Author Topic: Server Error Reports  (Read 721664 times)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Server Error Reports
« Reply #225 on: July 02, 2020, 12:05:50 am »
Why is the quoting in this wrong?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/scope-wars/msg3115270/#msg3115270

My response is not nested correctly.

Reg

Because some of the quote tags were in the wrong place, I edited it, is this what you wanted?

Code: [Select]

[quote author=gf link=topic=244895.msg3115242#msg3115242 date=1593644906]
[quote author=rhb link=topic=244895.msg3115206#msg3115206 date=1593643321]
Why do you have the 20 MHz BW filter turned on for this? 
[/quote]

Sorry, the [b]AWG[/b] isn't faster :(

[quote]
A 1024 point FFT with a 1 ns sample interval has a 500 MHz Nyquist and 977 kHz RBW.  With a 1024 pixel wide screen *every* sample can be shown. There is no interpolation needed.
[/quote]

Timebase is 20ns/div => ~1000 pixel = 200 ns, plus some headroom for zoom-in after stopping the capture. In the time domain display of the first image (-> step interpolation) you can see that the 1ns samples from the ADC are more than one pixel wide.

I'm pretty confident that the reported 12.5Gs/s FFT sampling rate is indeed the (upsampled) display buffer sampling rate for the selected timebase. Particularly in the first image, the spectrum beyond 1GHz matches the expected spectrum of the step-interpolation as shown in the time-domain trace.
[/quote]
Please put a 50 ohm thru termination on it and repost.  A BNC tee with a 50 ohm terminator is "good enough".  I'll address the rest later.  Interpolation does *not* imply greater BW.  Common knowledge if you resample via Fourier transform as I usually do.

Reg

gives this -

Why do you have the 20 MHz BW filter turned on for this? 

Sorry, the AWG isn't faster :(

A 1024 point FFT with a 1 ns sample interval has a 500 MHz Nyquist and 977 kHz RBW.  With a 1024 pixel wide screen *every* sample can be shown. There is no interpolation needed.

Timebase is 20ns/div => ~1000 pixel = 200 ns, plus some headroom for zoom-in after stopping the capture. In the time domain display of the first image (-> step interpolation) you can see that the 1ns samples from the ADC are more than one pixel wide.

I'm pretty confident that the reported 12.5Gs/s FFT sampling rate is indeed the (upsampled) display buffer sampling rate for the selected timebase. Particularly in the first image, the spectrum beyond 1GHz matches the expected spectrum of the step-interpolation as shown in the time-domain trace.
Please put a 50 ohm thru termination on it and repost.  A BNC tee with a 50 ohm terminator is "good enough".  I'll address the rest later.  Interpolation does *not* imply greater BW.  Common knowledge if you resample via Fourier transform as I usually do.

Reg
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #226 on: July 04, 2020, 12:10:14 pm »
Regarding the mysterious picture adds/replacements. I caught this problem in mid post that might give some clues to what is going on....

I am entering in a new post. I add a picture. In this case it is a picture of a mushroom in a photography focus stacking thread. I do the usual and add the pic, the post has not been sent.

In another window, I then scrolled through my old posts to find one that I intended to link into the post that is still open.

My eye caught that the pic of the mushroom had been substituted for a post of a graph in a corona virus thread - literally added to the post and when viewing the post, I can see that it was added and I could also see a notice:

There are attachments found, which you have attached before but not posted. These attachments are now attached to this post. If you do not want to include them in this post, you can remove them here.

So leaving an unattached photo (as when you are writing but have not submitted a post) is fair game to be inserted into any of ones posts that you view (not modify). Sounds nutty, but it looks like that is what just happened. I will complete the post and edit this message to see if it changes.

EDIT: as you can see, the pic in "limbo" got attached to this post. I did not add it to this post as per normal. Now that I know, I will be sure to have all my pics for a post lined up before opening any other windows or doing any other actions.

EDIT: I also see that the mushroom pic remained added to the corona virus post and bumped the original pic. I had to 'hand' correct that.

EDIT: and further, while the thumbnail pic attached to this post is the mushroom, the pic after the thumbnail is clicked, is the graph from the corona virus thread that I had to replace. I will log off hopefully clear the cache du jour and see if there is persistence....logging off/on makes no difference.

Pics in limbo are evil and get put in places that you don't want. Orphaning pics is the devils work  :)
And now it's some other image, a still capture from a newscast. This problem is getting worse, it looks like to me.

I've encountered it here, among others:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/moisture-and-electronics/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/restore-dirtycorroded-ic-pins/

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #227 on: July 04, 2020, 01:53:05 pm »
Regarding the mysterious picture adds/replacements. I caught this problem in mid post that might give some clues to what is going on....

I am entering in a new post. I add a picture. In this case it is a picture of a mushroom in a photography focus stacking thread. I do the usual and add the pic, the post has not been sent.

In another window, I then scrolled through my old posts to find one that I intended to link into the post that is still open.

My eye caught that the pic of the mushroom had been substituted for a post of a graph in a corona virus thread - literally added to the post and when viewing the post, I can see that it was added and I could also see a notice:

There are attachments found, which you have attached before but not posted. These attachments are now attached to this post. If you do not want to include them in this post, you can remove them here.

So leaving an unattached photo (as when you are writing but have not submitted a post) is fair game to be inserted into any of ones posts that you view (not modify). Sounds nutty, but it looks like that is what just happened. I will complete the post and edit this message to see if it changes.

EDIT: as you can see, the pic in "limbo" got attached to this post. I did not add it to this post as per normal. Now that I know, I will be sure to have all my pics for a post lined up before opening any other windows or doing any other actions.

EDIT: I also see that the mushroom pic remained added to the corona virus post and bumped the original pic. I had to 'hand' correct that.

EDIT: and further, while the thumbnail pic attached to this post is the mushroom, the pic after the thumbnail is clicked, is the graph from the corona virus thread that I had to replace. I will log off hopefully clear the cache du jour and see if there is persistence....logging off/on makes no difference.

Pics in limbo are evil and get put in places that you don't want. Orphaning pics is the devils work  :)
And now it's some other image, a still capture from a newscast. This problem is getting worse, it looks like to me.

I've encountered it here, among others:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/moisture-and-electronics/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/restore-dirtycorroded-ic-pins/

Wow, you are right. The pic displayed (the one you referred to as from a news cast) was the last pic that I attached to a post and it was attached to a post after making the original post in the this thread.

I wonder if my original post in this thread (the mushroom thumbnail but varying pic when you click it) will pic up the last pic link that I use. Testing it with this pic:

Edit: well, so far it (the mushroom thumbnail in my original post in the thread) has NOT picked up the squirrel post above - it still clicks to the newspost pic. Odd.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 02:00:06 pm by DrG »
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2020, 02:13:22 pm »
I've seen users posted images or attachments change after few hours to a different one from the same poster.

My rigoltime.png on here loads as xy.png
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/does-a-capacitor-charges-smooth-or-in-stairs/msg3103617/#msg3103617

I've removed and re-added rigoltime.png. :)

Ed But it changed again. :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:49:46 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: July 04, 2020, 03:33:44 pm »
I just posted 3 photos.  The first one was munged.  When I tried to fix it I got a time out error.  I did not open any other EEVblog post.

Edit: Here's the post:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/scope-wars/msg3119276/#msg3119276
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:35:32 pm by rhb »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: July 04, 2020, 08:50:25 pm »
Here's another post where the thumbnails expand to the wrong image.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/critique-my-first-pcb-design/msg3114552/#msg3114552

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #231 on: July 05, 2020, 03:51:38 am »

I've noticed that when attaching 2 or 3 images in-line, full size, the order of the attachments is not always respected...  I then have to edit the post and change the AttachImage tags to make it work...

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: July 05, 2020, 01:03:51 pm »
"I've noticed that when attaching 2 or 3 images in-line, full size, the order of the attachments is not always respected..."

I used to add the attachments in reverse order.
I used to add the attachments in the correct order one by one, "modifying" the post after posting to add attachment 2.

None of them are 100%, it seems worse now where a thumbnail doesn't open the correct image - as well. :horse:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 01:08:47 pm by StillTrying »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #233 on: July 05, 2020, 03:57:26 pm »
Good to know it's not just me... I thought I had somehow personally offended the Forum Gods.  :-DD

Good Hunting, gnif. Hope you get it sorted soon. :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #234 on: July 06, 2020, 04:06:31 pm »

I've noticed that when attaching 2 or 3 images in-line, full size, the order of the attachments is not always respected...  I then have to edit the post and change the AttachImage tags to make it work...
Yep, that's an unrelated problem discovered immediately when the two image attachment plugins were added. There are no plans to fix it. :/

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #235 on: July 06, 2020, 05:35:07 pm »
Good to know it's not just me... I thought I had somehow personally offended the Forum Gods.  :-DD

mnem

Here's a single image post example from today if it helps... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/source-for-these-beefy-pancake-coils/
Best Regards, Chris

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #236 on: July 06, 2020, 09:46:04 pm »

mnem
Nope it ain't just you mnem as the forum has some serious issues with attachment of files.
For now it's only safe to attach one/post.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #237 on: July 06, 2020, 10:17:12 pm »
Different people are reporting different things, maybe a database or cache coherency issue?  Seems related to the relatively recent attachment upgrade, but I wonder why it didn't show up as a problem before; if the caches just weren't filled up until recently, that could hint at something?

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #238 on: July 07, 2020, 03:06:41 am »
Not sure... like Gyro's example; I've had a post with a single image bork two older posts daisy-chain style. If I delete the borked pic to replace with the correct one, sometimes THAT pic will bork other older posts further down the thread. I think there's something messed up in how the database handles file pointers, m'self... but that's just drawn from hazy memories of Filesystems Forensics coursework in Uni almost 2 decades ago... :-//

mnem
 :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #239 on: July 07, 2020, 03:28:51 am »
Not sure... like Gyro's example; I've had a post with a single image bork two older posts daisy-chain style. If I delete the borked pic to replace with the correct one, sometimes THAT pic will bork other older posts further down the thread. I think there's something messed up in how the database handles file pointers, m'self... but that's just drawn from hazy memories of Filesystems Forensics coursework in Uni almost 2 decades ago... :-//

mnem

The messages and images may be served straight out of a database...   no file system involved.   It seems like a pretty ugly bug, though, that one message can affect another.  Definitely things are being scrambled somewhere in the system, possibly incompatible libraries after a patch or update, or something like that.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #240 on: July 07, 2020, 03:45:51 am »
Calling Dave, come in Dave.

What's going on ?  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: July 07, 2020, 05:40:30 pm »

mnem

The messages and images may be served straight out of a database...   no file system involved.   It seems like a pretty ugly bug, though, that one message can affect another.  Definitely things are being scrambled somewhere in the system, possibly incompatible libraries after a patch or update, or something like that.

Yeah, that's me misremembering/misusing terminology last grokked over a decade ago.  :palm: gnif stated a couple pages back in the interest of transparency that SMF stores all attachments as a hash of the file contents and references them via a table. To me this sounded like pointers (base address and offset address in a table?) and I probably should've kept my mouth shut.  :-DD

If you don't use it you lose it. ;)

mnem
*goes and stands in the corner*

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #242 on: July 07, 2020, 08:43:35 pm »

mnem

Yeah, that's me misremembering/misusing terminology last grokked over a decade ago.  :palm: gnif stated a couple pages back in the interest of transparency that SMF stores all attachments as a hash of the file contents and references them via a table. To me this sounded like pointers (base address and offset address in a table?) and I probably should've kept my mouth shut.  :-DD

If you don't use it you lose it. ;)

mnem
*goes and stands in the corner*

What we are seeing is a fault of that type -  relationship between two logical entities has gone amiss, whether implemented as pointers or references to another table or whatever.  FUBAR covers it!  :D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline dcac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2020, 09:07:13 pm »
I've encountered this nasty picture posting bug with my posts in this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/show-us-your-mains-waveform!/msg3128860/#msg3128860 , they should have two pictures each. But only the first uploaded picture seemed to be affected. Trying a couple of times re-uploading and saving the post again seemed to fix it. But not so lucky on the last post it just seems to hang during upload when I try to modify it.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: July 11, 2020, 02:33:29 am »
Given that this seems to be happening to the same people repeatedly (I'm looking at you Mnem) and not to just everybody at random, can I suggest that the people who've experienced this post what combination of browser/version/platform that they are using? It has the flavour of being something like a change in platform javascript behaviour, perhaps tied to a particular recent version/update. If my hypothesis is right we should see some commonality between the setups of people that it's happening to, if it's wrong then we won't.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: July 11, 2020, 12:47:23 pm »
Given that this seems to be happening to the same people repeatedly.

Yes it only effects some of us and some images, but it's not at our end. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/website-error-reports/msg3104478/#msg3104478

I've added a spare rigoltime.png attachment to see if that one changes, I'd already removed and replaced the first one but it changed again. :)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/does-a-capacitor-charges-smooth-or-in-stairs/msg3103617/#msg3103617

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 12:49:58 pm by StillTrying »

Offline dcac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #246 on: July 11, 2020, 01:13:53 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/show-us-your-mains-waveform!/msg3130828/#msg3130828

Trying to workaround the bug I only posted one pic/post on my last two posts - but both got affected anyway - post #1 I noticed immediately - had correct thumbnail but opened up the pic from post#2 - I re-uploaded pic to #1 and that fixed it. Both posts were correct 12h ago but now post#2 opens the pic from #1.

Are we being cyber attacked?!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #247 on: July 11, 2020, 01:31:10 pm »
Not that I'm aware of.

Gnif knows about it and is trying to find the time to track this down.  (Remember, he puts in is own time for free to look after this place.)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #248 on: July 11, 2020, 05:48:07 pm »
Given that this seems to be happening to the same people repeatedly (I'm looking at you Mnem) and not to just everybody at random, can I suggest that the people who've experienced this post what combination of browser/version/platform that they are using? It has the flavour of being something like a change in platform javascript behaviour, perhaps tied to a particular recent version/update. If my hypothesis is right we should see some commonality between the setups of people that it's happening to, if it's wrong then we won't.

Nahhhh... it's happening to lots of people. You just notice it more with me because I'm a heavy abuser of visual aids; goes with the territory being the class clown. ;)

I've been trying to find a process which ameliorates the issue; right now I'm doing this:

I make sure I finish the longish process of editing the text of a pic-laden post and click "Review" just before adding pics to eliminate the possibility of a "There are new posts" red flag ducking up my file uploads; this has been going on since long before this latest SMF indignity.  |O  BTW, I have confirmed that it isn't just image files which get borked; I had a .pdf wind up in limbo the same way not too long ago.

Also, I make sure to:

Resize my pics to ~300k or less

Upload 3 or less at a time, and

Wait 10 seconds after the last pic is "uploaded" before I click "POST" or "SAVE" so the process completes as quickly as possible.

This ties in (I think) with the notion gnif proffered a while back that the issue is related to lag in propagation between servers; at first I thought it might have been because I sortof straddle 2 transatlantic trunks here in Toronto, but extensive trial & error found no correlation with whether I was using my VPN (server in New Jersey) or not. :-//

When I DO get a borked pic, I try to fix it by just adding that pic again and linking to the new pic rather than deleting the faulty pic and replacing it. This seems to lessen the likelihood that fixing a post will then bork another older post in the thread. It SEEMS to; that may just be confirmation bias. :-//

Good hunting, gnif!

mnem

Offline dcac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #249 on: July 11, 2020, 06:30:39 pm »
Some more info:

From the PC I made the #1 and #2 mentioned posts - both pictures are still correct - I can open the page in a new window or restart Firefox or reload the page over and over - and they are still correct.

But if I open the page in a new private window in Firefox - clicking the thumbnail in post #2 shows the pic from post #1. And this is also the case if I open the page from any other PC.

EDIT:

Also just tested - if I log out from eevblog the behavior is the same as I described.

Perhaps the behavior has something to do with the cookies stored on the PC I posted from - I don't know.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 06:51:28 pm by dcac »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf