Author Topic: Keysight Shortages?  (Read 2548 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Keysight Shortages?
« on: June 15, 2021, 12:32:16 am »
I've heard from Keysight that none of the winners from the recent contest have shipped yet, either my winners, or the ones on thir own website. They have cited the global componant shortage as a reason.
Anyone else had any problems with Keysight stock?
Maybe it's just their new instrument line?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Keysight Shortages?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 02:04:27 am »
 :-DD
Defpom won a SDS2104X Plus and he had his hot little mitts on it in under 2 weeks.

Siglent had some production delays extending to 6 weeks for some products but that was way back in March/April so has component shortage only just hit KS ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 03:23:41 am »
I do know a few months ago Keysight raised the prices on a lot of their new equipment sold on ebay.  For example, I know the U1282A and U1233A basically doubled overnight.

As a general opinion comment I would say there was a drastic reduction in manufacturing during COVID (certain things were prioritized), and now with the recovery there is a higher demand for many items.  Also, some governments have been handing out relief money like candy, so people are spending but not wanting to go back to work.

The following users thanked this post: Harshadb13

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 06:11:37 am »
Defpom won a SDS2104X Plus and he had his hot little mitts on it in under 2 weeks.
Siglent had some production delays extending to 6 weeks for some products but that was way back in March/April so has component shortage only just hit KS ?  :-//

Keysight have said that most probably won't notice it because the distributor supply chain has stock. But for more exotic things, and for the newer lower end items they have been hit with both the component shortage problem and also greater than expected demand on their lower end instruments. So bit of a doule whammy there.

The following users thanked this post: Harshadb13

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 07:34:00 am »

Keysight have said that most probably won't notice it because the distributor supply chain has stock. But for more exotic things, and for the newer lower end items they have been hit with both the component shortage problem and also greater than expected demand on their lower end instruments. So bit of a double whammy there.
Exactly the same here...increased demand plus new product releases.
For example SDS2104X Plus have been difficult to find in the US for a good while because as fast as they come into stock they sell to fill backorders. Just glad we stocked up on them as they keep vanishing here too !  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 08:02:12 am »
For example SDS2104X Plus have been difficult to find in the US for a good while because as fast as they come into stock they sell to fill backorders. Just glad we stocked up on them as they keep vanishing here too !  :)

When I get my new storage room I might order up big time on my meters. At the moment I'm only buying in lots of 300, and I can't even really fit that in my space.
Can use the other storage bunker, but then it's double handling which is a big PITA.
And yes, i know I'm contributing to the problem, but it's every dealer for themselves  ;D

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 08:40:56 am »

When I get my new storage room I might order up big time on my meters. At the moment I'm only buying in lots of 300, and I can't even really fit that in my space.
Can use the other storage bunker, but then it's double handling which is a big PITA.
And yes, i know I'm contributing to the problem, but it's every dealer for themselves  ;D
Storage is becoming a problem here too although in a rural setting it's not too hard to knock up another shed or for that matter get a 20' container as a lockup.
Certainly don't envy you needing $ commercial premises.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 09:17:22 am »

Luckily I own it. But even owning it costs money to keep and use.
Even renting small storage space isn't cheap.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 09:21:15 am »

Luckily I own it. But even owning it costs money to keep and use.
Even renting small storage space isn't cheap.
Don't you in Oz have some significant restrictions on running a small business from home ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 08:33:02 am »
Keysight have said that most probably won't notice it because the distributor supply chain has stock. But for more exotic things, and for the newer lower end items they have been hit with both the component shortage problem and also greater than expected demand on their lower end instruments. So bit of a doule whammy there.
Same in EU. Ordered a 34465A (is that low end? Guess so) from the main distributor in France when they said they had stock. Got a mail back stating delays. Been 4 weeks now. Have requested an update. Farnell and others have stock over 100 items though.

Edit: they have pushed back the delivery to mid August, which would make it a 3 month delay for now. The component shortage is indeed cited as the cause.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 01:23:38 pm by bateau020 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 10:20:46 am »
Don't you in Oz have some significant restrictions on running a small business from home ?

Nope. Unless you have signage and customers coming and going etc then you might need council approval.
Most people don't know though that if they claim part of their house as an office for tax reasons, then they will pay capital gains tax on that part of the house if they sell it.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 12:17:22 am »

Nope.
OK had my wires crossed.
Unless you have signage and customers coming and going etc then you might need council approval.
Most people don't know though that if they claim part of their house as an office for tax reasons, then they will pay capital gains tax on that part of the house if they sell it.
Oh that's certainly a trap for young players in Oz.  :o
We only have capital gains taxes by stealth here with a 'bright line' test on how long you've owned property before you flick it off again.
Was introduced to attempt to manage the recent rampant housing price inflation and has pushed many speculators from the market when instead gubbermints should be addressing the many cost barriers to building more and better satisfying demand.  |O
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline jmw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2021, 12:52:02 am »
I have a R&S spectrum analyzer that went back for warranty service in May. It's not the first time it's had to go back |O but they usually turn it around within a week. It's been nearly a month and they've already pushed the date back once, now due sometime next week. I haven't pressed for details but if they have to rework or replace boards I wouldn't be surprised if the shortages are affecting repairs too.

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2021, 12:27:48 pm »
I just bought 3x 34465 and a 33520 function generator, got them after 2 weeks.
I am available for freelance work.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2021, 03:58:04 pm »
I've heard from Keysight that none of the winners from the recent contest have shipped yet, either my winners, or the ones on thir own website. They have cited the global componant shortage as a reason.
Anyone else had any problems with Keysight stock?
Maybe it's just their new instrument line?

Good timing. I was on the verge of emailing you to ask if the non-appearance  of my prize scope still fell under the "be patient" heading or the "my neighbour's nicked my delivery" heading. Now I know.

I can sympathise, I'm having difficulty getting hold  dribs and drabs of components for hobby projects where I can substitute to my heart's content because I still have a lot of flexibility.  I dread to think what it's going to be like for someone like Keysight who typically qualify every component they use. Just about every part that I pick in the first instance is out of stock and I have to go back and substitute a more expensive/higher precision/different footprint part. On a recent order I needed some 1nF C0G caps and ended up with 200V automotive qualified parts as that was the cheapest that was actually in stock. Similarly I ordered up a few hundred extra 10k 0805 resistors the other week because I'd come so close to not getting any that it seemed prudent to stock up. It's reached the point that I'm holding off finalising the PCB design for my latest project until I've actually got the whole BOM in my sweaty little mitts.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2021, 04:03:31 pm »
Farnell and others have stock over 100 items though.

Farnell's on line quoted stock numbers aren't worth the pixels they're painted on the screen with. I (and others) have been bitten many times by ordering 'in stock' items to find that after hitting the 'order' button they magically turn into back order items. I don't use Farnell any more...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2021, 06:01:47 pm »
Has happened to me also, but not very often. My main client is in retail, giving me the opportunity to experience first hand what types of shit can happen with stock level counters.
This time they have been good to me. With the counter going down slowly from 101 to 98 to 97 I took the risk. And mine got shipped the same day as the order, so that seems OK. Much better than the main FR distributor where they just said "in stock" without any other indication, to finally put it on backorder when ordered.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 06:03:34 pm by bateau020 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf