Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3806043 times)

Offline Arlo1

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #3925 on: February 25, 2014, 02:45:17 pm »
I knew the folders should be in order.  When I read "copy over the folder" in the instructions I thought it would overwrite.  I have been watching this thread for about 6 months I tried to read the whole thing  but its the longest thread I've ever seen.

Ok so does anyone have the flashFS and flashBFS files?  Saved so I can look at theirs?   I might not have saved mine correctly.

Offline Arlo1

• Contributor
« Reply #3926 on: February 25, 2014, 02:51:13 pm »

Regarding the update - arlo1 - you seem to have absolutely no clue about computers nor interest in reading this thread ... if you would have read anything, then you'd know where to find flirnetinstall (that tool is used for the firmware FIF files).
I was using the flirnetinstall tool and I read over 100 pages.  Sure I did not read the whole thread but I read about 100 pages of it.
I used the FlirNetInstall.exe tool for the first hack.   
Im sorry I look like a retard but I would rather look dumb and fix my camera then keep my pride and waste $1167
Im just about there I just need to get the FlashFS and FlashBSF files strait.

Offline RAWebb

• Contributor
« Reply #3927 on: February 25, 2014, 02:58:45 pm »
Speaking of backups ...

I stumbled across the E4 info by purest luck and managed to get one of the last 1.19.8 units from TEquipment.net. Resolution mod is working great and I think that I managed to make enough of a backup of the file system using RNDIS and FileZilla. Lots of errors reported during the copy, however; presumably, these were FS locked files, so no problem?

Anyway, by the time I opened the box, the FLIR site only had the 1.21.0 "update pack" on their site. The good lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I'll never need to reflash the unit with 1.19.8 but...    Is there any archive out there that has the 1.19.8 firmware for a just-in-case backup?

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3928 on: February 25, 2014, 03:06:44 pm »
Is there any archive out there that has the 1.19.8 firmware for a just-in-case backup?

Nope. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.eevblog.com%2Fforum%2Ftestgear%2Fflir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown+1.19.8+download

Does anyone with an earlier firmware version want to ask FLIR for 1.19.8 ? ....it might help the Ex series community to have it available in case of emergency or if it contains useful bug fixes. To date I don't think any differences between the various firmwares have been traced to bug fixes. Probably just tidying up the code a little ?

I tried that, their response was:
The difference between 1.18.7 and 1.19.8 is production related and therefor not added for manual download.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:12:38 pm by OrBy »

Offline Arlo1

• Contributor
« Reply #3929 on: February 25, 2014, 03:16:10 pm »
Ok I got it all running again and Im back to the first hack. 
I'm sorry for looking stupid.  I was a bit grogy from neo-citren (cold medicine) but that's no excuse.

All I have left is the beta 3 advanced features to add.

Thanks to all on the forum who helped me...  Even when you made fun of me you pointed out obvious shit I overlooked and I knew better.
I have worked with stuff like this in the past and got it figured out.  programing DIY car ECUs and pickit3 stuff etc.   But I'm more of a newb then I thought.   Hope I can pay it forward someday. :)
Thanks again.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3930 on: February 25, 2014, 03:18:03 pm »
@RAWEB,

FLIR never releasd 1.19.8 in a downloadable format. They DID release 1.18.7 though.

Since 1.21.0 was released they have removed 1.18.7 from their site, but many of us have already archived a copy in case of need.

FLIR have not detailed the differences between 1.18.7 and 1.19.8 except to say they were production changes that are invisible to the user. What this actually means is anyones guess as hardware V1.0 was used for 1.18.7 and 1.19.8.

At least one person bricked their E4 and resurrected it from the dead using the 1.18.7 download. If you ever need it, I feel sure it can be made available to you. I do not expect FLIR to EVER release firmware 1.19.8 for download and they will push users to use 1.21.0.....I wonder why  ;) They declined to supply me with 1.19.8 and instead wanted me to return my E4 to them for a special free 'Upgrade'. I suppose that is one word for software and hardware hobbling !

Aurora 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:22:40 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3931 on: February 25, 2014, 05:46:10 pm »
A report of a retailer stating he will not accept returns due to firmware version and apparently making false statements regarding FLIR TOOLs compatability with older firmware.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-with-pc-software/msg394848/#msg394848

Retailers may start to get a little tough on people asking for old firmware versions. Confirm the returns situation before buying.

One retail company in the UK (ARGOS) has a very tough returns policy on digital cameras....they will not refund, only exchange for an identical model or repair if unavailable. This was apparently to stop people buying the cameras, using them for weddings etc and returning them for a refund. ARGOS was making a huge loss as they cannot sell the 'used' cameras as new, and so disposeof them at a loss. We could start seeing similar with E4 sales as the value of the item is high and retailers are aware that people want the older firmware. Do not try the 'its faulty' returns excuse as the retailer has the option to return the camera to FLIR for inspection or providing another an identical replacement unit. A refund could prove elusive !

I recommend potential buyers obtain the serial number of a unit and check my 'E4 Useful inofrmation thread' S/N Vs FW version list, then ask the retailer whether the stock has been returned to FLIR at any time. That is about as much as you can do without opening the box. The remianing older stock is likely to be in small retailers where you will likley pay full retail, or even skightly more, but you get a camera that may be upgraded. I have seen 1.19.8 E4's advertised on e*ay at standard retail price so that may also be an option. Do check out the seller though as these will be favourtes for scammers.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:52:35 pm by Aurora »

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3932 on: February 25, 2014, 08:25:33 pm »
Another before/after comparison:

Fabio Eboli.

Offline tmiller

• Contributor
« Reply #3933 on: February 25, 2014, 08:54:39 pm »
For the serial database:

E4 v1.1
6391 16xx
Cal 7 Jan. Estonia
FW 1.19.8

Got it from Zoro for < $850

Mod completed successfully for resolution only.

Many thanks to all the really smart folks on this list. You are amazing!

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3934 on: February 25, 2014, 11:01:47 pm »
A report of a retailer stating he will not accept returns due to firmware version and apparently making false statements regarding FLIR TOOLs compatability with older firmware.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-with-pc-software/msg394848/#msg394848

Retailers may start to get a little tough on people asking for old firmware versions. Confirm the returns situation before buying.

One retail company in the UK (ARGOS) has a very tough returns policy on digital cameras....they will not refund, only exchange for an identical model or repair if unavailable. This was apparently to stop people buying the cameras, using them for weddings etc and returning them for a refund. ARGOS was making a huge loss as they cannot sell the 'used' cameras as new, and so disposeof them at a loss. We could start seeing similar with E4 sales as the value of the item is high and retailers are aware that people want the older firmware. Do not try the 'its faulty' returns excuse as the retailer has the option to return the camera to FLIR for inspection or providing another an identical replacement unit. A refund could prove elusive !

I recommend potential buyers obtain the serial number of a unit and check my 'E4 Useful inofrmation thread' S/N Vs FW version list, then ask the retailer whether the stock has been returned to FLIR at any time. That is about as much as you can do without opening the box. The remianing older stock is likely to be in small retailers where you will likley pay full retail, or even skightly more, but you get a camera that may be upgraded. I have seen 1.19.8 E4's advertised on e*ay at standard retail price so that may also be an option. Do check out the seller though as these will be favourtes for scammers.

The newer version of the E4 retail packaging means you can open and check the camera firmware without breaking any seals.
Check the laws carefully but I'm fairly sure that in the UK the Distance Selling Regulations mean you can send back an item within 7 days.

The argos example given may indicate an exception so do check carefully.

Offline tmiller

• Contributor
« Reply #3935 on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:25 pm »

The newer version of the E4 retail packaging means you can open and check the camera firmware without breaking any seals.
Check the laws carefully but I'm fairly sure that in the UK the Distance Selling Regulations mean you can send back an item within 7 days.

The argos example given may indicate an exception so do check carefully.

Maybe the new packaging would be a clue not to get the new software?

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3936 on: February 25, 2014, 11:19:51 pm »
I helped someone set up theirs that was bought at the start of Feb, it was in a different packaging than my own that I bought in December. Both had old firmware.
The old one is a standard cardboard box with a seal, the new one is a sleeve that fits over the case.
The carry case is the same  rugged type.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3937 on: February 25, 2014, 11:39:24 pm »
Ref distance selling regs....not sure how Argos get around this but take a look at this web page. At the bottom there is additional information. In that section it specifically excludes the camera from the money back guarantee. When I bought a camera from them it was even on the check-out and receipt.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1023828.htm

Text reproduced here:

-----------------------------------------
Additional Information

Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights.
-----------------------------------------

It may not be enforcable though as I note the comment on statutory rights.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:33:15 am by Aurora »

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #3938 on: February 26, 2014, 12:12:10 am »
Distance Selling Regs are now part of 'statutory rights', meaning that anything can be returned if bought online, for any reason, within 7 days of purchase. Suppliers cannot wriggle out of it, although they may try. Does NOT apply to business customers though.

Yes, yadda yadda, it's more complicated than like, like everything else involving business in the UK. http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft913.pdf
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Offline martinv

• Contributor
    • mvforum
« Reply #3939 on: February 26, 2014, 12:20:46 am »
I see someone appears to have sold about 7 of these upgraded units on Ebay.  Selling about 1 a day for the past 3 days too.  Total profit looks to be up to $6300.00 USD!  Some were "Best offer accepted" so can't determine exact numbers.

I bet some dealers would be tempted to mod these and sell out the Ebay back door.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #3940 on: February 26, 2014, 12:52:14 am »
I see someone appears to have sold about 7 of these upgraded units on Ebay.  Selling about 1 a day for the past 3 days too.  Total profit looks to be up to $6300.00 USD!  Some were "Best offer accepted" so can't determine exact numbers.

I bet some dealers would be tempted to mod these and sell out the Ebay back door.
Idiots like these ruined our fun.  :palm:
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3941 on: February 26, 2014, 01:01:02 am »
Contrary to what many of us expected, I've also seen professional users claiming to hack their E4's. That may be what prompted FLIR to patch the hack.

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #3942 on: February 26, 2014, 01:01:05 am »

To fair it was:
a) Inevitable
b) Equally inevitable that FLIR would plug the hole, ebay or not.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #3943 on: February 26, 2014, 01:06:11 am »
ARGOS was making a huge loss as they cannot sell the 'used' cameras as new

tough titties, poor "UK's largest high street retailer online", where is my UK's smallest violin when I need one

Do not try the 'its faulty' returns excuse as the retailer has the option to return the camera to FLIR for inspection or providing another an identical replacement unit. A refund could prove elusive !

why would anyone want to lie when returning camera?

I recommend potential buyers obtain the serial number

Why bother? Just buy it, check firmware and if its the new one SHIP IT BACK with a note saying 'thanks but no thanks'

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/returning-unwanted-goods/index_en.htm
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline RAWebb

• Contributor
« Reply #3944 on: February 26, 2014, 01:07:14 am »
@RAWEB,

FLIR never releasd 1.19.8 in a downloadable format. They DID release 1.18.7 though.

Since 1.21.0 was released they have removed 1.18.7 from their site, but many of us have already archived a copy in case of need.

FLIR have not detailed the differences between 1.18.7 and 1.19.8 except to say they were production changes that are invisible to the user. What this actually means is anyones guess as hardware V1.0 was used for 1.18.7 and 1.19.8.

At least one person bricked their E4 and resurrected it from the dead using the 1.18.7 download. If you ever need it, I feel sure it can be made available to you. I do not expect FLIR to EVER release firmware 1.19.8 for download and they will push users to use 1.21.0.....I wonder why  ;) They declined to supply me with 1.19.8 and instead wanted me to return my E4 to them for a special free 'Upgrade'. I suppose that is one word for software and hardware hobbling !

Aurora

Roger that, Aurora. Thanks!  :-+  If I ever do turn it into a rather ineffective plastic hammer, I'll holler.

I do suffer from compulsive pack-rat-itis and hate not having an archive of everything, though. I'm pretty sure I've still got a set of Digital Group DiskMon O/S 8" floppies around somewhere...  I guess I'll have to resist the temptation to fiddle with it too much.

Offline martinv

• Contributor
    • mvforum
« Reply #3945 on: February 26, 2014, 01:09:59 am »

Seems like the creators of the 'upgrade' should at least get a commission :)

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #3946 on: February 26, 2014, 01:58:10 am »

Seems like the creators of the 'upgrade' should at least get a commission :)
>:D
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

jlr134

« Reply #3947 on: February 26, 2014, 02:19:18 am »
Another before/after comparison:
Wow.... how you do that ?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:41:46 am by jlr134 »

Offline Jaimslaw

• Contributor
« Reply #3948 on: February 26, 2014, 04:18:20 am »
I'm new here, can someone explain each step of the upgrade?

. . . Just kidding.

No but really, I do have a question. Has anyone ever tried using their backup to return the camera back to stock E4 settings?  I have read every post about backups and i don't see anyone having actually done this.   If you have, maybe you can weigh in on the experience.

Hope this is not just a theoretically possibility.  An earlier post about a lot of file transfer errors occurring during an FTP backup process got me thinking about it. 

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3949 on: February 26, 2014, 04:53:58 am »
- I have made a backup.
- I have verified that removing the E8.cfg file restores it to pre-hack state.
- Removing the E8.cfg file is equivalent with "restore previous file state" in my case. Does not apply when also doing menu hack. Feel free to now have the diabolical urge to have to ask about "but what if that thing with menu hack as well?". (*)
- The recent posts about ftp errors translate to PEBCAK.

Does that answer the question?

(*) You predictable monkey you! ;) ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf