Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1099546 times)

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
very strange, the only difference is that yours is 2202.  I've tried again and it shows different raise/fall.  Where does it place the markers if you switch to fall mode?

I doubt very much that this is related to model numbers - it's clearly an intermittent bug; you just haven't seen it yet.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
Yes, I confirmed the bug. I think the Rise time is actually just the Fall time repeated. In fact, if you chose either Rising Edge or Falling Edge with Auto cursor - it goes to the same edge.

It seems like it might be an easy bug to fix (pointer problem, etc) - I wonder if we can get Rigol to do it quickly?

It seems that it helps, if the scope is started again with same setup!!??? :-// :-//

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
It seems that it helps, if the scope is started again with same setup!!??? :-// :-//

No, I don't think so - I've had the new firmware for 12 hours - turned it off and on several times.

And I think I just found another measurement bug........

Look at the displayed measurements of these two images - the only difference between the two is that I deleted the Width measurement on the 2nd image. Should the DSO not measure Rise and Fall just because it can't do Width?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:40:21 pm by marmad »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
BTW, can you please post your 2ns setup file, I'll see if it works here with raise/fall times  ;) ;)

Teneyes has it. If you can not get it from him, send a privat mail with your emai address to me.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Hmmm... I start to think that the screwy measurement behavior is all caused by a single bug.

Here is another image - no current measurements being taken - and yet the average is changing constantly?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:34:29 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
So, re-booting made all of the odd measurement behavior go away - for now. But that just means that the bug is intermittent - which might be worse for tracking it down. It also means that you might have to check for it anytime you want to start measuring.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:41:11 pm by marmad »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
No, I don't think so - I've had the new firmware for 12 hours - turned it off and on several times.

And I think I just found another measurement bug....  :(

Look at the displayed measurements of these two images - the only difference between the two is that I deleted the Width measurement on the 2nd image. Should the DSO not measure Rise and Fall just because it can't do Width?

OK, I have used this new firmware only two short times. These are anyway new bugs. Maybe somebody has fumbled with that old cursor window problem???

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
Tests continue on sunday. I keep this new firmware now for testing. There was no problem to downgrade it to the old one.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
I see that it was a good idea to buy a DSO-X 2002A instead. On the other hand, it has only 100kpoints memory per channel. You can buy an upgrade to 1Mpoints per channel. But somebody might need the 7Mpoints per channel of DS2000.  :-//
Here's my new machine.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:52:17 pm by Hydrawerk »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
I see that it was a good idea to buy a DSO-X 2002A instead.

Nice scope! Cursor Dx has 7 digit precision!

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Well, it is funny. But no problem.  :)
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
But somebody might need the 7Mpoints per channel of DS2000.  :-//

28Mpts per channel - and yes, I use it all the time.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
OK, I have used this new firmware only two short times. These are anyway new bugs.

I've only seen one new bug. It can cause some erratic behavior of some of the measurements;  it's initial cause is still unknown, but it is intermittent and seems to disappear with a reboot

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Nice scope! Cursor Dx has 7 digit precision!

@EV - Did you know that the number of digits of the cursor and other measurements is only related to the screen space? Inside the Rigol, those variables are real (floating point) numbers stored in scientific notation - and if you pass the data to a PC, you can display them with 8, 10, 12, etc. digit precision  - which is what you should always do with any DSO if you need high precision measurements.

Offline zibadun

• Regular Contributor
I see that it was a good idea to buy a DSO-X 2002A instead.

We need to give something back to Rigol for the money they saved us.  So we are doing a volunteer Beta testing program for them.  Fair enough... I guess. :-//

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
also it stopped printing S/N and time on top of the pictures

My scope also stopped putting the 30 pixel top border (with model, serial number, and date/time stamp) on the image after the 2nd or 3rd save.

Offline zibadun

• Regular Contributor
Ok, ACK on the raise/fall being equal.  Actually it doesn't matter what counters you select, they all just show the same damn number. And the Auto cursor shows the wrong stuff.
see screen - we've got 19.65 Megaseconds rise time and 1.9 Gigapecent Duty cycle  :-DD

one workaround is to use only a single metric at a time

The good news is that the 2ns setup file is GOOD (tnx EV,Teneyes).  Also what do you know, the trials got unexpired.   :phew:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:09:35 am by zibadun »

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
I updated too. Got a file from my retailer Drieg 5 hrs ago. Its more responsive when vertically positioning is the first thing I liked. Also no options status list on first screen at last.  No same rise & fall bug. I hate the white top with the Model# S/N and date-time on a saved screen. It should have been optional and only for user description/comment. On the older non 3D RUU it chews the bottom space even. On newer RUU it saves as a whole. Here is a screenshot (I cropped out the white top tag).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:21:35 am by Salas »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
I've only seen one new bug.

At least one, I hope Rigol can correct it soon!

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
No same rise & fall bug. I hate the white top with the Model# S/N and date-time on a saved screen. It should have been optional and only for user description/comment. On the older non 3D RUU it chews the bottom space even. On newer RUU it saves as a whole. Here is a screenshot (I cropped out the white top tag).

Hi Salas,

Thanks for your post, but I think it would be good if we owners start using the same terms for the various problems to avoid re-posts of any conflicting/overlapping information from previous posts. BTW, both versions of RUU use the same routine to get the image from the DSO (it expects 480 vertical pixels), so it shouldn't make a difference in terms of losing the bottom.

The measurement bug
What we know:
This has been confirmed by 3 people on at least 2 different model types. It is not specifically related to Rise and Fall measurements; when it's active it affects a number of different measurements in strange ways. It is intermittent - sometimes it's active; sometimes it's not. A reboot appears to make it disappear temporarily.
What we don't know:
What causes it to happen? Edit: Preliminary information in next post. This is vital information to try to find out in order to help Rigol fix it quickly.

30 pixel white border on top of images
What we know:
This has been confirmed by 3 people on at least 2 different model types. The DSO appears to just stop attaching it to exported images at some point. For me, it stopped after 2 images.
What we don't know:
What causes it to stop?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:25:09 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
EDIT: Updated information on the bug here.

Ok, the measurement bug can be invoked by re-selecting measurement items. At first I thought it was started by the screen-saver, but in fact, it can be triggered by just leaving the DSO turned on re-selecting measurement items.

To test for it, do the following:
(Re)Boot the DSO.
Send DSO a test signal with very different rise and fall times (e.g. sawtooth wave).
Select Rise and Fall measurements from left-side menu.
Confirm they are different.
Delete the measurements.
Leave DSO and return in 10 minutes.
Re-select Rise and Fall measurements from left-side menu.
Confirm they are now the same.
(Optional:) Turn on other measurements to confirm that there are other errors (+duty, frequency, etc).

First image taken just after reboot:

Second image taken after deleting and re-selecting measurements:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:22:37 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Update:

After deleting measurement items, using "All Items -> Recover" does not invoke the bug, but re-selecting them from the left-side menu does.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
We need to give something back to Rigol for the money they saved us.  So we are doing a volunteer Beta testing program for them.  Fair enough... I guess.

Yes, it appears we Europeans and Australians are the Beta testers before North American release of the new firmware - and we've already discovered a bug   ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:35:05 pm by marmad »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
@Marmad

Have you raported the bug to Drieg or Rigol? I can not use the scope today. No new bugs has appeared?  :-+
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:15:53 pm by EV »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
@Marmad

Have you raported the bug to Drieg or Rigol? I can not use the scope today. No new bugs has appeared?  :-+

I sent Drieg an email (and a PM to John South). No new bugs, but I don't really have much time for any in-depth testing for a few days. I had only wanted to check the new firmware for the previous known bugs  ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:12:24 pm by marmad »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf