Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1446001 times)

Offline Photoman

• Regular Contributor
    • PrePress Express
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1825 on: December 18, 2015, 01:34:25 am »
Hi,

Im a newbie based in New Rochelle, NY.  Love Dave's videos!!
Long time lurker, thanks to everyone for all of the help so far!!

-Ian

Offline EdoFede

« Reply #1826 on: December 18, 2015, 05:31:00 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm a IT engineer from Italy with an unbridled passion for electronics since I was a boy.
I follow the Dave's youtube channel and his interesting video by many years.

Nice to meet you all.

Bye,
Edoardo

Offline PhB95

« Reply #1827 on: December 20, 2015, 01:07:32 am »
Hello,

I'm Philippe, Electronics Engineer, working since 35 years in the same company. Now, i don't think i'm a dinosaur :) and i still enjoy nothing more than a day in the lab, fiddling on some new idea.

Over the time I've managed to work on radio, TV, telco, ASICs & FPGAs, software, and all kind of embedded stuff. Avoiding boring slideware and endless meetings is a choice, which prevented me from becoming a manager, but i still earn a decent living :)

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1828 on: December 20, 2015, 02:33:36 am »
Hi,

I'm one of those guys who came up similar to the way Dave did, though I am about 6 years older. Batteries, switches, and lights were some of my favorite toys when young, along with model trains. Stepped up to those Radio Shack kits, starting with the 20 in one which had each part on a small plastic square so you both mechanically and electrically assembled circuits, then to the 100 in one and 150 in one. Also had tons of those Science Fair kits. A neighbor down the street moved away and gave me a huge box full of mixed components and various devices. I first subscribed to Popular Electronics in 7th grade and learned a lot from the Forest Mims column as well as the Experimenter Notebooks he published with Radio Shack. Also got into computers when the first TRS-80 Model 1 came out. I used to pretty much live in the local 'Shack playing with the computer. By the time I got to High School, I knew I wanted to be an electrical engineer. Few more years - and I have a BS in Electrical Engineering. Shortly after starting my first post-college job, I got into more and more computer stuff - networking and application development. I've been in IT ever since, mostly as a consultant, with a few tints as internal IT - enough to know I greatly prefer the consulting gigs. My electronics experimentation has mostly been back burner, doing a few things with my model railroad (still in that hobby - recently bought a house with a large basement so I'm currently designing my next layout). A few months ago someone linked one of Dave's videos and I've been hooked ever since. I've been going through the YouTube channel watching the videos mostly in order, and I recently picked up a whole bunch of Arduino bits to build a signal system for my railroad. Part of my planning for the basement includes a work area which will have a model area, my 'railroad pc' and an electronics work area. Recently picked up a Signlent SDS1102CML scope, after all these years my very first scope. Only other 'professional' level equipment I have is a Fluke 8012A multimeter I snagged from the trash of a client who was taking over another company - what that company's IT department needed with a meter like that I have no idea.

--Randy

Offline algorhythm

• Contributor
« Reply #1829 on: December 22, 2015, 10:12:54 am »
I'm an artist in the states, working with sound and electronics to create interactive work that emits or responds to sound.

Cheers everyone.  Glad you're all here.

Offline ShreveCC

• Contributor
« Reply #1830 on: December 24, 2015, 03:11:53 am »
Hello! My name is Bernie- I am a certified computer and electronic technician (rusty and dated on electronics, but back in on the fun- use it or lose it!).  I am also knowledgeable in computer programming.  I used to write software in C, Assembly, Basic, and RPGIII (dated on these languages too);  most people that know me, consider me as the go to guy.  I live in Michigan with my wife and one son.
Complexity is simple; when you have a complex mind - Just adjust your Sample Rate for others to measure your thoughts clearly.

Offline sambran

• Contributor
« Reply #1831 on: December 24, 2015, 03:24:55 am »
Hey,

I'm a NY based EE.

Offline testmode

• Regular Contributor
  • Test Engineer
« Reply #1832 on: December 25, 2015, 03:09:49 pm »
Been a long time reader of the forums and always been amused of Dave's videos - it definitely isn't easy to be entertaining to engineers and technically correct at the same time!

I've been tinkering with electronics from a young age and started out tearing apart anything that moves and/or lights up in the house out of curiousity then progressed to building kits from those things called magazines (yes, we somehow managed to get thru life without the internet  ^-^).  I've always been fond of microcontrollers and like both the challenge of a properly designed HW and the flexibility of a well-written SW.

Glad to be part of this great community!  :-+

Offline CPitts

Noob (Aus) - Hey there!
« Reply #1833 on: December 29, 2015, 02:00:43 am »
Hey guys and gals!

Been looking for somewhere to chat up electronics and component stuff and came to this site via an EEVblog video taredown of a DSO I'm looking at buying.  Great to see these communities exist in a day and age where people are more interested in commodity electronics and dissposable everything.

I come from a digital electronics/automate/computing/applied science background (double degree... watevs) and am finding myself getting back into it as a solid hobby after ~15yrs break.  Mainly doing stereo system component rebuilds for highest audio fidelity (with lowest noise floor) and lots of Arduino work to solve small issues.

I'm on the hunt for a quality DSO so you'll see me in there soon enough. :)

Great to see such a live community!!  :-+

Offline recury

« Reply #1834 on: December 29, 2015, 09:27:21 am »
Hi,

I'm a software / firmware engineer for a company that makes industrial products, looking to get more into the electronics side of things... programming microcontrollers is fun but I've recently started doing a little bit of (analog) circuit design as well and it's piqued my interest in electronics design in general.

Offline GAD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1835 on: December 29, 2015, 04:31:36 pm »
Howdy!

I found this forum and Dave's excellent videos while researching oscilloscopes. I ended up buying a Rigol DS1054Z which then led me to buy a Siglent SDG2042X. Now I'm on the hunt for a benchtop meter.

I've been into electronics since I was a kid in the '70s when my dad fixed TVs for side-money. I was his tube caddy, and I learned a lot watching him over the years. I still have his analog VOM and all of his slide rules. Though he died when I was in high school (1982), his teachings have stayed with me. I often think about how he would be blown away by something like the DS1054Z being available at the price.

I used to manage a Radio Shack back in the mid-late '80s, and I was very sad when all the local ones closed recently, even if they'd become largely a shell of what they once were.

Offline geoffp

« Reply #1836 on: December 29, 2015, 06:49:23 pm »
I'm an electrical engineer who started his career designing telephone test equipment 25 years ago and somehow moved into software engineering via stints writing signal integrity analysis software and test engineering. I'm now an embedded systems engineer working on Linux based medical video systems, but miss my roots designing hardware, sitting at the lab bench, and playing with amateur radio (callsign KK6HO).  I'm now trying to get back into the hardware side on my own projects in my spare time (which is challenging with newborn twins  :).

Offline jasonames

« Reply #1837 on: December 29, 2015, 11:24:20 pm »
Hello,

Lately I'm building an autopilot for my sailboat, this forum has been a great asset for acquiring knowledge.

Cheers!

Offline NaddaEE

« Reply #1838 on: December 30, 2015, 12:29:34 am »
Howdy from Texas!

I'm an older student working on a BS in electrical engineering.  Like a lot of the students here, I'm trying to bridge the massive gap between theory and practice.  I started watching Dave's vids about a year ago and thought I'd finally hop on the forums.

Offline PINdiode

« Reply #1839 on: December 30, 2015, 06:08:39 pm »
Howdy, Folks
Like others here, I have my roots in hardware, and was pulled slowly away. First started turning scope knobs back in '76. Still enjoy fiddling around when I can push other tasks to a lower priority. Might have more time now that the two kids are in college.

Offline homebody

« Reply #1840 on: December 31, 2015, 01:30:51 am »
Was a tech two or three lifetimes ago.  Have always kept a toe in the water and have been wading deeper the last few years...Geoff

Offline VinzC

• Regular Contributor
  • See you later, oscillator.
« Reply #1841 on: December 31, 2015, 11:22:13 am »
After a couple of posts, at least I should introduce myself... I'm an electronics engineer with no professional experience in the field — at least until last year. My passions include computer systems, hard and soft and I've spent most of my professional life designing computer applications, systems, servers and services, mainly GNU/Linux based but also internal IT support. Only recently have I switched jobs from IT to electronics.

As a hobbyist I've been a passionate reader of electronics magazine Elektor since the eighties. I also have a few personal projects, which I hope to showcase here once done.

Life can be funny at times. I "discovered" Dave's channel wile I was trying my media center, XBMC at that time. I stumbled across its Youtube plugin and the EEVblog was the first channel I watched. Hooked ever since.

FTR I also own a Hitachi V660 analog scope that I could repair and salvage thanks to this post by rbm! My scope is more than 20 years old and still works a treat! Beauty! *

Think I'm going to stick around here a little while...

*Any resemblance with existing quotes from a living person is, of course, intended and not a coincidence.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:50:43 pm by VinzC »

Offline Dollarpee

« Reply #1842 on: December 31, 2015, 05:11:09 pm »
Hi all, I am Akin from Canada. I am an electrical electronics enthusiast with no prior knowledge. I an keenly interested in building circuit boards, interpret designs and being able to design and implement circuit diagrams.
Any guide or assistance will be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline jbix

« Reply #1843 on: January 02, 2016, 02:10:44 am »
Hello to Dave and all,

I've been watching Dave's videos on youtube for the last year or two.  They are quite enjoyable, entertaining and informative.  Good job to you Dave, and hope the full-time YouTube thing remains prosperous.  I've been working on a product project for the last year or two now, off-and-on as time permits.  Maybe I'll start a post about it.  Just wanted to say hi to everybody on the forums and thank you to Dave for the entertainment and motivation to keep going.

Offline jf27

« Reply #1844 on: January 03, 2016, 02:23:15 am »
Well, hello to all and a big thanks to nanofrog for giving me feedback in my earlier questions!

I'm a retired middle school teacher, and an amateur radio operator of many years.  I am getting particularly involved in QRP gear because of its elegance, "relative" simplicity and its focus on "HOW it all works" which is what interests me.  At this point I'd rather build a simple transceiver kit, and hopefully learn/study what each component does and why, rather than just buy it and turn it on---but I've NOT always been that way : )  I've bought plenty of gear that, thankfully, I could/and can "just turn on." 

Which is how I got here:  I've watched a ton of Dave's videos on YouTube and learned a LOT and been so excited about this EEVforum/blog/video resource.  I've also read here and there on this forum of the discount members can have with TEquipment purchases---so I sent out a question about the discount code earlier today.  I'm really excited about purchasing a Rigol DS1102e on Monday and hope to have it available as I start building a kit in the next week or so---but maybe it's going to take time for me to "earn" the discount code and that's ok if I just have to miss out on it regarding this upcoming oscilloscope purchase---because---I've officially joined this forum for the long haul---all the knowledge I've gained, and will gain, and hopefully someday share, is what matters most---any discount on my oscilloscope would simply be a welcome bonus for this retired, "watching my pennies, fixed income" teacher : ) 

And, of course, I'm DEFINITELY buying an oscilloscope that I CAN "just turn on"---but maybe down this very interesting road, I'll someday build my own and have newly gained wisdom to share with "newcomers" such as me : )

Thanks everybody for helping this to be such an incredibly wonderful resource---and thanks, Dave, for doing what ALL good teachers do: you keep it fun and focused and never, ever boring!         Joe

Offline kuromaku

« Reply #1845 on: January 03, 2016, 03:29:29 am »
Greetings,

I bake bread and cookies.  Nice to meet you all.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1846 on: January 03, 2016, 06:36:30 pm »
I bake bread and cookies.  Nice to meet you all.
Me too.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline SteveWS5W

• Supporter
« Reply #1847 on: January 04, 2016, 03:04:07 am »
Hi all
I am Steve
I am a ham radio operator. SDR and DXing are my current interests
I like to work on radios and and build electronics projects.
After not having a good work bench , i have started to equip one.

Offline fragonrod8

« Reply #1848 on: January 05, 2016, 01:50:12 am »
Hi everybody!

I'm so happy to join the EEVBlog forum, woohoo! I'm a 20 years-old Air and Space Engineering student in Southern Spain, but getting myself specialized on Navigation Technologies, so most of my work is all around EE  :-/O I've liked electronics for a long time, and thank to Dave and the EEBlog forum I found a motivating and really valuable source of knowledge.

I can say, EEVBlog taught me about electronics much, muuuuuuuch more than all the teachers in school so far.

F.

Offline Commodore8888

• Contributor
« Reply #1849 on: January 05, 2016, 05:02:15 am »
Hey guys, junior year EE student at U of MD here. I've been into RC and general electronics since I was about 10 years old, and have been further and further pushed down the electronics rabbit hole by my other hobbies and school.

I've always been one to prefer actually building the stuff we talk about in class, and am a firm believer in the fact you morel likely remember something when the threat of magic smoke or a good buzz is present (more so than getting a B vs. an A on a test anyway lol).

I found Dave's channel right around when I started EE school, and it's been great for not only learning practical theory, but also keeping me well clear of bum test gear :) I've been lurking around for a while, but now that I'm getting deeper into the field, I figured it'd be good to start rapping with others.

As for projects, I'm in the middle of two: 1, a test rig for large BLDC motors and speed controls, and 2, a programmable music synchronized LED controller for radio control helicopters. The second one got me WAAAAY deep into the hole on low level uController details, C# and Windows programming, as well as serial protocols. Far more than any of my EE classes so far.
Mike D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf