Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1100329 times)

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
So what they do I think for sinc interpolation is check how many original data points fit in the current screen.
Calculate how much they need to up sample so have enough points on screen - n. Insert n-1 zeros in between each original sample points and then filter with sinc filter (approximation of it )(ideal brick wall fs/2 in frequency domain) and the result is 1400 bytes shown on screen. 
Of course if we have sampled data on the current screen more then 1400 bytes no need to sinc interpolate.     

Actually, the waveform display area is only 700x400 pixels on screen; the 1400 bytes are endpoints of vectors.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:28:11 pm by marmad »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
Here is firmware upgrade procedure from Rigol:

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Here is firmware upgrade procedure from Rigol:
Yes - the same one as here.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Firmware upgrade of Agilent DSOX2000 series is much more simple... http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/software.jspx?ckey=2014479&lc=eng&cc=CZ&nid=-33575.970747&id=2014479
To update your oscilloscope's firmware, do one of the following:

Place the file on a USB flash drive, connect it to the oscilloscope, press [Utility] > File Explorer, select the file; then, press Load File.
    If your oscilloscope is on the network: you can place the file on your computer, access the oscilloscope's Web Interface (see the User's Guide for details), click Instrument Utilities, select Firmware Version, browse to select the file; then, click Install.

After your oscilloscope's firmware is updated, check the calibration status: press [Utility] > Service > User Cal Status. If "Results: OK" is displayed, you do not need to recalibrate. If calibration is required, press the Start User Cal softkey.
There is even no talk about the uninterruptible power supply. No instrument damage warning. Probably Agilent uses an advanced firmware protection or something.

Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
Firmware upgrade of Agilent DSOX2000 series is much more simple... http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/software.jspx?ckey=2014479&lc=eng&cc=CZ&nid=-33575.970747&id=2014479
To update your oscilloscope's firmware, do one of the following:

Place the file on a USB flash drive, connect it to the oscilloscope, press [Utility] > File Explorer, select the file; then, press Load File.
    If your oscilloscope is on the network: you can place the file on your computer, access the oscilloscope's Web Interface (see the User's Guide for details), click Instrument Utilities, select Firmware Version, browse to select the file; then, click Install.

After your oscilloscope's firmware is updated, check the calibration status: press [Utility] > Service > User Cal Status. If "Results: OK" is displayed, you do not need to recalibrate. If calibration is required, press the Start User Cal softkey.
There is even no talk about the uninterruptible power supply. No instrument damage warning. Probably Agilent uses an advanced firmware protection or something.

Same on the Instek. :P  So there.  epeen! epeen!

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Firmware upgrade of Agilent DSOX2000 series is much more simple...

Same on the Instek. :P  So there.  epeen! epeen!

Ok, I'm convinced! The huge 'difficulty' of upgrading firmware is the last straw.  ;D  I'm selling my Rigol DS2000 and buying a less powerful Agilent DSOX2000!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:41:08 pm by marmad »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Anyway I am not going to try what happens if there is a power cut during firmware upgrading of DSOX-2002A. I hope that nothing happens, but who knows? :-//

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
Ok, I'm convinced! The huge 'difficulty' of upgrading firmware is the last straw.  ;D  I'm selling my Rigol DS2000 and buying a less powerful Agilent DSOX2000!

I do not sell anything. I only buy more. Selling is problem of my heirs.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:51:24 pm by EV »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive

This is just overly cautious language from a manufacturer. Cutting power to any electronic device when it's re-writing internal memory is never a good idea. But the UltraVision series have a boot-loader built into non-volatile memory that makes it almost impossible to brick the device - since you can, in theory, always recover from half-written firmware.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
*** The trail options DO NOT disappear anymore after a self-cal, they where there again
before and after i had my 1703 minutes left...

Sorry to disagree, but I specifically installed trial options using a new license code then did a self-cal. and they vanished. So I don't know what happened when you did it, but when I did it they were erased. So I don't think it's wise to tell people it's been solved yet until we know the parameters of exactly when it does/doesn't erase them.

The header on the top of a print screen can be changed a little by changing some setup
see attached file, where now the date is left out. It seems they put the para.txt in the file.

As mentioned a few times, the header disappears after a couple of saves.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:42:24 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Other people dont get it back, but on my machine...it  is strange it did not happen on my DSO ?????

It's possible that it happened to me because I had just installed a new trial license key (i.e. not factory-installed one), but I don't know. Using SCPI commands, you can install any license key - and uninstall official keys. So since I had an extra trial key, I uninstalled my official one and installed the trial key. Then I used it for ~2.5 hours - then tried a self-cal - and it lost the remaining 2000 minutes.  :(  So it's still not clear what provoked the bug.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:56:35 pm by marmad »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Has somebody tried to connect the scope to a USB inkjet printer? Not an important feature, but this doesn't work on my DSOX2002A, it has no Pict Bridge support. Rigol should have this, according to the manual.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
RS233 Options
Does anyone know it there is any differences in the functions of
the RS232 Decode function:
 on the   DS2000    at $222
 on the   DS4000    at $500
 on the   DS6000    at $750   

Are the functions just crippled by menu items???

I doubt there is any difference - but you could find the documentation for each one and compare.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
EDIT: I think the header is there for factory use, after some time it disappear, normally in the factory
they make a print screen for admin. After shipping it is gone by time.

Yes, I think so too. It also looks exactly like the header on the Agilent X Series images  ;)

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
UPDATE, a second self -cal and the options are gone... |O
Totally, even the option box is grade out.... |O

Oh well - you have to test the recovery method on this FW version anyway, no?  ;D

And if that doesn't work - then it's time to downgrade and get them back  ;)

At least they don't vanish during an upgrade - which is probably the most important thing!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:15:20 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Just got the following Version Notes doc for the latest version from Jason Chonko, Apps Engineer at Rigol North America.

Interesting stuff!

Edit: Funny - I was just writing out a list of the standard triggers for a different thread - and I noticed that Runt was now included. And sure enough, in the Version Notes, it mentions Runt has been changed to a standard trigger (not options package anymore).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:21:11 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
These bits are interesting:

"Added SCPI command for decoding data"
"Added option for power analysis (PC software)"
"Support DS2000-S series"

Version: 00.01.00.00.03   Date: 2013-4-1

E: Enhancements / M: Modification

1.      Added SCPI command for decoding data   E
2.      Fixed the cursor window error when change cursor mode(201303000020)   M
3.      Added option for power analysis (PC software)   E
4.      Fixed screen saver error when the scope have a trial license   M
5.      Fixed Anti-Aliasing error when reboot the unit   M
6.      Optimized the sampling rate in AC or Ext trigger   E
7.      Fixed “open record” error    M
8.      Optimized the trace display in normal trigger mode when change the horizontal or vertical setting   E
9.      Optimized the speed of PNG file storage   E
10.      Fixed the data error of .csv file   M
11.      Increased the sampling rate in ROLL mode   E
12.      Switched the position of channel in XY mode   M
13.      Optimized the compatibility for updated flash chip and writing/reading speed   E
14.      Changed the RUNT as standard trigger    M
15.      Support DS2000-S series   E
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:35:35 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I just ran a quick file compare of the FW from Jason versus the FW gotten through John South - but they are identical - so no fix yet to the measurement bug.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
What's DS2000-S series?
Anyway, I like the DS2000's easy replaceable fuse. Most scopes have the fuse inside, often even solderer (Tek DPO2000, DSOX2000...)

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I'm not sure if the DS6000 Demo Board has been mentioned before on EEVBlog or not (a quick search didn't turn up anything), but I found it at Batronix while searching for any possible new UltraVision products - and I hadn't seen it before and thought it was kind of interesting. It lists at €163 / $225 (excl.), and I've attached the user guide below.

"This Demo board is used to illustrate the basic functions of the oscilloscope. It is powered through USB port and can output 25 kinds of signals for the illustration of oscilloscope functions, i.e. sine, video (PAL/NTSC), AM Modulation, Sweeps, many digital signals and lots more. Delivery including Demo Board, USB Cable, CD with manual."

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:17:21 pm by marmad »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
What's DS2000-S series?
Anyway, I like the DS2000's easy replaceable fuse. Most scopes have the fuse inside, often even solderer (Tek DPO2000, DSOX2000...)
Looks like a 25MHz signal generator added internally to the DS2000: http://cn.rigol.com/download/China/DS/Datasheet/DS2000_DataSheet_CN.pdf

Translated specs:
Number of Channels 2
Sampling rate 200MSa / s
Vertical resolution of 14bits
Maximum frequency of 25MHz
Standard waveforms sine, square wave, pulse, triangle wave, noise, DC
Arbitrary Waveform Sinc, the index rose, the index fell, ECG, Gauss, haversine
The sinusoidal frequency range from 0.1Hz to 25MHz
Flatness of ± 0.5dB (relative 1kHz)
Harmonic distortion of-40dBc
Spurious (non-harmonic)-40dBc
1% total harmonic distortion
Signal-to-noise ratio 40dB (TBD)
Square / pulse frequency range of 0.1Hz to 15MHz
Rise and fall time <15ns
Overshoot <5%
Duty cycle of 10-90%
Duty cycle resolution of 1% or 10ns (whichever is the greater value)
The minimum pulse width of 20ns
Pulse width resolution of 10ns or 5 (whichever is the larger value)
Jitter 500ps
Triangle wave frequency range of 0.1Hz to 100kHz
Linearity 1%
Symmetry 0-100%
Noise bandwidth of 25MHz (typ)
Arbitrary wave frequency range of 0.1Hz to 10MHz
Waveform length 2 ~ 16k points
Internal storage of 4
Frequency accuracy of 100ppm (less than 10kHz) 50ppm (greater than 10kHz)
Resolution of 0.1Hz or 4, whichever is greater
The amplitude output range 20mVpp ~ 5Vpp, high impedance 10mVpp ~ 2.5Vpp, 50ohm
The resolution 100uV or 3, whichever is the greater value
Accuracy of 2% (1kHz)
DC offset range ± 2.5V, high impedance ± 1.25V, 50ohm
The resolution 100uV or 3, whichever is the greater value
Accuracy of 2% (1kHz)
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Looks like a 25MHz signal generator added internally to the DS2000:

Dual channel AWG - nice!  ;D Also, nice find - thm_w - thanks! I just started a new thread with this info since I think many people will be very interested.

Offline Galaxyrise

• Frequent Contributor
Seriously? You think that's how the image would look if connected with straight line segments? With 5 sample points per division?  ;D  Well, here it is for you  - un-interpolated. Print it out, get out a ruler and pencil, and give it a go  ;)
What? Of course seriously! Did you think I was trolling you or something?

The peaks are the only part where the curve would be obvious in your capture, and many of them are oddly straight with harsh changes in slope.  So I did what you suggested, more or less.  I took your image into a paint program, drew vertical grid lines every 10 pixels (as measured for your dots display), lined up the grid lines with the non-smooth parts of the wave (they do coincide), and played around drawing lines.  The peaks obviously aren't pointy enough, but If those lines just continued straight for a few more pixels then the whole thing would basically be straight line segments.

It would have been a lot clearer with a square-er aspect ratio per period, I think.

...and it looks a bit funny for a perfect sin.
There is no such animal.
I guess that's what it boils down to!  I was expecting that the interpolation's synthetic sine would be pretty faithful, but I guess there's some rounding or error accumulation or whatever that causes it to flatten up at that aspect ratio.   Interestingly, Teneyes' 6pt has just a couple pixels more per period, but the sine looks much better.
I am but an egg

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
The peaks obviously aren't pointy enough, but If those lines just continued straight for a few more pixels then the whole thing would basically be straight line segments.
I just took the sample points image into Photoshop and connected the first few segments. I don't really think you could mistake the difference between this and sin(x)/x interpolation - although granted, it would perhaps be more obvious if the sine wave cycles were bigger (shorter timebase).

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:21:51 pm by marmad »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I'm not sure if the DS6000 Demo Board has been mentioned before on EEVBlog or not (a quick search didn't turn up anything), but I found it at Batronix while searching for any possible new UltraVision products - and I hadn't seen it before and thought it was kind of interesting. It lists at €163 / $225 (excl.), and I've attached the user guide below.

Rigol are supposed to be getting me one of those, looks interesting.
They should most certainly get you one too!
I also have a Tek MSO demo board.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:04:50 am by EEVblog »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf