Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1445898 times)

Offline monkeybro76

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1875 on: January 29, 2016, 05:38:50 am »
Hello,

I am a software engineer. I major in computer science. I worked in Internet and Telecom area. Worked on 3G/LTE R&D.
I happened to see the EEVBLOG video on youtube, and found this site. It's a good place for me to learn the HW and test
/DIY with some ready to use HW package.

Hope to learn and contribute to this forum.

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline kd5iku

« Reply #1876 on: January 29, 2016, 07:26:59 pm »
Hi everyone!

While I am new to this forum, I have been a tinkerer in electronics most of my life and am an IT manager and Chief Network Engineer at a local University. I am an Extra class amateur radio operator and have built, tested and repaired my own and other's radio equipment since shortly after getting my license back in 99. I recently had most of my test equipment and components stolen and began looking for some ideas on what kind of newish equipment I wanted to get. (We moved out of the city to the country following this sad and deplorable incident... Nothing but livestock for a mile in any direction! WOOHOO!!!) Lo and behold, I ran into the EEVBLOG on youtube! Needless to say, I was impressed by the tear downs and wandered over to check out the forum.

I am hoping to learn more about using microcontrollers in my projects as well as increasing my understanding of circuit engineering outside of the analog circuits I am so used to. I will be the first to admit that I am not an EE or in any way, I do not possess any formal training on electronics and am not an expert, but perhaps there is something I can contribute as well.

Thanks!

Chris/KD5IKU

Offline Xplode

• Contributor
« Reply #1877 on: January 30, 2016, 06:31:42 am »
I've definitely subscribed to the "Take it apart and apologize" philosophy since I was a kid.

That's the driving force for me to learn electronics -- if I broke it, either fix it or get my ass "fixed" by my parents.

Haha.  Yeah.  I started pretty young so I guess they got used to it.  Now I try to help fix things if I can, so I guess I'm working off the oops-debt.

Offline jmibk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1878 on: January 30, 2016, 12:29:26 pm »
Hi,

my name is Mike and I'm new to the forum.
I found the EEVblog Videos on youtube and they are great - so I joined the forum too.

I'm a 31 years old electronic engineer from austria and intrested in that electronics stuff. I do some own little electronics projects, much of them with atmel micros and lots of dmx stuff.
Currently i am studying media technics in Amberg, Germany in 5th semester (of 10).

:blah:

Offline time4life

« Reply #1879 on: January 31, 2016, 08:39:17 pm »
Hello there!

I do a lot of reading in this forum, but up to this point I have never joined.  This is a fantastic community that I hope I can contribute to and get helped as well.

I am currently studying to be a biomedical equipment technician at Durham Technical Community College in NC.  The program is basically an electronics-based program with biomedical equipment applications.  The field is of course electronics at its core, but you need to be comfortable with mechanical things as well as IT networking nowadays.  I have an mechanical engineering background, so I am good with this.  I also took a few networking classes and I really like them.

I wanted to be in a field that helped people, so I figured that healthcare was not going anywhere and this field is in high demand due to may existing technician retiring and not being replaced.  Apparently, young people are not interested in the vocational fields anymore.

Anyhow, I want to be better at electronics because it is not as intuitive to me as mechanical things.  I am just starting to build my collection of equipment.  I have a Fluke 189 that I purchased for about $50 at a pawn shop (they did not know what they were selling, fortunately for me).  I also have a Blue ESR meter.  I am looking at getting a scope next.

Work wise, I am working part-time at a veterinary hospital while finishing school.  All the equipment used on humans are used on animals.  I will graduate at the end of the summer this year, and will likely be employed by a hospital repairing and maintaining their biomedical equipment.

Offline dogbox

• Contributor
« Reply #1880 on: January 31, 2016, 09:15:55 pm »
Hi all,
I have been watching Dave's vids for about 5 years, apart from the odd lurk, never had much to do with these forums..I was active in others though. I'm 50 years young and I early-retired and moved to rural Indonesia in 2013, after 30 years in graphic design and IT, and turned into an aged surfing bum.. Watching Dave has helped me from going completely troppo when I couldn't do electronics due to not having my gear. My interests are in audio recording and music side of electronics..old school analogue (guitars, amps, effects, mic preamps). On a recent trip back home to Australia I was able to bring about 60kg of my parts, and tools and I plan in the near future to invest in a desktop cnc machine to assist in prototyping a few ideas I've had while floating around on a surfboard :).
cheers
Steve

Offline hemdale

• Contributor
« Reply #1881 on: January 31, 2016, 10:44:35 pm »
Hello everyone,

I though I would give a brief introduction here.

I'm from Paris (France) and discovered several years ago the EEV YouTube (hilarious) channel.  :-+
I'm not an electrician and I definitely don't have any extensive knowledge of electricity / electronics but I find several aspects quite fascinating.
Working in renovation / construction and I'm slowly learning basics on electricity.

I've been rewiring (mostly changing plugs  :palm: ), soldering (but recently I should have use crimped terminals or ferrules), stripping (just pulled the trigger on a Wiedmuller Stripax) for the past few weeks so I'll probably need some help and will ask some dumb questions for your reading pleasure  :-DD :palm:

I'm no longer doing this  :wtf::

But I'm not sure I would know how to do that  8):

Cheers boys.

Hem
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:49:10 pm by hemdale »

Offline crazyjim30

• Contributor
« Reply #1882 on: January 31, 2016, 11:14:56 pm »
@Vgkid I'm from King William County. That's about 30 miles NE of Richmond.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1883 on: February 01, 2016, 12:29:50 am »

i'm about 60 miles south of Richmond...
Where did you go to school?
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline crazyjim30

• Contributor
« Reply #1884 on: February 01, 2016, 12:33:26 am »

i'm about 60 miles south of Richmond...
Where did you go to school?
ECPI. I graduate (hopefully) in late 2017. I went to high school (back in the dark ages...late 90's) in Newport News.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1885 on: February 01, 2016, 05:49:03 am »
ECPI. I graduate (hopefully) in late 2017. I went to high school (back in the dark ages...late 90's) in Newport News.

Small world, I live in Smithfield VA.I earned my AS from TCC(Portsmouth)/TNCC(Hampton)(very long story), and am going to ODU(Norfolk) for my BSEET in the fall.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline EagleTG

« Reply #1886 on: February 01, 2016, 01:19:50 pm »
Hi all.  New here, have followed Dave's YouTube channel for quite some time but never realized that there was a forum associated with the blog.  Hahah.

I've been an electronics hobbyist most of my life, for the last 20 years or so I've been concentrating on repair of pinball and arcade games, even more recently (3 years or so) focusing on vintage computers.  I've been a Commodore guy as long as I can remember but really got into the hobby when a friend mentioned that I should join the Vintage Computer Federation Mid-Atlantic Chapter based out of Wall Township, NJ.  It's all been downhill from there.  :P

I'm interested in the Arduino and Raspberry Pi boards, used them in a multitude of projects.  I'm now interested in building my skills to be able to design circuits for use with various ideas that I have, including but not limited to the remanufacturing of obsolete boards and components for the arcade, pinball and retro computing hobbies.  A short term goal is to design a board layout for one of these projects and send it off to get a small production run of professional boards.  Right now, I'm starting to learn KiCAD and hope to find useful information here on the board.  :)

I'm looking forward to hanging out here!

Offline Errmy

• Contributor
« Reply #1887 on: February 01, 2016, 01:45:39 pm »
Hi all,

I have been watching the EEVblog for some time now and also decided to visit the forum.
I'm a 29 year old electrical design engineer from Germany. As hobby I mostly work on analog designs and with microcontrollers.

Markus

Offline HighPrecision

• Supporter
« Reply #1888 on: February 02, 2016, 12:20:55 pm »
Hello Techies,

after long time I finally decided to enter in this forum, I'm 56 old, main interest in Test Equipments, I have worked in repair and calibration from over 30 years ago. I worked also on digital circuits, but I'm most an analog and RF guy.

Fortunately, despite my lifelong problems at vision and hearing, the passion for electronics prevails and I want to learn all possible from this matter  :)

Offline Duffrageous

« Reply #1889 on: February 02, 2016, 11:59:16 pm »
My specialty is iPhone repair, but I'm a classic-gaming enthusiast.  I'm currently ranked #1 in Super Mario Kart Battle Mode for SNES and may be ranked #1 or #2 in Super Mario Bros 3 Battle Mode on Super Mario All-Stars.

If anyone has any questions related to SNES gaming or software modding, i can help.  Interested in playing new levels in your favorite NES or SNES games?  I can show you the right place to design your own or play others' creations. 

Also, if you have those annoying iTunes error codes or your iPhone won't turn on, I can help as well. I specialize in buying/selling/repairing of broken iPhones.  Tip:  don't ever change an iPhone 6 or 6S home button; you will lose Touch ID and not be able to OTA update or reset the phone ever.  If you have, then there is a chance Apple will fix it for free or a fee. 

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #1890 on: February 03, 2016, 02:55:51 am »
Hey everybody!  I've been lurking around the forum for quite some time now.  Figured I finally ought to introduce myself.  I'm into hobby electronics, gardening, and brewing delicious beer here in Tallahassee, Florida.  Went to school for horticulture, but the more time I spend tinkering with electronics, the more I feel like I should've studied EE.  Stuck working in restaurants for now though |O  This forum and Dave's youtube channel have been amazing resources for me as well as a huge source of entertainment.  I'm looking forward to learning through more active participation in the forum now.

Offline mdg82

« Reply #1891 on: February 03, 2016, 09:31:38 am »
Hey everyone, my name's Marsh, I'm new so dropping in here to say hello. I'm just after some advice on fruit machine repairs so was going to start a thread about that. Thanks.

Offline marty

• Contributor
« Reply #1892 on: February 04, 2016, 06:19:28 am »
Hi,

Just a noob learning from USA. So my first project is a power supply, currently a month into it just on paper.

learning/using KiCad, LtSpice

gilding the lily on it

Thanks Dave for all the valuable input from your tear down and tutorial series videos.. Extremely helpful in design/layout, chip selection, don't and Do...

I need more Tuesday's and Friday's in a week.

Offline washoegary

« Reply #1893 on: February 04, 2016, 10:00:28 pm »
Hi all, I'm an Electronics Engineer and have been designing industrial instrumentation for 30+ years. Prior to that I was a Senior Electronics Technician working for a premier oscilloscope manufacturer in the late 70's through mid 80's. I have a strong troubleshooting/analysis background in both analog & digital. I built my first tube radio in '68, a TV in '70, and etched a nixie tube counter PCB in '71. (fun times)

I typically don't join public forums because of threads that quickly grow to tens of thousands of words in few days, who has time for that? I have found this forum to have a lot of smart people that genuinely want to help each other. My hope is I might be able to help someone from time to time.

Thanks,
Gary

Offline Electrospark

« Reply #1894 on: February 05, 2016, 05:46:56 am »
I'm a self thought electronic hobbyist and just love to play around with a few breadboards doing all sort of circuits.
I know quite a lot about ee but I still have a long way to go.

Big projects I did was an LA4282 based 25W stereo, 100W LED lamp, car blower atx power supply soldering fume extractor, custom computer case and all that sort of good stuff. :D

Offline richmazz

« Reply #1895 on: February 05, 2016, 07:31:54 pm »
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to tinkering with electronics and circuits. In fact, I am looking forward to starting my first project. I don't know what it is yet, but I am looking forward to it.
Now to find some ideas on the forums.
Thanks
Rich

Offline Qmulus

« Reply #1896 on: February 06, 2016, 07:59:01 pm »
Hello from CO, USA.  I've been in the industrial and automotive electronics industry in pretty much all phases including design, production, repair and product support for the last 30 years starting as a technician, and working up to senior electronics engineer.  I currently own a small electronics business.

Steve

Offline mstoer

• Contributor
« Reply #1897 on: February 06, 2016, 08:20:57 pm »
Hi,  I'm from Victoria, BC, Canada.  I've been reading the forum and watching the blog on youtube for quite some time now.   Electronics is  combination of work and hobby for me.  Lately I've been playing with arduinos and esp8266 based boards and finally decided to make an account here.

Marcell

Offline nwvlab

• Regular Contributor
    • next-hack.com
« Reply #1898 on: February 07, 2016, 10:15:36 am »
Hi there!

I'm Nicola from Italy :)

Cheers!

Offline markhing

« Reply #1899 on: February 07, 2016, 10:01:17 pm »
Hello, I'm a software developer living on Vancouver Island in Canada. Lots of software background, almost no hardware knowledge (but have been binge viewing the EEVBlog videos on YouTube).

I've been trying to get my son interested in programming but he's not too interested in seeing results on the screen. However he did a Lego mindstorms robot class last year and was very interested, so I thought we'd learn about Arduino together and see if that caught his interest. Just signed up to this forum 2 days ago and already I've had quite a few responses that have greatly helped.

Excellent community.

Mark.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf