $1k already. Not bad for the scammers if it went unnoticed.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #324 on: January 09, 2018, 07:52:32 pm »
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf