Author Topic: US: AUCTION: Fab Gear - Keysight, Anritsu, Rohde & Schwarz, Tektronix HUGE!  (Read 18829 times)

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
Re: US: AUCTION: Fab Gear - Keysight, Anritsu, Rohde & Schwarz, Tektronix HUGE!
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2017, 03:59:42 pm »
hassle free but idiotically expensive.  I could get most if not every item I bought from ebay with the GSP, through our customs with significantly smaller fees. And then there's the problem that most US sellers hate Europe and will not send anything in here...

For Belgium I am under the impression that it is about the same total price, but a lot less hassle... I also find that selles that work with the GSP have no issue to send to Europe, it is indeed more difficult for those not using the GSP. All in all, I like the GSP

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2017, 05:02:49 pm »
Well, I live near the customs office and know quite good about how the paperwork shall be done, so it is usually just about a 10-15 minutes visit in the office, VAT is payed if necessary and done. I will always pay more using the GSP, than I could get it through myself.

However as you said, shipping abroad from US is a problem for the sellers. But not always, have worked with some great people from the US, and very bad sellers from EU, especially Italy.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2017, 05:25:20 pm »
This is the first auction I've seen handling fees, as if 18% isn't enough.  I hope that's not a trend.

Likewise. Other industry auctions I've bought from only had the buyer's premium, although some were as high as 25%. So, for high-priced items, a lower premium and fixed handling charge works out better.

First-world problems. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline CoalCreekPlastics

• Supporter
  • !
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2017, 11:15:17 pm »
WTF they don't include the buyers premium and handling fees in your bid amounts....

That's normal practice, at least for US auctions.  The whole point is to get you to bid up.  In addition to those charges, the auctioneers also get another 15-25% of the bid amount as their commission.

This is the first auction I've seen handling fees, as if 18% isn't enough.  I hope that's not a trend.

This is why I think the conventional auctioneers are about on par with carnies as far as business practices.  eBay is so successful because it does away with all of this nonsense and charges a fee.  When they get shady (charging final value fees on shipping?!?) they lose customers.  The jury is still out on my experience with this auctioneer.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2017, 07:12:14 am »
This is why I think the conventional auctioneers are about on par with carnies as far as business practices.  eBay is so successful because it does away with all of this nonsense and charges a fee.  When they get shady (charging final value fees on shipping?!?) they lose customers.  The jury is still out on my experience with this auctioneer.

eBay started adding final value fees to the item+postage when too many sellers charged 0.99 £/$/€ for the item and 200 £/$/€ for "postage" in order to scam eBay on fees.

As to handling fees, buyer's premium etc. being added to the hammer price in these auctions - well, that's just how a physical auction usually works. As with everything in life you have to understand all the costs before you enter a deal.

What I don't understand fully is why the prices are always way over what you'd think the items are worth - I suspect it is because these auctions are more likely to attract commercial bidders.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2017, 08:09:39 pm »
My highest auction bids for 3 identical items were all the same value X. My proxy bid limits on those 3 items were 1.23X, 1.43X, and 1.54X. I'll see which, if any, of those bids are accepted. If they accept any I suppose I hope they accept all 3 to lower the average cost, but then I'll be wondering if they would have also accepted only X for all 3.

To follow up on this I just received the invoice for this auction. All 3 of my bids were accepted based on my proxy bid limits, which were above what the items were bid up to during the auction. I might have taken a sightly different strategy if I knew exactly how that was going to work before I bid.

The 18% premium is calculated on the total of the item bids before the handling fees are added. Then the CA state sales tax rate of 9.25% is calculated on the total of the ((accepted item bid total + premium) + handling fees). In my case the invoice total is 1.32x my accepted bid total, and 1.85x the total of what my bids reached during the auction.

Then on top of that I need to deal with transportation of the items as I am not local. Given the size of the items I imagine the 3rd party shipper quotes might be a few hundred $, and based on past experience there would be a good chance of the 3rd party shipper doing an inadequate packing job resulting in damage during shipping. With the cost of gas likely being less than the cost of shipping (but still not cheap) I will most likely take a road trip to pick up the items in person.

Assuming the items are all fully functional then it's not a super bargain in the end, but maybe I can sell one of the 3 items for around 2x its total cost to me when everything is taken into account and then it would be an OK deal in the end.

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2017, 09:08:42 pm »
My highest auction bids for 3 identical items were all the same value X. My proxy bid limits on those 3 items were 1.23X, 1.43X, and 1.54X. I'll see which, if any, of those bids are accepted. If they accept any I suppose I hope they accept all 3 to lower the average cost, but then I'll be wondering if they would have also accepted only X for all 3.

To follow up on this I just received the invoice for this auction. All 3 of my bids were accepted based on my proxy bid limits, which were above what the items were bid up to during the auction. I might have taken a sightly different strategy if I knew exactly how that was going to work before I bid.

The 18% premium is calculated on the total of the item bids before the handling fees are added. Then the CA state sales tax rate of 9.25% is calculated on the total of the ((accepted item bid total + premium) + handling fees). In my case the invoice total is 1.32x my accepted bid total, and 1.85x the total of what my bids reached during the auction.

Then on top of that I need to deal with transportation of the items as I am not local. Given the size of the items I imagine the 3rd party shipper quotes might be a few hundred $, and based on past experience there would be a good chance of the 3rd party shipper doing an inadequate packing job resulting in damage during shipping. With the cost of gas likely being less than the cost of shipping (but still not cheap) I will most likely take a road trip to pick up the items in person.

Assuming the items are all fully functional then it's not a super bargain in the end, but maybe I can sell one of the 3 items for around 2x its total cost to me when everything is taken into account and then it would be an OK deal in the end.

That is a very interesting turn of events.  You can see what their reserve dollar amount was by going to your invoice on the equipnet website and clicking the orange link for each item on the invoice.  The dollar amount at the top of the page of that link is (what I believe) to be what their reserve amount was.  It would be interesting to know if they accepted proxy bids at a dollar amount higher than the reserve amount if it turned out that the proxy bid was indeed larger than the reserve amount.

Also, on my end, I can confirm that they accepted my proxy bid at the proxy bid amount, however I made that that proxy bid at the opening bid amount.  So, I can confirm that they accepted a much lower bid than the reserve amount (reserve appears to be $75 and I proxy bid at $10).

For me this turned out to be quite a bargain.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:46:36 pm by SMB784 »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2017, 10:07:57 pm »
Also, on my end, I can confirm that they accepted my proxy bid at the proxy bid amount, however I made that that proxy bid at the opening bid amount.  So, I can confirm that they accepted a much lower bid than the reserve amount (reserve appears to be $75 and I proxy bid at $10).

That's good since the orange status indicator means that the current bid is below the reserve, but the seller has the discretion to accept or reject the bid. However, I'm undecided how I feel about them taking a higher price from a proxy bid amount if the highest bid is below that. It kind of makes sense, but is kind of weird, too.

TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2017, 10:58:31 pm »
That is a very interesting turn of events.  You can see what their reserve dollar amount was by going to your invoice on the equipnet website and clicking the orange link for each item on the invoice.  The dollar amount at the top of the page of that link is (what I believe) to be what their reserve amount was.  It would be interesting to know if they accepted proxy bids at a dollar amount higher than the reserve amount if it turned out that the proxy bid was indeed larger than the reserve amount.

I don't know if the value shown there is their estimated market value and not necessarily their reserve value, of if that is their reserve value.

In my case my accepted bids were only 0.137x, 0.160x, and 0.172x of that estimated or reserve value. These items are discontinued but currently still supported by Keysight. The Keysight Malaysia eBay account recently sold one of these for around 1.6x the estimated or reserve value here so I suppose even after I add up all of my costs this would be an OK deal, again assuming the items are all fully functional.

Of course if I do flip one of these to recoup some of the costs I should try to do it as soon as possible. These things have a way of eventually flooding the used market over time and quickly losing value.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2017, 11:07:26 pm »

That's good since the orange status indicator means that the current bid is below the reserve, but the seller has the discretion to accept or reject the bid. However, I'm undecided how I feel about them taking a higher price from a proxy bid amount if the highest bid is below that. It kind of makes sense, but is kind of weird, too.

I guess I'm ok with them using your proxy bid limit if it's below the reserve value even if that might greatly exceed the amount that the bidding hits during the live auction. If there is something you really want but no one else is interested enough to drive up the live bidding you would probably rather have them potentially accept your proxy bid limit rather than reject a much lower live bid value. I suppose that is more like a sealed bid auction when you're the only one interested. Just as long as you know exactly how it works and base your bidding strategy accordingly.

BTW, I'm more familiar with GoIndustry DoveBid auctions in the past where if the reserve value isn't hit there was no consideration of your proxy bid limit and no sale. This is the first time I have bid on an EQUIPNET auction.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:11:11 pm by gslick »

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2017, 06:07:04 am »
Ah...I didn't see that coming. Received a mail outlining that one of my bids, that was under the reserve, was accepted after all.. Dirt cheap for sure, but I wasn't planning at all to end up with a single piece. So, I'll have to figure out shipping options. Agilent 1683AD headless LA.

Alternatively, I'll have to try to get rid of it. So, if there's anyone local or anyone who has bought stuff and has to ship anyway, let me know. If needed, I'll offload it very cheap or even free if it makes more sense than shipping it to me.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2017, 02:35:00 pm »
Ah...I didn't see that coming. Received a mail outlining that one of my bids, that was under the reserve, was accepted after all.. Dirt cheap for sure, but I wasn't planning at all to end up with a single piece. So, I'll have to figure out shipping options. Agilent 1683AD headless LA.

Alternatively, I'll have to try to get rid of it. So, if there's anyone local or anyone who has bought stuff and has to ship anyway, let me know. If needed, I'll offload it very cheap or even free if it makes more sense than shipping it to me.

I saw those 1693AD but didn't bid on either one to avoid the possibility of finding myself in the situation you are in now. If one of those was the only item with a bid that was accepted the shipping fees on that single item would be too expensive relative to the value of the item.

I plan on picking up some items in person and might offer to do so for you while I was there, but I won't have time to get there until just before the removal deadline Oct 13th.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2017, 03:59:17 pm »
Interesting... Would you still be interested in it? I don't care when you would pick it up...

• Supporter
  • !
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2017, 07:54:30 pm »
So just an FYI for anyone keeping score at home on costs, here was my experience in USD:

Agilent 54624A Mega Zoom Oscilloscope: $105
Handling Fee: $10.00
Buyers Premium (18%): $18.90
-----------------------------------------------------
Invoice Total $133.90

Shipping: $95.00
Insurance: $25 (optional)
-----------------------------------------------------
Grand Total: $228.90

I opted out of insurance, in retrospect probably not wise.  Oh well.  Shipping is what I would expect for a large HP/Agilent scope to be packaged properly.

I found 4 new Keysight 150Mhz probes on eBay for $25.00 each, My OCD made me purchase a cover at $51 and I need to order the accessory pouch that goes on top for another $25.

Total for scope probes cover and pouch:  $404.90

Overall I wouldn't call it a screaming deal, but when you look at the listings on eBay these go for ~$499 up to ridiculous prices.  So I feel I came in at a good value (if it works 100%.)  The scope was powered on and had traces so I am hoping for the best. 

This is basically the same scope Dave liked in EEVblog #591 Agilent (54622D) but with 4 channels and no mixed signal capability, which is ideal for me because I would rather have the extra channels and have a standalone logic analyzer.

I hope this gives you an idea of what to expect at auction from Equipnet.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:58:02 pm by CoalCreekPlastics »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2017, 08:19:30 pm »
I opted out of insurance, in retrospect probably not wise.  Oh well.  Shipping is what I would expect for a large HP/Agilent scope to be packaged properly.
Look what happened to another forum member: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/can-i-do-a-little-ranting-about-shipping/msg1307236/#msg1307236

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2017, 08:22:14 pm »
This is basically the same scope Dave liked in EEVblog #591 Agilent (54622D) but with 4 channels and no mixed signal capability, which is ideal for me because I would rather have the extra channels and have a standalone logic analyzer.
It is a very nice scope.  I have the 54622D.

• Supporter
  • !
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2017, 09:38:44 pm »
Look what happened to another forum member: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/can-i-do-a-little-ranting-about-shipping/msg1307236/#msg1307236

Yikes!  They assured me it would be packed in bubble wrap.  Nothing I can do about it now.  ETA: If it gets here like that I will initiate a chargeback in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:22:17 pm by CoalCreekPlastics »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf