Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1100303 times)

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Re: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol
« Reply #425 on: January 14, 2013, 12:07:06 am »
Just uploaded a minor bug fix for the Rigol UltraVision Utilities. This version now allows dropping markers while using the Delayed Sweep (Zoom Window) on the Rigol - and jumping between them. More features to come when I'm back at my studio (and my DSO) in 2 weeks.

I still haven't heard from any DS4000 (or, god forbid, DS6000) owners if the software works for them. I'd love to know.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #426 on: January 14, 2013, 02:27:01 am »
For the need of  an External trigger and 2GSa/s ,
It is best to use Chan 2 and External, this is a Work around to avoid having to power-off and on for uses of Chan 1 and external Trigger .

But how do you know for sure it's 2GSa/s? Did you check the number of samples?

According to the Rigol guy: "In digital trigger ,even we turn off CH1 ,but actually it still work in the background ,so the MaX. sample rate for CH2 and Ext IS 1G Sa/s ."

And what kind of signal are you using for the External Trigger?

Also according to the Rigol guy, one of the advantages of the digital trigger is no offset.

Why does it seem you have no offset in the first image - and 4ns in the second?
Nevermind this last one - I see that the first is labelled CH2 triggered.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:31:32 am by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #427 on: January 14, 2013, 03:25:30 am »
Hmm... I feel our communication is not working very well.

Yes no offset if using Chan 1 and/or Chan 2 as trigger, (1GSa)

The offset I (and the Rigol guy) was talking about is on the External (Digital) Trigger - nothing to do with channel triggering. He claims no offset on External Trigger.

Go back to old msg for Dots at display of 2GSa/s and set to External

Perhaps I'm being dense, but I don't see any image of Channel 2 & Ext. Trigger as dots. He says Channel 2 & External Trigger = 1 GSa/s. I'm trying to discover if what he says is correct or false.

Does someone have 2 output function gen with phase offset to test
mmm I'm thinking of DG3062

Wouldn't just a FG with Sync output to External Trigger work to measure offset?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:37:25 am by marmad »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #428 on: January 14, 2013, 06:34:47 am »
DS2202 FW1.00.05

Screen saver works!

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #429 on: January 14, 2013, 06:45:36 am »

BTW, I'm just about to upload a bug-fix for RUU (version 1.51) for you. I found one line of code with a TypeConversion mistake. When you get a chance, please download the new version, switch your Windows settings back to ',' for decimal point and try to enter 'Zoom Markers'. I think it should work fine for you now.

Yes, it works now.
Thanks!

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #430 on: January 14, 2013, 07:30:22 am »
OK to more complete here are #1  Chan1 with EXT , dots, and Chan 2 with Ext and Dots

Thanks for that, Teneyes! Strange, the Rigol guy doesn't seem to be correct with what he said - so I think he misunderstood our big report. I will have send drieg another message to try to clarify this bug for Rigol.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #431 on: January 14, 2013, 07:32:05 am »
Yes, it works now.
Thanks!

Good to hear it, EV. Thanks for checking.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #432 on: January 14, 2013, 09:37:23 am »
No worries, there's no rush. Thanks for the assistance guys.

Screen saver works! FW 1.00.05 DS2202

Edit: New animated gif
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:08:04 pm by EV »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #433 on: January 14, 2013, 04:01:54 pm »
Screen saver works! FW 1.00.05 DS2202

@EV: Thanks for checking. Is it possible we could get one other owner with a DS2072 and FW 01.00.05 to check their screen saver? Sparky? I can't imagine that it has anything to do with model number, but it might be good to be sure.

However now I still have the initial problem.. No screensaver :(

@Orbiter: Since two others with the same firmware as you have it working, time to try various settings on the scope to see which one might affect it. I'd start with a 'reset' to default settings (I can't remember in which menu that is located on the DSO - but I know it's there) - then try the screen saver again first before altering anything. Then - with screen saver set to time out in 1 minute, I'd try changing some of the more obvious settings/options and give it a minute to timeout.

BTW, do you have any trial or permanent options running? Both EV and I have at least one permanent option - which, theoretically, might make a difference. That's another reason it would be good to hear from another DS2072/FW 01.00.05 user.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #434 on: January 14, 2013, 04:32:05 pm »
Is it possible we could get one other owner with a DS2072 and FW 01.00.05 to check their screen saver? Sparky?

DS2072 with FW 01.00.05:
Screen saver works for me too!  (Screen saver 'type' is set to "Default" (grayed out)).

Sorry for my lack of input recently --- a few too many things on my desk right now...don't know how you do it marmad, even on travel!

I can try testing the 2G Sa/s on both Ch 1 and Ch 2 with ext. trigger, as there are still questions on that issue...  I have a DG4062 near by if we need two signals with phase offset.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #435 on: January 14, 2013, 05:19:31 pm »
I can try testing the 2G Sa/s on both Ch 1 and Ch 2 with ext. trigger, as there are still questions on that issue...  I have a DG4062 near by if we need two signals with phase offset.

Great! There is clearly a misunderstanding about our bug report vs. what Rigol thinks the problem is/isn't.

If you could just check (using dots) what the real sample rate is when the DSO displays 1 GSa/s after choosing CH1 & Ext. Trigger - then reboot and check it again after it displays 2 GSa/s - we would know for sure if it was an actual sample rate setting bug - or a display of sample rate bug.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:52:48 pm by marmad »

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #436 on: January 14, 2013, 05:59:08 pm »

Great! There is clearly a misunderstanding about our bug report vs. what Rigol thinks the problem is/isn't.

If you could just check (using dots) what the real sample rate is when the DSO displays 1 GSa/s after choosing CH1 & Ext. Trigger - then reboot and check it again after it displays 2 GSa/s - we would know for sure if it was an actual sample rate setting bug - or a display of sample rate bug.

Test done!  Seems the 2G Sa/s is the real deal when using Ext trigger (after reboot)!  So, display on the scope is correct, and it is indeed bug in the firmware which requires reboot of the scope to get this 2G S/s.

I input a 20MHz sine wave to Ch 1, and first test with internal trigger, then external trigger (before and after reboot).  Please see pics attached!  (Sorry, I don't see how to put pics inline...)

Let's forward this clarified bug report to Rigol via our friend drieg!

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #437 on: January 14, 2013, 06:08:59 pm »
Test done!  Seems the 2G Sa/s is the real deal when using Ext trigger (after reboot)!  So, display on the scope is correct, and it is indeed bug in the firmware which requires reboot of the scope to get this 2G S/s.

Thanks, Sparky. I've d/led your .pngs and will forward them on with explanation to drieg to pass on to Rigol.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #438 on: January 14, 2013, 06:31:18 pm »
All of our other bugs have been confirmed (or denied that they were bugs - in the case of the clear waveform first 'design choice') by Rigol - except the following:
  • The AUTO bug: they haven't been able to replicate any problems.
  • The Playback looping bug: they needed clarification; I sent the simple method for testing it which I posted earlier in this thread.
  • The 7MB read error bug: I passed along the Rigol Memory Read Test, which makes it easy to see that 7MB transfer totals don't add up to 7MB.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #439 on: January 14, 2013, 07:03:13 pm »
Let's forward this clarified bug report to Rigol via our friend drieg!

Here are the same pictures from my scope DS2202, which Sparky sent :

Offline sanka

• Contributor
How can I get the new firmware?
« Reply #440 on: January 14, 2013, 08:14:57 pm »
Thanks to the excellent review by marmad, and everyone's contribution to this thread, I have ordered a DS2072 which arrives in two days. I am looking forward to it.

From the discussions here, it appears that I should upgrade to firmware 1.00.05 when the unit arrives (assuming it is not already at that level). Can someone please let me know how I would go about getting the firmware?

I am in California. I ordered the scope from tequipment.net. Looking at the UPS tracking information, it looks like this unit is being drop shipped from Rigol NA in Ohio.

Thanks

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #441 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:29 pm »
Here are the same pictures from my scope DS2202, which Sparky sent :

Excellent!  So now we have confirmed this bug for both DS2072 and DS2202!  I guess single firmware fix will resolve the problem for all DS2000 series.

Offline Chalky

• Regular Contributor
REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol
« Reply #442 on: January 14, 2013, 08:21:31 pm »
Yes, thanks also from me to Marmad and others.  It is your efforts, advice, opinions, discussions, disagreements etc. that help others like me with what is for some of us a significant purchasing decision.  Much appreciated, thank you.  Have bought my DS2072 from Emona, found them very friendly and helpful so far.  Other scope vendors haven't bothered replying to my sales enquiries.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:24:22 pm by Chalky »

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How can I get the new firmware?
« Reply #443 on: January 14, 2013, 08:42:24 pm »
From the discussions here, it appears that I should upgrade to firmware 1.00.05 when the unit arrives (assuming it is not already at that level). Can someone please let me know how I would go about getting the firmware?

Welcome!

I am in SoCal, and ordered from tequipment.net also.  I did not get the firmware update from Rigol NA or Tequipment.net (even though I asked them for it).  Instead, a forum member provided it to me, and it has since been kindly uploaded by another member.  See this post in marmad's software tips and tricks thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/software-tips-and-tricks-for-rigol-ds200040006000-ultravision-dsos/msg175707/#msg175707

Be sure to read the warnings and follow instructions upgrading the firmware --- only do upgrade during BOOT!  Search this thread and the above thread for details on the procedure.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:57:08 pm by Sparky »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #444 on: January 14, 2013, 08:44:11 pm »
Excellent!  So now we have confirmed this bug for both DS2072 and DS2202!  I guess single firmware fix will resolve the problem for all DS2000 series.

@ Sparky and Narmad

Here is more information about this bug:

If I stop the scope when changing from ch1 trigger to external trigger 2 GSa/s does not change to 1 GSa/s. When pressing run again it keeps still at 2 GSa/s. So there is no need to restart the scope.

If scope is not stopped 2 GSa/s changes to 1 GSa/s, when you move trigger to ch2 and keeps there also at external trigger. So it looks that going through ch2 trigger does this bug, if scope is not stopped.

I hope you understand what I am telling.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:54:11 pm by EV »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #445 on: January 14, 2013, 09:56:44 pm »
Be sure to read the warnings and follow instructions upgrading the firmware --- only do upgrade during BOOT!  Search this thread and the above thread for details on the procedure.

I've (finally) updated the first post in this thread to include both the instructions for getting detailed version info, as well as how to safely upgrade from 02 to 05. So we can now just point people to there.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #446 on: January 14, 2013, 10:00:12 pm »
It is good that there is no trigger level line on the trace as the trigger level is unrelated to the displayed  signal,  but it this test by connectting to the same point , we know they are the same and can realize the offset.

You can also look at the displayed voltage level of External Trigger at the top right corner of the screen  ;)

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #447 on: January 14, 2013, 10:12:05 pm »
From the discussions here, it appears that I should upgrade to firmware 1.00.05 when the unit arrives (assuming it is not already at that level).
@sanka (and other prospective new owners): First off - welcome to the party ;D Us early adopters gotta stick together!

Secondly: I had been constantly recommending people to upgrade to FW 05 asap - because of the erroneous memory write problems which MIGHT occur while using FW 02. But since the discovery of the Memory Read bug in FW 05 (Software can't read sample memory from scope: #9 in our compiled list of bugs in the first post of this thread), I would just urge you to think a moment before upgrading if you use (or want to use fairly soon) MATLAB, LabVIEW, or any other third party software which needs to read the sample memory for processing.

If that's not an issue for you, then upgrading is probably the best bet. If you do decide to stay with FW 02. I would refrain from using the internal memory to save setups, reference waveforms, files, etc - and stick to using an external USB stick (or RUU  :) ).

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #448 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:05 pm »
BTW, if someone feels up to doing a little research (which is needed for RUU and other prospective processing software), maybe they can help with the following:

I had started to write a graphics routine for displaying the Rigol's waveforms real-time (not, of course, at 50k per second  ;) but something reasonably speedy) before I had to leave on my current travels, but I still hadn't cracked the purpose behind the 1400 bytes Rigol uses per channel for display memory.

The actual screen display for the waveforms is 700x400 pixels, so I thought perhaps each 2 bytes is a 16-bit word for either 12-bit ADC values (high-res mode) - or for unscaled 400 vertical points - or perhaps for intensity grading - but if any of those are the case, then I don't understand why the DSO saves them as 1400 separate voltages when it creates a CSV file.

Anyway, I sent an email to drieg earlier today (since I know he's working on decoding the new WFM format Rigol uses for the UltraVision DSOs) but he didn't know either.

It wouldn't be so hard to figure out with a little testing: you can save a waveform file, modify a byte or two with a bin/hex editor, and then reload them into the scope and see what they produce on the display - I just didn't find the time before I left - but I need to figure it out to finish RUU's display of waveforms. Anyone interested in poking around? It will be 2 more weeks until I'm back near my Rigol  :(
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:41:13 am by marmad »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #449 on: January 15, 2013, 08:01:54 am »
DS2072 FW 1.00.02 
Can someone  please verify .

DS2202 FW 1.00.05

If the scope is triggering to the rising edge the horizontal offset is very small. When triggering to the falling edge there is horizontal offset which is dependent on the frequency, 4 ns at 10 MHz and 2 ns at 20 MHz. Look at pictures.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf