Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 779439 times)

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #400 on: April 24, 2014, 12:21:15 pm »
That reminds me of the hotel demonstration scam from the 50's where tap water from the hotel bathroom was turned into petrol by the addition of the magic compound. The trick was that petrol was first pumped back up the hotels plumbing before the press presentation then of course when the water was run from the bath petrol came out at first. It caught a lot of people though before the guy got caught.
I'd hate to be the guy who owns the hotel.

Client: My toilet caught fire, and I tried to put it out with water from the sink.  Does this normally happen?

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #401 on: April 24, 2014, 01:44:35 pm »
With regards to the cheap shipping from China to Australia, I heard that China (gov't) subsidises the outgoing mail and Australia Post effectively has to pick up the tab for the Australian delivery leg.
For international post it used to be (probably still is) that a country's postal service retained the revenue from stuff going out and handled incomming stuff for "free" on the principle that it all balanced itself out in the end.

Of course at the moment there's a lot more coming out of China than going in so the Chinese government can afford to charge low rates for outbound international mail (in fact not subsidising but just charging for the leg within China) and, yes, the result is that the rest of the world subsidises the trade.

Can you blame them really?

Offline Jarrod Roberson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #402 on: May 17, 2014, 06:01:39 pm »
This was posted on a Bass Musician Electronic Magazine page I follow on facebook:
"I use the MusicCord-Pro Power Cord live and in the studio
and I've been astonished at the difference a power cord can make. It produces a clear, full bass tone that's true to the sound of my instrument. I'll never go back."

Check out the NEW Gerald Veasley Signature MusicCord-PRO!

http://www.essentialsound.com/guitar-bass.htm#gerald-veasley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bass-Musician-Magazine/111340148878929?fref=nf

Why do people insist that because you might know how to play an instrument, it makes you an expert in electronics or physics?

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #403 on: May 18, 2014, 10:34:46 am »
This was posted on a Bass Musician Electronic Magazine page I follow on facebook:
"I use the MusicCord-Pro Power Cord live and in the studio
and I've been astonished at the difference a power cord can make. It produces a clear, full bass tone that's true to the sound of my instrument. I'll never go back."

Check out the NEW Gerald Veasley Signature MusicCord-PRO!

http://www.essentialsound.com/guitar-bass.htm#gerald-veasley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bass-Musician-Magazine/111340148878929?fref=nf

Why do people insist that because you might know how to play an instrument, it makes you an expert in electronics or physics?

Might be that they can play well but it may also be the placebo effect
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline Jarrod Roberson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #404 on: May 20, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »
see the asses at that Bass Musician Magazine facebook page, deleted mine and a few others people posts about how that was a scam, and blocked us all! I love getting banned by idiots! Confirms that they are idiots and can't stand the truth.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #405 on: May 20, 2014, 03:45:37 pm »
see the asses at that Bass Musician Magazine facebook page, deleted mine and a few others people posts about how that was a scam, and blocked us all! I love getting banned by idiots! Confirms that they are idiots and can't stand the truth.
Or maybe it is just economic.  Magazines are on the ropes because of competition from the interweb. They can't afford to antagonize advertisers (or potential advertisers).

Offline corrado33

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The snake oil thread...
« Reply #406 on: May 25, 2014, 10:10:09 pm »
Not exactly tech/engineering related, but fits the snake oil thread perfectly:

...it's painful...

I know this is from page 2... but I stopped after "Stephen Hawkings" HAHAHAHA Don't ask me how I got through E=mc ~ E=Infinitesimally small # * c ~ E=c

Offline vtkkorhanjoh

• Contributor
« Reply #407 on: June 15, 2014, 08:51:59 pm »
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mydx

I think I found another one. A swiss army knife of chemical detectors, it is supposed to be "able to quantify chemicals to within 20% of conventional gas chromatography (GC) instrument values.  Our subsequent generation devices and sensors will target a marginal error rate of within 5% of GC values." They do not explaun what type of sensor they are using, other than it being a sort of "chemical nose", being able to detect presence of various chemicals in both gasses, solids and liquids, no matter what concentration.  :palm:

At first i thought raman spectroscope, but that would only work for solids and a few liquids, and gas chromatography would not be practical in this sized apparatus. It might not be bullshit, but as far as I can tell it shure smells like it.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #408 on: June 16, 2014, 12:05:00 pm »
Well, my BS meter exploded, so I can't give you the exact BS value, but...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schumann-Resonator-Chartres-audiophile-tweak-with-Enclosure-Case-/251518984613?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a8fb321a5

By the way, if I use a different pattern, say, a pentagram, will it improve my black death metal collection reception, or...?

Anyway... it's apparently better than BStron and BSMaximizer... or some such...
Tips: You can place a CD on coil area for 10 seconds, This amazing tweak works like Bedini Clarifier or Furutech CD Demagnetizer. After treatment, sound is more clear, 3D, detail and musical. It really works !!
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #409 on: June 16, 2014, 06:26:28 pm »
Well, my BS meter exploded, so I can't give you the exact BS value, but...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schumann-Resonator-Chartres-audiophile-tweak-with-Enclosure-Case-/251518984613?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a8fb321a5

By the way, if I use a different pattern, say, a pentagram, will it improve my black death metal collection reception, or...?

Anyway... it's apparently better than BStron and BSMaximizer... or some such...
Tips: You can place a CD on coil area for 10 seconds, This amazing tweak works like Bedini Clarifier or Furutech CD Demagnetizer. After treatment, sound is more clear, 3D, detail and musical. It really works !!

and if you use a CD re-winder to re-wind the CD to it's beginning after playing.. .then you get even better results  :-DD

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #410 on: June 17, 2014, 06:23:58 pm »
I think I found another one. A swiss army knife of chemical detectors, it is supposed to be "able to quantify chemicals to within 20% of conventional gas chromatography (GC) instrument values.  Our subsequent generation devices and sensors will target a marginal error rate of within 5% of GC values." They do not explaun what type of sensor they are using, other than it being a sort of "chemical nose", being able to detect presence of various chemicals in both gasses, solids and liquids, no matter what concentration.  :palm:

At first i thought raman spectroscope, but that would only work for solids and a few liquids, and gas chromatography would not be practical in this sized apparatus. It might not be bullshit, but as far as I can tell it shure smells like it.

I remember reading of one solution the US troops used in Gulf war 1 to do something to detect gases. They took a common desert rodent, placed it in a plastic cage and placed it in the place in the tank where the NBC contamination detector was supposed to be installed. Then kept an eye on it and looked for a change in behaviour ( from moving to on back pushing up daisies) to decide when to close the air inlets and go to full recirculation.

Not that it was likely to be a good detector, but it served a morale boosting role. The US was concerned about the artillery that Saddam had, and they had a right to be. Better range and better accuracy. Of course that did depend on having people who knew how to use and service it though. Was good to watch the Made For TV weapons the US had though.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #411 on: June 18, 2014, 08:31:05 am »
and if you use a CD re-winder to re-wind the CD to it's beginning after playing.. .then you get even better results 

Hey, where can I get one of those - I've a whole stack of CD's that I've played through and are now stuck after the last track - I could really do with a rewinder.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #412 on: June 18, 2014, 09:07:33 am »
Send them to me, I'll rewind them for you for £1 each.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #413 on: June 18, 2014, 12:47:18 pm »
probably we should design one rewinder and start a kickstarter campaign  :-DD

Offline sunnyhighway

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #414 on: June 27, 2014, 10:40:54 am »

Too late...

It was already invented in 2008.

http://cd-dvd-rewinder-pro.updatestar.com

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #415 on: June 30, 2014, 05:35:35 am »

Too late...

It was already invented in 2008.

http://cd-dvd-rewinder-pro.updatestar.com

From the makers of such wonderful software as "Conspiracy Revealer" and "DetectSatan 2.0"  :-DD

http://www.updatestar.com/publisher/Unusual%20Software
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #416 on: July 03, 2014, 12:42:59 pm »
"Wireless anti-static wrist bands.

Static dissipative strap without grounding cord, convenient to operate

Avoid the trouble of ground cord and reduce the damage of electric components accidently
Great wrist strap for electrician or IC / PLCC worker"

I thought the whole point of static dissipative wrist bands were to gently drain any charge away to earth through a wire
Wireless ?  :-// They seem quite popular!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Static-Wrist-Band-Wristband-Strap-Discharge-Cables-Wireless-Cordless-Slim-/120814630101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c211cf4d5

I did a "teardown" on this forum of one for laughs. There is a single 1M ohm resistor inside. They are, indeed, useless. I converted mine to a strapped unit as the band is conductive.

I just decided to read through all the snake oil.  I think we should group buy a couple of thousand and sell them to the audiophiles so they can "safely" handle their precious CDs and records without compromising tonal purity, soundstage edification and the ethereal listening pleasure they will gain.  Price?  Why, only $999.99 with free shipping.  Call 1-800-NO STATIC.  Operators are standing by to take you. :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
Re: The snake oil thread...
« Reply #417 on: August 12, 2014, 11:05:49 pm »
Not exactly tech/engineering related, but fits the snake oil thread perfectly:

...it's painful...

this is so painful. I got so angry at the screen after 2 minutes that I had to shut it off.

unbelievable.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #418 on: August 12, 2014, 11:39:27 pm »
this is so painful. I got so angry at the screen after 2 minutes that I had to shut it off.

unbelievable.
I recently watched/skipped/watched a TED vid on how to beam energy around with ground breaking inefficiency using ultrasound, powered by non-linear thinking. I have survived the Timecube. I feel totally ready for this. Wish me luck! :box:

*clickey* *watch*

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #419 on: August 12, 2014, 11:50:30 pm »
This is ear bleedingly amusing. Now real question is: "Does she believe her own bullshit, and where can I buy these happy pills?"

She forgets to take advantage of boost method in particle physics. Boost her <insert bullshit here> along one axis (space oriented), and you can do a round of  :blah: and tada mass crossed out. Or c^2 crossed out. Or momentum crossed out. Totally depending on how you want to spin the bullshit. Talk about missed opportunity.

One drawback, the bullshitting is too slow. Bullshit FASTERRR! Nope, takes too long.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #420 on: August 15, 2014, 12:34:52 pm »
... :o ...  ??? ... :palm: ...  :wtf: ... *

... well... the twitch I developed from that video ain't going away anytime soon...

* - We live in an amazing age when it's possible to sum up an emotional state in four little pictures...
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #421 on: August 16, 2014, 01:53:58 am »
If you think you knew everything about frequency measurement techniques,  watch this and learn how to operate a Radionics frequency counter and get some goodies along the way

And yes, inside this $1 Chinese wooden box frequency counter there is a special circuit designed by a master Radionics technician (MRT ?). Apparently because of this reason it does not require a battery.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #422 on: August 16, 2014, 02:30:42 am »
Good news, Radionics method also works for spectrum analysis

http://www.wishingmachineproject.com/the-spectralizer/

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline janekm

• Supporter
« Reply #423 on: August 31, 2014, 11:18:50 pm »
If you think you knew everything about frequency measurement techniques,  watch this and learn how to operate a Radionics frequency counter and get some goodies along the way

And yes, inside this $1 Chinese wooden box frequency counter there is a special circuit designed by a master Radionics technician (MRT ?). Apparently because of this reason it does not require a battery.

For some reason I actually believe them that the box is made IN THA UNITED STATES OF AMURCA... By the MRT with a glue gun ;)

Offline BitShard

• Contributor
« Reply #424 on: September 14, 2014, 09:54:36 am »
Seen this one before?

http://geetinternational.com/GEET%20-%20Small%20Engine%20Conversion%20Plans%5B1%5D.pdf

Supposedly a modification which allows your engines to run on just about anything by transmuting them to lighter elements... Or something along those lines.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf