Author Topic: FTDI driver kills fake FTDI FT232??  (Read 953178 times)

Offline krater

• Regular Contributor
Re: FTDI driver kills fake FTDI FT232??
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:38 pm »
FTDI have delivered innovative products that have enabled the maker community.
Just admit you are hired by FTDI for social media damage control. You have repeated this marketing buzz-words collection several times now. It doesn't work on engineers.

If I was I imagine I would get fired for saying: "Fucking freetard, neckbeard, makers can't see beyond the end of their noses"

So, here it is: You fucking freetard, neckbeard, makers can't see beyond the end of your noses. Not seen any evidence you are engineers either. Will that convince you?

Troll x

AHAHAHAHAHHAA.....okay, I think we should add 10 more pages to this thread, then it looks like a real big discussion and maybee FTDI pays you and maybee they change their driver too....
"it was working yesterday.  hmmm.  maybe the vendor FTDI'd me via a windows update..."

Offline KPR8

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #151 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:55 pm »
But any part in your design could be substituted with a fake. What makes the FTDI part so special, besides getting immediate and visiable feedback that it's broken?

FTDI parts are especially attractive to cloners - relatively expensive and easy to clone with lots of brand recognition

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: October 22, 2014, 10:18:06 pm »
Time to sell FTDI stock if you have any.

Offline KPR8

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2014, 10:20:45 pm »

Y, but let's face it, you don't (or any other asset - emphasis on the ass - for that matter).

Offline krater

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2014, 10:21:03 pm »

Okay, its a good idea to destroy the reputation of a own product to destroy the market of clones. It's just like chemo therapie....
 :-DD

Oooooh, the 'makers' are pissed :S

No, I'm amused. I like your trolling, its better than viewing TV this evening.
"it was working yesterday.  hmmm.  maybe the vendor FTDI'd me via a windows update..."

Offline KPR8

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2014, 10:23:13 pm »
There is a strong flavour of 'the walking dead' in here....

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2014, 10:23:40 pm »
its not just 'makers'.  I am seeing a lot of design (product) engineers steer away from ftdi just to avoid any RISK of having this hit them.  unless you are a huge company, you cannot micromanage your offshore board builders.  sure, you spec in a real ftdi part; but the pcb makers who stuff your board will do what they want and unless you have a man on the ground, there, 7x24, you cannot be sure some fakes won't slip into the supply.
But any part in your design could be substituted with a fake. What makes the FTDI part so special, besides getting immediate and visiable feedback that it's broken?

my point is that ftdi has shown themselves to be TOO self-serving, to the point of being caustic and dangerous.

companies, once proven that they act irresponsibly (to this level) would get blacklisted and never trusted again.  and if anyone else did this, their chips would also get blacklisted at the design level.  why even chance using parts from a company who treats their CUSTOMERS as 'disposable'?

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2014, 10:24:22 pm »
Oooooh, the 'makers' are pissed :S
Snooooore. ::) You keep recycling your inflamatory attempts. Come on, either troll properly or not at all. Not this haphazard faffing about.

Oh oh oh! An ass related ad hominem. Barely servicable, but I guess it'll have to do for now.

Alright, who's in charge of troll procurement? We seem to have gotten an inferior batch this week. :'(

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2014, 10:25:45 pm »
No, I'm amused. I like your trolling, its better than viewing TV this evening.
Mmmh, okay-ish I suppose. I've seen better. But it's not the worst, I agree.

Offline krater

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2014, 10:26:11 pm »
There is a strong flavour of 'the walking dead' in here....

Do you mean FTDI or the bricked clones ?  :-DD

P.S.:F**k, I don't find the zombie-smiley...

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2014, 10:27:15 pm »
I have read every message here. I have decided, as have others, to not buy anything that is or claims to be an FTDI product. I as an end use have no way of knowing if I am buying a genuine item embedded in a product. In some countries at least, I am sure that this activity by FTDI is illegal. Do I care about legality? Sometimes, but usually not as the legal system is set up to benefit those who have the most money to lobby the law makers.

Do I care about morality? Yes. Morality means doing no harm to others if at all possible and doing no harm to any innocent parties in any way. FTDI has stepped over that line. They harm those who are innocent and the guilty parties still get to sell their products. The counterfeiters are definitely in the wrong but effectively destroying the end user's device is just plain wrong. Disable the device driver? No problem. Inform the end user? No problem. You can't punish the end user just because the thieves are in a place where you can't punish them. If someone is knowingly using counterfeit parts or items, too bad for them.

But the end point is that FTDI has shot themselves in the foot. Legal and moral issues aside this is a disastrous move. The unwashed masses know nothing of what this really means and have no idea what they can do to fix any problems this might cause them. What will they do? They will do the only thing that is easy to understand. They will avoid all and any FTDI based or claimed products because NO ONE can be sure they will not buy a fake and then have a useless device. This is an example of lawyers being the usual idiots they are.  I will make sure anything I buy is claimed to not have any FTDI products inside. It is just a matter of practicality, not legal nor moral at this point.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:42:58 am by Lightages »

Offline KPR8

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2014, 10:27:26 pm »
Damn, I am forced to admit it, I am a fake Chinese clone troll. But this just reinforces my argument. If you want new, innovative trolling then you should buy your trolls from the original manufacturer.

Edit: No, a driver update won't get rid of me :D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:32:26 pm by KPR8 »

Offline KPR8

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2014, 10:30:47 pm »
I have read every message here. I have decided, as have others, to not buy anything that is or claims to be an FTDI product. I as an end use have no way of knowing if I am buying a genuine item embedded in a product. Legall, in some countries at least, I am sur ehtta this activity by FTDI is illegal. Do I care about legality? Sometimes, but usually not as the legal system is set up to benefit those who have the most money to lobby the law makers.

Do I care about morality? Yes. Morality to means doing no harm to others if at all possible and doing no harm to any innocent parties in any way. FTDI has stepped over that line. They harm those who are innocent and the guilty parties still get to sell their products. The counterfeiters are definitely in the wrong but effectively destroying the end user's device is just plain wrong. Disable the device driver? No problem. Inform the end user? No problem. You can't punish the end user just because the thieves are in a place you can't punish them. If someone is knowingly using counterfeit parts or items, too bad for them.

But the end point is that FTDI has shot themselves in the foot. Legal and moral issues aside this is a disastrous move. The unwashed masses know nothing of what this really means and have no idea what they can do to fix any problems this might cause them. What will they do? They will do the only thing that is easy to understand. They will avoid all and any FTDI based or claimed products because NO ONE can be sure they will not buy a fake and then have a useless device. This is an example of lawyers being the usual idiots they are. Buy FTDI. I will make sure anything I buy is claimed to not have any FTDI products inside. It is just a matter of practicality, not legal nor moral at this point.

Another pissed off maker, no one's going to care if you don't by another 10 chips..... Blah, lawyers, blah, take my business elsewhere, blah, I want the benefit without rewarding the creators of the IP ....

Fake troll

This user has been banned - no more reports please
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:09:02 am by Simon »

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2014, 10:32:26 pm »
this forum needs a 'genuine troll' test and if the troll does not seem real, his ip addr gets set to all zeroes.

(#include "notsureifserious.jpg")

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2014, 10:32:58 pm »

FTDI parts are especially attractive to cloners - relatively expensive and easy to clone with lots of brand recognition

And part of their good reputation was that they always worked. Where chips like like the prolific pl2303
only worked half the time, because they kept changing drivers to combat fakes

Unless you have an xray machine you have no way of knowing if it is fake, you can just see that chip with a certain name on the top doesn't work

Offline KPR8

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2014, 10:33:56 pm »
Sort of like a Captcha for trolls.... "Enter your inflammatory opinion in this box"

Offline flynnjs

• Contributor
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2014, 10:34:41 pm »
The actions of issuing something that is labelled as a driver update which carries out
unauthorised modification of firmware on a computer device could well be a
violation of Section 3 of the Computer Misuse Act:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/18/section/3

As FTDI are a UK based company, they could well be in the shit as they've
pretty much admitted to doing it willfully, on Twitter.

FTDI, I know you're monitoring, so sort out your shit out otherwise I'll have
to put different devices in my products. Yes, I buy direct from FTDI so I'm
not even complaining this is burning me but I'm just not interested in doing
business with a corporation who behaves this way.

Offline krater

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2014, 10:34:49 pm »
Damn, I am forced to admit it, I am a fake Chinese clone troll. But this just reinforces my argument. If you want new, innovative trolling then you should buy your trolls from the original manufacturer.

Oh, I knew it all along ! You want to troll FTDI with claiming that you're payd from FTDI to troll us as a fake chinese clone troll....or fake FTDI troll clone ? Wait.....fuck...no I don't know what I shall think..... :D

hmm....okay I try the patched linux driver.... :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:37:19 pm by krater »

Offline KPR8

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2014, 10:36:00 pm »
Unless you have an xray machine you have no way of knowing if it is fake, you can just see that chip with a certain name on the top doesn't work

Sure you do, buy them form a reputable reseller and not from 'dodgy chips r us' coz you want to save a buck - simples :D

Knock off troll

Offline Andlier

• Contributor
« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2014, 10:36:19 pm »
I'm looking forward to a video from Dave on this one!  :D

No more FTDI-cables and chips from now on, I heard prolific and silabs among others has alternatives.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2014, 10:39:11 pm »
The actions of issuing something that is labelled as a driver update which carries out

Or Criminal damage - seems like there is a deliberate intent to cause damage. The lwarning-in-the-license argument is null & void if it came with a Windows Update.
Maybe someone should ask Microsoft for their view on this....

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online nctnicoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2014, 10:39:33 pm »
And shares  O0
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline KPR8

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2014, 10:40:02 pm »

As FTDI are a UK based company, they could well be in the shit as they've
pretty much admitted to doing it willfully, on Twitter.

FTDI, I know you're monitoring, so sort out your shit out otherwise I'll have
to put different devices in my products. Yes, I buy direct from FTDI so I'm
not even complaining this is burning me but I'm just not interested in doing
business with a corporation who behaves this way.

Butt hurt maker with aspirations to be a lawyer! Woot, double troll points. No one cares, fuckwit

Oh, I knew it all along ! You want to troll FTDI with claiming that you're payd from FTDI to troll us as a fake chinese clone troll....or fake FTDI troll clone ? Wait.....fuck...no I don't know what I shall think..... :D

:D

Offline nitro2k01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2014, 10:41:37 pm »
Has anyone figured out what the driver does exactly? Does it do some magic to detect the fake chip, and then set the PID to 0? Or does it attempt to set the PID to 0, and that then fails on a real FTDI chip but works on a clone?
Whoa! How the hell did Dave know that Bob is my uncle? Amazing!

Offline krater

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2014, 10:41:58 pm »
Hey,

why no one write a virus that sets the vids of all FTDI and clone chips to 0000 ??? :D
I'm sure that will be a giant chaos...MUAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAH.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf