Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2782114 times)

Aldo22 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline jmsc_02

• Regular Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #775 on: January 13, 2016, 04:43:09 pm »
Dear

I've just received my last purchase (30€):

An old and dusty Tek 7263A with seven modules (4 dual trace amplifier, 2 delay time base, and one differential comparator).

It's power on but nothing on the display. The prize of do this is if I can repair it. I hope it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:51:22 pm by jmsc_02 »
i am doing a great effort to get my english plugin up and running, but it has its bugs and "zero days" fails so please, help me to improve it!

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #776 on: January 13, 2016, 05:23:41 pm »
WOW, where did you get that bargain?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #777 on: January 13, 2016, 05:25:26 pm »
Just ordered a Rigol DSA815-TG Spec-An, been wanting one for a long time. Cool deal with the EEVBlog discount and it comes with a free TVBTECH GL8898 Inspection Camera with Color LCD Monitor.  8)

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline jmsc_02

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #778 on: January 13, 2016, 05:35:03 pm »

On a second hand site after move heaven and earth. It's too hard find things like this in our countries. :'(
i am doing a great effort to get my english plugin up and running, but it has its bugs and "zero days" fails so please, help me to improve it!

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #779 on: January 13, 2016, 05:58:50 pm »
Altium 16
 :phew:
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline jmsc_02

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #780 on: January 13, 2016, 06:49:40 pm »
Altium 16
 :phew:

It hurt... My condolences

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #781 on: January 14, 2016, 08:58:05 am »

On a second hand site after move heaven and earth. It's too hard find things like this in our countries. :'(

So true! I only find good things for a reasonable price on eBay and the shipping costs are absurd. All the things I find here costs arround twice the eBay items with shipping costs  |O

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #782 on: January 14, 2016, 12:03:08 pm »
Finally got the Advantest TR4171 delivered...what a bloody beast at ~50kg.

Only goes from 10Hz-120MHz but that's enough for now, I only wanted it for basic audio work and such. It has a 1Meg input option which tolerates 30Vrms or -/+100VDC, perfect for a newbie like me.  :P

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #783 on: January 14, 2016, 12:19:31 pm »
Hard cover edition of The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and UNIX System Programming Handbook

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #784 on: January 14, 2016, 02:02:29 pm »
Not exactly today, but yesterday (I had an issue with internet).
Not a real bargain, but a good price, and good shape!

Nice! I've got an E3634A some time ago (basically a 200W version of yours as I understand) but it is broken. I attempted a repair as per the linked thread but no success so far. I tried a little more a couple weeks ago but I just lack competence to pull it off I guess.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/agilent-e3634a-fails-with-error-718/

I might PM you asking a couple favors in case you're willing to pop yours open and probe a couple things, as I assume yours is very similar to mine  ::)

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #785 on: January 14, 2016, 08:08:57 pm »
Finally got the Advantest TR4171 delivered...what a bloody beast at ~50kg.

Only goes from 10Hz-120MHz but that's enough for now, I only wanted it for basic audio work and such. It has a 1Meg input option which tolerates 30Vrms or -/+100VDC, perfect for a newbie like me.  :P
I've got the TR4172 here and I really like this analyser despite its age. I've been using this one since 1990 at work and I bought it from the company many years ago.

Interestingly, I see that your display unit is different to mine. It has a different layout for the buttons. I would have expected the top display unit to be the same in terms of the front panel design.

I'm not sure how much mine weighs. The manual says 50kg but I think it may be heavier than that.

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #786 on: January 15, 2016, 04:16:42 am »
I've got the TR4172 here and I really like this analyser despite its age. I've been using this one since 1990 at work and I bought it from the company many years ago.

I've been on the lookout for a TR4172, I can only find one or two decent looking listings per year but they are usually a bit pricey at $600-$800 which is too much after shipping. Lots of listings are also missing the interconnects, maybe I'll get lucky later in the year.  ^-^

I've seen the elusive TR4173 *once*, I think it goes to 5GHz but I have no idea how it performs.

The TR4171 cost $200 or so, it was cheap enough that even if I didn't particularly need it at the moment, it was a good buy purely for the educational value.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #787 on: January 15, 2016, 01:16:40 pm »
Wow, I didn't know that the 5GHz TR4173 even existed! I just googled for it and there are a few images. The display unit is different again with respect to the button layout.

I used my TR4172 for several years at work when designing various RF up/down converters so I am a bit nostalgic about this old analyser. When it was new it was so expensive the company had to have it donated to us as part of a big project. These analysers were extremely expensive when new. Much more than the rival HP8568B.

I bought a second TR4172 a couple of years ago as a non runner for about £250. I managed to get it running for no extra cost although I really just wanted it as a spares donor. I've seen others for sale at similar prices so they are becoming available. However, my first TR4172 has needed several (low cost) repairs since I bought it from the company. Nothing major, but it has been apart a few times now. So if mine is a typical example, I expect that there could be a few cheap non runners available at very low prices in the future.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #788 on: January 15, 2016, 02:55:27 pm »
Purchased last night:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161944067385?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Another HP 6114A, this one has some obvious impact damage to the front (the ground pin is a big mangled) and is QUITE dirt covered. Got it for $55 shipped to my door. Figure at that price it is well worth it, even if it takes some rehab to get it back up and running. For me, I wanted a second to match my first (version with the 10-turn knob and the large power switch) so this was a decent price.

Missed out on one that was ACTUALLY in the freaking town I am living it. Damn thing was a NOS 6114A, someone else got it back when I was on winter break visiting family.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:00:50 pm by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #789 on: January 15, 2016, 03:18:05 pm »
Purchased last night:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161944067385?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Another HP 6114A, this one has some obvious impact damage to the front (the ground pin is a big mangled) and is QUITE dirt covered. Got it for $55 shipped to my door.

Is that the right link? I don't see any damage or much dirt and the listed price was $159.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
« Reply #790 on: January 15, 2016, 03:35:03 pm »
Purchased last night:

Another HP 6114A, this one has some obvious impact damage to the front (the ground pin is a big mangled) and is QUITE dirt covered. Got it for $55 shipped to my door.

Is that the right link? I don't see any damage or much dirt and the listed price was $159.
Yep that's it. Notice the damage by the jacks, the way the body is bent in. Also notice that the dial is at 10V despite the setting being at 3.8V if it is even on. Plus there is loads of fine dirt all over it. It hasn't had a will treated life it appears.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #791 on: January 15, 2016, 03:41:46 pm »
Wow.  $55 shipped is a good deal - almost 1/3 of the asking price!

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #792 on: January 15, 2016, 03:51:55 pm »
Purchased last night:

Yep that's it. Notice the damage by the jacks, the way the body is bent in. Also notice that the dial is at 10V despite the setting being at 3.8V if it is even on. Plus there is loads of fine dirt all over it. It hasn't had a will treated life it appears.

But don't forget one thing: "CALIBRATION NOT REQUIRED"  :scared:

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
« Reply #793 on: January 15, 2016, 04:13:48 pm »
Wow.  $55 shipped is a good deal - almost 1/3 of the asking price!

I wasn't about to pay what he was offering. The price was WAY too high. At most I would pay around $100 shipped for a fully working one, so I offered $50 and gave a bunch of reasons why it wasn't worth what he was asking. He returned with $55 about two minutes later, free shipping was the killer part here. So I of course accepted. Based on how it appears, it will need some definite work, I just hope there isn't any major impact damage on the inside.

But don't forget one thing: "CALIBRATION NOT REQUIRED"  :scared:

That could mean it is broken, but that could also mean that it was used in a section of the company where GMP did not apply. I have had some instruments that we never calibrate because we don't really care that they are in spec all that much. We are looking for yes/no type of answers which they can still give.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:16:07 pm by PedroDaGr8 »

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #794 on: January 15, 2016, 05:46:32 pm »
Farnell trade counter score  ;D I love Leeds

EA-PS 2042-10B (10A, 42V, 160W power supply) marked £95
GW Instek SFG-2004 signal generator (4MHz DDS - unfortunately not arbitrary but still pretty good) marked £150
BNC cable for above
plus original boxes, manuals and cables for the two instruments
& 50m reel of AWG22 (pink, yuck)

£160 including VAT for the lot. Couldn't get my wallet out any faster!

Never hurts to ask what they're willing to take to clear a lot of stuff all at once. They just want it gone!

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #795 on: January 15, 2016, 07:37:06 pm »
I would give 200£ for it easly  ;D

Great deal you got there!

Online macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #796 on: January 16, 2016, 02:43:38 pm »
Found a few deals at a local recycler:

Hakko 470 desoldering gun (genuine). The shop had two: one marked "fully working" at $200 (CDN) and another marked "vacuum does not work at all" for $50. I haggled on the latter and paid $30 (CDN = $20 USD). Got home, cleaned it up, turned on... heater works, pulled trigger... vacuum pump is running at least. Cleared the blockages in the tip and especially in the heater, and it works like a charm. The filters look practically new, soft and not hardened with flux residue. I had always wanted a proper desoldering tool, but the price put me off. Sometimes it pays to wait.

I also bought a few rolls of solder: SAC305 just because I didn't yet have any lead-free, Alpha Cleanline 7000 63/37, and Kester 245 in 62/36/2 (2% silver) in both 0.02" and 0.01". Most spools were nearly 1 lb. $5 each, even the silver ones. And I couldn't resist a 100 foot spool (or two) of solder wick for $5 each too, since a person could pay that much for a mere 5 feet at retail. I don't think I'll ever need to buy solder or wick again.

I also found a couple of interesting Tek probes in a box full of various probes and leads. I don't really need more probes, but these were Low-Z ones, Tek P6158, which are 3 GHz, 1.5 pF, 20x (1 kOhm) probes. I know it's easy to make Low-Z probes, but it isn't easy to compensate them for flat frequency response, and it sure isn't worth it when you can buy two literally brand new Tek P6158 for $5 each!  The only little problem is that they are missing the accessories, so no ground bayonet or springs. I happen to have some extra 3.5 mm Tek bayonets exactly like the ones that would come with these, and I think I can make up my own springs when/if I need them.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #797 on: January 16, 2016, 03:15:23 pm »
Jealous..
Nice score.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Supercharged

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #798 on: January 16, 2016, 08:10:39 pm »
6CHF ~ 6$ Auction score:
Siemens Oscillar I, a valve based oscilloscope,
including original manual and scematic.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:44:15 pm by Supercharged »
Science is about what is, engeneering is about what can be.
-Neil Armstrong

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #799 on: January 16, 2016, 08:33:24 pm »
6 what? US Dollars?  :wtf: No way!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf