Author Topic: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.  (Read 722228 times)

Offline ProBang

• Contributor
Re: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.
« Reply #275 on: September 07, 2012, 04:01:08 am »
[...] i know the MS8240D exists but it seems nobody sells it  :'( [...]

Perhaps, Uni-T bought the complete production of the ES51922? Made a exclusive contract?

BTW: I've now ordered a UT-61E, too. From DinoDirect.
At this time, right from the beginning on, it looks like, that was a big failure...
I'd used a payment- system which is offered from DD for Customers in Germany (and some other countries).
But they can't handle it.
It seems, this transaction will be a thriller...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:12:23 am by ProBang »
If you think my english is bad...
- then should you read my french!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #276 on: September 07, 2012, 04:36:04 am »
Not so exclusive if Victor is also using it  :o

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #277 on: September 08, 2012, 11:19:42 am »

Also, I was searching recently and check out this blue OEM version of the UT61E. I think it looks kinda slick, though I def like the red better.

Blue will surely fare better on dirt, scratches, and stains in the long run. If taking into account what is possible across brands, worse offender is bright yellow in this respect. Next is orange. Red is so so, dark green is good.  Black and dark grey are good also but not so commonly offered.

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #278 on: September 08, 2012, 12:24:50 pm »
I just ordered one of these, so when it arrives in a few weeks, the first thing I'll be doing will be - not turning it on - taking it apart, to see if the new iterations still have the same bodge jobs from 2011, or if the pcb has been changed in any way since then. I don't know how recent a batch the one I ordered will be drawn from though.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #279 on: September 08, 2012, 03:24:04 pm »
See my teardowns, a little bit of botch but if it doesn't affect performance or usability i don't care.

Offline ProBang

• Contributor
« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2012, 12:04:08 pm »
Hello.

FYI: Mastech MS8240D

It seems, the 8240D is available. Not from Mastech...
Re-badged as Peaktech 3430 USB:

http://www.peaktech.de/productdetail/kategorie/digital---handmultimeter/produkt/peaktech-3430-usb.html

And it is in stock. For example:

http://www.reichelt.de/Multimeter-digital/PEAKTECH-3430U/3//index.html?ACTION=3;GROUPID=4058;ARTICLE=110389;SHOW=1;START=0;OFFSET=16;SID=12UD8EzX8AAAIAAGPGZOA75f1179d84f5a256d2f165678f2ca529;CCOUNTRY=628;

To comparing the price, the UT-61E from the same seller:

http://www.reichelt.de/Multimeter-digital/UT-61E/3/index.html?;ACTION=3;LA=446;ARTICLE=97151;GROUPID=4058;artnr=UT+61E;SID=12UD8EzX8AAAIAAGPGZOA75f1179d84f5a256d2f165678f2ca529

BTW: The payment for my order is meanwhile confirmed. (What a surprise...)
Now the order is stated as "approved". Waiting for "stocking up".
I'm curios, how long it will last...
It's just a test. That was the first order I've placed immediately by a seller in China.

Greetings,

Hartmut
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:10:03 pm by ProBang »
If you think my english is bad...
- then should you read my french!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #281 on: September 10, 2012, 01:01:35 pm »
22,000 counts and it's showing 343.00 hmm...
In any case, that site you showed me already far too expensive for both models (it being titled with "Reich" is interesting  ;D ;D ;D)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:03:08 pm by T4P »

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #282 on: September 10, 2012, 02:04:28 pm »
In any case, that site you showed me already far too expensive for both models (it being titled with "Reich" is interesting  ;D ;D ;D)
The UNI-Ts sold by Reichelt are fitted with beefy fuses and German text on the back.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #283 on: September 10, 2012, 02:27:04 pm »
Is it? Let's have some pictures!

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #284 on: September 10, 2012, 04:41:48 pm »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #285 on: September 10, 2012, 05:34:43 pm »
Is it? Let's have some pictures!

Whoa more than just the fuse has changed. The resistor bridge is gone up top. Much beefier input protection it looks like (i'm guessing the black barrel is some sort of MOV or something). The circuit board itself is dramatically different. MELF resistors at the bottom. It looks like most things have been moved, traces rerun, etc. What was the manufacture date on the card inside the manual?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:38:38 pm by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #286 on: September 10, 2012, 05:58:57 pm »
Whoa more than just the fuse has changed. The resistor bridge is gone up top.

That would be because it's a UT61C, not a UT61E.

As I thought, that's a 5x32 or 6.3x32 rather than a 10x38, for the mA range. Quite acceptable.

Note the model number. Now note the reading. Funny, that. The chip allows for external control of the LCD.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #287 on: September 10, 2012, 06:13:27 pm »
So did you manage to fit a 10x38 overly-tight or what? Actually i'm looking to put just a 6x32mm because after all, blowing up mA fuses is far more common than blowing up A fuses thus much cheaper and i don't think you would be using mA too much on 50kA systems are you  ;)

Well that black thing can be two things: MOVs or Sparkgaps
And the fuses appear to be pretty cheap, find them all over in taobao. Is it? I'm not sure
But i'm sure the mods won't cost you that much extra, for the extra safety i'm modifiying BOTH of mine

6x32 or 10x38 i'm not sure ...
But i notice the glaring omission of a input resistor R39 on the UT61E, which is on the PCB but it isn't there! I guess you can't include a input protection resistor when you're measuring 220MHz

Here's a reason to stay away from the VC86E, it's just crap.

At least the mov's included and i bet the buzzer doesn't sound half as good as the UT61E does, plus it lacks relative which is a total deal killer
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:49:14 pm by T4P »

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #288 on: September 10, 2012, 07:46:07 pm »
That would be because it's a UT61C, not a UT61E.

As I thought, that's a 5x32 or 6.3x32 rather than a 10x38, for the mA range. Quite acceptable.
Yes, it's a UT61C.

The Reichelt supplied manual (in German, they even claim copyright) calls for  a ceramic 6x32, 0.5 A 600 V fast blow fuse for the mA range.

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #289 on: September 10, 2012, 07:51:06 pm »
(it being titled with "Reich" is interesting  ;D ;D ;D)
Only in the way "coworker" contains "cow"  ;)

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #290 on: September 10, 2012, 08:12:26 pm »
So did you manage to fit a 10x38 overly-tight or what? Actually i'm looking to put just a 6x32mm because after all, blowing up mA fuses is far more common than blowing up A fuses thus much cheaper and i don't think you would be using mA too much on 50kA systems are you  ;)

Had to modify the clips.

The following users thanked this post: wasyoungonce

Oracle

« Reply #291 on: September 11, 2012, 11:33:39 am »
well, it's actually a better DMM than i got:

http://www.aecsz.com/show4.htm

useful if i have to make relays schematics: so if i do something wrong at least i don't have destroyed a $500 DMM.... i used as my first multimeter for electronic also, but lasted a couple of weeks...

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #292 on: September 16, 2012, 10:34:35 am »
So i got down to do some tests on power consumption (naturally with a almost identical twin)
9V (Batteries start fresh at 10V but that's unloaded)
1.5mA on capacitance even while measuring a 10mF cap... Big i know
1-2mA on voltage Actually i was pretty shocked it only draws that much at this price point and best part is that the screen is actually more viewable than the 87v As in better contrast and brightness(This is a true reply, my friend uses the 87V at his college, well i mean everyone there uses it)
Didn't really test the rest but when it's in continuity mode with beeper sounding it's about 4-5mA

Okay, here's the most important part some might want to know.
Low voltage performance? Measured at PSU but it doesn't matter, my psu is pretty accurate but i still used it's twin i got from DD to measure the PSU voltage
Battery LV warning? Starts at 5.35V and stops at 5.45V
Voltage where the measurement starts to drift? Doesn't seem to drift above 3.5V but i can't really tell. Even my ET-845 seems to drift way more with fresh batteries, the UT61E doesn't seem to drift before it turns off! I was a little worried when i saw it happening yesterday then i forgot i wasn't using banana plugs
Voltage where it turns on? 2.1 Seems to be right, the datasheet says -2.5 to -3.5 so i'm seeing witchcraft here or is it a buck-boost converter?
I'm seeing ±5V on the AD737J so i'm pretty sure the UT-61E has a buck-boost converter

So my testing is complete, if you do need anymore measurements i'm glad to provide
(This lodestar 8202/8203 psu is freaking impressive, 33 year old caps and they hardly drift or have hardly any noise at all!)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:53:56 am by T4P »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
« Reply #293 on: September 16, 2012, 03:57:06 pm »
1.5mA on capacitance even while measuring a 10mF cap... Big i know
1-2mA on voltage Actually i was pretty shocked it only draws that much at this price point
What would a multimeter like this usually draw at this price point? I'd this related the resistance of the input?

Voltage where the measurement starts to drift? Doesn't seem to drift above 3.5V but i can't really tell. Even my ET-845 seems to drift way more with fresh batteries, It doesn't seem to drift before it turns off! I was a little worried when i saw it happening yesterday then i forgot i wasn't using banana plugs
This part is a bit confusing to me. So are you saying the UT-61E drifts below 3.5V or it doesn't drift before it turns off (or is that in reference to the ET-845). I'm confused about the not using banana plugs comment. Is that in reference to the UT-61E or the ET-845?

Either way the more I see of this meter being put through its paces the higher quality it seems to become. Really it's only major flaw is the input protection, it's not horrible but it's not premium level.  Some will complain about no backlight, personally I have never needed it. All this for under $50 to me is outstanding.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2012, 04:25:47 pm »
Oh, i apologize for confusing you.
What i meant was i did the test again and realized it doesn't drift before turning off! Because the twin was measuring Supply voltage so i used my ET-845 to measure input voltage which drifted even more than the UT61E so i'm pretty darn sure there's almost zero drift.

Need more tests? I shall grab use my stopwatch and time it measuring 10mF and comparing it to (well, a proper MS5308 LCR meter i have in my mind won't measure to 10mF so ah well)

And also 10MOhms accuracy ( Have tens of those lying around ) comparing it with the LCR meter
And also mV accuracy ... this will be a tough one but whatever. Frequency's spot on
Next, making use of the AC RMS and see it's accuracy.

What other meter at this price range that you can easily find that is quite well built (you just have to love the stiff case!) that is based on the ES51922? You can't.
MS8240D < not easy to find, VC86E < Crap quality even at the same price range and it lacks relative oddly, Yihua V&A VA30S < Brand New product so hard to find

And to top it off, show me a 50$ meter that has lighting fast continuity and autoranging (Well, if it's not lighting fast for ya, clean your probes with some IPA)
I find "lightning-fast" response to be very useful if you don't want to waste time and quickly *BEEP..BEEP..BEEP..BEEP*
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:29:25 pm by T4P »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2012, 05:59:10 pm »
No need to apologize, you said what I was thinking you were but just wasn't quite sure. :D That's really awesome that there is more or less no drift based on voltage.  I am wondering if the little transistor sot23 like ic labeled w1 (what the heck does the w part identifier mean) is done sort of charge pump based buck boost or is it just a 3.voltage regulator. Otherwise I can't find a single ic that would control buck boost features.

I was really really impressed with its accuracy on the 2.2mF caps I tried. They were HUGE 100V  2200uF caps and it read them as within 1.0x% of their listed value. I was both impressed with the precision of the caps (they didn't vary until fourth digit) and the meter (reading these enormous caps at within 1%). I didn't even think about timing it.

I agree the IC by cyrustek is awesome. That being said the vc86e shows that with our proper design you still get crap. It shows that Uni-T took the time to do it right. I agree that case is awesome. Rigid, feels good in the hands, the stand is solid and functional (no bending). The display had more or less 180o viewing angles and easy to read. Yeah and it's fast. I'd love to see Dave throw this one in his next $50 meter shootout and watch it just annihilate the competition.

Also aren't the MS8240d and va30s more expensive? Like around $80 and $150 respectively? Not that those prices are bad, it just illustrates how good of a deal this meter is.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2012, 11:57:58 pm »
Well yeah, i don't know about the prices of the MS8240D. Googling it till the 5th page didn't help
Neither the VA30S
On paper though, the VA30S has everything but Yihua V&A is not a company you look for quality.
But if both of them end up that expensive i might as well buy another MS8218. Mastech is even more well-known for quality
Fact is, the UNI-T UT61E is very highly revered in china and they too hate the UT71 ... I guess it will take the other companies years to make another kickass product that even matches the UT61E.
Anyway, i was looking up the prices on taobao and it's incredibly cheap  :o Actually it only costs 40SGD and that translates to nearly 32USD ... i should have used taobao agents in the first place

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2012, 12:34:01 am »
i was looking up the prices on taobao and it's incredibly cheap  :o Actually it only costs 40SGD and that translates to nearly 32USD ... i should have used taobao agents in the first place

Do you have the link for the $32 61E on Taobao?
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P

Offline dimitrioptimus

• Contributor
« Reply #299 on: September 18, 2012, 10:50:39 am »
Do you have the link for the $32 61E on Taobao?
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=15573161789&ali_trackid=2:mm_14507416_2297358_8935934:1347871879_4k9_375016240#

English Tabao but don't know their genuiness-http://www.englishtaobao.com/taobao?SearchText=uni-t+61E&catId=0

1>Visited Tabao but can't find the shipping calculation for registered post,using google translation.

2>So browsed & found English Tabao but the prices are way higher & are as on par as DD or Dx,

3>In English version there are many 61Es,is those are diffrent supplier ?

4>Can't understand why the chineese ver & English version has such a variation in price.

5>Last thing is,is Tabao is dependeble (supplies genuine part or not)as DD or DX,?Can anyone who had purchase from Tabao can tell the after sales service of them.

Plz en light.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf