Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 785683 times)

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #875 on: October 31, 2017, 06:52:09 pm »
I think I just got Poe'd...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #876 on: October 31, 2017, 07:10:25 pm »
The 102.5% gives it away.

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #877 on: October 31, 2017, 08:52:18 pm »
The 102.5% gives it away.
I did wonder, but I couldn't be sure!

Urgh... I've just came across cryogenically frozen VIDEOphile grade cables while ebaying for a UV filter. Ooft! I hear they allow you to zoom in further into your digital images than you can normally - just like in the movies - which, by the way, will look awesome because the electrons will be aligned better...

Doesn't seem as big a market as the audiophile market does though - I didn't spend long looking though ;)

Offline KNSSoftware

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #878 on: October 31, 2017, 09:01:24 pm »
In the UK we have a higher end department store that sells snake oil; parting the fat stupid women of their phat cash!

https://www.johnlewis.com/rodial-snake-booster-oil-30ml/p2691273

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #879 on: October 31, 2017, 09:31:32 pm »
I have come to the conclusion I'm in the wrong business.

The thing that gets me is, would I be a bad person if I sold people tiny bottles of shit and shiny cables for a fortune?

Is taking money from idiots bad or a justifiable punishment?

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #880 on: October 31, 2017, 11:37:53 pm »
In the UK we have a higher end department store that sells snake oil; parting the fat stupid women of their phat cash!

https://www.johnlewis.com/rodial-snake-booster-oil-30ml/p2691273
That is definitely a web page which needs to be cited more often.  :)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #881 on: November 01, 2017, 10:13:58 am »
I have come to the conclusion I'm in the wrong business.

The thing that gets me is, would I be a bad person if I sold people tiny bottles of shit and shiny cables for a fortune?

Is taking money from idiots bad or a justifiable punishment?

I've long been of that opinion about my own career, there is a yuge resource of idiocy out there just waiting to be exploited, in fact they're often begging to be exploited and will hand over their money with a smile on their face, but even better, they'll then tell other gullible idiots how great the deal was and be completely sincere about it.

It is absolutely clear that in the majority of cases of audiophoolery that there isn't any downside (other than mild, easily ignored ridicule) to selling the BS because people *want* to be conned, they want to believe they are somehow special, golden ears listeners.

I'm thinking I may have to visit my local stone merchant and see if they'll sell me some of their waste stone offcuts.

Z80

« Reply #882 on: November 02, 2017, 10:52:51 am »
Snake oil exists wherever there is a market involving the general masses, everyone is at it.  Doesn't matter if it's audio / video or brightly coloured bottles of liquid to pour into your car, BS is everywhere.  Just read some of the outrageous claims made on your wife's beauty products, the cosmetics industry makes audiofools look like rank amateurs  ;D.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #883 on: November 02, 2017, 12:06:00 pm »
Snake oil exists wherever there is a market involving the general masses, everyone is at it.  Doesn't matter if it's audio / video or brightly coloured bottles of liquid to pour into your car, BS is everywhere.  Just read some of the outrageous claims made on your wife's beauty products, the cosmetics industry makes audiofools look like rank amateurs  ;D.

I'd have to look at someone else's wife's cosmetics as I haven't and never have had one, frankly, looking at someone else's wife's cosmetics is a bit weird so I'll have to take your word for it.

The only real difference I suppose between cosmetics snake oil and audiophoolery is that we know enough about the technology to know it's BS, knowing enough about chemistry and biology to be able to debunk cosmetics is a more rare knowledge set...

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #884 on: November 02, 2017, 12:19:40 pm »

I'd have to look at someone else's wife's cosmetics as I haven't and never have had one, frankly, looking at someone else's wife's cosmetics is a bit weird so I'll have to take your word for it.

The only real difference I suppose between cosmetics snake oil and audiophoolery is that we know enough about the technology to know it's BS, knowing enough about chemistry and biology to be able to debunk cosmetics is a more rare knowledge set...

Now there's an interesting point... if anti-ageing creams actually worked*... would there still be a market for them?

*to be fair, some do actually hide wrinkles - usually by plastering a protein/carbohydrate/plastic (yes, plastic) over the skin that contracts as it dries, pulling the skin taut - at least until you wash your face. Still not worth £50 for a 30ml tub, though...

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #885 on: November 02, 2017, 12:42:17 pm »
I actually bought a tube of solder paste a while ago and my wife was shocked at how much it cost (was about £25). Then I pointed to her makeup bag and there was enlightenment.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #886 on: November 02, 2017, 12:43:56 pm »
Now there's an interesting point... if anti-ageing creams actually worked*... would there still be a market for them?

*to be fair, some do actually hide wrinkles - usually by plastering a protein/carbohydrate/plastic (yes, plastic) over the skin that contracts as it dries, pulling the skin taut - at least until you wash your face. Still not worth £50 for a 30ml tub, though...

And there's the other problem with marketing BS, there's a sweet spot somewhere for every product where selling price and perceived value match, if you're lucky that price point is high enough to make a business viable, if you're outlandishly lucky/skilled you can separate cost and price by a huge margin.

That's why so many cosmetics and other, generally low manufacture cost, BS products are in ever more luxurious packaging, if the product is perceived as being expensive then it has 'value', if you can convince someone to buy your expensive product then human nature makes them want to believe they've got value so they will defend their choices if confronted and thus the marketing wank begins to gain traction.

Once there's an established market for BS products then it becomes easier to make even more outlandish claims for efficacy of your own product.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #887 on: November 02, 2017, 01:10:05 pm »

Here's a simple guide to the biggest bullshit cosmetics (I learned this from TV and common knowledge, so not an expert)

-essenial oils, :bullshit:, they can say that about anything
-detoxifying, total utter :bullshit:, it's not possible to remove chemicals out through skin (skin is one way)
-random organic bits (X extract, essence of X, exc), these are more tricky, this is where you need to know organic chemistry to know if they will actually effect the skin, but alot of it is just for smell anyway

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #888 on: November 02, 2017, 03:21:52 pm »

Here's a simple guide to the biggest bullshit cosmetics (I learned this from TV and common knowledge, so not an expert)

-essenial oils, :bullshit:, they can say that about anything
-detoxifying, total utter :bullshit:, it's not possible to remove chemicals out through skin (skin is one way)
-random organic bits (X extract, essence of X, exc), these are more tricky, this is where you need to know organic chemistry to know if they will actually effect the skin, but alot of it is just for smell anyway

There are lots, they use all sorts of fancy, exotic and or scientific names for common as dirt ingredients, handy guide to some of them here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nomenclature_of_Cosmetic_Ingredients

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #889 on: November 02, 2017, 06:28:55 pm »
I’ve worked out my scam idea now.

I’m going to scam the scammers by setting up the best independent cable conditioning service in the business. You mail your cables to me and I’ll freeze them, burn them in and then run them through an audio VNA of my own dubious creation which will determine the best direction of the electron flow, label them up and provide a report as good as a your average Chinese AD584 paper report. I will charge $100 per cable plus shipping.

What will actually happen: fuck all other than unpack it and stick it in a nicer box and stick a piece of paper in with a plausible looking bode plot plus  some random noise from excel’s RNG in it.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #890 on: November 02, 2017, 06:35:02 pm »
I’ve worked out my scam idea now.

I’m going to scam the scammers by setting up the best independent cable conditioning service in the business. You mail your cables to me and I’ll freeze them, burn them in and then run them through an audio VNA of my own dubious creation which will determine the best direction of the electron flow, label them up and provide a report as good as a your average Chinese AD584 paper report. I will charge $100 per cable plus shipping.

What will actually happen: fuck all other than unpack it and stick it in a nicer box and stick a piece of paper in with a plausible looking bode plot plus  some random noise from excel’s RNG in it.
For bonus points you can put all the extra electrons that fell out of the cables during the burn in in a little sealed bag, you know, if they ever need replacement parts.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, djos, bd139

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #891 on: November 02, 2017, 06:49:51 pm »
Hahaha  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #892 on: November 02, 2017, 07:16:12 pm »
You also forgot to tie the cable ends in a knot to prevent any further electrons falling out.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #893 on: November 02, 2017, 08:06:24 pm »
Ah no, you need to place it into a box that's previously been used to house electrons from the highest spec cable you can find on the net, that way they can diffuse into the cheaper cable.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #894 on: November 02, 2017, 08:12:31 pm »
I wonder how many people would actually take that service up??
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #895 on: November 02, 2017, 08:21:03 pm »
When you open the box, it must play the Doctor Who theme, that way they know it's alien technology.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #896 on: November 02, 2017, 08:29:29 pm »
When you open the box, it must play the Doctor Who theme, that way they know it's alien technology.
No, that would add too much cost into the equation.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #897 on: November 02, 2017, 08:51:27 pm »
I’m going to scam the scammers by setting up the best independent cable conditioning service in the business. You mail your cables to me and I’ll freeze them, burn them in

How much do you charge for burning in and giving direction to fiber optic cables.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #898 on: November 02, 2017, 09:20:51 pm »
I’m going to scam the scammers by setting up the best independent cable conditioning service in the business. You mail your cables to me and I’ll freeze them, burn them in

How much do you charge for burning in and giving direction to fiber optic cables.

How much ya got?   ;D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #899 on: November 02, 2017, 09:22:28 pm »
Let me do the math. So we take the price of a Tesla model X, add income tax and accounting fees, operating costs, massage service and divide by 1000 and we set the minimum batch size of 1000 and there you go!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf