Author Topic: REVIEW - Owon SDS7102 - A look at the SDS series from Owon  (Read 1327380 times)

Offline cex

• Contributor
Re: Review of Owon SDS7102
« Reply #475 on: December 22, 2011, 06:46:02 pm »
to 10us and there persistence.
no persitence with 10ms

Here my results... it looks like the unit is picking up some interference.
I have a broadcast (TV+Radio) not too far away (maybe 5 Km).
I'll try again at my office that is on another location.
The test were performed running from battery with power cable unplugged from unit.

From the post by ForceFed I see I do not have the same problem (or at least not so huge).

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:47:50 pm by cex »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #476 on: December 22, 2011, 07:22:54 pm »
ForceFed:

Your unit have this problem and it is very clear. It absolutely sure have this problem with full level.
This unit need  "repair". It need this small change what Owon use now in production.

cex:

It looks like your unit have this problem but quite small level. But clearly it is there.
This is nearly as "borderline".  If you can live with it, it do not affect normal use so much.
(This is my opinion after I have look all pictures and explanations.)

If it is problem, it can "repair". In this case it need do same change what Owon use now in production.

As you before tell you have problem to send it to Owon China or some other place Owon service.

If this is case and you have enough experience and skill you can do it. There is some things what is good to know how it is maybe most easy to do without extra "try and learn" turns.
But whole oscilloscope need dismantle nearly fully and there are some things what may easy damage it, also it really need good practice with ESD safety. Also there are some easy fragile things, but also - this is not missile or moon rocket.. .
Repair itself is very simple (and more simple if you have this small part from Owon - but also it can solve with simple "DIY" solution. More problem is open and dismantle it without damages so that it can do.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline cex

• Contributor
« Reply #477 on: December 23, 2011, 07:25:28 am »
I think that I can live with it, but it would be nice to have it fixed.
I won't be sending it back to China if I can avoid it (Spanish customs is a nightmare and I will surely have to pay again despite the fact the equipment is sent back for repairment, and I also don't have any other oscilloscope at home for the meantime). On the other hand, there's no official Owon technical service in Spain (as far as I know).

I have access to an ESD safe area at work, and I'm trained in handling electronic equipment. I  have also access to professional soldering/desoldering equipment, so it would be nice if you could provide instructions so I can evaluate if it is worth to take the risk.

Have you got a photograph of the Owon mechanical part required? Can it be replicated easily?

Anyway I'll contact Owon and the Chinese seller for that part (have you got a reference?) and for a more silent fan (the current one is quite annoying if you are in a silent environment).

Thank you very much for your support on this issue.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #478 on: December 23, 2011, 09:01:55 am »
I think that I can live with it, but it would be nice to have it fixed.
I won't be sending it back to China if I can avoid it (Spanish customs is a nightmare and I will surely have to pay again despite the fact the equipment is sent back for repairment, and I also don't have any other oscilloscope at home for the meantime). On the other hand, there's no official Owon technical service in Spain (as far as I know).

I have access to an ESD safe area at work, and I'm trained in handling electronic equipment. I  have also access to professional soldering/desoldering equipment, so it would be nice if you could provide instructions so I can evaluate if it is worth to take the risk.

Have you got a photograph of the Owon mechanical part required? Can it be replicated easily?

Anyway I'll contact Owon and the Chinese seller for that part (have you got a reference?) and for a more silent fan (the current one is quite annoying if you are in a silent environment).

Thank you very much for your support on this issue.

Ok.

I will later collect some pics and guide how it can do also if do not have this Owon part.

But please ask first Owon. You can also tell that you have experience and skill to do it if they accept (in this case you may keep warranty status still valid)  Then if they send this small part to you its ok... but also you can do (maybe better) it your self.

Later, inside some days I can collect some pictures and instructions how to do it. (with DIY part or with Owon part)
Then I send this info with PM.

But try ask first Owon.
You can tell that you have new improved SDS7102 with LAN  (give serial number to Owon also) and it have CH1 noise problem. (tell in this letter that your problem is well known inside Owon and you want now know how you can get it repaired. You can not accept this kind of error in product.)
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline zdp_84

« Reply #479 on: December 23, 2011, 09:26:48 am »
Hi, guys!
I want to buy the SDS7102. But I understand that it can't operate with equivalent frequency (I didn't found it in user manual). Is it necessary option for periodical signals? How often is it used?
Thank you!

Offline cex

• Contributor
« Reply #480 on: December 23, 2011, 10:02:09 am »

Ok.

I will later collect some pics and guide how it can do also if do not have this Owon part.

But please ask first Owon. You can also tell that you have experience and skill to do it if they accept (in this case you may keep warranty status still valid)  Then if they send this small part to you its ok... but also you can do (maybe better) it your self.

Later, inside some days I can collect some pictures and instructions how to do it. (with DIY part or with Owon part)

But try ask first Owon.
You can tell that you have new improved SDS7102 with LAN  (give serial number to Owon also) and it have CH1 noise problem. (tell in this letter that your problem is well known inside Owon and you want now know how you can get it repaired. You can not accept this kind of error in product.)

I have just sent an email asking for the required part as well as for a replacement for the fan.
I will let you know when they respond.

Thank you.

Offline Deneteus

« Reply #481 on: December 23, 2011, 10:18:11 am »
Anybody know a reputable seller in the US that has the latest version SDS7102-V without the noise issue?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #482 on: December 23, 2011, 11:44:45 am »
Anybody know a reputable seller in the US that has the latest version SDS7102-V without the noise issue?

This issue is not in all "improved" version. It maybe (agen: maybe) in units what  have serial SDS71021143xxx up to SDS71021149xxx  (these may have this issue...  (with my own eyes I know some serial prefixes 1149 and these some units have, some do not have or have only very small level this problem)

I do not know what serial prefix they start this improved version what also have LAN as default.

If serial is SDS71021152xxx or later it do not have at all this issue (here they sure change it in manufacturing... also maybe littlebit before. (maybe somewhere between 1149xxx - 1152000
Also old construction do not have this issue. (in this first generation version whole front end construction is different) I do not know what serial number it exactly change.

(also repair is "easy". No need solder anything etc work for circuits. There need only isolate one conductive road (on the GND) where this noise RF travel inside scope to wrong area. One small metal part need change to not conductive material.)

Disclaimer: This is not official information! Only my own logical mutual thinking together what I have really also see with my own eyes in some units.

Offline nkcelectronics

« Reply #483 on: December 28, 2011, 03:19:36 am »
The units we are selling on amazon were received in the US on December 12th, 2011 and they have the LAN interface by default.  We are offering amazon return policy on these units.

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #484 on: December 28, 2011, 10:44:35 am »
Hello everybody, 23 dec. i received this scope from aghp,
perfect seller, he explained me all that said rf-loop before
about different versions etc. The scope with battery arrived
with perfect package (italian-post-proof :) ),
the serial is SDS71021149xxx  it has LAN and VGA out.
The about dialog show Version V2.4.1.
Now I'm trying do decode bin file format, It's a pain to
handle the huge csv file.
Has anybody tried to understand the owon bin file?
There is an owon document that explains:
OWON_Oscilloscope_PC_Guidance_Manual,
this is the map I understood so far.
From the file start, big endian.
Has anybody worked with it?

Added the png version of the pdf.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:51:06 am by muvideo »
Fabio Eboli.

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #485 on: December 28, 2011, 07:39:06 pm »
..... big endian.
Has anybody worked with it?

Thank you about feedback.
Now I can see that I have made small mistake.

I'm so sorry about this hassle. Mistake is fully mine.
In "Guidance" manual it is right: "Little-Endian",
but least in one my email I have accidentally write wrong as "Big-Endian".
It seems that my memory is bad.

If someone need more explanation it can find example here:
Some explanation about "Big Endian" and "Little Endian".

Just byte order if data need more than one byte.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:45:04 pm by aghp »
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #486 on: December 28, 2011, 09:39:52 pm »
aghp,
thank you for your help, don't worry you havent' made mistakes,
or at least the "big endian" in your email gone unnoticed by me,
and I made the same mistake writing the previous message here.
The endianess is something i confuse often :)
The bin file is little endian, and I'm reading it as little endian.
I can decode the file with a test script, but there are still
fields that are not clear, when I have more time I'll test better
the various settings. Another thing is that when I save
the file from the dso on 4gb usb key (formatted Fat32 4k cluster)
sometime that the file doesn't show on pc, and the disk shows
some errors in scandisk.

In attachment une of the decoding tests with a python script.
The voltage seems correct, the timebase is unimplemented yet.
The red dotted lines are the clipping levels.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:41:42 pm by muvideo »
Fabio Eboli.

Offline cex

• Contributor
« Reply #487 on: December 29, 2011, 07:57:59 am »

But try ask first Owon.

Owon has contacted me offering to send me the spare part required and a new fan.
Will let you know when I receive them.
Until the moment, they had a great response. It's good to know that the product is well supported by the manufacturer.

Regards.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #488 on: December 29, 2011, 09:17:53 am »
Someone have share in internet Owon "service manual V1.0".
This manual is highly obsolete for new versions and specially for new 4Q2011 improved HW versions.
There are even pictures what are maybe made before real production have started?
(example FAN is installed different and wrong side of Z base plate).
It is different in versions before front end improvements and after improvements. maybe some pictures are from prototype phase?
Also least today with improved versions oscilloscope disassembly and assembly work is littlebit different.

Main changes:

Power unit (different D4 assembly and some minor differencies) new version is 1.5

Adapter board: Totally different and also no anymore VGA cable (also dimensions have changed)

Main board: Totally different: Added LAN, VGA chip now on the main board (optionally), front end construction totally different, connection to front panel board is different. Before direct pin connector, now flat cable.
Front panel board, different becouse connection to mainboard have changed.
F1-F5 -  H1-H5 key boards changed (now only one board)

There maybe coming some pictures and some (unofficial) guide for new improved model for assembly and disassembly and there is pictures and text material for this but they are not ready and I have not any rights for any part of this material what I have seen.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #489 on: December 29, 2011, 09:28:42 am »
Owon has contacted me offering to send me the spare part required and a new fan.
Will let you know when I receive them.

Great, please take a few shots of those spare part and share it here once you got it.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #490 on: December 29, 2011, 12:30:16 pm »
This I can share.
There is also DIY version what is just more easy.
(5 - 5.5mm nylon rod. Exactly 14.9 - 15.0 mm lenght. Drill center both ends diameter ~2mm hole (depends what screw you use) around 5mm deep.
You need this nylon part and 2 pcs 6mm long screw where is just diameter 2.5 - 3mm thread (sparse thread).

(take old metal pillar out and install this)

It isolate inside front end near CH1 sensitive parts GND so that RF noise in Z base plate can not pollute this sensitive GND area with RF noise. There is more long and nice explanation but this is enough here.)

Owon original nylon pillar is more thick than original metal pillar.
If factory have installed nylon pillar there is no problem with hole what is in RF shield.
If retrofit this pillar it may need light mechanical fix so that it can install. (if RF shield hole is not exactly centered.
Front side and back side RF shield need watch that do not push too down so that these shield make short circuit inside parts. They are very close.  DO NOT tru desolder RF shields if you do not have extremely good soldering tools as class "Metcal" or compatible. many poor soldering tools need use too hot temperature and only it can destroy board. It need really lot of heating power!
Front side RF shield need this plastic isolation what have glued over it.
Before you assemble all back inspect front panel board just under this RF shield can area and if need cut some wires more short if they have contacted to this insulator plastic.
In all work use good ESD protection! (all know that unit may work after ESD but it may suddenly stop working later, after weeks, after months  - and it is not magic, it is physic)

But I "believe" there is quite soon coming better disassembly and assembly guide for these more new versions.

Here in picture is Original Owon factory part!

Offline Deneteus

« Reply #491 on: December 29, 2011, 09:20:39 pm »
My scope finally arrived today from Ebay Seller eeLAB (AideTek)

I emailed to make sure this was an updated model:

New OWON 100Mhz Oscilloscope SDS7102 1G/s large 8" LCD LAN VGA battery included

Firmware Version 2.5.1  Serial: SDS71021152xxx

Offline DaMaDo

• Contributor
  • Mechanical Engineering Student interested in EE
« Reply #492 on: December 30, 2011, 01:41:36 am »
Last night I ordered the same from Aidetek also, although under the smtzone ebay name. They seem to have 3-4 names on ebay.

I put a note and emailed them to make sure  the serial number is SDS71021152xxx or later.

Hopefully they can make it happen. I'll post back the version I get.

They have a good deal with the battery included.

Offline Deneteus

« Reply #493 on: December 30, 2011, 05:33:58 am »
Yeah mine was $513 shipped. The response I got is that the shipment they received the week of the 23rd was all the latest updated from China.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:46:46 am by Deneteus »

Offline DaMaDo

• Contributor
  • Mechanical Engineering Student interested in EE
« Reply #494 on: December 30, 2011, 05:49:19 am »
Nice, mine was the same price. Hopefully mine's as uo to date as yours.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #495 on: December 30, 2011, 09:32:37 am »
Afaik,  SDS710211xxzzz 
11 may bee year, xx is manufacture "week" or better say "some kind of lot number" becouse How it can be week 52 if they are made on week 50 (this I know exactly... I have seen ...52... and it have made just ending of w49 or just beginning of w50 exactly (or weekend w49/50), in Owon factory).
zzz is number in this "lot"
Itself they do not mean anything meaningfull to end user. They can think just as serial number.
We can look tektronix serial number, Agilent (HP) serial numbers etc.

Somewhere in 4Q2011 they change this hardware version and 1149xxx - 1152xxx HW is same. (they are these "improved" versions.)  Original first improved HW version maybe started  somewhere between 1137xxx - 1149xxx who knows this?

No one know how to read oscilloscope displayed version number.
What information in version number tell if some have really changed example in UI or features?
If FW itself is functionally same exept options included  to UI, example there is RS232 or VGA this version is different?
If there is not VGA there can not see VGA set in menu. If there is not RS232 you can not find anything for RS232 in UI menu. So FW is "different". ;)

Also example I have made upgrade to V2.1.1  but still it is V2.1.1.  (nice?)

I have no any perfect knowledge what is exactly serial number where they change to this "original first improved HW version".  Also I do not know exact serial where they change  to "patched improved HW version".  Maybe there is not exactly serial number as "before and after" becouse it is possible that they have also made this patch inside Owon  before shipping to some lot of ready scopes just after they know this problem and before these have shipped out. 

Only difference I can see is CH1 possible noise problem in "original first improved HW version"  This patch after this issue is only cut one RF noise "road" inside oscilloscope so that one metal pillar from Z-plate to main board is changed to nylon pillar so that Z-baseplate noise can not travel to sensitive circuits inside CH1 front end RF shielded block.

I have not get any changelog from Owon and not explanation about "version" numbering.
If take V2.4.1   what is 2 meaning, what is 4 meaning, what is 1 meaning.
How there is implemented factory options example VGA / RS232.

Also if someone know what are these Aktacom (=Owon) versions?

How peoples can know what Agilent serial numbers have HW minor or higher level changes? ;)
I go to service parts store for my car.  Sometimes they only ask year model but many many times they ask car "serail number" and then they look some database that just this serial number have this rare water pump... and and I need some O-ring  oh... what is your car serial number..
But when I buy my car, I have not been interest what serial number I get. Do I need?

Why there is "version" number and why it is important if we do not know anything how to read it and what it is meaning?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:43:20 am by rf-loop »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #496 on: December 31, 2011, 09:00:39 am »
My scope finally arrived today from Ebay Seller eeLAB (AideTek)

I emailed to make sure this was an updated model:

New OWON 100Mhz Oscilloscope SDS7102 1G/s large 8" LCD LAN VGA battery included

Firmware Version 2.5.1  Serial: SDS71021152xxx

Becouse I have seen SDS71021152xxx    (VGA + LAN)  and in factory directed to European Union (EU) area.  What I have seen there is V2.4.1

Now I hope you can confirm that this version number is right.
If it is not typemistake then I ask you list all languages what are istalled in FW.
(I hope to find some explanation for this version numbering hassle in Owon)
In some manuals there reads:
Chinese, English, Others
is it possible that this "Others" vary in different area of world? And this may also then affect version number?

(Of course factory have localised these to different part of world becouse different powerconnectors but is it possible that they do also other kind of localisation? )

Later I visit place where I can see nearly end of year made 2.4.1 EU versions, now I do not remember this language set.

alm

« Reply #497 on: December 31, 2011, 02:37:24 pm »
Itself they do not mean anything meaningfull to end user. They can think just as serial number.
We can look tektronix serial number, Agilent (HP) serial numbers etc.

How peoples can know what Agilent serial numbers have HW minor or higher level changes? ;)

HP used to change the serial number prefix for significant hardware changes, eg. from 2015A... to 2201A... . So a change like this would have been immediately obious from the serial number. I believe Agilent does the same, but I don't have any Agilent equipment on hand to check.

Offline somlioy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #498 on: December 31, 2011, 08:00:42 pm »
Hi

I've encountered another odd problem with my SDS7102 oscilloscope. When I was moving some of my stuff around I had it disconnected from the power gird over the night and when I powered it up again it wouldnt boot, and a red light instead of the green one was present. After a while in standby-mode the red light turns green, and when I turn it on the green turns red. When waiting even longer it'll boot up correctly but the settings are lost. (Measurements etc.)

Offline aghp

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #499 on: January 01, 2012, 08:29:03 pm »
There other thread you can find link to Illustrated Guide pdf for disassemble, fix and assemble related to CH1 possible noise issue in some improved SDS7102 versions.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5883.0

There you find link

-aghp
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:52:12 pm by aghp »
EU: Owon oscilloscopes and in Finland also  some Siglent selected equipments. All with our  lab deep Q.C. in Finland.  Surplus test equipments. Repair service. 40 year experience about electric and electronic repair, service and design. Local Owon SDS-Series  repair service for our customers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf