Author Topic: The Art Of Electronics 3rd Edition  (Read 198763 times)

Offline LADmachining

• Contributor
Re: The Art Of Electronics 3rd Edition
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2015, 11:29:09 am »
My copy (delivered by Amazon UK on Weds 1st Apr) has the waviness to the pages, although the wavelength is double that shown in the pictures posted previously  by Schopi68.

I'm not sure it will flatten out as the spine is wider than the pages so the hardcover boards only apply pressure to the pages at the free end.

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: April 05, 2015, 11:54:09 am »
Decided to remove my post on the grounds that though it was meant humorously, on second reading it was a bit sarcastic and I don't want to belittle issues that clearly are of importance to some.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:24:22 pm by jpb »

Offline Docholiday

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #177 on: April 05, 2015, 12:10:20 pm »
My God! This has got out of control of all the things to complain about and to take the time to write about it? Does it really matter in the end? Is the book still readable? We should be more concerned about its errors than about some stupid wavy pages. So, what! The pages are wavy because the book was press printed on thin paper with high moisture content, period. This saves costs to increase profit for the publisher. I pay 300 plus US dollars for each book at school with the same exact issue. By end of the semester the books are flat and waves are gone (well, almost).

Now lts all get back to what is really important and that is Electronics!  :-+
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:13:40 pm by Docholiday »

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #178 on: April 05, 2015, 01:29:00 pm »
My God! This has got out of control of all the things to complain about and to take the time to write about it? Does it really matter in the end? Is the book still readable? We should be more concerned about its errors than about some stupid wavy pages. So, what! The pages are wavy because the book was press printed on thin paper with high moisture content, period. This saves costs to increase profit for the publisher. I pay 300 plus US dollars for each book at school with the same exact issue. By end of the semester the books are flat and waves are gone (well, almost).

Now lts all get back to what is really important and that is Electronics!  :-+
If this bothers you, DON"T COME HERE AND READ THIS TOPIC.
What is wrong with you?
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #179 on: April 05, 2015, 01:40:11 pm »
I think you all should stop trying to ridicule people who have different values than you.
How about you agree to disagree instead of harping on about how you don't.

I'd go nuts if Amazon sent me science book (aka north of 80 EUR) and it has a messed up/dented corner due to their terrible packing practices. It is ground for a claim.
Yeah you can't do much about it and you can choose not to bother.

If I treated customer equipment like this at work I can 'put some warm clothes on' as the Germans say.

Offline schopi68

• Regular Contributor
    • My stuff page
« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2015, 02:16:43 pm »
This saves costs to increase profit for the publisher.

okay... and you are comfortable with increasing profit to the publisher for... less quality?

As said before: you could even use a scope with a scratch all over its surface. Or you could watch tv with a unsharp and flickering screen. Or buy a brand new car with dents in the bonnet - but would you want to pay the same price for it?

I pay 300 plus US dollars for each book at school with the same exact issue. By end of the semester the books are flat and waves are gone (well, almost).

I do not think that it will flatten out, even under pressure... - see Attachment. No one of the books in this stack has any sign of waviness (but they have a similar paper thickness - i.e. the book right above the Horowitz has 1800 Sides - 3.4mm for 100 pages vs. 3.5mm for 100 pages in the Horowitz -, similar content and a similar price. So it is no excuse to say that the pages are wavy because the book was press printed on thin paper - others are doing this job without waving).

(so, but now i will stop posting to this topic. Everything that i wanted to talk about has been talked about - and i do not want to produce any kind of war here). *LLAP* ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 02:21:15 pm by schopi68 »

Offline Docholiday

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #181 on: April 05, 2015, 02:18:30 pm »
My, my have I touched a nerve to deserve all CAPS?  :box: Anyway, Neganur I agree with your point I too would be returing it promptly for that type of damage. Everyone should be entitled to state their opinion in whatever form they feel. This is not a repressed society, well at least not completly. The quality of materials used today is appaling! Manufactures continue to strive for increased profits anyway they can. I have books in my library purchased over 30 years ago and still in excellent condition. On the other hand books purchased recently for school and personal are already falling apart where even the pages rip easily. I can only imagine that this book too will suffer also in premature failure compared to its predeeding version. My own belief if a purchase is made and its quality is not to his/her own standards then return it and be done with it. My pet peeve is simply I hate people that whine and carry on like a child. But thats me and everyone has a their own.

It reminds me when Dave reviewed a waveform generator.  Internally, there was rust on the case but he too succumb to this and made it apparent to his viewers. I laughed at this thinking of thousands of these cases out in the open in some Asian country rusting from the rain and then used for its final assembly.

Offline Docholiday

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #182 on: April 05, 2015, 02:50:45 pm »
Profit for the publisher

No, but it is a fact of life and presently the culture of our society. As for the comparison of scratched scope or out focus screen or dented hood/bonet you are now going from one extreme to another.

I stated my previous post "Is the book still readable?" So, yes I do have an exception.

By end of the semester the books are flat and waves are gone (well, almost).

In in end of the sentence I add "well, almost" that in it self a sarcastic intent implied.

During my practicum for my PHD I was employed by a bindery shop. During a practicum you do not always get paid or very little. So, I had to make end meet thus the bindery job. Working there I learned that when books portrayed this type of condition it was due to the quality of the paper, mositure content, and bad processing practices. Anyone or all of those affect the book(s) quality.

So, in closing rather than focus your anger or hostility towards me. How about you express you dis-satisfaction to the publisher. If everybody does this maybe then soemthing positive could happen?

I did my part and wrote to them. Now if I get a reply? Perhaps I shall win the lottery first!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 02:54:29 pm by Docholiday »

Offline schopi68

• Regular Contributor
    • My stuff page
« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2015, 04:47:21 pm »
Well, it looks as if i have to do one more post.   :palm:

So, in closing rather than focus your anger or hostility towards me. How about you express you dis-satisfaction to the publisher. If everybody does this maybe then soemthing positive could happen?

I did my part and wrote to them. Now if I get a reply? Perhaps I shall win the lottery first!

I've already reported the issue to the seller. But you're right, contacting the publisher directly might be a good idea too. ;) My posting here in the forum wasn't because i wanted to cry about the issue - i just wanted to exchange information with others to see if it is worthy to ask for a replacement book or if this error affects the entire print run.

And now lets free this place to start talking about the content.

Offline Docholiday

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #184 on: April 05, 2015, 04:59:05 pm »
Hey Schopi68,

It was not just you and I am sorry if my posting singled you out. Please accept my apology as it was not my intent to do that specifically towards you.

Sincerely,

Nicholas

Offline Blofeld

• Regular Contributor
  • Diamonds Are Forever
« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2015, 05:28:36 pm »
Still waiting on my copy to be delivered - ordered 29 Jan 2015 from Amazon, should be here within the next two weeks.

I've seen the wavy paper artifact on some books manufactured in India -- are the AoE 3rd books delivered in Europe manufactured (printed and bound) in the UK or in another country?
Printed in the United States of America, just like the second edition.

So it is printed in the USA, but we in Europe recieve it first? Of course I'm not complaining, but it seems strange und unfair. And if I were an US citizen I would probably start to riot now.
My site www.wisewarthog.com and my Youtube channel (in progress). Links and reviews of books and free stuff.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2015, 05:36:30 pm »
Printed in the USA can be a book actually printed in India, then shipped to the USA for the final collation, binding and trimming. Then, due to the vagrancies of the book cartels, it might be released in Europe before the US orders are filled. The whole thing might have been done on an Indian press, or even in Dubai or even South Africa, depending on which press was going to be free for the volume and which was cheapest with freight of the final product. Might even have been printed in Canada. Only way would be to look for the press added QC characters and batch number, which will be inside on the copyright page as a code at the bottom, or inside the cover on a hard bound version.

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2015, 06:35:28 pm »
So it is printed in the USA, but we in Europe recieve it first? Of course I'm not complaining, but it seems strange und unfair. And if I were an US citizen I would probably start to riot now.
This may be because CUP is a UK publisher even though they now have a presence in the USA - perhaps there is some ancient decree that they release books in the UK/EU first.

Offline tcleavela

• Contributor
« Reply #188 on: April 06, 2015, 03:27:23 pm »
This phenomenon is called "fluting" and is the product of the printing process and humidity levels around the book. I found several informative posts:

http://www.printindustry.com/Newsletters/Newsletter-38.aspx
http://www.printindustry.com/blog/?p=1175
https://prodpi.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/201991340-Why-are-the-pages-of-my-book-wavy-and-warped-

The last one implies that the problem may correct itself to some extent.

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #189 on: April 06, 2015, 03:56:02 pm »
Thought the best cure was to put heavy pressure on the book, but luckily, after reading one of the articles, that is not a good way to do it. I saw my self, with a big smile on my lips, putting the book very gently in our 100 tons hydraulic press at work   :palm:

Offline schopi68

• Regular Contributor
    • My stuff page
« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2015, 04:56:51 pm »
The last one implies that the problem may correct itself to some extent.
"but it normally doesn't take more than 5-7 business days for the paper to relax and flatten."

Well... my copy didn't change in any visible manner during the last 5 days.

Looks as there are several things that can be done against fluting during the printing process. But i don't think that my book has this fluting. They define fluting as waves in grain direction. My book copy has waves on all three outer sides (so in grain direction and right angled to it).

http://www.sappi.com/regions/sa/SupportAndSponsorships/Knowledge%20bank/Technical%20tips1/Cause%20and%20effects%20of%20Fluting%20in%20Heatset%20webprinting.pdf

Offline tcleavela

• Contributor
« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2015, 06:30:21 pm »
So it's more like the book in the picture at this link? http://www.librarything.com/topic/106840. If so maybe one of the responses there will help. Good luck.

Offline guscrown

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2015, 09:57:34 pm »
So many reviews about the wavy paper, but nothing yet on content  :-DD

I just ordered mine through Amazon with a copy of "Circuit Designer's Companion (3rd Edition)".  :-+

The company is paying for them so I went loco.  :scared:

Offline Docholiday

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2015, 10:01:16 pm »
What do you think of circuit designers companion?

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2015, 11:34:19 pm »
What do you think of circuit designers companion?

I ordered my "Circuit Designers Companion" from Russia a while ago but she hasn't gotten here yet.  I'll let you know when she arrives. 

Offline Grapsus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2015, 07:10:50 am »
I just buy it on amazon Italy for € 48 ($ 51). It seems that prices are falling, but versions of the second edition are more expensive than the third ...

Man thank you so much for the tip !  :-+ I almost oredered it from amazon UK at 98 euros when I saw your post. You just saved me 45 euros.  :clap: I love this forum so much.

L'ordine sarà spedito a:
Francia

Totale ordine:    EUR 55,99

La tua data di consegna prevista è:
giovedì 09 aprile 2015 -
lunedì 13 aprile 2015

Please someone with moderator rights make a sticky post with this info, we could also post the translation for the italian captions so that people can get their order through.

Wow, it was excpected to arrive by the end of the week, but I just got it early this morning, this is spectacular :)

Offline JackOfVA

• Supporter
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2015, 03:06:47 pm »
Ordered in late January from Amazon, arrived today.

Paper is perfectly flat, and although thin paper and small type is used, the book is perfectly readable. 

A very quick flip through it shows that it's well worth the price. (Think I paid around US$ 85-90).

Offline ManicMaurice

• Contributor
« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2015, 11:10:32 pm »
I'm waiting for the Kindle edition. No fluting. ;)

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2015, 01:35:03 am »
I'm waiting for the Kindle edition. No fluting. ;)

Offline ManicMaurice

• Contributor
« Reply #199 on: April 08, 2015, 02:04:11 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf