29 (12.3%)
Yes. Mildly used.
44 (18.6%)
Yes. Regularly used.
32 (13.6%)
Yes. Heavily used.
11 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 233

Author Topic: [Poll] Do you have a Facebook account?  (Read 18530 times)

Offline lpc32Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
[Poll] Do you have a Facebook account?
« on: April 11, 2016, 03:25:06 pm »
Something mentioned in another thread made me wonder. Are techies really less likely to use Facebook, as I assume?

A recent discussion:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/facebook-it-can-be-tamed-and-useful/

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:27:44 pm by lpc32 »

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: [Poll] Do you have a Facebook account?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 03:43:54 pm »
Only created it to sign up to a university project, and for certain apps. However, I haven't used it in months so I may just end up deleting it.

Offline NilByMouth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 04:38:27 pm »
I wonder how many people are too worried about the stigma to vote Yes

Offline Blaffetuur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 04:44:53 pm »
I have facebook, but I only check it once per day when I'm on a PC. Don't have it installed on my phone

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 04:58:15 pm »
I only really have it for Messenger.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Electric flower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 05:00:07 pm »
How am i supposed to waste time and stalk cute geeky girl i like?  >:D
Also when late for class it's easy way to find out where you should be...  :-//

But main reason i use facebook is to stay in contact with friend from another part of country, as well with skype.
More than facebook i prefer to use twitter to stalk Dave and some other people, they post much better stuff than any facebook page, also there is quite few contests on twitter by dangerous prototypes where they give free pcb to random retweet.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All play and no work makes Jack a mere toy.

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 05:16:10 pm »
Hell no.

It's merely providing a stage and local fame for narcissists and petty voyeurs both of which are very bad human traits. It's quite vile in places.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 05:40:19 pm »
You need a 'Yes, but haven't logged on to it for several years now' category.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 05:47:17 pm »
I wonder how many people are too worried about the stigma to vote Yes
It's anonymous. Unless people worry about the admins.

You need a 'Yes, but haven't logged on to it for several years now' category.
I guess that counts as a technical "no". :)

So far, surprising results. It's even lower than I expected.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 05:47:34 pm »
I have one for technical reasons, meaning that at one point in the past I was tasked to integrate a piece of software to post into the user's wall if they chose to do so (default was off and not required to link it to your facebook account).

That was about 6 years ago, never bothered to delete my test account and I still get friends requests even if I never used that account for anything other than development. Funny I did have it set to the highest privacy settings at the time (to avoid development content leaks) so I do find it strange that people I know actually sent me friend requests (which I never accept), I guess FaceBook somewhat lets them know that they might know me somehow, not from activity on the interwebs since my use of that account was strictly used for development and only had third party development accounts from another company.

Scary thing is that FB was able to figure out some of my actual friends and FB sends me links of people I might know (and I do know them)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 05:49:23 pm by miguelvp »

Offline AwArD_RzD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 05:47:50 pm »
Used Facebook for some time, 2008 till early 2015, closed my account and well i didn't die so  :-DD. There so many ppl who think they need FB to breathe and stay connected with "friend" , if they want to talk to me well i already have many phone number, e-mail or they can just show at my doorstep and i will be happy to offer them a drink and talk !!

steverino

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 05:58:18 pm »
I don't use facebook for socializing  (in fact, my only personal "friend" is my daughter so I can get photo updates on my granddaughter.  I "unfriended" my other daughter because she was too gabby!).  Facebook is great for keeping up to date on my various interests (robert reich (politics),chess24, guitar making, ... even eevblog). 

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 06:02:50 pm »
I "unfriended" my other daughter because she was too gabby!
I know kids do that to their parents, but didn't think the other way around was possible. ;)

Offline Blaffetuur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 06:23:21 pm »

You can "unsubscribe" form her feed and still be friends with her (I do that with a lot of people  ;D)

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 07:16:49 pm »
No Facebook, no Twitter, no Linkedin, no MySpace, no Google+ yet I still manage to have friends and I get out of the apartment two or three nights a week. Most of the networking sites are a waste of time and one or two are privacy nightmares.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 07:24:04 pm »
stigma? O freely admit to having a Facebook account. The last thing I posted on it? I birthday wish for my second son. The last update before that? A birthday wish for my first son. Yes, I have an account. Yes, I check it daily. But I do not feel inclined to share every aspect of my daily life "Just woke up, what a great day!"  "Just got out of the shower, so clean!" "Finally at work - wow, that moron in the blue SUV.."

All that mundane stuff of everyday life isn't interesting to ME, why the hell should it be interesting to anyone else? And why would anyone think other people would be interested in the mundane aspects of their lives? Yes, I log on to my FB account every day. I also scroll right through 99% of what is posted. The order of operations math problems particularly infuriate me, as it only reinforces how dumb the bulk of the population is, especially when you actually try to explain it and they argue with you about it. So I don't even bother. Sometimes the quizzes, particularly ones about SF or history, look interesting, but usually they are so ridiculously simple that it's obviously been written for the typical reader of Twilight books, not real SF and fantasy. Either way, they always give you the option to post your results to your wall - I ALWAYS say no.

The one thing I do use FB for is to organize get togethers with friends and family. Either through group chat or the event option, makes it easy to let people know and get an idea of how many will show.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 07:39:10 pm »
I have an account and use it regularly.

90% for work related contacts and issues.
10% for pure social - birthdays, marriages, getting a hold of someone that moved, etc.

I simply think about what I share and only post what I would otherwise be willing to say to complete strangers in public. I don't talk about my medical details, my social security number, my whereabouts, or anything that could be spread onto a wall and piece together my world. The public may or may not find out that I was on vacation a week or two after the fact for example.

Facebook is a tool to be used with the same caution as a hammer. Pound it the right way in the right place at the right time and all is well - and the tool is useful. I am not sure why anyone is scared of it (I know many), you simply need to have your own personal boundaries and stick with them. Facebook cannot share anything that you did not put there in the first place. If any critical detail of your life is leaked - it is your fault.

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 08:40:15 pm »
So far, surprising results. It's even lower than I expected.

Was it Yes or No that surprised you?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 10:17:02 pm »
Have an account. Never use it. Log in maybe once every few months to make sure it still works.

You can "unsubscribe" form her feed and still be friends with her (I do that with a lot of people  ;D)

This.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 10:26:55 pm »
Have an account. Never use it. Log in maybe once every few months to make sure it still works.

Likewise. I'd rather hear about what my friends are doing when I meet up with them. The longer it's been, the more we have to talk about.  ^-^
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 11:00:25 pm »
I signed up back when it was new and was limited to university students.  They added my university when I was a junior in 2005 and I signed up then.  I was on it pretty regularly through ~2008 when I met my future wife, and pretty much dropped down to 1-2 logins a year after that.  I'm pretty proud of the notification emails I get now, in which the number of "updates" is saturated at 99.  I get grumpy when somebody adds me as a friend and makes me log in to approve them because it resets the "updates" counter back to 0...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 11:38:18 pm »
I tried to decypher my wifes Facebook page once but to me it just looks like this:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:40:26 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 12:48:01 am »
There are a couple groups for people that own my type of car, so it's a good outlet for info, and occasional contact with someone people I know, but I barely use it.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 12:53:23 am »
Yes.  But unlike most people. I don't have many friends on it. The majority are relatives and former co-workers. I try not to have current co-workers as friends on Facebook just in case someone decides they want to be a bastard and try to screen shot something I said at one point. All but 2 are people I know in real life. In fact I have more unaccepted friend requests than friends. (Many are people that I know but haven't felt the need reconnect with)
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 02:08:40 am »
Something mentioned in another thread made me wonder. Are techies really less likely to use Facebook, as I assume?

I think the majority of the type of people you get in here would be more resistant to Facebook and social media or if they use it, it's not to "Like" a particular product for the sake of it or post picture of their lunch, but rather for a specific purpose.

Engineers, experts, nerds whatever... would generally have a more critical and analytical view of the world, including social media. Rather than just blindly following along because it's popular, but asking themselves "why". I personally view Facebook as a money generator for everyone but the users themselves. It's full of advertising (whether you notice or not) and basically anything you post is theirs to use however they want, even your name. Take this little number from their terms of service:

You give us permission to use your name, profile picture, content, and information in connection with commercial, sponsored, or related content (such as a brand you like) served or enhanced by us. This means, for example, that you permit a business or other entity to pay us to display your name and/or profile picture with your content or information, without any compensation to you. If you have selected a specific audience for your content or information, we will respect your choice when we use it.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/terms

Is it only me that's a little disturbed by stuff like this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf