Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1098061 times)

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Re: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2012, 09:54:29 am »
As for the new firmware, Rigol says:
"R&D still haven't release the new version and we have made effort to promote this progress. I believe it will be released in this month."

@drieg - Do you know if version 01.00.05 was released for North America (was it only in EU and Australia)? It seems as if most of the NA people here are getting units with 01.00.02 installed - and being told to wait for the next release.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:21:39 am by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2012, 10:36:39 pm »
I seem to have found another bug in the DS2000 series. I don't have a lot of time at the moment to try to figure out it's exact parameters and limits, but basically there seems to be a bug which limits the trigger position when using fine Horizontal Scale adjustment at certain settings.

I was fooling around with replicating Dave's idea for Bode plotting (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-396-bode-plotting-on-your-osciloscope/)with the scope - and I was sending a linear sweep into the scope and trying to fill the entire screen with a single sweep. That means you have to switch the Horizontal Scale knob to the fine adjustment - then change the scale until it approx. fills the screen - then move the trigger position until it's on the left edge of the screen.

But I found that when I was set to < 500ms scale, I couldn't move the trigger position fully left or right. The attached .pngs show the farthest left and farthest right I was able to move the trigger with a 440ms setting (the point where the waveform rises is the horizontal trigger postion). Not only that, but if you move the trigger position all the way left, and then use the fine HS adjust to go below 500ms (e.g. down to 498ms) the trigger postion jumps to the position shown in the farthest left .png

Perhaps someone else can test to see if they can replicate? When I have time I will investigate further.

Edit: Bug/problem described in detail below in next post.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:43:06 am by marmad »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2012, 08:40:28 am »
R = 4.7 kOhm, C = 1 nF.
Sweep from 1Hz to 1MHz at 1 second.
Horisontal scale is 1000/14 = 71.43 ms, but it can be set only to 71.5 ms.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2012, 10:57:25 am »
Thanks, EV - but your post isn't about the bug/problem I addressed.

After further study, I discovered what the problem is:

At any normal horizontal scale setting >= 20ms  (i.e. 20ms/50ms/100ms/200ms/500ms/1s/2s/5s/10s/20s/50s/100s/200s/500s/1ks)  the maximum/minimum horizontal trigger position (the orange D number in the upper right corner of the screen which reads 0.00000000ps when zeroed) is +10/-14x the current setting. So, for example, if you have the scale set to 50ms, the max/min amounts you can move the trigger position are left +500ms (50ms*10) or right -700ms (50ms*-14). But if you use the FINE scale adjust, the max/min position becomes locked to the next lower major division*10/-14 - instead of staying linked to whatever the actual setting is.  This can cause the trigger position to jump and/or become frozen (with the 'Parameters overrange!' message) in the middle of the display.

To see this effect clearly, set your horizontal scale to one of those mentioned above (e.g. 50ms), send in a signal, and move the trigger position as far as possible to the left (which, with the 50ms example, will be 500ms). That is what is shown in the attached BEFORE.png (note white H 50ms top left of screen - and orange D 500ms top right). Then switch to FINE adjust: Press -> [Horizontal] Menu -> ScaleAdjust -> Fine - and turn the horizontal scale knob just one notch clockwise. You will see your trigger position jump to the right of the screen (and be unable to be moved farther left). That is the AFTER.png (note white H 49.8ms top left of screen - and orange D 200ms top right).

Edit: I'm fairly certain that Rigol will again say that this behavior is by design - but, IMO, it's not very good design and it's rather annoying when your trigger position can't be moved to the edges of the display.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:51:40 am by marmad »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2012, 04:50:00 pm »
At any normal horizontal scale setting >= 20ms  (i.e. 20ms/50ms/100ms/200ms/500ms/1s/2s/5s/10s/20s/50s/100s/200s/500s/1ks)  the maximum/minimum horizontal trigger position (the orange D number in the upper right corner of the screen which reads 0.00000000ps when zeroed) is +10x/-14x the current

You are right, but at the 20 ms scale position only the right side is limited. In my pictures with the scale value 71.5 ms, it was possble to move the trigger mark to the left or right side.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2012, 05:07:59 pm »
You are right, but at the 20 ms scale position only the right side is limited. In my pictures with the scale value 71.5 ms, it was possble to move the trigger mark to the left or right side.

Yes, if the scale is set to 71.5ms, that means, according to the formula I mentioned in my previous post, that you are limited to +10/-14x the next lowest major division (50ms) which means you can set the trigger to +500ms or -700ms. In your images, you have the trigger set to -502.4ms, which is well within the range.

Sometimes the range will allow you to reach the edge of the display - I'm not saying that it's not possible with some FINE scale settings. What I am saying is that there are many many FINE scale settings when you can't get the trigger point moved all the way to one or both edges - try it with a 42.6ms scale setting - or 99.5ms or 196ms or 4.9s or etc, etc.

Obviously, this isn't a serious issue - just another annoying one. The worst case scenario with this 'bug' is when you're trying to adjust a signal to fill the display and you need to use the FINE scale adjust, and then you can't move the image anymore because you're arbitrarily locked to the previously mentioned limits. I don't understand why Rigol doesn't just use the +10/-14 rule applied to whatever the actual setting is (i.e. if you are set to 71.5ms, you can move to +715/-1001ms).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:29:01 pm by marmad »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2012, 05:31:18 pm »
Yes, this is absolutely a bug and should be corrected in the future firmware. Who tells it to Rigol?

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2012, 05:42:22 pm »
Yes, this is absolutely a bug and should be corrected in the future firmware. Who tells it to Rigol?

Well, I posted here and also emailed drieg about it - he normally reports bugs to Rigol. But, as I mentioned earlier, Rigol will undoubtedly say that it's not a bug and 'is by design', so we'll just have to wait and see if they do anything about it.

Offline drieg

• Regular Contributor
    • Silcon Electronics
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2012, 08:01:14 pm »
Yes, I reported this bug to Rigol, let's see if they can fix it..

@drieg - Do you know if version 01.00.05 was released for North America (was it only in EU and Australia)? It seems as if most of the NA people here are getting units with 01.00.02 installed - and being told to wait for the next release.
I don't think Rigol makes any difference between EU and NA, even here in EU, you still get new units with 01.00.02 installed.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:03:19 pm by drieg »
Bricked Rigol? This thread might be of any help.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2012, 08:06:58 pm »
I don't think Rigol makes any difference between EU and NA, even here in EU, you still get new units with 01.00.02 installed.

Well, I only asked that because it appears that some people are saying that their NA dealers are telling them that there is no new firmware to be had yet (after 01.00.02).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:50:14 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2012, 04:51:53 pm »
Here is the current set of full (strange) rules that apply to maximum/minimum trigger positions (offsets) with various horizontal scale settings on the DS2000 series (with MEMORY set to AUTO):

If the horizontal scale is set to any COARSE setting from 2ns to 10ms, then the trigger can be offset from +1.0s to -14*current COARSE setting
Example: 10us = +1s/-140us

If the horizontal scale is set to any COARSE setting of 20ms to 1ks, then the trigger can be offset from +10*current COARSE setting to -14*current COARSE setting
Example: 5s = +50s/-70s

If the horizontal scale is set to any FINE setting of 2.05ns to 19.90ms, then the trigger can be offset from +1.0s to -14*next lowest COARSE setting
Example: 19.9ns = +1s/-140ns

If the horizontal scale is set to any FINE setting of 20.20ms to 995.0s, then the trigger can be offset from +10*next lowest COARSE setting to -14*next lowest COARSE setting
Example: 49.8ms = +200ms/-280ms

Clearly these limits are tied to the 14M of standard memory - and I haven't tried yet to see if they are the same with specific sample depth settings.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:13:11 pm by marmad »

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2012, 08:51:27 pm »
Hello folks, things have been nutty this past week --- no time to write --- but here I am now :)

I followed marmad's earlier suggestion of going through my distributor to get a new trial license code, and that worked :)  The same Rigol tech replied to me with new code within 24hrs.  I've no doubt the process was accelerated when I asked my distributor if I could exchange my unit for a new one because I have not received what I paid for!

Also, to follow-up on on what marmad and drieg have commented about firmware releases, I concur it appears Rigol NA are avoiding releasing 01.00.05 firmware.  I have not heard anything further from Rigol NA, but it appears they prefer to release only the new revision and squash as many bugs as possible with one update; this seems reasonable if the new revision is soon-to-be released.  I just noticed on the Rigol NA website: "DS2000 DS4000 DS6000 Firmware Upgrade Procedure" in the FAQ section of DS2072 page, however no PDF file is listed yet. 

(On DG4000 series page, there is PDF file of firmware upgrade describing "boot" update method --- I think we can expect similar for DS2000 series.)

@marmad: Thanks for your detailed investigation of the trigger positioning bug --- it does seem an annoyance, as very common that one wants to use the entire width of the display to see their signal.  I will see this myself, soon.  Thanks to drieg for reporting the bug to Rigol :)

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2012, 09:25:51 pm »
Thanks for the report, Sparky. Interesting to hear of Rigol NA's stance regarding the interim 01.00.05 firmware.

I've started a new thread here, called 'Software, tips, and tricks for Rigol DS2000/4000/6000 UltraVision DSOs'. I've posted my first release of some Rigol UltraVision utilities there - there will be much more to follow in the future; whenever I can find time.

Please: if you try the software, do me a favor and give some feedback. Remember: ALL feedback is good - and negative feedback is often the most useful. Bugs? Crashes? Questions? Comments? Broken, missing, or desired features? Anything will be helpful. There aren't that many of us UltraVision users yet - so every bit helps!!  ;)

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2012, 09:14:58 am »
I found another bug in the DS2000 firmware: again, nothing major - just another annoyance.

I have 4063 recorded frames playing back with 'repeat' set - and every time the scope gets to frame 1302, it loops back to frame 1 and starts playing from there again. If I playback with 'repeat' off, it plays until frame 4063 correctly. So the 'repeat' playback of recorded frames doesn't seem to work correctly all of the time. I'm not sure what the parameters are but I think it has to do with the total number of frames.

To see this effect, go to Record Open and record a large amount of frames (i.e. set your horizontal scale to a fast setting so that you're recording > 2000 frames). Then stop recording, go to playback, set 'repeat' on, and start playing it. It will likely loop back to frame 1 without ever reaching the final frame.

EDIT: Moved the full bug list of the current firmware to the first post of this thread for easy locating.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:25:17 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2012, 07:19:35 pm »
Teneyes: did you try playing back different groups of frames you'd recorded? I'm wondering why you wouldn't see this bug - I saw it happen with several different groups of frames, I wonder if it's a new bug introduced in 01.00.05?

Can someone else running 01.00.05 test for the playback looping bug? It's very easy to check (and to see when it happens).

Offline TP

• Contributor
Rigol DS2072 High Res mode and other notes
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2012, 10:32:09 pm »
(A couple of users suggested I repost in this thread)

I bought a Rigol DS2072 to replace my 35 year old Phillips PM3212 that just died.  I've been evaluating the High Res mode and it does work.  I programmed my computers 16 bit DAC to produce a sine wave with a tiny 0.7 LSB blip on it, much like the Agilent video posted earlier (in the other thread).  The Rigol could easily resolve the blip in High Res mode despite the fact that it was only 0.7 LSB of the 8-bit ADC.*  The first figure shows the High Res trace blown up.  This trace was taken 100 mV/div and 2 ms/div and blown up post acquisition to 5 mV/div.  The sub LSB blip is easily resolvable.  Of course, for a repetitive signal you could also just turn up the sensitivity to 5 mV/div and hunt for the blip with the offset and time/div and this is shown in the second figure. 

Of course, the extra resolution you get from boxcar averaging doesn't mean much if the DNL (differential non-linearity) of the ADC is not good, so I used the ramp and histogram method to measure DNL.  The results are that it's pretty good: only +-0.15 LSB (see third image).  I also did a best line fit deviation and the error is somewhat larger at +-0.5 LSB.  (This is very similar to INL, integrated non-linearity, but it wasn't exactly calculated by integrating the DNL, it's just the deviation from a straight line fit to the ramp signal.  INL specs are always worse than DNL, but the refer more to absolute accuracy not the ability to resolve small signals.)  Note these are upper limits as it depends on the test signal generated by my computers 16-bit DAC being perfect.

I also measured the noise on the 500uV/div scale as 80uV RMS in Normal acquisition mode and 40uV RMS with the High Res mode, both with the 20MHz BW limit on.  With the 20MHz BW limit off and Normal mode I got 100uV RMS.  These are all with the input shorted with a 50 ohm terminator.

*When calculating LSB remember that the 8 vertical divisions are not the full range of the ADC; it's actually 10.24 divisions with headroom off the top and bottom of the screen plot region.

Other notes/problems: 

Inputting a pulse that should have a rise time of 5 ns (according to the specs for the chip I used) gives a rise time of 7.1 ns on the scope.  That means the scope rise time is 5 ns which matches the 70 MHz spec.

The "Measure" box does appear to only work with the screen trace data, but the 6-digit frequency "Counter" works directly from the signal (with the trip point defined by the trigger level).  On a 1 MHz input signal the Rigol "Counter" matched my external frequency counter by 10 Hz.  (Of course the frequency counter is 40 years old so who knows if it's accurate.)  On my scope the "Measure" box can get hung requiring a reboot.  If I input a 1 MHz signal and resolve the cycles the "Measure" box gives correct data.  If I slow down the time/div, say to see modulation of the RF carrier, the "Measure" box will get confused and quotes, say, freq > something.  If I speed up the time/div to see the 1 MHz cycles again the "Measure" box will remain hung with bad data and nothing I tried gets it working again except a power down.

I was unable to get the scope to save screen captures to the USB stick from the "Storage" menu; it just saves a blank screen with no trace.  It will save correctly to the USB if I press the "Print" button (no printer attached).  It also saves data in CSV mode properly.  Note that even if you take data in High Res mode the data saved externally in CSV mode is still 8-bit quantized.  High Res cleans up the data saved, but it's still 8-bit and no extra precision shows up in the file (while it does show up on the screen).

All in all I like this scope a lot.  Note that I'm an old person who was used to analog scopes and I've had a dislike for digital scopes for quite awhile, so I'm a bit hard on them.

Edit: added caveat
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:44:24 pm by TP »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Re: Rigol DS2072 High Res mode and other notes
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2012, 11:31:48 pm »
Thanks for reposting, TP, and welcome.

The "Measure" box does appear to only work with the screen trace data, but the 6-digit frequency "Counter" works directly from the signal (with the trip point defined by the trigger level).

This is typical of low cost DSOs - including the Agilent 2000/3000X.

On my scope the "Measure" box can get hung requiring a reboot.  If I input a 1 MHz signal and resolve the cycles the "Measure" box gives correct data.  If I slow down the time/div, say to see modulation of the RF carrier, the "Measure" box will get confused and quotes, say, freq > something.  If I speed up the time/div to see the 1 MHz cycles again the "Measure" box will remain hung with bad data and nothing I tried gets it working again except a power down.

I haven't noticed this on mine - I'll check tomorrow to see if I can replicate it.

I was unable to get the scope to save screen captures to the USB stick from the "Storage" menu; it just saves a blank screen with no trace.

I certainly don't have this problem on my DS2072 - I've saved many captures to sticks. Have you tried various sizes and makes of sticks?

Would you mind reporting what versions of the firmware/hardware,etc you are running? You can get detailed version info by following these instructions: go to the Trigger menu and set Edge trigger, then press F7-F6-F7-Utility buttons one after another quickly. Then check additional info under Utility > System > System Info. To escape from this "special" mode, do again  F7-F6-F7-Utility while inside the Trigger menu - or reboot the scope.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 12:03:51 am by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2012, 11:51:39 pm »
OK, I caught it, before I was only recording 1 group . this time I recorded 2 groups , frames 1- 450 , and 451-2449, and have space for 8127.
and yes playback plays and loops only in the 1-450 group , but if I move into the second group with the Wavefunder 'big' knob then go to run from pause.It will play to 2449 then jump into the 1-450 group and loop there.
At times the Run/Stop on top was different from the '||>'  run/pause button, one would cause the playback right to 8127 before looping back to 1, never tried 3 or more  groups.
 What is the best use of Run/stop and '||>' buttons???

@Teneyes: Wait a minute - I'm totally confused. You can actually record separate groups of frames individually - while retaining the others in memory? I haven't tried this - when I mentioned 'groups' in my previous post, I was only referring to recording a bunch of frames - then trying to loop them repeatedly - then recording another bunch of frames - then trying to loop them, etc, etc. A large number of frames recorded with Record Open don't loop correctly on my DSO.

But probably we should start by defining WHICH type of recording we're doing when we make these tests; I'm not sure if all of your tests were performed with Record Open. I have ONLY used the Record Open function and not the normal Record function. Although both functions create frames which can be played back - they use different buttons (and SCPI commands - it's definitely kind of a mess) to perform certain functions, and since Record Open continually loops while recording, overwriting previous frames, it's quite likely that it might have bugs that are not present in the normal Record.

Anyway the bug which I've reported in the earlier post (and is still unconfirmed by someone else with 01.00.05 firmware) involves playing back repeatedly all frames captured in Record Open mode. It's VERY easy to test this with the software I posted in the other thread - 3 mouse clicks. Could someone please give it a try? When playing back on repeat, keep your eye on Rigol's menu which lists end frame and current frame. If your scope has the bug mine does, you will see the current frame jump to 1 before it reaches the end frame.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:47:33 pm by marmad »

Offline TP

• Contributor
« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2012, 12:25:11 am »

I certainly don't have this problem on my DS2072 - I've saved many captures to sticks. Have you tried various sizes and makes of sticks?

Would you mind reporting what versions of the firmware/hardware,etc you are running? You can get detailed version info by following these instructions: go to the Trigger menu and set Edge trigger, then press F7-F6-F7-Utility buttons one after another quickly. Then check additional info under Utility > System > System Info. To escape from this "special" mode, do again  F7-F6-F7-Utility while inside the Trigger menu.

I tried it on a different USB stick and it worked this time.  Then I tried it on the original USB stick and it also worked.  Bizarre, as it failed repeatedly before.

Which are the F7 & F6 "Utility" buttons?  You mean switch to the Utility menu and hit the Self Cal - System - Self Cal or stay in the "Trigger" Menu and hit the bottom -second from bottom- bottom button in that menu (both blank)?  Actually, that second one didn't work.  FW just reports 00.00.01.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #169 on: December 17, 2012, 12:28:29 am »
I tried it on a different USB stick and it worked this time.  Then I tried it on the original USB stick and it also worked.  Bizarre, as it failed repeatedly before.

Well, good that its working in any case.

Which are the F7 & F6 "Utility" buttons?  You mean switch to the Utility menu and hit the Self Cal - System - Self Cal or stay in the "Trigger" Menu and hit the bottom -second from bottom- bottom button in that menu (both blank)?  Actually, that second one didn't work.  FW just reports 00.00.01.

Yes, F6 & F7 refer to the sixth and seventh unlabeled right menu keys - they have no function in the Trigger menu. So, while in Trigger menu, you press 'Menu7' then 'Menu6' then 'Menu7' then the 'Utility' button - but do it fast. If it doesn't work, try again faster.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 12:32:57 am by marmad »

Offline TP

• Contributor
« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2012, 02:04:46 am »
FW 00.00.01.00.02

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2012, 01:43:43 pm »
On my scope the "Measure" box can get hung requiring a reboot.  If I input a 1 MHz signal and resolve the cycles the "Measure" box gives correct data.  If I slow down the time/div, say to see modulation of the RF carrier, the "Measure" box will get confused and quotes, say, freq > something.  If I speed up the time/div to see the 1 MHz cycles again the "Measure" box will remain hung with bad data and nothing I tried gets it working again except a power down.

@TP: I was unable to replicate this error on my scope, either using the individual Frequency measurement or the 'Measure All' box. I have to conclude that it's either a firmware version 01.00.02 bug - or that there was an added variable in your setup/scope settings that I don't know about that provoked the bug.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2012, 06:59:35 pm »
Anyway the bug which I've reported in the earlier post (and is still unconfirmed by someone else with 01.00.05 firmware) involves playing back repeatedly all frames captured in Record Open mode. It's VERY easy to test this with the software I posted in the other thread - 3 mouse clicks. Could someone please give it a try? When playing back on repeat, keep your eye on Rigol's menu which lists end frame and current frame. If your scope has the bug mine does, you will see the current frame jump to 1 before it reaches the end frame.

Hi marmad, as your RUU software is working via USB for me (though I would still like LAN to work), I just checked this out on my scope (same 01.00.05 firmware).

I can confirm the bug: when on normal play (without repeat) all frames play back (same as when using the navigation knobs on the unit).  When I enable "repeat" (or press the Pause|Play button on the unit) the current frame jumps to 1 before it reaches the end.  When I press Stop button (either RUU software or on the unit) it jumps to the last frame.

Definitely a bug, and would be great to have this forwarded to our friend drieg for Rigol's attention!

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2012, 07:45:13 pm »
Hi marmad, as your RUU software is working via USB for me (though I would still like LAN to work), I just checked this out on my scope (same 01.00.05 firmware).

I can confirm the bug: when on normal play (without repeat) all frames play back (same as when using the navigation knobs on the unit).  When I enable "repeat" (or press the Pause|Play button on the unit) the current frame jumps to 1 before it reaches the end.  When I press Stop button (either RUU software or on the unit) it jumps to the last frame.

Definitely a bug, and would be great to have this forwarded to our friend drieg for Rigol's attention!

Thank you again, Sparky - you are a developers delight! Just for that, I have fixed the problems with the LAN connection for you and posted the new version over at the other thread  ;)

One thing to note: if you're planning to save a bunch of captured frames, the speed of USB vs. LAN becomes significant. For example, a quick test on my system shows elapsed time for saving 6 frames as follows: USB = 15.2 seconds / LAN = 36 seconds  :P
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:00:36 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2012, 08:18:54 pm »

Just did some more testing, and it's a bug that's limited to frames recorded while in Open mode - it does not seem to affect frames recorded in normal Record mode.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf