Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3805733 times)

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #2900 on: January 09, 2014, 06:48:25 pm »
...fancy to pop up a message to remind the user to ...
I suspect the long button to power down may be a hardware, or very low-level software thing, just like on a PC. It would be good to have a way to tell if it had gone to sleep or power-off, but I suspect this would need to be done at a lower level than we're playing at.

Well, assuming it's windows I'd guess there's a powermanagement-API that we could try to hook, add an extra daemon to the startup-bat to wait and intercept the API call, then display a message and shut down after a timeout... but I'd be the first one wanting to remove that annoyance :)

Again a low-tech variant is probably more efficient: place a nice, visible sticker inside the storage-case next to the Ex's resting space.
Label it "Attention: remove battery / deep-sleep active?" - and the beauty is: one can even customize the look :)

(got a good laugh out of that one!)... Yes, think that would be aLOT easier!!!
AND just as effective, if not MORE!  Plus the warning is "always on"   :-DD

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2901 on: January 09, 2014, 07:07:41 pm »
1) can the section  <ui_model type="EmissivityMaterialSettingsModel" name="emissivityMaterialModel">
    <ui_model_item type="SettingItem" label="ID_EMISS_CONCRETE" value="0.95"/>
... be resorted alphabetically buy moving the lines around?

2)can I change the power options timers from
  <ui_model type="AutoPowerOffSettingsModel" name="autoPowerOffSettingsModel">
    <ui_model_item type="SettingItem" ID="POWER_OFF" label="ID_SETUP_OFF" radio="true"/>
to other times, such as 15 min and 60 min by replacing the values/

3) Is the backlight brightness for low/medium/high predefined in hardware?  I would like to change the low and medium levels if possible.

4) One more... where is the Flir logo "color" setting?  I wouldn't mind trying a very faint image being displayed.

@ 1): just resort them and see what happens - I think they were sorted by alphabet before I messed with them - anyway "never" used ;) I'll give it a try... just didn't know if, when an item is selected, this is where the preset emissivity comes from or if it was linked to another location in another file.. I just might use a few of them and comment out the ones that I probably will not use, but leave them in for future us.

@ 2+3): I find the default values are just fine, but take a look at .power.setting (below) values below (telnet, command rls). You can replace the default settings by a new "model" that changes the wanted value directly - anything with ID_ is a pre-defined placeholder (defined in the language-files) and usually pre-associated with some value(in facet_ui_qml.dll), but the registry most times allows for entry of numeric values - best idea: first test by using rls/rset over telnet.

Define a SettingsValueModel, change the ID to something unique, label it, set min, max and step (better don't allow 0 as it would turn off the backlight), define resource="..power.settings.trueBacklight"
... then add that model-name to a menu entry where you like it - don't add it inside a RADIO list - you can take my humidity settings as example.

Strings:
AUTO_POWER_OFF:     ID_SETUP_OFF    ID_SETUP_5_MIN    ID_SETUP_20_MIN
DISPLAY_INTENSITY:   ID_SETUP_LOW    ID_SETUP_MEDIUM    ID_SETUP_HIGH

Low, Medium, High here are direct values inside the registry, which on change sets the true value (see below) - the situation is different with the auto-power-off settings.

.power.settings: (12)
 acOffTime                   1140 <- would be 19 minutes + 55 sec + 5 sec = 20 minutes
 acSysIdleTime                 55
 acUserIdleTime                 5
 battOffTime                 1140 <-- same here
 battSysIdleTime               55
 battUserIdleTime               5
 dumpActive                  true <-- write statistics, probably better get turned off in some .rsc.. but might have side-effects
 laserAllowed                true <-- useless :)
 laserEnable                false <-- useless :)
 screenSaverEnable          false <-- useless :)
 subjectiveBkl           "medium"  <-- allowed: ["low" "medium" "high"] .. sets the "trueBacklight" value
 trueBacklight                 40   <= 40% PWM, this is the value you'd want to fine-tune for better backlight control
I'm no stranger to Windows' registry and changed values/entries.  So are the .rcc files the actual registry?  (note to self.... DON"T mess with the E4's registry... not enough experience YET!).  I'll give your suggestions a try!  I have already messed around (using rset) with the mbox values for the hot/cold/center spot and made them permanent... still has a very small bug but I can live with it.

@4) this has been discussed with another user already -  it's a ressource file manipulation (RCC) - I prefer not having the logo on, as it's no longer a "pure" FLIR ... not to forget that the logo takes away visible image pixels which were hard-earned ;)  Well yes you are correct... why mess up a wonderful mod?!?!   :-+
Thanks for your help!  I am trying to learn this thing and what the different variables mean and do so I can maybe contribute a little.  I just need to become more comfortable changing things and since using rset, screwing up a little and using restartapp to restore things, my comfort level has come up alot!  Still though... I need to be careful, and I thank you, and everyone else, for your help!

Offline Scutarius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2902 on: January 09, 2014, 07:16:57 pm »
I just rewrote Tomas123 flir.php for batch processing and without need of PHP. Its standalone EXE app. Only for Windows users.

Any one interested in testing and giving feedback before I will release public version ? I the other words, looking for tester :)
It is very first version I quickly put together today.

Please free to post a link so we can test it, we are a lot of people here to give you feedback.

This is getting beyond a simple hack, a lot of people are contributing I wonder what I can contribute maybe an adapter for my new Manfrotto 237HD...

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2903 on: January 09, 2014, 07:32:54 pm »
Please free to post a link so we can test it, we are a lot of people here to give you feedback.

I will, but first I would like to fix the very first bugs, then I will release public version. I believe this will be within week.
I do not want to get newbies disappointed by some stupid error. For example we found user must have VCOMP100.DLL installed.
So I will prepare also some troubleshooting manual with links to microsoft download.
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Mavro

• Contributor
« Reply #2904 on: January 09, 2014, 08:03:12 pm »
Uncooled detector -- works at room temp
100m Range
4hr battery life
Pixel Size is smaller (like CMOS)
Lepton™ Camera Core - dimensionally same size CMOS camera @ 8.5mmx8.5mmx5.5mm
Sensor is 80x60 but uses tricks to make it "higher resolution"

All the technical details here (interview with President of Flir):
http://revision3.com/tekzillabites/flir-one-ces-2014

Offline vasp

« Reply #2905 on: January 09, 2014, 08:32:03 pm »
Hi newbie here
I just got my Flir E4 unpacked it and was a little afraid :( it looks like there is a smudge on the inner screen. see attached photo.
is it something that i should be worried about and get it replaced on warranty? :-\
Any thoughts?

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2906 on: January 09, 2014, 08:49:32 pm »
Uncooled detector -- works at room temp
100m Range
4hr battery life
Pixel Size is smaller (like CMOS)
Lepton™ Camera Core - dimensionally same size CMOS camera @ 8.5mmx8.5mmx5.5mm
Sensor is 80x60 but uses tricks to make it "higher resolution"

All the technical details here (interview with President of Flir):
http://revision3.com/tekzillabites/flir-one-ces-2014
Can we please keep all the Flir ONE/:Lepton stuff to It's own thread
(Mods - can you please move the posts from here to the Flir One thread)
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2907 on: January 09, 2014, 09:20:07 pm »
@Vasp

New E4? Appears used to my eyes. Mine had none of the dirt/dust around the screen that yours displays and there should not be smudges on the inner screen. Such could occur if someone has been careless whilst dismantling the E4. It does not have security seals so may be easily dismantled by a buyer and then returned as unwanted. My unit was spotless.  I personally would ask for a replacement unit...NOT A REPAIR.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline vasp

« Reply #2908 on: January 09, 2014, 09:37:32 pm »
Thanks Aurora.
I was afraid of it, I will contact the seller and try to send it back.
Typically, I bought it online from Germany and i live in Sweden |O
I was so looking forward to modify it :(

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #2909 on: January 09, 2014, 09:52:39 pm »
I'm no stranger to Windows' registry and changed values/entries.  So are the .rcc files the actual registry?  (note to self.... DON"T mess with the E4's registry... not enough experience YET!).  I'll give your suggestions a try!  I have already messed around (using rset) with the mbox values for the hot/cold/center spot and made them permanent... still has a very small bug but I can live with it.

.RCC file is a ressource file in binary, compressed format (like a very special ZIP) - not to be confused with .rsc files, which are initial values (like some .INI file) :)
I wrote and published a .RCC unpacker (see footer for link) as the QT kit does not come with a binary for this task - usually a .rcc is just loaded by a QT program and then accessed over specialized API. The unpacker was written on Ubuntu Linux as I had QT available there. As written some days ago the unpacked contents are also online. The re-package program is available too, the commands to run it would even be easily ported to windows.

If one wants to mess with the icons or QML files, then RCC (un)packing is not bypassable :)

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2910 on: January 09, 2014, 11:07:24 pm »
Thanks Aurora.
I was afraid of it, I will contact the seller and try to send it back.
Typically, I bought it online from Germany and i live in Sweden |O
I was so looking forward to modify it :(
Check to see if there are any images stored on it.
I think you can also read out the number of shutter closures in service mode.

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2911 on: January 10, 2014, 12:33:27 am »

.RCC file is a ressource file in binary, compressed format (like a very special ZIP) - not to be confused with .rsc files, which are initial values (like some .INI file) :)
I wrote and published a .RCC unpacker (see footer for link) as the QT kit does not come with a binary for this task - usually a .rcc is just loaded by a QT program and then accessed over specialized API. The unpacker was written on Ubuntu Linux as I had QT available there. As written some days ago the unpacked contents are also online. The re-package program is available too, the commands to run it would even be easily ported to windows.

If one wants to mess with the icons or QML files, then RCC (un)packing is not bypassable :)
Thanks for the info!  I did see your un/packer in a thread and did download them, but I haven't tried them YET....

Offline Bonocr

• Contributor
« Reply #2912 on: January 10, 2014, 09:16:35 am »
I have repack the ADDMENU_Beta3 with the FLIR logo visible (thanks to Taucher for the instructions).
The file is not yet tested (I can try on my E4 tomorrow)
If someone try it let me know.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:12:19 am by Bonocr »

Offline psycho0815

• Regular Contributor
    • H-REG Blog
« Reply #2913 on: January 10, 2014, 04:57:32 pm »
Just got my E4 today. Already hacked it, didn't have courage todo the Menuhack yet, but will propably do that eventually.
BTW Firmware was still 1.19.8. Not sure about the caldate, where can i find that?

EDIT: Never mind. Turns out there's a cal certificate buried in all the paper stuff.
Cal-date is December 4, 2013
Cal-Site is Estonia
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:00:32 pm by psycho0815 »
If you like, check out my blog (german):
http://h-reg.blogspot.de

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2914 on: January 10, 2014, 05:20:23 pm »
Just got my E4 today. Already hacked it, didn't have courage todo the Menuhack yet, but will propably do that eventually.
BTW Firmware was still 1.19.8. Not sure about the caldate, where can i find that?

EDIT: Never mind. Turns out there's a cal certificate buried in all the paper stuff.
Cal-date is December 4, 2013
Cal-Site is Estonia
I think there is also a file in the root of the normal USB user file folder which includes the cal date.
probably also available in service mode

Offline nazar404

• Contributor
« Reply #2915 on: January 10, 2014, 07:07:18 pm »
Hello Guys,
Just followed the instructions to update my FLIR E4 and it worked great thanks to all..  But I have a question!!

how do you switch to the USB RNDIS Mode?

Thanks In advance to all

Offline nazar404

• Contributor
« Reply #2916 on: January 10, 2014, 07:10:55 pm »
I think I answered my own Question, My Menu is not showing USB mode... 

firmware 1.19.8

would test be the problem ?

Offline psycho0815

• Regular Contributor
    • H-REG Blog
« Reply #2917 on: January 10, 2014, 07:28:17 pm »
You can switch USB to RNDIS via the secret Menu.
Goto Options->Device Options->Information and hold down the right Button for 10 seconds. From there you should be able to change USB Mode. At least it works on my cam and that's the same firmware version.

Offline nazar404

• Contributor
« Reply #2918 on: January 10, 2014, 07:29:30 pm »
Thank you...  great!!

Offline nazar404

• Contributor
« Reply #2919 on: January 10, 2014, 07:39:24 pm »
I don't have device options !! I have Device Settings!!

please if you can explain better !

thank you

Offline nazar404

• Contributor
« Reply #2920 on: January 10, 2014, 07:44:48 pm »
Please Disregard!!!  I got it to switch Modes

Offline psycho0815

• Regular Contributor
    • H-REG Blog
« Reply #2921 on: January 10, 2014, 08:06:22 pm »
I was translating the menu items on-the-fly from german. should've changed the language setting. Sorry 'bout that

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2922 on: January 10, 2014, 08:10:07 pm »
Today something strange happened to me. I leaved camera switched off (I mean in standby) for couple of days. By time it turned itself to hard off. When I powered on it today, it started booting and then i got message about appcore critical error. After battery remove and restart everything is just fine.
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2923 on: January 10, 2014, 08:47:17 pm »
That'll be the WinCE !.....they should have used Linux  ;D
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2924 on: January 10, 2014, 11:28:30 pm »
I have repack the ADDMENU_Beta3 with the FLIR logo visible (thanks to Taucher for the instructions).
The file is not yet tested (I can try on my E4 tomorrow)
If someone try it let me know.

Awesome.  Works like a charm!  Thanks, Bonocr!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf