Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 779406 times)

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #375 on: February 26, 2014, 08:59:44 am »
This was in the local paper this morning...

Yes, it's a coil. That goes around a pipe.
I've seen something similar many years ago in an magazine.  It used magnets wrapped around the water pipe.
Supposedly the magnetic field will somehow keep the minerals dissolved in water, preventing scaling.  :-\
I've also seen an ad for a similar gadget that you placed around the fuel line of your car to improve fuel economy.  Again, the magnetic field was supposed to align the gasoline molecules, improving combustion...  :-DD
Didn't buy them. So I can't confirm that they don't work... ::)

If every car was fitted with all the devices that claimed to increase fuel economy by 10% or more, global warming would end and the roads would be awash with all the petrol being pumped out of the cars exhaust pipes as the would have passed from burning the stuff to creating it.

Offline nihilism

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #376 on: February 26, 2014, 03:50:56 pm »
One for the Aussies. Anyone remember the Peter Brock Energy Polariser?

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/polariser-hdt-drawn-together-again-20111014-1lnx0.html

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
"The demise of silicon" (snake oil ad)
« Reply #377 on: February 27, 2014, 05:31:15 am »
So I saw this banner ad (not on this site)

And thought, what crap.  I clicked it just to see what it was, and it was just about graphene. Still I don't see what makes it fit all the claims of the ad. Does graphene magically accelerate electrons?

Plus (as I expected) when I closed the tab, it redirected me to another site with a plea from some person about the "investment of a lifetime" and followed by a pop up making sure I was "sure" I wanted to walk away.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
Re: "The demise of silicon" (snake oil ad)
« Reply #378 on: February 27, 2014, 03:12:24 pm »

And thought, what crap.  I clicked it just to see what it was, and it was just about graphene. Still I don't see what makes it fit all the claims of the ad. Does graphene magically accelerate electrons?

Plus (as I expected) when I closed the tab, it redirected me to another site with a plea from some person about the "investment of a lifetime" and followed by a pop up making sure I was "sure" I wanted to walk away.

Graphene has very low resistivity and high electron mobility. Its a better conductor at room temp than silver.

Offline Pillager

• Supporter
« Reply #379 on: March 04, 2014, 06:17:10 pm »
Just found something very useful...

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/freee-free-energy-for-everybody

...and along with all the other free energy stuff out there, all our energy problems seem to be solved  :phew:  ::)
Greets

Tom

Offline uwezi

• Supporter
    • GreenPhotons
« Reply #380 on: March 04, 2014, 06:28:45 pm »
Graphene has very low resistivity and high electron mobility. Its a better conductor at room temp than silver.

...if you compare a layer of silver as thin as a single sheet of graphene with just that, a single sheet of graphene...

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #381 on: March 15, 2014, 11:35:28 pm »
Do you think this soap does what it claims to https://www.lush.co.uk/product/362/Snake-Oil-Scalp-Treatment-Bar
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #382 on: March 25, 2014, 04:50:36 pm »
It contains Juniper tar, Tar, cresols and phenols have long been used by the medical profession for treating skin and scalp problems. They put me on tar related product to treat psoriasis but as I am allergic to both cresols and phenols  all they did was to exacerbate the problem and some of the quacks won't or don't believe in allergies  and try to insist on the use of them, then lecture you on the dangers of sunlight or UVB treatment while ignoring the carcinogenic and toxic properties of cresol and phenol.

Offline microbug

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #383 on: April 10, 2014, 08:53:02 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26963255

That 'nano-technology' looks an awful lot like super-capacitors.

Offline daveshah

• Supporter
    • Projects
« Reply #384 on: April 10, 2014, 09:56:17 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26963255

That 'nano-technology' looks an awful lot like super-capacitors.
A decent phone battery is about 9Wh. Therefore to charge it in 30 seconds you would need a 1kW power supply - not going to be very portable.

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #385 on: April 10, 2014, 04:02:27 pm »
I don't see how that cell phone battery is that amazing.  They installed something that nearly tripled the thickness of the phone, charge it with a dual banana-jack cable (which indicates to me that they were using a lab power supply), and after charging, they get 2-3 hours of use out of it.  It sounds like they just put a bunch of supercapacitors in an enclosure, and mated them to the battery contacts on the phone.  I don't think supercaps with enough capacity to match current cell phone battery life will ever be small enough to fit in the same battery compartment as a current LiIon battery pack.  Plus, the charger that dumps 5+ amps into the supercaps would be expensive and unwieldy compared to modern 5 VDC, 2 A chargers.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
Re: "The demise of silicon" (snake oil ad)
« Reply #386 on: April 10, 2014, 07:09:29 pm »

But is graphene doomed before it starts, Stanene is on it way.  http://phys.org/news/2013-11-d-tin-super-material.html

Offline Zepnat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #387 on: April 11, 2014, 08:32:08 pm »
"Wireless anti-static wrist bands.

Static dissipative strap without grounding cord, convenient to operate

Avoid the trouble of ground cord and reduce the damage of electric components accidently
Great wrist strap for electrician or IC / PLCC worker"

I thought the whole point of static dissipative wrist bands were to gently drain any charge away to earth through a wire
Wireless ?  :-// They seem quite popular!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Static-Wrist-Band-Wristband-Strap-Discharge-Cables-Wireless-Cordless-Slim-/120814630101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c211cf4d5

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:35:35 pm by Zepnat »

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #388 on: April 12, 2014, 01:26:49 am »
Shipping from China seriously must be free.  If I were to buy a 10 MOhm resistor, put it in a plastic case and attach an elastic wrist band to it, it would be at least 50 cents in materials...even in large quantities.  How they sell something like that for 99 cents with free shipping is absolutely incredible.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: April 12, 2014, 03:33:04 am »
With regards to the cheap shipping from China to Australia, I heard that China (gov't) subsidises the outgoing mail and Australia Post effectively has to pick up the tab for the Australian delivery leg.

If that's true, with the increasing trend of China-Australia retail sales it's no wonder Australia Post is loosing money.

Offline Zepnat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #390 on: April 12, 2014, 09:09:13 pm »
So what do you think of the wireless earth strap. It could never work could it?

RE: cheap shipping from china.

I must admit I was amazed at the stupidly low price of this and ive bought a Lot of stuff from china over the years.

They work really well.

$1.21    TP4056  Li-ion Battery Charging Module  worldwide free shipping

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1453504

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #391 on: April 13, 2014, 03:14:30 am »
"Wireless anti-static wrist bands.

Static dissipative strap without grounding cord, convenient to operate

Avoid the trouble of ground cord and reduce the damage of electric components accidently
Great wrist strap for electrician or IC / PLCC worker"

I thought the whole point of static dissipative wrist bands were to gently drain any charge away to earth through a wire
Wireless ?  :-// They seem quite popular!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Static-Wrist-Band-Wristband-Strap-Discharge-Cables-Wireless-Cordless-Slim-/120814630101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c211cf4d5

I did a "teardown" on this forum of one for laughs. There is a single 1M ohm resistor inside. They are, indeed, useless. I converted mine to a strapped unit as the band is conductive.

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #392 on: April 13, 2014, 04:37:45 am »
kind of like a factory girl walking around the factory floor, holding a static sensitive board on top of its esd bag thinking it is blessed to be protected..
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline dc101

• Regular Contributor
Re: $3300 "charge accelerator and toroid generator"
« Reply #393 on: April 21, 2014, 04:28:45 pm »
EE quackery is alive and well!

http://quantamagnetics.com/    :bullshit:
"The Q3 Charge Accelerator & Toriod Generator. An experimental generator designed as an alternative energy system element expansion, best used with low power solar input for charging of lead acid battery bank. The advanced Toroidal Generator addition provides extra  power output and allows for high voltage experiments."

:o

This guy is still at it!  Now he has a fancy website, http://quantamagnetics.com/   I guess by selling these as "experimental generators" he can claim it's not a scam.  Is it me or did he basically hook a home-made generator up to a home-made motor?

-Tim

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: April 21, 2014, 08:58:58 pm »
This guy is still at it!  Now he has a fancy website, http://quantamagnetics.com/   I guess by selling these as "experimental generators" he can claim it's not a scam.  Is it me or did he basically hook a home-made generator up to a home-made motor?

-Tim

Yep. But if watch the video you realize it's not just any ol' generator, but a bi-filar wound generator :) 
and it avoids those silly laws created for no good reason whatsoever by that Lenz guy.

Physics got you down?  no problem... we don't need no stinkin' laws...

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #395 on: April 23, 2014, 10:36:51 am »

RETURNS NOT ACCEPTED. Due to the custom nature of these products, we do not accept returns.
Pretty much sums up the whole free energy scene... also "Results may vary."
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline mamalala

• Supporter
« Reply #396 on: April 23, 2014, 11:50:31 am »
This guy is still at it!

If you want to see something where people are _really_ persistant, then google for "SEG searl effect generator". That scam goes on for many decades now. That wonderous machine is supposed to not only produce free energy, but is also ablle to defy gravity as well as curing cancer! And Searl got all that in a dream!

Makes a fantastic research project into human stupidity to keep you busy for some days.

Greetings,

Chris

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #397 on: April 23, 2014, 07:09:38 pm »
One of my favorite scams is a presentation made in a rented hotel room.  The guy demonstrated a motor and a generator.  Using some trickery, he "shows" that the motor generates more mechanical output power than it takes in as electrical power.  Likewise, he "shows" that the generator generates more electrical output power than it requires as input power. 

However, the two devices aren't connected together and running perpetually, because "we got in late last night, and <whoever, I forget the name> didn't have time to connect the two together.  Clearly, you can see that if we did connect them, it would run forever and generate free power, but man, poor 'ole <whoever> was tired.  You can't blame him for needing rest, now, can you?"

I wonder how many times he made the same speech, and if anyone ever bought it?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #398 on: April 24, 2014, 01:43:10 am »
Oh, that's OK.  Let poor 'ole <whoever> have his rest.
Lets us hook it up right now!  Boy am I excited to see this!    :palm:

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #399 on: April 24, 2014, 12:12:22 pm »
That reminds me of the hotel demonstration scam from the 50's where tap water from the hotel bathroom was turned into petrol by the addition of the magic compound. The trick was that petrol was first pumped back up the hotels plumbing before the press presentation then of course when the water was run from the bath petrol came out at first. It caught a lot of people though before the guy got caught.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf