Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1097687 times)

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Re: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol
« Reply #400 on: January 12, 2013, 05:21:59 am »
I was missing the 'Delayed' ON in the horizontal menu which allows use of the 'Navigation Knob'.  This is great as my last scope force me to turn the little horizontal position knob 100s of turns to do the same thing.

Yes, the big Navigation Knob is a joy to use on the Rigol. The only little interface niggle is when you are in both Delayed Sweep mode AND Playback Frames mode - the big Navigation Knob is then only for forwarding or reversing through the frames - and you're back to using only the small Horizontal Position knob for moving the window. I wish it was the other way around - even though I understand why they did it that way: because the case markings around the Nav.Knob are for 'Playback'.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #401 on: January 12, 2013, 06:25:09 pm »
Well, does the DS2072 have anything similar to Tek Wave Inspector? It is nice to have 14Mpts acquisition memory length, but is there any possibility to search for events or place marks? It seems to me, that not. I have read the DS2072 user manual. Anyway, Owon SDS7102 also has no tools to manage the nice 2×10Mpts memory.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #402 on: January 12, 2013, 06:38:41 pm »
Anyway, GW Instek GDS-2000A has also something like Wave Inspector. It is possible to make automated search or place marks manually. But there is no special dual knob.  :-[

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #403 on: January 12, 2013, 07:32:21 pm »
Well, does the DS2072 have anything similar to Tek Wave Inspector? It is nice to have 14Mpts acquisition memory length, but is there any possibility to search for events or place marks? It seems to me, that not. I have read the DS2072 user manual. Anyway, Owon SDS7102 also has no tools to manage the nice 2×10Mpts memory.
As far as I recall the Owon is just 10MPts total Corrected: Owon is 2x10MPts.

No, no markers or searching for events on the Rigol itself - but the software I've produced currently allows you to drop markers and move between them (if your Rigol is connected to a computer) - and, when the memory read bug is fixed (or a workaround is found), it will also allow you to load/save samples and events then search through deep memory for them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:04:26 pm by marmad »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #404 on: January 12, 2013, 08:13:47 pm »
Well, it is not much important, but it seems that Owon has really 2×10MB memory. Check these specifications: http://www.owon.com.hk/SDS-en.asp
10M record length for each channel;
Anyway, you mentioned it here, that Owon has 10MB per channel. But if it had only 5MB per channel, it would also be enough.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #405 on: January 12, 2013, 08:28:34 pm »
Well, it is not much important, but it seems that Owon has really 2×10MB memory.

Sorry I forgot the details. Remember, I had the Owon for 4-5 weeks about 1.5 years ago - and I've had/tried 3 other DSOs since. Honestly, all I do remember clearly about that deep memory on the Owon was what a pain in the ass it was to look through (or easy to lose your place in) without a dual timebase zoom window.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:07:43 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #406 on: January 13, 2013, 07:26:51 pm »
Apparently, drieg has being using the bugs/problems list (compiled from the fine bug reporting done by the users in this thread ;) ) to communicate to Rigol about  the problems we've found.

It appears they've confirmed most of the bugs/problems now (or stated they aren't bugs) - although they're still trying to verify one or two of them, but what I found interesting - and I thought others might as well - is the response to #12 (Rigol response in italics):

12) A bug confined to the menu selection of Channel 1 = ON and Trigger = External keeps the sample rate stuck at 1G SA/s (instead of raising to 2G Sa/s ? as it should be). The bug does not affect the sample rate when selecting CH1/EXT trigger using SCPI commands. Also, if the DSO is booted up with CH1/EXT trigger selected, the correct sample rate of 2G Sa/s is enabled.

I asked R&D about this situation, it is not a bug because DS4 and DS6 use analog trigger so if we turn off CH1,CH3 ,other channels can go to the Max. sample rate, but DS2000 use digital trigger, the advance of digital trigger is the signal displayed on screen stably and no offset compared with analog trigger .In digital trigger ,even we turn off CH1 ,but actually it still work in the background ,so the MaX. sample rate for CH2 and Ext IS 1G Sa/s .

Interesting, yes? Although it doesn't explain why then the sample rate reported at the top of the screen is still incorrect sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:28:24 pm by marmad »

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
« Reply #407 on: January 13, 2013, 08:56:33 pm »
Hi all.. I've have had a quick scan through this thread but didn't see anything regarding the issue I've got here..  I just got my DS2072 last week but only today noticed that when I set the screen saver to any given time, It doesn't activate at all. Its supposed to show the Rigol screen is it not?

I've updated the FW from 1.00.01 to 1.00.00.05 (which I can only tell from plugging a USB with the latest version on it, in) however still no go as regards the screen saver issue.

Anyone else with the same thing?

Thank you

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #408 on: January 13, 2013, 09:20:06 pm »
when I set the screen saver to any given time, It doesn't activate at all. Thank you
DS2072 FW1.00.02
Yep, I don't get a screen saver time-out to Rigol Screen,, tried 1min, 2 min
 But then again with Trial Options, I shut it Off when not in use
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #409 on: January 13, 2013, 09:24:55 pm »
Yep, I don't get a screen saver time-out to Rigol Screen,, tried 1min, 2 min
 But then again with Trial Options, I shut it Off when not in use

Ah ok, thanks. That's good to know.

I guess it seems that Rigol have got quite a few things to fix in the next FW update then :)

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #410 on: January 13, 2013, 09:58:49 pm »
I just got my DS2072 last week but only today noticed that when I set the screen saver to any given time, It doesn't activate at all. Its supposed to show the Rigol screen is it not?

The screen saver works fine for me - I've used it many times (FW 01.00.05).

I've updated the FW from 1.00.01 to 1.00.00.05 (which I can only tell from plugging a USB with the latest version on it, in) however still no go as regards the screen saver issue.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this? Do you mean writing the scope variables to a file? You can get detailed version info by following these instructions:
Go to the Trigger menu and set Edge trigger
Then press the [Menu7][Menu6][Menu7][Utility] buttons one after another quickly.
Then check additional info under System -> System Info.
To escape from this mode, press again [Menu7][Menu6][Menu7][Utility] while inside Trigger menu
- or reboot the scope.

Perhaps it's a bug in 01.00.02 - and you haven't properly upgraded yet? BTW, as far as I know, there haven't been any scopes delivered with 01.00.01 - so I think you started with (or still have) 01.00.02.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:15:30 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #411 on: January 13, 2013, 10:13:48 pm »
Whether or not the screen saver is activated might also be affected by the mode or state that the DSO is currently running in (although, ideally, it shouldn't be). I've never noticed it NOT working for me, but sometimes I've been using it (during long stretches of programming for the scope) and other times not.

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #412 on: January 13, 2013, 10:21:25 pm »
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this? Do you mean writing the scope variables to a file? You can get detailed version info by following these instructions:
Go to the Trigger menu and set Edge trigger
Then press the [Menu7][Menu6][Menu7][Utility] buttons one after another quickly.
Then check additional info under System -> System Info.
To escape from this mode, press again [Menu7][Menu6][Menu7][Utility] while inside Trigger menu
- or reboot the scope.

Perhaps it's a bug in 01.00.02 - and you haven't properly upgraded yet? BTW, as far as I know, there haven't been any scopes delivered with 01.00.01 - so I think you started (or still have) 01.00.02.

My appologies.. The FW version I have is 00.00.01 hardware version 1.0.

Your right marmad.. I must not have completed the upgrad to the FW.. However when I insert the USB stick with FW v01.00.05 on it, it says 'A same firmware detected, Upgrade'?

If I choose 'YES' it runs through it's routine but doesn't upgrade. I have also tried the start-up routine were you have to hit the 'HELP' button just after pressing the 'ON' button. That also runs through the correct routine, but doesn't actually update the FW.

Any advise please?

Thank you
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:40:37 pm by orbiter »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #413 on: January 13, 2013, 10:28:47 pm »
Your right marmad.. I must not have completed the upgrad to the FW.. However when I insert the USB stick with FW v01.00.05 on it, it says 'A same firmware detected, Upgrade'?

@orbiter: I'm not sure you're actually entering the 'special' mode to get to the detailed system info. After going through the steps in the previous post, are you seeing a screen like this?

Software version: 00.00.01.00.05
Hardware version: 1.0.1.0
FPGA version:
SPU 03.01.02
WPU 00.06.00
CCU 12.29.00
MCU 00.05

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #414 on: January 13, 2013, 10:30:53 pm »

@orbiter: I'm not sure you're actually entering the 'special' mode to get to the detailed system info. After going through the steps in the previous post, are you seeing a screen like this?

Software version: 00.00.01.00.05
Hardware version: 1.0.1.0
FPGA version:
SPU 03.01.02
WPU 00.06.00
CCU 12.29.00
MCU 00.05

Nope.. I'll try again..

Thank you

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #415 on: January 13, 2013, 10:33:44 pm »
  Is the External Trigger also digital , with separate ADIC, back to the teardown???
  How can we test ?

@Teneyes: In the message from Rigol which I posted, Rigol says that the External Trigger is digital - so it must be sampled - and that's why the sample rate is cut in half when using it. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to test. Why the top of the screen sometimes shows 2 GSa/S and sometimes 1 GSa/s? I think it's a bug in the display logic.

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #416 on: January 13, 2013, 10:35:15 pm »
I have no additional info come up marmad, only the same info that is shown in my second picture.

EDIT:... Do I need to upgrade to 00.00.02 first or something?

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #417 on: January 13, 2013, 10:42:59 pm »
I have no additional info come up marmad, only the same info that is shown in my second picture.

EDIT:... Do I need to upgrade to 00.00.02 first or something?

No, you just need to press buttons faster :)  After selecting Trigger Menu, then Edge trigger, you must press the following 4 buttons VERY QUICKLY: right-side menu button #7, then #6, then #7, then Utilty button --- then if you press System -> System Info and DON'T see detailed info == start again, and press those 4 buttons even faster.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #418 on: January 13, 2013, 10:50:41 pm »
Obviously, one of the reasons for being on the Trigger menu when using this 'special' key sequence is because there are no menu items assigned to the 6th and 7th menu buttons in this particular menu - so you aren't actually choosing anything - and causing the scope to start running some routine.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #419 on: January 13, 2013, 11:03:02 pm »
Well here is display of 138Mhz on Chan 1 , with External Trigger and looks like 10 Dots in 5ns for 1 sample every 0.5 ns, and 2GSa/s , 

@Teneyes: I'm travelling - so I'm not near my scope for testing - but could you please try this three more times with the following conditions:

Change to Channel2 and External Trigger - then run the same test.
Then just turn off DSO and reboot - then run the test again.
The change again to Channel1 and External Trigger - and run it one last time.
See if you get the same results every time - or if one time it drops to 5 points per division.

Thanks!

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #420 on: January 13, 2013, 11:07:54 pm »
OK... I'm an idiot... I looked in the manual for reference to the #7, #6, #7 buttons and those are indicated as AUTO & CLEAR. Those are the ones I was pressing :o

Anyway.. Thanks to you guys, I now have the screen below :) and what looks like FW v00.05..

However now I still have the initial problem.. No screensaver :(

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #421 on: January 13, 2013, 11:16:21 pm »
However now I still have the initial problem.. No screensaver :(

Which is odd - since as I mentioned, it seems to work fine for me. The problem is I'm travelling and not near my scope to check my setup. Can someone else reading this with 01.00.05 run a quick test of the screen-saver on their Rigol?

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #422 on: January 13, 2013, 11:18:36 pm »
Can someone else reading this with 01.00.05 run a quick test of the screen-saver on their Rigol?

I can do it, but not before tomorrow.

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #423 on: January 13, 2013, 11:20:41 pm »
No worries, there's no rush. Thanks for the assistance guys.

Cheers.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #424 on: January 13, 2013, 11:26:09 pm »
I can do it, but not before tomorrow.

Thanks, EV. BTW, I'm just about to upload a bug-fix for RUU (version 1.51) for you. I found one line of code with a TypeConversion mistake. When you get a chance, please download the new version, switch your Windows settings back to ',' for decimal point and try to enter 'Zoom Markers'. I think it should work fine for you now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf