Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1106547 times)

Svuppe, pgo and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline eman (AKA e-lectric-man)

A question for the experienced among you: How can I tell whether I'm successfully loading the system from USB or from built in FW? I thought that when the system is loaded from the USB, one cannot unplug the USB drive without causing a system reboot. Is this always the case?

My startup is very clean and no different from the internal FW system startup. The only difference I can see is that under File Explorer menu I get a mounted USB as well as the usual "\Agilent Flash" folder, and the default open folder right after startup is the USB folder.

Any ideas?

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
My startup is very clean and no different from the internal FW system startup.

Since you are booting a hacked firmware image, you should be getting a warning after boot from the scope:

"System concerns detected:"  etc etc

So, if you aren't getting the warning in the middle of the screen after booting (prior to then touching any button/knob), then you haven't booted the hacked version from the external USB flash drive.

cheers,
george.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:59:44 pm by georges80 »

I was afraid you might say that.  :(

So I guess when I get the looping effect during startup then the system is actually trying to boot from the USB drive and failing. Since I am using verified bootable tree in my USB stick, then the only possibility left to explain the failure is the type of USB stick I'm using.

I think I'll order a bunch of different ones today!

:) ;) SUCCESS!!!  ;) :)

I Have a fully functional scope booting from USB stick. I get no error messages during the boot, I just have to wait for the looping to start, and after approximately 6 or 7 loops, I get a message saying "booting from USB stick" on  the second splash screen. This message is displayed in small red letters on the top left of the screen. Once the boot completes, I get an additional message in the center of the display. this one says "All options enabled" on the first line and "Press any key to continue" on the second line. The message goes away when I press a key.

The next thing I checked was the "About Oscilloscope" screen. Here I found a surprise. I have been populating the USB stick with the software I got from TopUser a few comments back. I had assumed the stuff to be derived from FW version 2.35. But Here I see the system version being 2.37. That's way cool. I may try to build a stick based on 2.39 later...

I went through some changes to my command line specification in infiniivision.lnk file. I ended up with the following command which enables the largest number of licenses:

86#\usb\infiniiVision\infiniivisionLauncher.exe -l All -l SCPIPS -l CABLE -l TOM -l SGMC

Most of the enabled licenses have a '*' displayed next to them, but there is no expiration date indicated.

So here's what made the stuff work for me: I reformatted one of my USB sticks (on my Apple MacBook Pro) so the single partition present on the stick was modified from "MS-DOS (FAT)" which is FAT32 to "exFAT" which I believe is FAT16. I then loaded the files onto this stick in the order which I described in one of my earlier posts. That did the job. The USB stick I'm using is a very small one made by SanDisk, and it's a 8GB size.

That's way cool!

Thanks to all for the invaluable help.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:38:55 pm by eman (AKA e-lectric-man) »

Offline drlustig

:) ;) SUCCESS!!!  ;) :)

I Have a fully functional scope booting from USB stick. I get no error messages during the boot, I just have to wait for the looping to start, and after approximately 6 or 7 loops, I get a message saying "booting from USB stick" on  the second splash screen. This message is displayed in small red letters on the top left of the screen. Once the boot completes, I get an additional message in the center of the display. this one says "All options enabled" on the first line and "Press any key to continue" on the second line. The message goes away when I press a key.

The next thing I checked was the "About Oscilloscope" screen. Here I found a surprise. I have been populating the USB stick with the software I got from TopUser a few comments back. I had assumed the stuff to be derived from FW version 2.35. But Here I see the system version being 2.37. That's way cool. I may try to build a stick based on 2.39 later...

I went through some changes to my command line specification in infiniivision.lnk file. I ended up with the following command which enables the largest number of licenses:

86#\usb\infiniiVision\infiniivisionLauncher.exe -l All -l SCPIPS -l CABLE -l TOM -l SGMC

Most of the enabled licenses have a '*' displayed next to them, but there is no expiration date indicated.

So here's what made the stuff work for me: I reformatted one of my USB sticks (on my Apple MacBook Pro) so the single partition present on the stick was modified from "MS-DOS (FAT)" which is FAT32 to "exFAT" which I believe is FAT16. I then loaded the files onto this stick in the order which I described in one of my earlier posts. That did the job. The USB stick I'm using is a very small one made by SanDisk, and it's a 8GB size.

That's way cool!

Thanks to all for the invaluable help.

Confirmed. This actually works. Thank you! I formatted my 8GB Samsung USB Stick as exFat in Windows and followed your instructions. My 4GB did not seem to work for booting. Needed to upgrade from an earlier FW to 2.35 (link in a post above) to be able to boot from my USB stick. It even boots up reasonably fast, which is nice.

Offline WattsUp

• Regular Contributor
I managed to successfully show the booting from USB message on my (temporary) DSO X 2000. It then booted and showed all options enabled. Is there a way to save this, so USB is not needed for every boot and the options are permanent?
Thanks.
I'm trying out something new. Perspective Reviews. Comments and suggestions are appreciated over PM.

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
Do these hacks work on the DSOX3000T series?

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
Do these hacks work on the DSOX3000T series?
No

Offline Andlier

• Contributor
So its posible to go back to the V2.35 with the help of telnet access.

Hi!
There is easier way to downgrade.

I have flashed 2.39 a long before I found this site. But now I have 2.35 with just PC and USB-key ;)

All has beed checked today on my MSO-X 2012 (originally it was standard 100MHz + MEMUP update with 2.39 firmware).
1. downgrade to 2.37 (it just works)
2. unpack 2000XSeries.02.37.2014052002.cab (ex with WinRAR)
3. extract file infiniiVisionLauncher.exe from infiniiVisionSetup.cab (2.37) (ex with WinCE CAB Manager)
4. unpack 2000XSeries.02.35.2013061800.cab (ex with WinRAR)
5. open infiniiVisionSetup.cab (from 2.35) file in WinCE CAB Manager, find infiniiVisionLauncher.exe on list and delete it
6. add infiniiVisionLauncher.exe (from 2.37 cab) to file list and set all properties like in old file (flags: uncheck all; location: \Secure\InfiniiVision; Hard-coded path checked)
7. file->save and exit WinCE CAB Manager
8. calc MD5 of edited infiniiVisionSetup.cab and update it in recipe.xml file
9. compress all files (ex with CabPack) from 2.35 firmware with edited infiniiVisionSetup.cab
10. flash new file

After this I reflashed scope once again with untouched 2.35 to update modified file but I don't know if it was necessary.
Also I don't know if there is possibility to downgrade directly from 2.39.

Now I have 2.35 in scope and 2.39 from USB (and I didn't need to use python script).

Starting scope from USB key:
NOT WORKS:
- Kingston DTSE9 (8GB)
- silicon power touch 830 (8GB)
- PQI connect 201 (16GB)
- all my no-name keys... (1GB..16GB)

WORKS:
- LEEF Spark 32GB

And I would like to thank everyone on this forum for files/instructions/descriptions.

I can confirm that this downgrade procedure worked on a msox-3054A from 2.37 to 2.35, used the 2000x 2.37-firmware provided somewhere in this thread, and 3000x 2.35 firmware.
Then went on with cassiopeia's guide to boot modded 2.39 firmware from a 4GB kingston usb-stick, worked first try.  :-+

Offline Mark

• Frequent Contributor
Sorry guys I haven't read the full thread but I wondered if this worked on the MSOX3054A?  Is the MSOX3054A a good buy (refurbished)? 

Does the hack offer all that is included in dsox3appbndl? 

Thanks, I'm still reading and trying to decide if this is as good a deal as it seems. 

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
Sorry guys I haven't read the full thread but I wondered if this worked on the MSOX3054A?  Is the MSOX3054A a good buy (refurbished)? 

Thanks, I'm still reading and trying to decide if this is as good a deal as it seems.

Farnell are doing a very good deal on the MSOX3054 if you go to the trade counter, I think it's £2800+VAT. Even on the website they are 60% off list price or something crazy.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:55:48 pm by TopLoser »

Offline Mark

• Frequent Contributor

Farnell are doing a very good deal on the MSOX3054 if you go to the trade counter, I think it's £2800+VAT. Even on the website they are 60% off list price or something crazy.

It's 3K + vat on the website, any way of getting 2800+ without actually travelling there in person?

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter

It's 3K + vat on the website, any way of getting 2800+ without actually travelling there in person?

No, it's a promotion to increase trade counter footfall. Can't help you out because I'm not around this week and I'm not sure when the promotion ends, could be today. Call trade counter and ask, they're open till 5:30. Tell them Mr B sent you!

EDIT: Ooops it's Saturday today, thought it was Friday...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:17:12 pm by TopLoser »

Offline Swonkie

I'm looking for the 2.35 firmware for a 2000 series scope. I only found 2.35 for a 3000 scope. Can someone please post it, because I have built myself a LAN adapter and need to downgrade my current 2.38 firmware so I can boot from USB. That would be awesome.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:08:00 pm by Swonkie »

Offline stroma

Please, is anyone able to provide me with the 2.35 files for DSOX2000 series?
Thanks!!!!

Solved - 2000 firmware seems to be identical to the 3000 Firmware, thus Toplosers link above is fine.

Swonkie, maybe you didn't read carefully :)

Offline Swonkie

Thank you - indeed I didn't see that.
The operation was successful. My thanks to everybody who contributed valuable information to this thread.

I now have two of these unpopulated boards left (ordered from a PCB pool service, so they have soldermask and are cut to the correct shape already):
https://github.com/aewallin/DSOXLAN
(Thanks aewallin, although I wish you provided all the required files, ready to order. I also had to fix the soldermask layer over the connector.)

The LAN adapter works, but the scope shows a warning message on boot. Although, if you plan to patch the firmware, you will get a firmware related warning anyway and the LAN adapter warning won't show up anymore.

If anyone is interested in getting one of the PCBs and can suggest a way for me to ship it, without having to spend a lot of money or time, pm me.
I could also send the resistors and capacitor required, if that would help, but you have to order the magjack yourself (see link above).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:45:14 pm by Swonkie »

Offline Campus

• Contributor
Hi,

I am one of the happy recipients of Swonkies PCB. Unfortunately it's not working as expected. I used a RJ45 jack which has no LEDs so I left out the 220Ohms resistors and only soldered the 1nF cap and the 10Ohms resistor. The card is recognized by the device and I can configure the LAN settings as required. My router also seems to somewhat detect the scope as it is shown in the list with the configured IP address.  But I cannot ping it and also the web ui does not return anything. Also telnetting into port 80 does not work.
Would be great if someone has an idea what could be wrong. Maybe I need to emulate the LEDs of the jack?

Thanks,
Campus

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
If LAN settings is available it looks like on scope side it is OK. Did you tried Wireshark to detect the traffic on LAN? It is too long, since I made testing of masked pins on LAN module.

Offline Campus

• Contributor
Hmm, nmap returns no open port and the Message Analyzer shows that the scope never answers any packet. I've seen lots of SYN requests for a new http connection but no reply. Looks like the scope cannot send any packets.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
LEDs aren't needed to make the card work - they are just pretty flashing lights...

Are you sure the PCB is seated well into the edge connector in the scope - it's pretty fine pitch. Contacts on the PCB clean and shiny?

My DIY lan card works just fine on my msox2024a with the latest firmware, so your card should work ok if it's all soldered well and making good contact on the main board.

cheers,
george.

Offline Campus

• Contributor
LEDs aren't needed to make the card work - they are just pretty flashing lights...

I was also assuming that and because of that I did not solder the 220 Ohm resistors.

Are you sure the PCB is seated well into the edge connector in the scope - it's pretty fine pitch. Contacts on the PCB clean and shiny?

PCB is clean and looks nice and and seems to fit quite exact into the connector. I also tried several times pulling and adding the board again but no change in result.

My DIY lan card works just fine on my msox2024a with the latest firmware, so your card should work ok if it's all soldered well and making good contact on the main board.

Do you know which pins of the RJ45 are used for sending or receiving? Maybe I could beep them back to the contacts of the pcb.

One other thing I noticed is that https://github.com/aewallin/DSOXLAN lists a 100nF instead of the 1nF shown in the pcb layout. Is that an error or does it not matter that much?

Thanks,
Campus
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:21:47 pm by Campus »

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
The resistors are only for the LEDs.

My schematic is attached.

cheers,
george.

Offline Sbampato12

• Regular Contributor
Check if the pcb is installed 'all the way to the end', I've had no response with one scope, that 'missed the last 1mm'.

A little more force, and it worked like a charm....
(please do not make any force that could damage the scope pcb or connector...)

Offline Campus

• Contributor
Hi,

so far no luck here. I checked the connectors on the pcb under a microscope and can see little traces from the connecting pins so the physical layout seems to be ok. Then I replaced the 1nF cap with a 100nF cap as shown in Georges pdf. Then I added some leds and the missing resistors to complete the board. The leds light up but no change in behavior. The card is visible in the network which means arp displays the correct scope MAC address for the configured ip address. But I cannot receive any ip or ping packet back from the scope. I also tried different cables and machines in the network.
In my case both LEDs are always on and never blink or turned off. Is that normal behavior?

Thanks a lot to all of you helping me out with this issue,
Campus

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
Both LEDs off with cable unplugged. One LED lit when cable plugs in then the other LED flashes with various network traffic (just any traffic). My scope has a static IP. Various other devices on my network are also static IP. PC's/laptops/tablets/phones etc are all dynamic IP.

Here's the configuration of my scope in case it helps at all (below).

Anyhow, One LED should be flashing with traffic, not both solid permanently, so you have something not quite right in the hardware (imo).

cheers,
george.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf