Author Topic: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.  (Read 722229 times)

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
Re: UNI-T UT61E Multimeter teardown photos.
« Reply #300 on: September 18, 2012, 11:05:38 am »
I am a frequent Taobao buyer and in my experience if you're buying Chinese brand products it's basically always genuine. If it's imported stuff the price will reflect it and you'll get better deals elsewhere.

The price difference between Chinese and English versions mostly has to do with the affordability and price expectations of the different markets. Simply and bluntly put , English buyers are getting ripped.
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #301 on: September 18, 2012, 11:14:15 am »
And BTW, I don't think the Chinese Taobao is intended to be used by overseas buyers. The sellers generally will not ship beyond Hong Kong and Taiwan. Plus a lot of them expect you to contact them to confirm shipping fee before payment, in Chinese!

Aliexpress.com is the official overseas facing version of Taobao. But again, you'll see vastly different pricing unfortunately.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #302 on: September 18, 2012, 11:16:47 am »
If you are overseas don't use taobao or "englishtaobao" Use a taobao agent, much cheaper.

For me it works out so well and my agent is very trustable, only 7$ for the first 500g! and 4$ for the following 500g w/ EMS
And they pack so damn well, unlike DX!

And BTW, I don't think the Chinese Taobao is intended to be used by overseas buyers. The sellers generally will not ship beyond Hong Kong and Taiwan. Plus a lot of them expect you to contact them to confirm shipping fee before payment, in Chinese!

Aliexpress.com is the official overseas facing version of Taobao. But again, you'll see vastly different pricing unfortunately.
Prices are mostly quoted in "ship anywhere" prices

Offline darrylp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #303 on: September 18, 2012, 11:43:23 am »
So the ut61e has peak mode. Giving what difference to the min / max mode seen on other multi meters ?

I see the actual chip used supports both modes. So what is the diff ?

Sent from my HTC Desire

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #304 on: September 18, 2012, 12:11:39 pm »
So the ut61e has peak mode. Giving what difference to the min / max mode seen on other multi meters ?

I see the actual chip used supports both modes. So what is the diff ?

Sent from my HTC Desire

From the Fluke website:

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/m3en/support/digital-multimeter-faq.htm

Q: What is the difference in the Min/Max and Peak modes on multimeters?
A: The Min/Max mode is as its name implies, it is the highest and lowest reading that the multimeter measured from the time the Min/Max record mode was started. Typically, they need the measured signal's maximum or minimum to be 200 to 350 milliseconds long or longer to get an accurate reading. They work from any mode such as volts dc, true-rms volts ac, resistance, and current functions. Peak mode measures the positive and negative peak voltage of a signal. For the 120 volt ac line, the peaks will read +169 volts and -169 volts (120 V x 1.414 = 169 V for a clean sine wave). Typically they will work for peaks that are 250 microseconds or longer.

Offline darrylp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #305 on: September 18, 2012, 12:21:54 pm »
So the min/max sounds more useful than peak mode to me from that fluke text.

Thanks, Darryl

Sent from my HTC Desire

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #306 on: September 18, 2012, 12:59:11 pm »
No actually you're not right nor not wrong.

It's good for capturing what min/max can't capture, it shows you the peak voltages in DC
But if it's in AC it shows you the peak voltage (non-rms)
Or very fast changing voltages

Offline darrylp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #307 on: September 18, 2012, 06:49:21 pm »
from reading the ES51922 datsheet the peak mode needs a 100us pulse to be able to read / capture.

the min/max works on many more functions than just voltage / current that the peak works on.

hmm, think i might get one of these meters and make a few mod's.  ie this peak / min/max a backlight and the auto power off, all look very doa-ble from the UT61e schematic and the data sheet.

thanks all

:-)

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline Ivanko1

• Contributor
« Reply #308 on: September 19, 2012, 09:55:03 pm »
It is true that when 61E continuity test leads to change the polarity?

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #309 on: September 19, 2012, 11:55:34 pm »

You want to try that one again?

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #310 on: September 20, 2012, 12:26:12 am »

You want to try that one again?
The red lead is negative and the black lead is positive in both Ohms and Continuity mode on the UT61E.  The diode check mode is normal, however.  I think that's what he's referring to.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2012, 04:43:24 am »
It's a fact - it's written in the manual. -1.2V OC Voltage

Offline korborh

• Contributor
« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2012, 05:25:56 am »
Just received mine from Dinodirect in perfect shape.
Compared it to my 87V and I like the accuracy. The low capacitance measurement is great.
The probes tips needed some filing to remove the crappy coating that was preventing proper continuity detection.
Opened it up and all looked good, except that one of the fuses was half way out of the retaining clip. I pushed it back in.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this meter .  ;D

Offline glicos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #313 on: September 22, 2012, 11:24:05 pm »
The amazing thing is that it actually has a LPF ...

Not that it's enabled on the UT61E.

It is ... It's enabled!

Like to verify  T4P, is LPF refers to low pass filter like in fluke 87V usefull for variable frequency drive measurements??

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #314 on: September 23, 2012, 12:06:35 am »
The amazing thing is that it actually has a LPF ...

Not that it's enabled on the UT61E.

It is ... It's enabled!

Like to verify  T4P, is LPF refers to low pass filter like in fluke 87V usefull for variable frequency drive measurements??

Yes, but it is not enabled on the UT61E.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #315 on: September 23, 2012, 06:37:00 am »
Compared it to my 87V and I like the accuracy. The low capacitance measurement is great.
The probes tips needed some filing to remove the crappy coating that was preventing proper continuity detection.
Opened it up and all looked good, except that one of the fuses was half way out of the retaining clip. I pushed it back in.

I tend to reach for it first a lot too, since it does a round of things well and fast. Mine's original UNI-T branded battery lasted little though until the warning started flashing here and there. It was at 6.5V already. I hope it was not that good a battery and it isn't the data com being always on by default.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #316 on: September 23, 2012, 07:13:59 am »

I tend to reach for it first a lot too, since it does a round of things well and fast. Mine's original UNI-T branded battery lasted little though until the warning started flashing here and there. It was at 6.5V already. I hope it was not that good a battery and it isn't the data com being always on by default.
how long did you use it for? (Ah yes, i don't trust the batteries anyway) The Data's 24/7 on as long as you don't do a mod

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #317 on: September 23, 2012, 06:32:24 pm »
3 months average to light use not daily.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #318 on: September 23, 2012, 06:36:02 pm »
Say a couple of tens of hours the most. Data being factory set permanently on is crap amateurism design by the way in that department if you agree.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #319 on: September 23, 2012, 06:48:57 pm »
Data transmission doesn't put much strain on the battery. Only uses 0.2 mA on the Uni-T 71D. Probably the same on the 61E.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #320 on: September 23, 2012, 06:50:08 pm »
Say a couple of tens of hours the most. Data being factory set permanently on is crap amateurism design by the way in that department if you agree.
Do you really have a choice? Read the chip's datasheet. Unless it was a new design to have a dual function switch to switch of RS232 which turns on APO
There isn't a extra button because they got laaaaazy! The hold button isn't used for a backlight because holding it down for 3secs enters delayed hold
1-2mA draw with data on, let's just say the stock battery is shit. Use a GP green battery then, those things go for 24hours with 8mA draw so you'll get about 100-200hours lifetime!  ;D NOTE: Continuity draws 5-6mA
Data transmission doesn't put much strain on the battery. Only uses 0.2 mA on the Uni-T 71D. Probably the same on the 61E.
Don't know about that but that is worth a try. 0.2mA is alot when you are talking about PP3 batteries

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #321 on: September 23, 2012, 07:57:50 pm »
It's a design choice, nobody advertised this meter as having long time logging. 

I'd rather just get a LT1610 and boost 2 AA (probably a bit of hard fit though) or 2 x AAA rechargable batteries up to 7-8v (high enough to not get low battery indicator)... even at 75-80% efficiency at 3-5 mA the meter uses, the AAA batteries will last more than a 9v battery.

Even non rechargeable AAA batteries would last longer than 9v batteries.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #322 on: September 23, 2012, 08:17:50 pm »
They just wanted same casing and buttons across the 61 gamut of models is my guess, simply volume economy. The crap stuff possibly goes to the management to be fair. Who designer would not take advantage of the back-light or would even bare to stare at the screen symbol with the S in it when the DMM is not doing data logging at the time, no matter if not taxing even. I spare the registered trademark phrase ''you can fly to the moon on 200uA'' to Dave of course. ;)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #323 on: September 23, 2012, 09:25:00 pm »
They wanted to keep the look similar and not having to do a total redesign again. After all, they have one too many product ranges already and the UT-60 series was always more well built than the UT-70 so the UT61 and UT71 are the modern (2008) replacements
and... the UT60H (the top of the line) never had any backlight ...
I'd rather just get a LT1610 and boost 2 AA (probably a bit of hard fit though) or 2 x AAA rechargable batteries up to 7-8v (high enough to not get low battery indicator)... even at 75-80% efficiency at 3-5 mA the meter uses, the AAA batteries will last more than a 9v battery.
7-8V is way beyond low batt indicator, a 18650 almost goes in which means it doesn't fit. A Double-A sits on the battery terminals How about a 10400/14500?(AAA/AA respectively) size
With http://dx.com/p/ultra-fire-14500-3-6v-900mah-2pack-975?item=3. (Accurate to about 750mAH, not bad.)

OKAY! the off-the-shelf AA holder doesn't fit. Well time for 10440
http://dx.com/p/fandyfire-10440-3-7v-600mah-batteries-blue-pair-91701?item=3
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:51:48 pm by T4P »

Offline dimitrioptimus

• Contributor
« Reply #324 on: September 27, 2012, 11:31:10 am »
Suddenly price shooted in dino & the current price is $60.39,can't find any working $10off coupon ,there is one i,e,.DDVALENTINE but don't know it is still active or not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf