Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 776997 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #525 on: December 11, 2015, 05:52:50 pm »
I met a gentleman last weekend,.......

Here is what I came home with...and everything works and it in excellent condition.

How did I do?     My mentors told me to ease up on gear purchases until I learned more...but this was a temptation I could not refuse.
:-+
Best score ever, well done.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline highlux

• Contributor
« Reply #526 on: December 11, 2015, 08:57:50 pm »
Im so gad I did good!   lol. 

I have a bunch of cool stuff to play with now.   The learning curve....jeez.   But I'm on the right site now.

Thanks guys!

Dave

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #527 on: December 12, 2015, 04:49:57 am »
How did I do?

Made out like a bandit. There are multiple units there that each one was good value for $600.
One thing you didn't mention - did he have manuals for any of that, and did you get them? Hopefully.

I've just had a nice score. Not test equipment, but still...

On Thursday I spent the day cleaning and polishing furniture, at my mum's place. She's too old to manage such things now.
On the way there I'd seen a kerbside toss 'office machine'. I've been trying to resist picking up junk since I really don't need any more stepper motors and metal rods, etc. But this was a big, quite new looking thing. I didn't even pay attention to what it was due to being in a hurry. I've been hoping to start finding digital copiers containing hard disks and thought this might be one. So far none (too recent I guess.)
When I got it home and looked, it turned out to be a color laser printer. A Fuji-Xerox Docuprint C3300 DX. It had been out in overnight rain, so had water through some areas inside. Thinking it would be interesting to tear down a color laser printer (never had one before) I left the covers open for a while to dry it out. (Hot here in Sydney atm.)

What started to get my attention was that it became clear the unit had been owned by someone either very heavy handed, or bad tempered. A few physical breakages, all obviously from user slamming body doors open and closed violently, wrenching paper guides, etc. The obvious ones:
 - One hinge on the main front lid. Pin popped out of position, so there is no actual hinge. Halts the machine since the door doesn't position properly and it carries the main paper feed path. Pin easily popped back into place.
 - Restraining arm and damper on left of main door, snapped right off. Also prevents the door closing unless you carefully steer the broken end while closing the door. I think the other half is inside the case. If so I can repair it. But not critical.
 - Plastic gear that equalizes the manual paper feed guides. Had popped off it's pivot and rattling around loose inside. Just popped it back on.
 - A thin plastic guide that's part of the manual feed path. Obviously broken by violently opening the front cover. Fixable.

I thought hmmm... angry idiot owner broke the machine. I wonder if that's all that's wrong with it, or was he angry due to some prior fault? Looked at toner cartridge prices - no way I can afford to buy new cartridges if they are low.

The plan had been to immediately dismantle it, not even bother powering on. But what the heck... it looks in good condition otherwise. Just in case those are the only things wrong... I waited a couple of days till it was well dried out  then after fixing the critical hinge pin, powered it up.

Ha ha... it works. At least it prints a clean B&W page of status and settings.
So funny to see the page counters:

Meaning, the color cartridges are full. I wonder who bought a very expensive color laser printer, then only used it for bulk B&W printing?
Now to get the manual and drivers and try color printing.
I don't really care if it works; it's not like I greatly need a color printer. But amusing to get a good one for free, and with full color cartridges.

Ha ha ha! I just realized. In restoring an electric motor for a vacuum pump, I'd made a note to print off a little replacement label for the wiring details inside a cover. The original had to be scraped off prior to repainting.
See http://everist.org/NobLog/20151112_planning_vacuum.htm   "20151202 Wednesday"
So I do have a very slight need for a printer atm. Was going to do it at someone else's place who does have a printer.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:51:42 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline highlux

• Contributor
« Reply #528 on: December 12, 2015, 02:23:15 pm »
Didn't get any manuals...but I found most of them online.

I also got several solder stations...and this bad boy I forgot to mention...

A Fluke 3330B Calibrator!!!

I just discovered I had misses it last night.   

And an Eico 150 signal tracer.

I have some machinist bits and such I acquired over the years I have no use for...and am bringing them out to the man...as its his other hobby.  I have a feeling I will come home with more goodies next weekend.

Dave

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #529 on: December 12, 2015, 07:02:53 pm »
Didn't get any manuals...but I found most of them online.

I also got several solder stations...and this bad boy I forgot to mention...

A Fluke 3330B Calibrator!!!

I just discovered I had misses it last night.   

And an Eico 150 signal tracer.

I have some machinist bits and such I acquired over the years I have no use for...and am bringing them out to the man...as its his other hobby.  I have a feeling I will come home with more goodies next weekend.

Dave
Great to have manuals.  :-+

Do add those 2 to your list....impressive that it already is plus any more from your kind benefactor if you get lucky with more stuff.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Tim F

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #530 on: December 13, 2015, 01:06:50 pm »
Fluke 233 advertised as faulty, only displays "----". Problem turned out to be the IR LED in the display had lifted off the PCB taking the pads with it. Glued it back down, added some bodge wires and it works flawlessly  :-+

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #531 on: December 13, 2015, 06:29:17 pm »
Fluke 233 advertised as faulty, only displays "----". Problem turned out to be the IR LED in the display had lifted off the PCB taking the pads with it. Glued it back down, added some bodge wires and it works flawlessly  :-+
Nice fix Tim.  :-+

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #532 on: December 14, 2015, 07:38:33 pm »
Here is my Fluke 196B , after replacing battery it works more than one week  :-+
Photo is from my hotel room in Germany:)

Offline dundee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #533 on: December 14, 2015, 09:46:46 pm »

Looks great, what kind of service are you doing there?

I scored this one before a few days. It's a Höcherl & Hackl DC Load, 400V/8A 300W / 600Peak.
Input is shorted. Fingers crossed, i'll get it repaired.

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #534 on: December 15, 2015, 12:58:56 am »

Looks great, what kind of service are you doing there?

I scored this one before a few days. It's a Höcherl & Hackl DC Load, 400V/8A 300W / 600Peak.
Input is shorted. Fingers crossed, i'll get it repaired.

Happy repairing. Nice unit :-DMM

I there only programming, testing and debugging such X-Ray devices :)
And drinking keller beer :D   :-+
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:01:16 am by BFX »

Offline mojoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #535 on: December 16, 2015, 08:27:40 pm »
This was several years ago. I was given several boxes of Sams Photofacts for free. Traded them for an HP 5061B cesium frequency reference. Used it for about a year and then sold it for $1600.

Offline mojoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #536 on: December 16, 2015, 08:45:42 pm »
I thought I posted this one before, but I can't find it. So...

Was given a Fluke 123 Scopemeter that wouldn't power on. Did some Googling and found that the keypad membrane was a common fault. Disassembled, cleaned with IPA and applied DeOxit. It worked for one week then wouldn't power on again. Paid about $70 for a new keypad "foil" from the Scopemeter guy. Still working just fine after six months or so.

The battery pack was also dead. Did not want to pay the price that Fluke wanted. Even the Scopemeter guy gets a bit of money for a lousy NiCad pack. Took the old pack to the local Batteries Plus store and paid $12 to have them rebuild the pack. Rebuilt battery pack also still working great.

Offline awde

« Reply #537 on: December 16, 2015, 08:52:07 pm »
Fluke 8020A from university's dumpster. Seems to be working.

Offline leppie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #538 on: December 21, 2015, 09:04:02 am »
2 x Tektronix 465 (faulty, no sweep apparently, but otherwise almost perfect cosmetic condition).
Both have doc pouches.
One has front cover.
One has original user manual.
One has original service manual.

All for the sweet price of less than US$25   :-+

Offline gearhead

• Contributor
« Reply #539 on: December 24, 2015, 05:01:29 am »
I have the HP 6202B as well as an HP6205......great power supplies and amazing you got them for free. If I were looking to buy them today I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred $$.

Those old HP p/s are built like tanks. Work great! I have an old Lambda LH125FM and an Electronics Research Associates Model 110MC 0-100VDC p/s that I paid $25 for from Tucker Electronics in Dallas. Tough units and work like new. AND you can repair them if something happens.
You need at LEAST one working o'scope to repair an o'scope, and you need SEVERAL working multimeters (digital & analog) to repair another multimeter! Not to mention EVERYTHING ELSE!

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #540 on: December 25, 2015, 09:51:44 am »
Agilent 82357B USB to GPIB adapter, used off of ebay for $31 USD shipped - and it isn't a fake, yay. The locking screws do have the ends snapped off - not a problem here though.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:08:36 pm by TheSteve »
VE7FM

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #541 on: December 29, 2015, 08:24:19 am »
Picked up a Racal Dana 5002 Wideband level meter.

Plugged it in, turned it on, and saw deadness......from hell.....

Turns out the lithium battery in the unit was removed.

Subbed in 3.5 vdc from a power supply, lo and behold, it works.

Pretty neat unit for 10 bucks.

Good thing I don't have to part it out.

Offline purfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #542 on: January 02, 2016, 04:56:47 pm »
This probably doesn't fall under the category of "test equipment", but I got a good deal on a pretty cool robot arm (Staubli TX40) on top of a big Newport optical table.  I bought the whole thing for $1600 at an asset liquidation auction for a pharmaceutical company.  I've fired it up to make sure it works, now I just need to think of something fun to do with it.   :)

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #543 on: January 02, 2016, 07:43:16 pm »
fully tricked out 1682a . sold for scrap : 100$ ...
did not boot
- battery empty
- firmware nuked
- corrupt drivers

restored to fully working :)  now upgrading the blade to make it a 1680A ( 136 channel 800 MHz )
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #544 on: January 03, 2016, 04:49:58 pm »
Updating the blade? The older ones I have seen (HP 16600 with low channel count) usually had the HP BGA ASICs missing. New ones are fully populated  with only connector missing?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #545 on: January 03, 2016, 09:59:19 pm »
This probably doesn't fall under the category of "test equipment", but I got a good deal on a pretty cool robot arm (Staubli TX40) on top of a big Newport optical table.  I bought the whole thing for $1600 at an asset liquidation auction for a pharmaceutical company.  I've fired it up to make sure it works, now I just need to think of something fun to do with it.   :)

I just saw a coherent box. Hummm, maybe a laser cutting robot?

There's something about the idea of a cutting laser on the end of a multi-axis robot arm, that seems a little risky.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline gadget73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #546 on: January 04, 2016, 03:30:22 am »
Free stuff:
Simpson 260-7 with a case.  Found at the dump, needed only a battery cover
Simpson 260-7P, sent to me for the shipping as a parts donor for the meter above.  Case was cracked, battery cover OK,  worked fine.
Sound Technologies ST1700A - cost some time to adjust it to spec.  Semi-permanant loan from a friend.

cheap stuff:

Simpson 260-2, $5, bad meter movement but a perfect case.  Case went on the 260-7, case from the 260-7 onto the 260-7P.  This was then given to someone else who needed a Series 2 parts meter.
BK 1540 scope, traded a used laptop hard drive for this.
Eico 667 tube tester - $25 at the flea market
Eico 378 audio generator - $10.  High THD, but good enough for signal tracing
RCA WV77E VTVM - $20, awesome for doing alignments on old radios
Triplett 2a AC ammeter, Weston 0-130 VAC meter in cool little cabinets - $5 each, perfect accessory for an autotransformer / variac
Superior Powerstat $10, because everyone needs an autotransformer
BK 1692 40 amp DC bench supply - $50

Not "cheap", but happy with it anyway

HP 3456A - $100, in nice shape
HP 8640B - $150, works perfectly, no problems with the tuning gears

Cheap, but not actually working

Singer spectrum analyzer - $5.  No horizontal sweep, but once I figure out the sawtooth generator the rest seems to work.  If its stable enough, this should be awesome for IF strip alignments.

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #547 on: February 08, 2016, 08:24:21 am »

HP 3456A - $100, in nice shape

I would not mind having one of those.

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #548 on: February 13, 2016, 12:17:16 am »
After watching EEVBlog #542, I took the plunge and got myself a desoldering station, a clone of the ZD-915, made in China as well, but branded by a Brazilian company (Hikari).
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #549 on: February 13, 2016, 10:56:35 pm »
After watching EEVBlog #542, I took the plunge and got myself a desoldering station, a clone of the ZD-915, made in China as well, but branded by a Brazilian company (Hikari).

I've considered getting ZD-985 version but I'm not sure I'd use it that much. I really wish I'd bought a Hakko 808 before they were gone. The 808 kit was selling for just over $200 right before the FR300 was announced. There's also a baseless unit (gun and stand only) on eBay that looks a lot like it for about half the cost.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf